Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

myself posted:

This is a question dealing with song-identification, but not of songs I don't know.. Actually I'm listening to the Au Pairs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_Pairs_(band), and I can't make out some of the lyrics for some of the songs I like, and I'm wondering if anyone has access to any lyrics for Au Pairs. Each lyrics website I go to has only a handful of songs and there are many I can't find anywhere. If anyone knows where I can get Au Pairs lyrics, primarily from Stepping Out Of Line Anthology, that would be cool! Or if anyone knows the band really well I could ask them some specific questions maybe...
Similar to this, I can't for the life of me figure out the lyrics to "Between the Lines" by the Pink Fairies, someone help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I know some goons like classical, but this is a shot in the dark.

Back in high school orchestra we had a piece we played. The composer's name has left me, but I can still here the song in my head.

Anyways, the theme behind the song is:

You're floating down a river, and during this time the song has arpeggios going up and down. About halfway through the song, you float past a wedding on the bank and it turns from a minor key into a major key, and has really happy like music (think wedding music). After you pass the wedding, the song returns to the original river theme.

I can't for the life of me remember what this is, but it is a fairly common/popular sheet music song. Goons, help me with your collective brain power.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

RM0099 posted:

I know some goons like classical, but this is a shot in the dark.

Back in high school orchestra we had a piece we played. The composer's name has left me, but I can still here the song in my head.

Anyways, the theme behind the song is:

You're floating down a river, and during this time the song has arpeggios going up and down. About halfway through the song, you float past a wedding on the bank and it turns from a minor key into a major key, and has really happy like music (think wedding music). After you pass the wedding, the song returns to the original river theme.

I can't for the life of me remember what this is, but it is a fairly common/popular sheet music song. Goons, help me with your collective brain power.

Are you possibly referring to Handel's Water Music?

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really

skeetz posted:

I was watching Daria the other day, and they played a tiny clip of a song. I had heard the song before, but they only played the tiny intro part, and I can't remember for the life of me how the rest of the song goes. It is driving me absolutely nuts.
The intro part sounds the the words "break it" but like scratched on a record and repeated 5 or 6 times with a beat in the background.
"break it breakit m-breakit break-breakit"
If you can identify the episode check out this for a list of songs

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Sweetwater Kill posted:

Are you possibly referring to Handel's Water Music?

Actually, after intense googling of certain key words, I found the answer.

The song was "The Moldau" by Bedrich Smetana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmX4gSChJsc

bunnyavenger
Dec 18, 2005
On the cusp of something good....
When I was fourteen my brother played a lot of Moby and Fatboy Slim and various house and trance.

I remember a song with a singer who was either Macy Gray or sounded like her and the hook was "I love singing, gets me high" or something very similar.

Now I'm a house DJ and can't figure out what the hell it was or if I made it up or remembered incorrectly.

Edit, I think it was a Linda Lewis remix.

Google says she has a song with the line "i like singing, gets me high"

Remixed by Turin Brakes.... I think I just nailed it.

Nope... Midfield General. I can't believe I was one word off.

bunnyavenger fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 26, 2009

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbp7fn-oP_8

Youtube changed the audio of the track to some piano piece. I was wondering if anyone know what the piano piece was?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Had one pop in my head tonight on the way home.

It's by Phil Collins (I think), and it's from the 80s or early 90s. I can't remember the lyrics, but there is a part where it goes something like "ain't nothing the same /it's just a shame/ that song"

As you can imagine, googling Phil Collins That Song doesn't really help out much.

Any helps appreciated on this one. It's gonna bug me until I either hear the song or get it out of my head with a shotgun :argh:

gman5959
May 17, 2008

I think she's a honey. Look at those jugs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Had one pop in my head tonight on the way home.

It's by Phil Collins (I think), and it's from the 80s or early 90s. I can't remember the lyrics, but there is a part where it goes something like "ain't nothing the same /it's just a shame/ that song"

As you can imagine, googling Phil Collins That Song doesn't really help out much.

