Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Weaponizers was only a 3 episode run, so I guess we can stop complaining about it. I wish they would revamp it into a real competition show. They could fill 2 hours a week if they did it right. One night could be build night, then another night could be competition night. That way you could fit more than 2 teams in as well. A 4 vehicle rumble would be pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MrDingleDangle posted:

I think the editing is just getting really bad.

according to the editing Cornilea Marie has not 290,000 pounds of crab with the largest single pot being like 10 crabs...so they have pulled 29,000 pots this season

then you have the Time Bandit. Every pot they pulled was 60+ going into the last string, but if they don't catch at least 30 a pot then they will lose a lot of money. WTF, what would have happened if they were only pulling 50+ the entire time? and they are back days early, so why did they have to get 30+ the final string

A) they are really bad editing and telling us what is really going on

B) it was a really really boring season so they just made up stories that they needed to catch crab.

also didn't they say before the season "1 captain won't be coming back"...well the boat that sanks captain made it back so does that mean something is still coming?

Maybe they meant Phil being too sick to come back to fishing?

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe they meant Phil being too sick to come back to fishing?

Yeah I figure it will either be that, or the new captain won't be back for crab next year due to bad numbers. Maybe lose the contract or something like that. I love this show, but this year is pretty drat boring. Guess that is what happens with un-scripted (for the most part) reality tv.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Plague Skillet posted:

...Guess that is what happens with un-scripted (for the most part) reality tv.

Yeap, "creative editing" and Mike Rowe narration can't save it. Deadliest Catch needs one more season to just drive it into the ground. Mythbusters has been having a good season in my opinion...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Tonights Mythbusters was pretty good. I have a feeling Kari's pregnancy was the reason we got the full crew on one myth. They should have found a way to have the girl come to a stop at the top of her arc. That would better simulate possibly landing perfectly on a nearby building. As it was though, it was a hilarious launch.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

XK posted:

Weaponizers was only a 3 episode run, so I guess we can stop complaining about it. I wish they would revamp it into a real competition show. They could fill 2 hours a week if they did it right. One night could be build night, then another night could be competition night. That way you could fit more than 2 teams in as well. A 4 vehicle rumble would be pretty sweet.

They just needed to pick a way to go, either setup a large scale battlebots-style tournament letting people/teams spend however much they want or make it junkyard wars like with a few days to build and a grab bag or very limited budget.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Teek posted:

Tonights Mythbusters was pretty good.

Yeah I think it was the first legitimately interesting/good episode in a pretty long time.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hutch posted:

Even after the Derby days, King Crab season is only about a week long. When it was still derby rules the season sometimes was as short as 4 days (but there were also two to three times as many boats out there).

Are we sure about that? Mike Rowe's narration at the start of the most recent episode began talking about how it's been "Six weeks of brutal weather conditions," and as someone else mentioned the Cornelia Marie has somehow caught 290k pounds of crab while pulling 10 per pot.

Trident posted:

This season of Deadliest Catch is really lacking in story. There is no Phil to yell at his kids, Johnathan's kid isn't around so no family reminiscing, and Sig's greenhorn went from badass "I'll do anything to make you love me" last season to a meth mouth whiny little bitch this season. I still like the show, but it is really missing the personality. All there is to be interested in is watching them fish, and I got tired of that years ago.

Jonathan's kid is still around and on the boat. He hasn't been shown much at all. The guy that's been shown even less is Jonathan's other brother. He must not be very camera friendly or something.

The new boat isn't very interesting at all, either, except for that Hungarian guy who is the most bad rear end dude on the show, ever.

I thought they might develop the whole "Which crew member won't be brought back on the Time Bandit?" thing a bit more, but even that has disappeared.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What mythbusters was it that they all came together for one myth? The narrator said it was only done once before last night.

Discovery surprised me last Friday with a daytime show called "Wrecks to Riches", about how they take old junker cars and restore them for auctions. It looked like it was pretty decent with the how-to process and kept the drama to a minimum.

