Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I finally got to see one of these today :)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I also got to meet Larry Pegram, got an autograph and got to ask a question :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Trintintin posted:

:aaa:: "Oh poo poo, sorry man, I'm really sorry, I didn't think the guy who owned it was around!"

This is the poo poo that really loving gets under my skin. As if that makes it ok. loving college douchebags.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I'm sorting out my summer plans and I'm debating doing a Eurotour in August. I live in England, my girlfriend's family are in Finland. Could get the ferry to Holland, ride through Holland, Denmark, Sweden (drop in on some relatives) and then get the ferry to Finland. It's around 2500km/1300 miles in all, which would be okay spread over 5-7 days.

Any Euro riders in here with experience in those countries? I know I've seen photos from someone in Denmark in here somewhere. Mainly looking for advice on riding conditions, any good riding roads and general touring advice.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

lancemantis posted:

A guy on a Norwegian forum I use bought one not long ago, then managed to lose his license for speeding a day or two ago and now have to sell it. I feel so sorry for him...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

:rant: loving KIDS :argh:

I live in the middle of the city and park my bike outside. Our constitution day is on the 17th of May, so the 16th of May is known as national get your suburban rear end into town and get shitfaced day. Some rear end in a top hat hosed up our mailbox that night, but my bike was amazingly untouched. I attribute this to my cover, out of sight out of mind. Only thing that has happened for 6 months is somebody putting a burger wrapper into my rear wheel.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

ranathari posted:

Any Euro riders in here with experience in those countries? I know I've seen photos from someone in Denmark in here somewhere. Mainly looking for advice on riding conditions, any good riding roads and general touring advice.

That would probably be me. And yes, I've ridden though all those countries, but what exactly do you mean by "riding conditions"? I can't predict the weather for you ;)
If it is prices then yea, with your pound being in the shitter, like it is, and with Scandinavia being moderately expensive you need a fair amount on your credit card. But buy a cheap gps navigator and sleep on cheap motels you find along the way and I'm sure it will all work out :) Just give yourself plenty of time, being in a rush ruins a trip like that.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

lancemantis posted:

Hello Omaha/Glenwood Area Goon!

I was at the Event Saturday as well, going again today with my camera this time for the reason listed above.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it was a pretty good event. I didn't really like the way they were doing the demo rides this time though :(

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Rnr posted:

That would probably be me. And yes, I've ridden though all those countries, but what exactly do you mean by "riding conditions"? I can't predict the weather for you ;)
If it is prices then yea, with your pound being in the shitter, like it is, and with Scandinavia being moderately expensive you need a fair amount on your credit card. But buy a cheap gps navigator and sleep on cheap motels you find along the way and I'm sure it will all work out :) Just give yourself plenty of time, being in a rush ruins a trip like that.

Hah, I meant the general nature of riding in those countries. Like how strictly the speed limit's enforced, attitude of the police to riders getting their knee down, filtering, all those kind of things.

Mind if I email you to get some ideas of specific routes that are good?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Simkin posted:

:rant: loving KIDS :argh:

This is something I worry about all the time, so much that I just try to expect that it's gonna happen at some point just so I don't stress over it. Otherwise I won't ride my bike anywhere.

I've had a interesting experience over past week with the Husky. After the super awesome hydraulic clutch with no feel decided to stop working and leave me walking my bike home, I called the dealer. Since it was the first ride I had taken after I got it back, I figured they either did something to the clutch (which they denied) or ripped on it test riding until it started to go, then gave it back to me (which they did not answer when asked about).

I go there and describe the situation, to which the mechanic tells me it might be my slave cylinder, which costs $400 plus labor. I say I'll leave it here and call me when you know what is wrong and I'll decide what to do. A week goes by and no call. Finally I call them friday twice and no answer, so I leave a message saying I'm picking up my bike tomorrow. The next morning I walk in and say I'm here to pick up my bike, to which they respond "you should've let us know" and "it's not fixed yet." The mechanic said they tried bleeding it a few times to no avail, but were nice about it and gave me back my bike without trying to charge me and even helped me load it up into my truck. However they still suck because I called Hall's Cycles and found out slave cylinders only cost $130.

