Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

knittedsister posted:

Are you still knitting in a circle? When you start the heel flap, you go back and forth on about 1/2 of the stitches. So you knit across the RS, turn, and purl across the WS.

The heel flap is done by slipping every other stitch on the RS, then just purling across on the WS. This causes the heel to bunch up a tiny bit, making it thicker. You can just knit across your heel flap to get to whichever side it starts on.

Or, you could just knit your heel flap in stockinette if that helps.

Another thing: if you are working on 4 or 5 needles, is your RS on the inside? Usually people knit with the RS on the outside, so directions can be confusing if you're not. I always used to knit mine inside out because the needles were more comfortable that way. Now I use 2 circulars so it's not an issue.

I hope this helps. If you're still wondering, later on I can draw some silly pictures to help with the visual.

I'm knitting on two circs, so half the sock stitches are on one needle (needle a), the other half on the other (needle B). The instructions say to knit just on needle A, so I'm working with half the total number of stitches. My RS is on the inside, because when I did the tube of the sock it called for stockinette, so I just knitted every row rather than purling.

The issue I'm having is with the slipped stitches. Here's the pattern:

Heel flap setup:
Knit one more complete round, but on the back side of the sock (Needle A), k2tog somewhere in the middle to end up with an odd number of stitches, only on the back side of the sock.

Heel flap:
You will now be knitting for a while only on Needle A [...]
Row 1 (RS): sl1k, *k1, sl1p* repeat from * to 2 stitches from the end, k2.
Row 2 (WS): sl1p, p to end.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until heel flap is 2.5"

I have 25 stitches on this needle, so that means my first RS row will look like this:

s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, k

My second row will look like this:

s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s

so put them together back to back and this is what I get:

s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, s, k, k
s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s, p, s

the same stitches are being slipped because I have an uneven number of stitches on the needle. Why would they be telling me to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knittedsister
Mar 16, 2007
One Stitch at a Time

teknicolor posted:

Heel flap:
You will now be knitting for a while only on Needle A [...]
Row 1 (RS): sl1k, *k1, sl1p* repeat from * to 2 stitches from the end, k2.
Row 2 (WS): sl1p, p to end.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until heel flap is 2.5"

the same stitches are being slipped because I have an uneven number of stitches on the needle. Why would they be telling me to do this?

Notice that row 1 says *k1, sl1p* repeat... while row 2 says sl1p, p to end.
In other words:
1: k1, sl1p, k1, sl1p.....
2: sl1p, p, p, p, p, p, p....
Row 2 has no asterisk to repeat the sequence.

Row 1 actually says: sl1k, *k1, sl1p* repeat from * to * till 2 stitches from end, k2. I checked the pattern.

knittedsister fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 13, 2009

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

knittedsister posted:

Notice that row 1 says *k1, sl1p* repeat... while row 2 says sl1p, p to end.
In other words:
1: k1, sl1p, k1, sl1p.....
2: sl1p, p, p, p, p, p, p....
Row 2 has no asterisk to repeat the sequence.

Row 1 actually says: sl1k, *k1, sl1p* repeat from * to * till 2 stitches from end, k2. I checked the pattern.

poo poo I thought it meant "sl1k and purl" to end, not just purl. Wow I feel dumb haha thanks so much for your help! :P

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
So many talented people in this thread! I hope someday I can knit something that's more than a wooly slab.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Part of Everything posted:

So many talented people in this thread! I hope someday I can knit something that's more than a wooly slab.

We all started with wooly slabs, no worries :) I just started in November of last year and I'm already on socks!

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Finished this bad boy up the other day:

Close up of a button (because I'm in love with them):

Pattern here: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTwisp.html

I decided to skip mohair and use my Malabrigo sock yarn instead. Love that stuff. Don't mind my lovely blocking--it was basically the first time I've ever blocked something, let alone lace, so I'm using that as my excuse.