I'm also of the opinion that Deadliest Catch this season is lacking something. The relief skipper's woes on the Cornelia Marie could have made for some nail-biting tension. The promo at the end of this week's episode made it look like that Phil was making a comeback, though.

The only thing sadder than that Weaponizers show is the fact that I've caught every episode of Pitchmen so far. Every rational fiber of my being says I shouldn't be watching a show about the world's biggest loudmouth, but I can't help but see how many more ways Billy Mays is an rear end in a top hat.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 21, 2009

hutch
May 30, 2001

Slow, wide & ugly. Just the way I like 'em

Todd Flanders posted:

Are we sure about that? Mike Rowe's narration at the start of the most recent episode began talking about how it's been "Six weeks of brutal weather conditions," and as someone else mentioned the Cornelia Marie has somehow caught 290k pounds of crab while pulling 10 per pot.

I think Rowe's narration is "six weeks (of TV show)..." Wiki backs me up (sorta) about it being 2-4 weeks. Opilio crab season lasts generally about a month as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_king_crab_fishing#cite_note-deadliestcatch-4

quote:

The most popular crab-fishing months occur between October and January. The allocated time for a season continued to shrink — at one point a red crab season was only 4 days long. After 2005, each boat was given a quota based on their catch from previous years and how many crabs are available to catch. The fleet went from 251 boats down to 89. Currently the seasons last from two to four weeks

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

iastudent posted:

What mythbusters was it that they all came together for one myth? The narrator said it was only done once before last night.

Confederate rocket? That's the only other 'big myth' that I can remember.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

hutch posted:

I think Rowe's narration is "six weeks (of TV show)..." Wiki backs me up (sorta) about it being 2-4 weeks. Opilio crab season lasts generally about a month as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_king_crab_fishing#cite_note-deadliestcatch-4

Well, you have to figure in prep time as well. The crew has to make sure every single pot is fixed and ready to go. They also have to make sure the boat is well stocked and everything is running. That has to take at LEAST a week.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FractionMan posted:

Confederate rocket? That's the only other 'big myth' that I can remember.

Oh, Archimedes Death Ray as well. I'm sure there were one or two episodes exclusively devoted to that.

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma
I wish Mythbusters went back to testing actual myths, not reenacting word problems from SAT prep exams.

And I wish the spikey-haired doofuses would stop whooping like drunken Hopis any time something remotely interesting happens.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Can we talk about HD Theater in here? It's a Discovery network.

My mornings on weekdays usually consist of me drinking coffee and checking email with Sunrise Earth on.

And also al the replays from the other Discovery channels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite myths are ones where they have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. Yesterday I was watching the Youtube episode and they had the Lego ball segment and it was hilarious how they spent so much time and money on the thing (they said they spent 2 weeks and over 1000 man hours on building it) but when they took it out to test the myth it broke completely apart within 10 feet of rolling.

Stuff like that and the exploding rocket car (when they retested the pilot episode myth and got everything ready to go only for the rocket to detonate destroying the car when they tried to launch it) are why the show is worth watching even through the mediocre stuff.

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma

muscles like this? posted:

Lego ball

That segment was the absolute worst instance of the contrived, exaggerated excitement from those two chucklefucks. When that ball crumbled, I was sad, and I only had a 10 minute investment. They should have been devastated. Instead: Drunken Hopis.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

therochester posted:

I wish Mythbusters went back to testing actual myths, not reenacting word problems from SAT prep exams.

They're scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a reason, I think it's safe to say they've exhausted every practical myth that is possible at this point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stuff like that and the exploding rocket car (when they retested the pilot episode myth and got everything ready to go only for the rocket to detonate destroying the car when they tried to launch it) are why the show is worth watching even through the mediocre stuff.

The rocket didn't detonate all on its own, though. The idiots made a long metal tube to hold an incredibly powerful rocket and then sealed one end of the tube with a thin metal plate and some spot welds.