Any helps appreciated on this one. It's gonna bug me until I either hear the song or get it out of my head with a shotgun :argh:

Genesis - That's All

You were going to kill yourself over a phil collins tune?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
:woop:

I tend to get songs stuck in my head for a while, and the only way to get them OUT of my head is to listen to them repeatedly for a day or so. Once I hear it 5 or 10 times I can forget about it and it will stop going through my mind and keeping me awake at night, etc.

No idea why that happens, but it's been that way since I was a wee lad.

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p
I need help finding a song. (!!! this has been driving me batty for three months now!)
The song has been heavily advertised on the radio where I live (Lubbock, Texas).
The radio advertisement is "Hey, we are *such and so* and we would like you to look us up on myspace music! our new hit single, 'Seeing In The Dark' is now avalible on myspace.com/suchandso"
Then it plays a clip of the song where all you can hear is a pop punk medley (not unlike Cartel or All Time Low in regards to sound) with the lyrics "something something something SEEING IN THE DARK! SEEING IN THE DARK!" (emphasis on that part, lol)

I would greatly appreciate someone finding out who this band is and what this song is really called because I typed in "Seeing In The Dark" and all I could find was jazz. :[

And when you do find out this band, I'm going to look them up on MySpace and yell at them for being misleading!

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Durr, it was P!nk.

GoonyMcGoonface fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 27, 2009

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Oh God. Can't recall this at all.

Jean Michel Jarre track, in which the chords being played are read by a voice.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There was a ska song I heard the other day, I remember the chorus went

"Shotgun Jimmy always running around
Shotgun Jimmy riding(?) up this town"

I'm guessing the name of the song is "Shotgun Jimmy", but I can't figure out who it's by...does this ring any bells?

edit: vvv Thank you kindly.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 28, 2009

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was a ska song I heard the other day, I remember the chorus went

"Shotgun Jimmy always running around
Shotgun Jimmy riding(?) up this town"

I'm guessing the name of the song is "Shotgun Jimmy", but I can't figure out who it's by...does this ring any bells?

The name of the song is "Shotgun Jimmy" and it's by The Insteps.

Forty
Sep 5, 2006

by Lowtax
This is kind of vague, but here goes:

The track I'm looking for is kind of odd. It's this guy telling short rhyming anecdotes about a long list of women over a minimalistic beat. It sounds kind of late-eighties. Each line in the song starts with the name of a different girl, for example, something like this:

"Kathy did a lot of drugs and became a junkie.
Jessie gossiped in the hall with all her little flunkies."

He just goes on and on with this long list of girls. Anyone know what song this is?

Retroboy
Jul 12, 2006

Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Forty posted:

This is kind of vague, but here goes:

The track I'm looking for is kind of odd. It's this guy telling short rhyming anecdotes about a long list of women over a minimalistic beat. It sounds kind of late-eighties. Each line in the song starts with the name of a different girl, for example, something like this:

"Kathy did a lot of drugs and became a junkie.
Jessie gossiped in the hall with all her little flunkies."

He just goes on and on with this long list of girls. Anyone know what song this is?

The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women

There are 2 versions of it ('82 and '84) with the earlier being the better in my opinion.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm looking for a song, probably by The Hives, The Strokes or a similar band, where they play at least two guitars and one bass each with a different melody but harmonizing. In the music video they showed the hands on the fretboards playing the riffs tiled in two rows of three tiles across the screen in black and white. I can't even remember the melody, only that I totally loved this song and tried to play the different guitar parts back when it came out.

EDIT: Found it! The Strokes - Reptilia ... of course

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 29, 2009

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
gently caress. So one of my neighbours briefly played some dub/dancehall/ragga with some great bass and I think one of my other neighbours told them to shut the gently caress up because it went off pretty quickly. One of the tracks they played is, I believe, quite well known because i've heard it many times, but I really don't know my dub/ragga so while this is a terrible explanation or how it goes, I hope someone can help. The only repeating line I could come up with an approximation of the words which were being said sounded a bit like 'do you really have time/one/something, dumm dumm dee-dumm dumm dumm, rock-a-bye-bye'.

I don't even know if I've picked the right genre to explain it. It was slower than most jungle/ragga I know but certainly faster than most Lee Perry or King Tubby stuff I've heard.

