Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
http://www.viddler.com/explore/odddzy/videos/1/

Here is the demoreel, it's just a test and I've made it to show for an internship that I might apply to this week. Can I have some criticism?

The compression is crap like synthorange said, and the color balance off for the same reason I believe but it will be put on a disk so there is no problem there.

Any comments? The reel has been put up with stuff made over the last year that I would often have gone over again but couldn't due to the fact that I knew only yesterday they would want my reel as soon as possible.

(and should I trash that pixar segment? I hate it but was put there to show that I can animate the basics (albeit in an amateurish way))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one

SynthOrange posted:

(click for the video)

Welp. This was the piece I was animating for the class project, and as expected, it didnt get anywhere near finished. Even more depressing is the fact that it was the most polished so far. Hopefully by the time the school opens again in two weeks, all the sequences will have rendered out without glitches or falling over halfway.

Oh and the lecturer earns bonus points for having to animate one entire segment because he wasnt keeping an eye on what that student was doing (e.g. nothing at all) and it needed to be completed somehow since that was the opening sequence, and avoiding using Motionbuilder entirely because it was slowing his work down. After spending 3 months forcing us to use it.

He also helped rig the dog. And I discovered with two weeks of animation left that the floor contacts were crammed up to the elbows and no one knew how to reorient them.

You know they still play that video all the time as well.

We just "finished" our group assignment and it failed the way i predicted it would. Sometimes democracy does not work especially when your in a class full of 18yo who are only there because their parents made them go.

I cant wait to start the major personal assignment next semester and not have to depend on anyone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have been playing with 3D since the late 1980s and unfortunately never really bent myself to the task like I should've, especially since I enjoy it so much. The oldest stuff is gone but here's a few from the 1990s. I was always obsessed with lighting, a death sentence back in those days when rendering speeds were so slow. I put three lights in that candle on the table and it almost melted my PC.

Most everything here is done with Bryce 2. I think the Rollies were in an old version of Lightwave and were the first model I ever rigged. My hat is off to everyone in this thread, especially those of you who started off about a light year beyond where I finished!

Click here for the full 800x365 image.

Click here for the full 1024x467 image.

Click here for the full 1024x467 image.

Click here for the full 800x365 image.

Click here for the full 909x701 image.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Yasha From Russia posted:

We just "finished" our group assignment and it failed the way i predicted it would. Sometimes democracy does not work especially when your in a class full of 18yo who are only there because their parents made them go.

I find that this is the case in all educational settings. The university I went to produces a feature film every summer as experience for the video production students. It always comes off as bland, undramatic, and humorless. The scoring is always beat-you-over-the-head over-the-top. Democracy is awesome when everyone is creative, and deserves to have a say. Democracy sucks when good ideas are treated just as badly as lovely ones.

You may find this extends, in a lot of cases, to poorly organized work outside of academia as well.

Working alone can be very fulfilling in terms of your creativity, but it's a shitload of work. You have to be willing to put in a ton more hours than seems reasonable.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 25, 2009

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

I cant wait to start the major personal assignment next semester and not have to depend on anyone.

Problems with group assignments is that everyone is equal. There isn't often enough a student that can come up to you and say ''do this'' because no one has to actually do what he says, he isn't boss. It's the kind of unpleasant thing that you only get to experience at school. In a professional environment, you get to do what you're told, no questions asked.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
More HDR lighting fooling around:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

Odddzy posted:

Here is the demoreel, it's just a test and I've made it to show for an internship that I might apply to this week. Can I have some criticism?

The compression is crap like synthorange said, and the color balance off for the same reason I believe but it will be put on a disk so there is no problem there.

Any comments? The reel has been put up with stuff made over the last year that I would often have gone over again but couldn't due to the fact that I knew only yesterday they would want my reel as soon as possible.