Aardvarklet fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 15, 2009

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That's a pretty scarf! :)
I've tried starting the Wisp two times, but I think the mohair's got the best of me.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Aardvarklet posted:

Close up of a button (because I'm in love with them):

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one infactuated with pretty buttons. I find it bizarre that some people are afraid of them.

I vote we all post photos of crap/early work to encourage the knitting newbies. I've got some silly garter stitch "bag" somewhere.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

I vote we all post photos of crap/early work to encourage the knitting newbies. I've got some silly garter stitch "bag" somewhere.

That's an awesome idea. I have many a wooly slab to my name.

Here's my first project. This was done last August:

It's too short to be of any use, and I think by the end I had double the number of stitches that I started with.

This is an ugly-rear end needle roll that I made, probably my third project:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Just after I started knitting I tried making a felted cat bed/cave, but it ended up being weird and scrunched up on top and way too small for my cat. :saddowns:

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 15, 2009

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Don't sweat the wooly slab thing. It's true that everyone does it. It's how you sew up that wooly slab that counts.

Plus people that can't even make the wooly slab are really impressed.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
Crap/early project post!

second-ever project:

less than a year later:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
^ooooh, pretty wool...who/what is it?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Molly Bloom posted:

And what's that sock pattern? :o

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

hollaback grandma posted:

Crap/early project post!

second-ever project:

less than a year later:

That sock is beyond awesome. I can't even comprehend the patience and dexterity that must've gone into it.

I can't find my wooly slabs right now, but the first one looked a lot like that bag, but bright yellow and full of holes.

Talise
Mar 16, 2004
FATTY FATTY ANIME LOL

madlilnerd posted:

I made this hideous little acrylic sweater nearly two years ago, and then my god...I gifted it to someone. Here's hoping she chunked it in the trash as soon as I was out of sight!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And now I'm knitting socks with 1600 cables:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

And pretty shawls:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Jumping on the I-gifted-poo poo-acrylic-projects bandwagon. The stuff I made as Christmas presents is definitely not as nice as the stuff I can make now. Oh well.

I've gotta try the foam puzzle pieces for blocking. I used foam core board as a quick and cheap solution for my last two projects, but I need something durable. Where did you buy yours?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I knew if I searched hard enough I could find a project to make you lot cringe.

Presenting the "I'm 13 and just found out about rave culture" jumper!

The year is approx 2003. I have been watching my favourite movie, "Hackers", way too much. "They're so awesome!" I think "I will cast off my goth ways and become a raver!".

Armed with a £2.50 ball of neon pink acrylic and some 12mm needles, I churn out this abomination.

The biggest crime here is not that I made a "boat neck" jumper in garter stitch without a pattern as I went along. Nor is it that I thought shoulders required shaping and somehow ended up making bizarre baggy elbow pockets. No. The crime here is that I have worn this in public. With Pride. MORE THAN ONCE.

I wore a similar handmade "bolero" when I went to see System of a Down. My only chance to see an awesome metal band and I was wearing a bunch of stuff I'd half-arsedly made myself. Thank god someone was on hand to give fashion advice when I went to see Korn.

The only solace in this is that it didn't even use a whole ball of yarn. I actually bought a ball of neon orange too incase my best friend wanted a matching jumper.
...she didn't.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Molly Bloom posted:

wool is jojoland melody superwash, and the pattern is "upstairs sox" on Ravelry. Thanks for the feedback, all! This is actually the most complicated pattern I've tried to date. :)

Talise
Mar 16, 2004
FATTY FATTY ANIME LOL

Aardvarklet posted:

I've gotta try the foam puzzle pieces for blocking. I used foam core board as a quick and cheap solution for my last two projects, but I need something durable. Where did you buy yours?

At Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/), actually. I pointed out to my husband that I wanted something similar for blocking, and he spotted them there while shopping for something else. I think they were sold as a shop floor mat set for $10-12.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

I knew if I searched hard enough I could find a project to make you lot cringe.

This is EPIC.