Help my NMD-Kenobi, you're my only hope.

[edit] It's Sister Nancy - Bam Bam.

Combining the powers of last.fm's dancehall radio and Spotify's library it turns out I don't need you jerks. :smug:
Wow, my description of the lyrics was way off. No one could have guessed it from that.

Esposito fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 28, 2009

myself
Jul 17, 2001

myself posted:

This is a question dealing with song-identification, but not of songs I don't know.. Actually I'm listening to the Au Pairs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_Pairs_(band), and I can't make out some of the lyrics for some of the songs I like, and I'm wondering if anyone has access to any lyrics for Au Pairs. Each lyrics website I go to has only a handful of songs and there are many I can't find anywhere. If anyone knows where I can get Au Pairs lyrics, primarily from Stepping Out Of Line Anthology, that would be cool! Or if anyone knows the band really well I could ask them some specific questions maybe...

Alright, so with this, does anyone know/have the lyrics to the song Stepping Out Of Line maybe?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

myself posted:

Alright, so with this, does anyone know/have the lyrics to the song Stepping Out Of Line maybe?

"Oh, you... gonna find you a label
Well, you... gonna write on your tag
Well just as soon as we're able
We're gonna put you, tie the lid on your paper bag

We have divulged the necessary information
Found the weak spot - now we can play
Can [?] some subtle manipulation
You will become whatever we say

You're a frivolous female femme fatale with an evil intention
You're a neoistic, a neurotic with a problem, it's better not to mention

Shut up, shut up, you're talking too loud
Get back in your corner, now that's an order
We got you summed up, we got you defined
And you're stepping out of line, stepping out of line"

EDIT: Damnit I thought that missing word was 'unbottle' but it's really not and I can't work it out. I'm sure of the rest of it though, also I'd be willing to try any other song on the anthology, I'm a big Au Pairs fan from the UK with a lot of time on my hands right now.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2009

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is a Brotha Lynch Hung song that says something like "put my 9 in your pussy hole move it round to and fro, pull the trigger boom, pussy guts all over the room" but I can't remember what its called.

Edit: hehe NM I found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Jr04-e4AI

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 29, 2009

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger
The song is like a soul(ish) song. It was on the radio. Sounds like The Roots, in a way - I think (not quite sure) it had some rapping in it.

Anyone?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Sups posted:

The song is like a soul(ish) song. It was on the radio. Sounds like The Roots, in a way - I think (not quite sure) it had some rapping in it.

Anyone?

This is a wild shot in the dark but it might be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqImhVwObo

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I wish I could be more specific:

It's a recent song, like within the last few years, by an all-girl punk band from California (?) I think it is. The song is titled something like "I Thought I Could Change" and the refrain is "I thought I could change but I was wrong"

Since I just replied to the thread I'm going to quote myself from way back in February to see if anyone has any idea.

Forty
Sep 5, 2006

by Lowtax

Retroboy posted:

The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women

There are 2 versions of it ('82 and '84) with the earlier being the better in my opinion.

Perfect. Thanks!

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

This is a wild shot in the dark but it might be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqImhVwObo

Similar. This one had a driving piano part and was a bit more groovier. I think in the chours they start it with "Baby."

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

An indie hip-hop song (Buck 65 or Why?, maybe?) with lyrics quoting Oscar Wilde, "I can resist anything but temptation."

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009
Update: Apparently Soulja Boy has two singles circulating right now, and it's hard to keep track of which one came first, and which one is more popular. Could someone give me the names of Soulja Boy's singles please?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King

Cha Cha Desmond posted:

Update: Apparently Soulja Boy has two singles circulating right now, and it's hard to keep track of which one came first, and which one is more popular. Could someone give me the names of Soulja Boy's singles please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulja_Boy_Tell_%27Em_discography, scroll down to Singles.

OfF KiLTeR
Apr 16, 2007

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Buglord
I am not overly familiar with a lot of music from Europe, living in Canada but I was recently in Italy where they seemed to play a lot of music from the UK. Morcheeba and the like. There was one song that had lyrics that sounded something like "It's no fair that it's raining novocaine." I thought my friend might like it, so if anyone knows what it is please end my conundrum. I've checked google but to no avail. (Also, sorry it this is a repost, I don't have the time to look through 90 pages of posts...)