(and should I trash that pixar segment? I hate it but was put there to show that I can animate the basics (albeit in an amateurish way))

trash both animation bits, especially the pixar bit. when you're an amateur, Re imagining something that has already been done in cg by a studio such as pixar is a real gamble. nine times out of ten, the only reaction you will get from it is 'it's not as good at the original'.

as for the editing, its fine, not too quick not too long.
what you might want to do, instead of just having all your stuff then the 'textures' bit, is just have a caption down the bottom for each shot detailing what duties you performed. Just makes it all a little more cohesive.

BigK did a great writeup on reels that is in the second post of the thread. check it out.

Kirby fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 25, 2009

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Odddzy posted:

"Kirby posted:

trash both animation bits, especially the pixar bit.

Yes. Unless you're really keen on animation, get rid of all the animation -- the two at the beginning, the Pixar bit, the little war scene at 0:25. Your modeling work is pretty good, your texturing as well -- the animations kill it. I've seen many a reel killed by adding in too much junk.

Really liking that city street render. If you've got time, consider adding a camera move into these stills. For your robot guy, do a turntable. For the city street, do a slow pan down it; just brings some life.

What is that scene at 0:32? Did you model a cave/water? It's pretty dark (compression, I warrant). Looks like a painting/Photoshop work. Maybe do a wipe between this and a wireframe of it.

Great texturing work -- you've got a solid base here. Most internships understand you're just starting out; while they are looking for people who know their stuff, they're not looking for gods of all things. Just show them your best stuff and let the work speak for itself.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kirby posted:

trash both animation bits, especially the pixar bit. when you're an amateur, Re imagining something that has already been done in cg by a studio such as pixar is a real gamble. nine times out of ten, the only reaction you will get from it is 'it's not as good at the original'.

as for the editing, its fine, not too quick not too long.
what you might want to do, instead of just having all your stuff then the 'textures' bit, is just have a caption down the bottom for each shot detailing what duties you performed. Just makes it all a little more cohesive.

BigK did a great writeup on reels that is in the second post of the thread. check it out.

Thanks for the heads up,

I've read BigKofJustice's FAQ on demoreels at least thrice already and tried my best to do something conclusive but I didn't plan on making a demoreel far at least another year so it's kind of all over the place. :(

I hated the pixar bit and will take it off. Problem with the internship that is being offered is that I have no idea for what position they want me to apply to. The job says animateur 3D (animator) but it doesn't necessarily stop itself at animation, they could mean modeler or texturer or whatever and so I can't really aim for some particular direction in the reel.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Travakian posted:

Yes. Unless you're really keen on animation, get rid of all the animation -- the two at the beginning, the Pixar bit, the little war scene at 0:25. Your modeling work is pretty good, your texturing as well -- the animations kill it. I've seen many a reel killed by adding in too much junk.

Really liking that city street render. If you've got time, consider adding a camera move into these stills. For your robot guy, do a turntable. For the city street, do a slow pan down it; just brings some life.

What is that scene at 0:32? Did you model a cave/water? It's pretty dark (compression, I warrant). Looks like a painting/Photoshop work. Maybe do a wipe between this and a wireframe of it.

Great texturing work -- you've got a solid base here. Most internships understand you're just starting out; while they are looking for people who know their stuff, they're not looking for gods of all things. Just show them your best stuff and let the work speak for itself.

Even if this doesn't get me the internship it's a great boost to morale to hear someone tell me that something in the reel is salvageable, I'm really stressed out at the idea of showing this stuff.

I quite probably won't have a lot of time to make turntables and move some stuff around but i'll try my best in what little time I have tomorrow.

Yeah, the dark bit is a cave. It's actually pretty quickly done, walls with LOTS of displacement and some procedural shaders, it looks better without the viddler compression (trust me :P).

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

Odddzy posted:

Even if this doesn't get me the internship it's a great boost to morale to hear someone tell me that something in the reel is salvageable, I'm really stressed out at the idea of showing this stuff.

Don't strees man, its pretty solid stuff. And like trav said, they're looking more for an understanding of the work rather than high-end spectacular looking work.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

This looks like an incredible caricature of Teal'c.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I know. Still, the good parts of the course were the other students, who were enthusiastic and we taught each other a thing or two.