I go home, basically disassemble the whole clutch system to see what I'm looking at and can't find anything wrong except some wear on the clutch lever that prevents it from touching the ignition switch, some misadjustment and low fluid. I take the ignition switch out so I can just touch it to turn the bike on and fill the line and reservoir with mineral oil I got from shoprite for $2.69 instead of the $20 "Magura Blood" SAE 10 mineral oil that I would have to order, put it all back together, bled and adjusted it and it has been running great all drat week. Whoo Hoo! I used to think that it's a good idea to take a just-bought used bike to the dealer once just to have it looked over, now I'm thinking of abandoning that practice.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gnaghi posted:

I used to think that it's a good idea to take a just-bought used bike to the dealer once just to have it looked over, now I'm thinking of abandoning that practice.

There's very little that a keen eye and a test ride won't reveal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I just took a Guzzi V7 Classic for a test ride, and I'm kind of conflicted. I probably don't have the broadness of experience under my belt to be able to judge it objectively. It was fun, but I don't think it was as fun as I was hoping. See, it's pretty nimble, and it's got a friendly, approachable powerband, pulls pretty strongly through the portion of the rev range I was able to access. It's just that to me, my KLR feels pretty similar.

The V7 looks and sounds a hell of a lot better, of course, and it does pull stronger, but not much stronger, and it actually vibrates through the pegs a lot more in the upper reaches. Also, I guess I've been pretty spoiled for ergos. I'm sorta tall, and in my bulky overpants my legs felt tucked up a good deal more than I'd felt just sitting on it in the showroom. Getting back on the Kawi was like riding a goddamn bar stool. Gonna have to doublecheck position on anything else I'm looking at.

I did find out one interesting thing - either the longitudinal twin produces a lot of torque steer, or my rev matching sucks rear end, because every time I let off the clutch too fast the bike kind of twitched to the left. Actually glad I wasn't on something with more power.

Honestly, I think I can take it off my short list for bikes-in-the-future - for me I believe it'd be too much of a crossgrade for more money. That's not to say it's not a great bike; I think it is. It's just not one I need.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 26, 2009

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
:rant: Yet another screw in my tire. Just 3,000 miles ago I had to replace a rear tire due to a nail and today, 100 miles from home, I see a loving lag bolt in my front tire that looks to have been in there for a while. :argh:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

ranathari posted:

Hah, I meant the general nature of riding in those countries. Like how strictly the speed limit's enforced, attitude of the police to riders getting their knee down, filtering, all those kind of things.

Mind if I email you to get some ideas of specific routes that are good?

Sure, e-mail away.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phy posted:

I did find out one interesting thing - either the longitudinal twin produces a lot of torque steer, or my rev matching sucks rear end, because every time I let off the clutch too fast the bike kind of twitched to the left. Actually glad I wasn't on something with more power.

Yeah, bikes with longitudinal cranks have that effect. I've noticed it on BMWs, not really at speed but if you gun it a little at a red light for instance.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ola posted:

Yeah, bikes with longitudinal cranks have that effect. I've noticed it on BMWs, not really at speed but if you gun it a little at a red light for instance.

That's what made the Sopwith Camel dangerous to the enemy and pilots. Well, it was a rotary engine, the whole engine block rotated and it turned to the left quick as all getout, but to the right slowly. It also had a tendency to roll over on takeoff as soon as the wheels left the ground.
http://www.animatedengines.com/gnome.shtml

Derail over.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's what made the Sopwith Camel dangerous to the enemy and pilots. Well, it was a rotary engine, the whole engine block rotated and it turned to the left quick as all getout, but to the right slowly. It also had a tendency to roll over on takeoff as soon as the wheels left the ground.
http://www.animatedengines.com/gnome.shtml

I was about to call bullshit on your naming it a rotary engine, and then I clicked the link. :psyduck: Who the gently caress ever thought that having the whole engine rotate around the crank would be a wise design choice? :aaaaa:

It's not like a radial engine was ridiculous (and awesome) enough already, they had to make the whole loving thing spin along with the prop.

:hawaaaafap:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Simkin posted:

It's not like a radial engine was ridiculous (and awesome) enough already, they had to make the whole loving thing spin along with the prop.

This is why I get picky on the "radial" versus "rotary" and ask if they mean wankel or rotary ;-) The differences are astounding.

Rotary engines have two principal advantages. First, they're stupidly simple to build. Second they area always well cooled.

Obviously we've overcome those advantages elsewhere. I can't think of a single production rotary.