And it makes me thankful that I didn't know how to knit until very recently, because I'm sure my fashion disasters would have been magnified by homemade knitwear. Lord knows I embarrassed myself at enough Korn concerts without adding in handmade sweaters.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Aardvarklet posted:

This is EPIC.

And it makes me thankful that I didn't know how to knit until very recently, because I'm sure my fashion disasters would have been magnified by homemade knitwear. Lord knows I embarrassed myself at enough Korn concerts without adding in handmade sweaters.

One of my favourite shows as a kid was The Tribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_(TV_series)). I spent most of my early teen years making hideous clothes and praying for the apocalypse so I could wear them in public.

TBH, this longing has never really gone away.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
In case anyone's interested, there's a seller on Etsy who's got a bunch of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino for sale at the ridiculous price of $3. My LYS carries it for about $9.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6218510

I already picked up 8 of them. Shipping is pretty cheap too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aardvarklet posted:

In case anyone's interested, there's a seller on Etsy who's got a bunch of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino for sale at the ridiculous price of $3. My LYS carries it for about $9.

Bye bye money. :ohdear:

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

Bye bye money. :ohdear:

Heh. Did you get some? I got 4 of lime and 4 of denim, which I think will look badass together. For THREE DOLLARS I could not resist. Cashmerino is great.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Aardvarklet posted:

Eight skeins and the shipping is still only a dollar. Thanks for the heads up!

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008
I started knitting in October and this is my first hat.

I had hoped that it would be people-sized but it seems to be made for a baby. I'm working on one now that will be seven-pointed instead of five.

Also, does anyone know how to make a thumb-hole on some fingerless gloves? I'm having a problem figuring it out without a pattern.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Seneschal posted:

Also, does anyone know how to make a thumb-hole on some fingerless gloves? I'm having a problem figuring it out without a pattern.

how are you wanting to knit them? Flat or in the round? Flat is fairly obvious, as you'd just eave a gap in your seaming and have a thumb hole out the side.

In the round you have a couple options, including a more finished thumb hole like Eunny Jang's Endpaper mitts- you increase the size of your arm--tube to fit the lower palm of your hand, then put some stitches on a holder for later. You finish up your arm-tube then come back and work a thumb tube. Conversely, you could work a few rows flat in your arm tube to create a gap at your joining stitch, then rejoin once you ahve enough room for your thumb.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Where do you people in general buy your yarn from? I have a local yarn store that's fairly crappy but alright value and seems to stock very little other than acrylic. If I'm planning to buy a lot of stuff, or I want bamboo or a mix, I go for Readicut.

I read this article today (http://www.metapostmodernknitting.com/MetaTrends/Recession/tabid/109/Default.aspx)about how knitters should vote with their cash in this "terrible economy" and support indie dyers and spinners.

How many of you buy your yarn from independent retailers and Etsy stores?

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

madlilnerd posted:

I buy the vast majority of my yarn from Webs(https://www.yarn.com) and my local LYS. I also have several skeins purchased at fairs and festivals that are by indie dyers/spinners. I got to Michaels, Joanns or Ac Moore only as a last resort.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

If I'm confident that I will not screw up the project, I buy from smaller independent shops because I love the unique fibers. But, right now the bulk of my yarn is from JoAnns. I love the LYS near me, but the last time I made a purchase it was for to skeins and cost nearly $40. I'm not saying that I don't love the hand-dyed alpaca, but it's less satisfying to walk out with two skeins for the price of 12 alpaca-blend from JoAnns.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

madlilnerd posted:

I have bought off of ebay with mixed results. I got some hand dyed cotton that I hated so much I almost never bought hand dyed stuff ever again. I don't know if Koigu counts as independent but I bought some skeins of theirs and while I have only used it to make a couple necklaces is absolutely beautiful and restored my faith in buying online. I also bought some bamboo tape yarn that is so soft. (But again, surprise, I haven't used for anything yet).