Otherwise, a quick doodle. As usual I'm terrible at follow-through and finishing up, but at least I'm churning out decent rough forms much quicker.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, I know. Still, the good parts of the course were the other students, who were enthusiastic and we taught each other a thing or two.

Otherwise, a quick doodle. As usual I'm terrible at follow-through and finishing up, but at least I'm churning out decent rough forms much quicker.

That looks good in a sort of way that reminds me of some of the carvings I saw at an outdoor sculpture museum when I went to Japan.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

SynthOrange posted:

I love the clay carving look this has, like a quick sculpture study. You should look into it some more, it's nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's pretty much what it was. I was looking at a tutorial on using zbrush's clay and rake tools to mimic traditional clay sculpting techniques.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Seriously what the poo poo, it's like I have to use the original polyboost in an older version of max because the new ribbon in 2010 sucks my dick as far as hotkeys go. DADDY NEEDS HIS HOTKEYS.

I should just switch back to Maya and use NEX Tools for christs sake.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

I finally got round to finishing this one. I know it looks too clean but apart from editing each map to include noise, I have no idea how to go about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks pretty good. The ambient occlusion could be pushed up a bit more.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Looks pretty good. The ambient occlusion could be pushed up a bit more.

I used what came out of the A+D Raw Ambient Occulsion in the render elements. I found out that you could make a copy of the scene, change all the materials to Ambient Occlusion with self illumination cranked up and control it through that but it didn't work for me for some reason.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
All right guys, time to tell me what you think. One higher rez, the rest smaller.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Handiklap posted:

This looks like an incredible caricature of Teal'c.

I am surprised it looks like anyone since I pulled it out of my head in about an hour.
Had to look up Teal'C but I kinda see what you mean.

spottedfeces: The Bloody Piston is still too hard to read. Change the font? The B is what is particularly hard to read. Maybe lessen the falloff on that omni light in front of it, or turn up the intensity/lower falloff on the other light next to it?

Also the amount of your bump/normal mapping seems almost too consistent across too many surfaces. Lastly, the smoke coming out of the chimneys seems off.
Overall consider adding a little more fill light (moonlight? bounced light from the sky?) in order to not lose so much detail in the shadows.

This is all being picky though. The piece is really coming along.

SynthOrange: Which tutorial did you look at? Is that the clay brush or the clay tube brush?

International Log: That last HDR link didn't work.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 26, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The production company I work for made a TVC for Kidney Health Australia, a non profit health organisation. It was made in less than a week by myself and my colleague. Of course when we were almost done the agency changed a whole bunch of stuff and I had to reanimate half the ad in a day so it's pretty rushed. I haven't really had the chance to animate anything for over a year working here so it was a bit of fun. I did animation, some lighting, some modeling (such modeling as there was) and comped it.

It's ended up on youtube in terrible quality if anyone wants to check it out.

lovely looking youtube Link

*edit* VVV They're supposed to be jellybeans, it's hard to tell with the lovely quality though

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 27, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spottedfeces: It all looks pretty good, but the signage could do with some extra attention. The top row of letters for 'the Bloody Piston' kind of merge into one another. Most of the sign text aside from the neons could also stand to be a little more irregular, right now they just stand out against the ramshackle look of the rest of the building.

sigma 6: I used only the claytubes and rake brushes on that. The tutorial was in a book

Oh god dancing kidneys.

edit:^^^ Oh right. I didnt even look at the title. I just looked at the ad, heard the VO going on about kidneys so 'multicoloured kidneys' just popped into my head.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 27, 2009

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

Click here for the full 1850x1024 image.

Hopefully you can read my terrible handwriting :)
The major problem with your lighting situation was it was just in the middle of nowhere, it was very muddy and uninteresting to look at.

A great thing to do is bring your render into photoshop and run the dust and scratches filter over it, and also view it in greyscale. It gives you a great idea of the overall direction and tones in your scene.