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
This one should be fairly easy. It was a popular indie pop/rock song--heard it at parties and events all the time a year or two ago. I was thinking Peter, Bjorn, and John, but I've tried all their singles and haven't found it. As far as I remember, a Grizzly Bear style arrangement (see the steady quarter note keyboard rhythm from "Two Weeks") with a Paul Banks-esque baritone singer. The only catch is I don't remember any words, but here is the hook (I could be resolving the melody incorrectly, but the gist is there): Song

Edit: Nevermind: Menomena - Rotten Hell

alcoholiday fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 2, 2009

global gobby goon
Jun 22, 2007

Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven;
lower your eyelids to die with the sun.
I heard a song in H&M the other day that went something like "and I say, you're turnin me on" or "you turn me on" or something. It sounded sort of like reggae with a male singer/rapper and female singer I think. If anyone knows what that is I really appreciate it!

scheherezade
Dec 30, 2007

by angerbotSD
This one should be easy. It was some hip hop/RnB song I heard from a friend. I don't remember much, but it had a meal lead singer talking about some girl (named shawty?) and getting drunk in some club. T-Paine also sang a good part (autotuned) but he wasn't the lead voice. Every once in a while you can hear a male chorus shouting "oh!" in the background. if anyone can find this, I'd really appreciate it.

Rmthegreat88
Sep 30, 2006
madness in a can
"Hey now, you're a rockstar, get your show on get laid"

GO.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Rmthegreat88 posted:

"Hey now, you're a rockstar, get your show on get laid"

GO.

Smashmouth - All-Star?

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Anyone know the song during the menu in the demo of Colin McRae DiRT? Can't find a vid of it on youtube sadly, but maybe someone's played the game...

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

scheherezade posted:

This one should be easy. It was some hip hop/RnB song I heard from a friend. I don't remember much, but it had a meal lead singer talking about some girl (named shawty?) and getting drunk in some club. T-Paine also sang a good part (autotuned) but he wasn't the lead voice. Every once in a while you can hear a male chorus shouting "oh!" in the background. if anyone can find this, I'd really appreciate it.

I was going to say "are you sure it wasn't "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')"?" but that's a T-Pain song mainly, so I am gonna guess Plies ft. T-Pain - "Shawty". Note that I have not actually heard this song, those are just my best guesses. :D

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Onion Head Cat posted:

I heard a song in H&M the other day that went something like "and I say, you're turnin me on" or "you turn me on" or something. It sounded sort of like reggae with a male singer/rapper and female singer I think. If anyone knows what that is I really appreciate it!
People ask about songs they heard in H&M so often that there's a pretty reliable Facebook discussion devoted to helping people identify the music in the store: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=21415640912&topic=5602

I have no idea what your song could possibly be, but I'm going to guess it's Bob Sinclair anyway because it almost always is! Ask in that Facebook thread though and someone will surely have the answer if it isn't answered here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myself
Jul 17, 2001

GimpChimp posted:

"Oh, you... gonna find you a label
Well, you... gonna write on your tag
Well just as soon as we're able
We're gonna put you, tie the lid on your paper bag

We have divulged the necessary information
Found the weak spot - now we can play
Can [?] some subtle manipulation
You will become whatever we say

You're a frivolous female femme fatale with an evil intention
You're a neoistic, a neurotic with a problem, it's better not to mention

Shut up, shut up, you're talking too loud
Get back in your corner, now that's an order
We got you summed up, we got you defined
And you're stepping out of line, stepping out of line"

EDIT: Damnit I thought that missing word was 'unbottle' but it's really not and I can't work it out. I'm sure of the rest of it though, also I'd be willing to try any other song on the anthology, I'm a big Au Pairs fan from the UK with a lot of time on my hands right now.

Oh cool, thank you..! That's cool there's a line in there I was wondering about... Also another song that I'd like the full lyrics too would be Hokka He Ha (1983 Demo) off of Stepping Out Of Line Anthology disk 2...! Thank you!