There were a couple production bikes with rotaries though. I'll need to dig up the names. Velocipide sounds right, but I can't be sure.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Nerobro posted:

This is why I get picky on the "radial" versus "rotary" and ask if they mean wankel or rotary ;-) The differences are astounding.

Rotary engines have two principal advantages. First, they're stupidly simple to build. Second they area always well cooled.

Obviously we've overcome those advantages elsewhere. I can't think of a single production rotary.

There were a couple production bikes with rotaries though. I'll need to dig up the names. Velocipide sounds right, but I can't be sure.

Another advantage was in an era where engine rpms were low the block and jugs were the heavy flywheel to keep it running when conditions weren't optimal, keeping overall engine weight down.
The disadvantages were it was either full throttle or off, to adjust speed, they'd flick the ignition on/off and the drat thing would spew the castor oil lube off into a mist covering the pilots.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

The disadvantages were it was either full throttle or off, to adjust speed, they'd flick the ignition on/off and the drat thing would spew the castor oil lube off into a mist covering the pilots.

I dare say the biggest disadvantage was the massive gyroscopic forces (which all propeller aircraft have to some extent) which caused the plane to behave like a dreidel spun by a gentile. Since the rest of the plane was light and the low airspeed meant little aerodynamic control authority, you really had to make this stuff work for you. Right rudder could mean nose down etc.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
For trip planning, has anyone ever found a site that you plug in say two zipcodes, and it gives the 5-10 day forecast for the start and destination and maybe a midpoint between?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
A cursory googling discovered this:
http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/routeWeather.jsp

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

A cursory googling discovered this:
http://www.weatherbonk.com/weather/routeWeather.jsp

wow, that works for the UK too! Cool! (not that I'd trust any sort of UK weather forcast to be accurate)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ola posted:

massive gyroscopic forces
Lol That's what got us started on this in the first place.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

Lol That's what got us started on this in the first place.

The discussion is precessing about its axis in a stationary plane.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Last night I realized that I wanted to do the 1500miles in 36hour iron butt challenge, and that Brooklyn was almost exactly 1500 miles from my apartment. Do I get extra points if I listen to no sleep till Brooklyn on loop the entire trip?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

blugu64 posted:

Last night I realized that I wanted to do the 1500miles in 36hour iron butt challenge, and that Brooklyn was almost exactly 1500 miles from my apartment. Do I get extra points if I listen to no sleep till Brooklyn on loop the entire trip?

Depends on if your sanity is intact when you arrive.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

Where would the fun be in that?

EDIT: The best part of touring is the mental process that goes on when you wake up and sudden realization that you're a thousand miles from home, and the follow up what the hell are you doing here moment, then you get up and find a twisty road.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 28, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

You're assuming it will be before he departs. His idea suggests otherwise.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
edit: This is so not the question thread.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 28, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Then why the gently caress would you post that?!

Because all that picture does is raise questions.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gr3y posted:

Then why the gently caress would you post that?!

Because all that picture does is raise questions.

Yeah, like is that helmet really DOT (or ECE) approved?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

It's not the cops & gear thread, either. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Linedance posted:

wow, that works for the UK too! Cool! (not that I'd trust any sort of UK weather forcast to be accurate)

What's so hard to figure out? Rain, rain, rain, rain...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm all for experimenting with alternative fuels, but why not use a disposable UJM as your guinea pig?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...SQ5fmotorcycles

Granted, it's made up of parts sourced from all over the place, but still...

E: He could've at least used a Lister. :britain:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 31, 2009

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Bucephalus posted:

I'm all for experimenting with alternative fuels, but why not use a disposable UJM as your guinea pig?

What a freaking odd project. I wonder if he had all those parts lying around or what.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

Wow, that is really absurd. Cool, though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

gave the bike a general visual inspection yesterday along with a chain lube. Noticed my rear tire is squaring up nicely, and that I make more left turns than right. Something like a Michelin Pilot Road dual compound will be my next tire I think.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well, I finished a motorcycling project tonight. An ex coworker picked up a Yamaha U7E. It's a 75cc 2 stroke competitor to the honda passport.

I got new tires on it, a new rear tube, and took it for a ride tonight.

This video is from a week or two ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPlQgin2BJ8

I didn't ride it then because the rear tire had a blown bead. Now it doesn't. Now it just needs an airbox to solve the "can't run more than 1/4 throttle" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pff just tape over half of the carb intake.