In regards to your actual lights, i would turf the ones i marked 1,2 and 4 (4 was particularly puzzling). They don't really ad anything to the scene, and detract your eye away from what you want to be looking at. If your worried that those areas will become too dark, realistically lights 3+5+6 would provide more than enough light to cover those areas.
Having just these three lights will lead your eye to the sign and doors.
Also the sun could be brighter, and you need to get some ambient shade in there to give a tint to your shadows.

Alot of your metals don't have much in the way of specularity or rim on the right side, which is why your sign is hard to read. Don't rely on your 'real' lights to do this, chuck in lights that just cast specular light and link them up to your desired objects.

The only other thing i did in photoshop was run two photo filters (with appropriate masks) over your scene to saturate the cools and warms. It brings out more variety in the shot and moves everything away from those terrible midtone muddies. Obviously I did this according to my own sensibilities, you might want a more sublte colour effect... but the point is you need a bit more cohesiveness and strength in your highlights and shadows.

Lighting a still image is different beast than lighting an animated sequence... more akin to photography. Don't be afraid to jump back and forth between 3D and Photoshop (or if you are animating the scene, your composting package) and make adjustments to your final render. It's not cheating! :)

Hope that helps!

Kirby fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 27, 2009

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

Kirby posted:

Click here for the full 1850x1024 image.

Hopefully you can read my terrible handwriting :)
The major problem with your lighting situation was it was just in the middle of nowhere, it was very muddy and uninteresting to look at.

A great thing to do is bring your render into photoshop and run the dust and scratches filter over it, and also view it in greyscale. It gives you a great idea of the overall direction and tones in your scene.

In regards to your actual lights, i would turf the ones i marked 1,2 and 4 (4 was particularly puzzling). They don't really ad anything to the scene, and detract your eye away from what you want to be looking at. If your worried that those areas will become too dark, realistically lights 3+5+6 would provide more than enough light to cover those areas.
Having just these three lights will lead your eye to the sign and doors.
Also the sun could be brighter, and you need to get some ambient shade in there to give a tint to your shadows.

Alot of your metals don't have much in the way of specularity or rim on the right side, which is why your sign is hard to read. Don't rely on your 'real' lights to do this, chuck in lights that just cast specular light and link them up to your desired objects.

The only other thing i did in photoshop was run two photo filters (with appropriate masks) over your scene to saturate the cools and warms. It brings out more variety in the shot and moves everything away from those terrible midtone muddies. Obviously I did this according to my own sensibilities, you might want a more sublte colour effect... but the point is you need a bit more cohesiveness and strength in your highlights and shadows.

Lighting a still image is different beast than lighting an animated sequence... more akin to photography. Don't be afraid to jump back and forth between 3D and Photoshop (or if you are animating the scene, your composting package) and make adjustments to your final render. It's not cheating! :)

Hope that helps!

That looks great! I'm going to try and churn out some stuff soon and touch up my old models a bit, get some advice on it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Props on the breakdown kirby, thats good advice.

Did some more testing with forest lite...
Took about 2 days to set up the whole sequence. Theres 3 layers of forest - grass, shrubbery & trees.
The grass has about 600k proxies scattered (it goes right around the lake, about 25m deep from the shore), the shrubs about 30k proxies and the trees about 40k - I worked out that this makes 24 billion polys in total.
And renders at 20 minutes a frame at 1024x576! (the start bit, the last section goes up to an hour...)

Amazing little plugin :)

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Are you using brute force for that?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
IR/BF, yeah.

BF on it's own is madness.

edit: fisheye!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 27, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

spottedfeces posted:

All right guys, time to tell me what you think. One higher rez, the rest smaller.

The only thing that I'm not feeling is the sharpness of the post shadows on the left wall; if the sun is at such a low angle, you'd be getting a lot more light scattering in the atmosphere, softening the shadows. Otherwise looks great!

edit: after reading kirby's comments, I'd agree that getting some ambient in there may do the trick instead of futzing with the sun.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 27, 2009

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I kinda like doing architectural visualization. Had a job in it but only actually did one thing (the rest of my time was basic 2d graphics and web development)
As I'm out of work right now, I'd like to add more stuff, but considering I'm no architect, any ideas on how to find something to model?