Surprisingly, the 1/16th inch thick plate was unable to hold the 10 gazillion pounds of pressure the rocket put on it and all the hot burny parts ended up inside the car.

Then it detonated

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

My favorite myths are ones where they have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. Yesterday I was watching the Youtube episode and they had the Lego ball segment and it was hilarious how they spent so much time and money on the thing (they said they spent 2 weeks and over 1000 man hours on building it) but when they took it out to test the myth it broke completely apart within 10 feet of rolling.

I was tempted to send in a complaint that if the legos had been staggered instead of built into intermediate sized blocks first, it might have stayed together, and thus needed to be retested :devil:.

But I'm not that cruel.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Bremen posted:

I was tempted to send in a complaint that if the legos had been staggered instead of built into intermediate sized blocks first, it might have stayed together, and thus needed to be retested :devil:.

But I'm not that cruel.
I sort of felt the same way, the way it crumbled it looked like they built it into a grid of bricks instead of interlocking. If built like that an actual ball of bricks and mortar would last just as long. The myth was still busted but could've probably lasted a lot longer (a consistent shedding of outer layers) if it was all interlocked with no big breaks in between.

keeper fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 24, 2009

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Deadliest Catch wrapped up the king crab season tonight. That hugeass pile of dead crabs on the Cornelia Marie wasn't an encouraging sign at first. :smith:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

iastudent posted:

Deadliest Catch wrapped up the king crab season tonight. That hugeass pile of dead crabs on the Cornelia Marie wasn't an encouraging sign at first. :smith:

I find it funny how they painted the Cornelia Marie as getting the poo poo end of the stick all season (grinding for two weeks, tons of dead loss), and still their deckhands made the most per man of the entire cast of boats.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah for all the drama they tried to create the boats that were supposed to be struggling like hell made $20,000 more per man than the others. And it's kind of funny that they stopped even bothering to follow that really small boat with the badass old guy.

Also why are you guys spoiler tagging poo poo that has aired?

hutch
May 30, 2001

Slow, wide & ugly. Just the way I like 'em
I liked how they kept going back talking about a 50 day season and a 15 day season. I know several times Rowe said "50" but then at the end one of Phil's kids said something along the lines of "two weeks out there, man that's my longest trip". Very inconsistent with how they edited it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I want to know what Brian said on Canada's Worst Handyman. Or at least what the subject was about. :(

Ian_T
Feb 14, 2006

The perfect disguise!

GuavaMoment posted:

I want to know what Brian said on Canada's Worst Handyman. Or at least what the subject was about. :(

From what I've been reading, Brian P uttered threatening statements to Brian M, so I think it goes quite a bit further than "you f***** p****" that you hear in the episode.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

IRQ posted:

Yeah for all the drama they tried to create the boats that were supposed to be struggling like hell made $20,000 more per man than the others. And it's kind of funny that they stopped even bothering to follow that really small boat with the badass old guy.

Yeah, what the hell happened to the Lisa Marie? They just stopped following it as abruptly as the introduced it into the show.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 27, 2009

Ian_T
Feb 14, 2006

The perfect disguise!
Regarding Mythbusters episode 84 (yes, I know it's 2 years old), their claim that cars can't be e-braked by shifting into reverse is wrong. I tried it on a 1996 ford explorer, with an automatic transmission, right before donating it to a school shop and was able to go from 65km/hour to a screeching halt in a couple seconds by doing this. The car also stalled, but I was able to restart it afterward and drive it perfectly fine.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doronin posted:

Yeah, what the hell happened to the Lucky Lady? They just stopped following it as abruptly as the introduced it into the show.

Maybe they decided it was too boring and didn't show any more footage? There was a whole boat cut out of Season 1.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Maybe they decided it was too boring and didn't show any more footage? There was a whole boat cut out of Season 1.

But then it's weird that they included it at all, for all of the 15 or 20 minutes we ever saw of it.