Other than JoAnn's there are NO yarn stores near me, if I could I'd road trip down to the independent yarn store a city away all the time, but I can't drive and there is only so much incentive to push my husband to go hang out in a yarn shop. So I usually order yarn online. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The only yarn stores near me are really, really fancy. There isn't a single ball of yarn under $10, and I've seen it go as high as $50.

Most my yarn comes from Micheals and Wal-Mart. I'm poor. :smith:

Z Is Overrated posted:

I would like to get more fancy yarn from Etsy or something one of these days, but honestly I know I'd be too afraid of wasting it to ever actually use it.

I once bought a beautiful $25 skein and somehow managed to lose it. I think that scarred me for life.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 25, 2009

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I tend to buy most of my yarn online, usually either from knitpicks or elann. There are a couple of yarn/craft shops somewhat close to me, but the closest one is mostly a fabric shop with a poor selection of yarn, and the other I never really felt welcome at (also it closes at 6, what the hell?). The Michael's closest to me is pretty much worthless.

I would like to get more fancy yarn from Etsy or something one of these days, but honestly I know I'd be too afraid of wasting it to ever actually use it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

madlilnerd posted:

Where do you people in general buy your yarn from?

I have to buy all of mine online because the only LYS that I can ever get to only sells acrylic. Luckily there's a mill in a town nearby that sells loads of great yarn online for fairly low prices.

I think the idea of supporting independent sellers is nice enough, but I'm not really in a position to worry about supporting other people right now. Besides, the indie yarn market is incredibly saturated at the moment.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
When I lived in Aberdeen, I bought at John Lewis...so now I've got a stockpile from their sales.

I live in a town without a JL now, so I don't buy too much..but I get my odds and ends from an old lady with a stoma and electric voicebox who I am in love with.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 25, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Thinking about it, most of my current stash has come from Flea Market finds. I got lucky and hit two men looking to unload their ex's collections this year so far.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

I try to buy from my local yarn store, but oftentimes I can't afford it. I usually go in with a project in mind and see if there is something there that fits my need and is within my budget. Occasionally, I "invent" a reason, like I did recently to let myself buy some Malabrigo Silky Merino.

Beyond that, I've bought on eBay (sock yarn, a couple colors of Cascade 220 that I couldn't find elsewhere) some, but not extensively. I do massive research before I buy too. I've never bought yarn from Etsy stores, but I have bought wool to spin.

I really try to support local business and small companies in general, but sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for and resort to a (relatively) large online store.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I once bought a beautiful $25 skein and somehow managed to lose it. I think that scarred me for life.

I bought a gorgeous skein of laceweight handdyed mercerized cotton to make a summery scarf, and stupidly thought I could wind it into a center-pull myself (I have a swift and ball winder that normally work great). Needless to say, it fell off of my umbrella swift, and when I tried to put it back on, The Yarnpocalypse ensued. I actually had to throw it in the garbage. There was no hope.

I generally buy my yarn from Etsy and Ravelry, but I'm usually buying other people's destashes rather than handdyed or handspun. Like the link I posted above, I usually scout for deals on stuff that I know I'll use. That way I'm able to pick up some nicer yarns without spending a fortune at my LYS, as much as I'd like to support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talise
Mar 16, 2004
FATTY FATTY ANIME LOL

Aardvarklet posted:

I generally buy my yarn from Etsy and Ravelry.

This is closest to me, but it looks like I'm the only hardcore indie-addict here. It's stupid and expensive, but oh my god...the yarn. My town doesn't have an LYS, so my options are Hobby Lobby or Michaels, which I buy from rarely. If I want basic natural fibers or want a project with a reasonable budget, then I buy from KnitPicks, but my stash is something like 70% hand-dyed yarn.

I often say if you told me two years ago I would pay $25 for a pair of socks I had to knit myself I would have laughed myself silly. I still can't talk myself into a sweater amount though, given that the bare minimum is $60, and more often in the $100-$150 range.

Anyway, the nice thing about indie yarn is that if you buy the right stuff, it tends to hold its value pretty well, so if you change your mind later it's not hard to get your money back.