The only thing I've done so far, after being laid off was a my own living room that I measured to the T.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

The Merkinman posted:

I kinda like doing architectural visualization. Had a job in it but only actually did one thing (the rest of my time was basic 2d graphics and web development)
As I'm out of work right now, I'd like to add more stuff, but considering I'm no architect, any ideas on how to find something to model?

I would find buildings or scenes that I thought were cool and tried to model them accurately. In some architectural magazines, they print floorplans that can help block things out.

I picked one house I thought was cool, the Glidehouse by Michelle Kaufmann, and modeled it as accurately as possible. I found a bunch of floorplans and layouts on her site and got most of the forms from that. Then I went scouring through the internet for real-world pictures since the official site didn't have a lot of good detail reference. I found a ton of stuff from other articles about the house and a lot of great images on Flickr from an open-house a few years ago.

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one

cubicle gangster posted:

IR/BF, yeah.

BF on it's own is madness.

edit: fisheye!

wow, how did you do fisheye like that? Iv been trying to figure it out for a while.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Odddzy posted:

Delete Pixar and Pink thing. Weak animation.

Animation basics from my book is being able to animate a quadraped realistically and knowing how to break and merge complex cycles. Eg. Have a character run, jump, recover keep running, climb a rope then land on a platform all in one motion for starters. Also having 2 characters acting well well be a good animation reel. 99% of "animation" reels are people getting the basics wrong with super simplified rigs, or people doing a deadpan character lipsyncing a funny dialog bit from a popular movie while staring at the camera.

I'd focus on your textures/environmental/modeling work that seems to be your strong suit.

Travakian posted:

:words:

What Travakian said exactly.

If you are new, don't be a jack of all trades, master of none, focus on 1-2 things and get really good and bad rear end with it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

wow, how did you do fisheye like that? Iv been trying to figure it out for a while.

Vray can render them out of the box. if you are using standard cameras, open up the render settings and go to the 'vray' tab - at the bottom there should be a rollout called camera. Change type to fisheye, override fov, sorted.

The edges I took from searching flickr for fisheye photos - makes it more believable with the edges of the lens in view.

Did another one for breakfast :)
These are far too much fun.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
http://www.viddler.com/explore/odddzy/videos/2/

The final assignment we worked on for this year. We had to do an environment following the persona of a famous character we had to choose in class.

We had Joseph Stalin.

There were a few problems during production but all in all it went pretty great considering we olny had three weeks from start to finish.

Any questions or commentaries are quite welcome.

I was the one that worked on nearly all of the textures on the exterior and made the trenches from scratch plus a few bonus props.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Vray can render them out of the box. if you are using standard cameras, open up the render settings and go to the 'vray' tab - at the bottom there should be a rollout called camera. Change type to fisheye, override fov, sorted.

The edges I took from searching flickr for fisheye photos - makes it more believable with the edges of the lens in view.

Did another one for breakfast :)
These are far too much fun.

That's pretty drat cool, only suggestion would be a bit more deviation in height - maybe a distant mountain range or something.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another 3d head sketch.

This one is using the default mudbox head. Again no reference (and it shows). Pay no attention to the deformed ear etc. LOL.

Rendered in maya 08 (ignore the low sampling please) with mray.

I can see why a lot of people prefer mudbox to zbrush. Ideally I would like to be able to switch back and forth between the two seamlessly.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 31, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty sweet for no reference Sigma.
The overall structure is pretty good, the upper lip seems a bit absent though and the left brow and cheekbone are a bit skewed. I know it's just a sketch but I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

I almost always sculpt males for some reason (becuase I'm a closet homosexual of course). So I thought I'd learn to sculpt females and try to work it into a piece for the showreel if possible. This is what I have so far. I haven't cleaned up the many little screw ups here and there yet.

*edited for table breakage*

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Thanks to alla y'all. You helped me make some real progress. Especially Kirby, your advice and spiffy diagram really helped me out.

Here's some more renders.