Show it or don't, you know? Not that I wouldn't agree to anyone saying it was mostly boring except for the badass old guy.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Luigi Thirty posted:

IRQ posted:

But then it's weird that they included it at all, for all of the 15 or 20 minutes we ever saw of it.

Show it or don't, you know? Not that I wouldn't agree to anyone saying it was mostly boring except for the badass old guy.

Yeah, it was a boring boat and all, but why even bring it up if the were just going to cut it out of the end of King season? Or at least give a brief blurb of "Oh, yeah the Lisa Marie made the 90 mile jog, bombed out and came home. But 150 miles northeast of Dutch Harbor..." then proceed to talk about the other boats while tying up the Lisa Marie thing. I just thought it was weird that they bothered to include anything about it.

EDIT: I had to replace "Lucky Lady" with "Lisa Marie" because I watched the Season 1 marathon earlier in the weekend and got the names of the season 1 and season 5 boats mixed up.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 27, 2009

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

IRQ posted:

yeah that was pretty funny...like the time bandit, got in a week before the other boats, but they earned a fraction of the money. i feel bad for the interm skipper on the cornelia marie, they made it look like he sucked, but then his crew earned more then anyone

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Ian_T posted:

Regarding Mythbusters episode 84 (yes, I know it's 2 years old), their claim that cars can't be e-braked by shifting into reverse is wrong. I tried it on a 1996 ford explorer, with an automatic transmission, right before donating it to a school shop and was able to go from 65km/hour to a screeching halt in a couple seconds by doing this. The car also stalled, but I was able to restart it afterward and drive it perfectly fine.

You should submit this to them and see if you can get them to revisit that myth.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Is anyone else still watching the Alaskan Experiment? Seems to be turning into watching people camp. About 15 minutes talking about how hungry they are...15 minutes not finding animals to shoot. 15 minutes of successful hunting and 15 minutes of eating each episode.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

IRQ posted:

I did it because I posted just after it aired, and wanted to be safe in case someone hasn't seen it yet.

As to the Lisa Marie, I'm not upset they stopped getting mentioned. Aside from the Hungarian deckhand, there was nothing interesting about them. It seemed like they were trying for another North American story, but fell just short.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

MrDingleDangle posted:

Is anyone else still watching the Alaskan Experiment? Seems to be turning into watching people camp. About 15 minutes talking about how hungry they are...15 minutes not finding animals to shoot. 15 minutes of successful hunting and 15 minutes of eating each episode.

They're in the Alaskan wilderness in winter... what else would they be doing?

I've enjoyed the episode. It was nice that they were able to get so much game this episode. But in the end, I think their will to go on in the show is about out. Had they managed to get a bear, they're probably all make it to the end. As it stands, unless it ends soon, I could see them all leaving.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

Teek posted:

They're in the Alaskan wilderness in winter... what else would they be doing?

I've enjoyed the episode. It was nice that they were able to get so much game this episode. But in the end, I think their will to go on in the show is about out. Had they managed to get a bear, they're probably all make it to the end. As it stands, unless it ends soon, I could see them all leaving.

I noticed we didn't get a preview for next week, so I assume it will be there last. They also said in the beginning that it was going to be over 4 weeks (so we can assume between 4 and 5), which is about where they are at. Also, they are building it up to a breaking point, which makes it all the sweeter when they get out.

So I'm guessing the next leg is the trek out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

hutch posted:

I liked how they kept going back talking about a 50 day season and a 15 day season. I know several times Rowe said "50" but then at the end one of Phil's kids said something along the lines of "two weeks out there, man that's my longest trip". Very inconsistent with how they edited it.

Even better is talking about 6 weeks of harsh fishing for the Northwestern, and then immediately cutting to the CM captain talking about the 2 weeks of fishing they did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
One thing that was weird was when the CM went in to unload they showed one of their unloads from earlier in the season when they had no mohawks it completely threw me off.

• Locked thread