Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

The bike was off at the time, could that have caused it? I was making sure it was in N before I started it, since I didnt want to look like a jackass ramming his bike into the wall as I let off the clutch to walk around the bike idling :v:

that'll do it, first on my sv can only be attained when the engine's turning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

The bike was off at the time, could that have caused it?
I don't know how similar the first and second gen trannies are, but when my bike is off, I pretty much can't shift gears reliably without a lot of fiddling and rolling it forward a little.

dietcokefiend posted:

in other news my sv is getting a new chain and sprockets (+3 rear sprocket) this weekend and a set of those intiminators
My front end is probably oversprung for the way the Intiminators (seriously, could they have come up with a worse name?) work, but I like mine. Small bumps are greatly lessened and the chassis seems more stable overall. For the money, pretty good stuff.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Damnit I don't know what to do. There are non-crashed virgin sv650's in the 2500-3000 range with similar miles around my area. What is finding replacement parts like on a bike cobbled together? Is it nearly impossible?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I don't see why replacement parts would be an issue, assuming that all the transplanted parts came from reasonably common bikes, which I think is the case here. Am I overlooking any completely custom one-off parts on it?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

dietcokefiend posted:

Damnit I don't know what to do. There are non-crashed virgin sv650's in the 2500-3000 range with similar miles around my area. What is finding replacement parts like on a bike cobbled together? Is it nearly impossible?

If you can afford a bike that hasn't been hosed up, and it seems like you are relatively new to riding, I would suggest not getting the frankenbike. Why spend hours/countless headaches sorting that thing out when you can just get something ready to ride and enjoy? If this wasn't your first bike and you were familiar with bike repair, I would say go for it... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

`Nemesis posted:

If you can afford a bike that hasn't been hosed up, and it seems like you are relatively new to riding, I would suggest not getting the frankenbike. Why spend hours/countless headaches sorting that thing out when you can just get something ready to ride and enjoy? If this wasn't your first bike and you were familiar with bike repair, I would say go for it... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Listen to this post, as it strikes at the real core of things. If you want a cheap project, this SV is perfect with a lot of potential, but it could need a lot of work to see that potential.

Replacement parts are very easy to come by on SVs. Common, popular bikes with a lot of them floating around.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Listen to this post, as it strikes at the real core of things. If you want a cheap project, this SV is perfect with a lot of potential, but it could need a lot of work to see that potential.

Replacement parts are very easy to come by on SVs. Common, popular bikes with a lot of them floating around.

Well I was referring to the new front and rear end. Depending on how much stuff changes through model years locating crap for the forks/bearings might be a pain if he doesnt even know what the donor bike was. Another thing was the "custom" steering head bearings he used for the new front end.

I think I am going to pass on this one. EAch time I went into my garage tonight I kept thinking of my ZX as a nicer bike condition wise. Buying this particular sv650 would probably be little to no gain in reliability over my current bike. Going to checkout more sv's this week though :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

dietcokefiend posted:

I think I am going to pass on this one. EAch time I went into my garage tonight I kept thinking of my ZX as a nicer bike condition wise. Buying this particular sv650 would probably be little to no gain in reliability over my current bike. Going to checkout more sv's this week though :)

Good. Like Z3n said the SV is a great project bike, but its the kind of bike where its better to start close to stock and modify it the way you want to rather than to start by sorting through all the nutso things the PO did to get that wreck on the road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Well I was referring to the new front and rear end. Depending on how much stuff changes through model years locating crap for the forks/bearings might be a pain if he doesnt even know what the donor bike was. Another thing was the "custom" steering head bearings he used for the new front end.

Honestly, I could help you navigate the mindfield that that bike probably is, but if you don't have to, why? Buy a nice example and have fun on it. That's what SVs do best anyways. Find one like phil was looking at and be set forever with it. Or until you get bored ;)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I'm trying to find the offset bracket that goes between the frame and the lower fairing, and allows me to mount the frame sliders. When I high sided I completely split the thing in half, and was easily able to bondo my fairing together. But I haven't been able to find this bracket anywhere. I bought some frame sliders and it turned out to only have the pucks, not the offset bracket. Does anyone know where I can find this thing?

The left circle is the bracket.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1177446673.html

So what do you guys think :q:

Scorpian slipon muffler, 50 year old dude who bought it for his wife, she never rode it. Old motorcycle racer/saleman.

Only issue is the drat thing is lowered for a 5' 3" 115lb woman :-/

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1177446673.html

So what do you guys think :q:

Scorpian slipon muffler, 50 year old dude who bought it for his wife, she never rode it. Old motorcycle racer/saleman.

Only issue is the drat thing is lowered for a 5' 3" 115lb woman :-/

If it was lowered via lowering links, it's not a big deal. He's got it priced over high blue book, though, and it's definantly not worth that. I'd offer 3500 and walk if he doesn't take it. It's not worth 4500, high blue book is 4300, and low is 3000. Plus the fact that it's lowered and you have to deal with raising it again means there's no way that it's even worth high blue book to you. Scorpion exhausts are one step above generic chinese slipon.

This bike doesn't have "tons of extras" either...an exhaust, frame sliders, and a solo cowl (that's supposed to come with the bike, IIRC) is a couple of things and only a few hundred new.

I'd pass unless he's willing to be a lot more reasonable on the price. 650 miles over 4 years means that it sat for a long time, and sitting isn't the best thing for motorcycles. Seals all over the bike dry out, rubber gets brittle, etc.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

If it was lowered via lowering links, it's not a big deal. He's got it priced over high blue book, though, and it's definantly not worth that. I'd offer 3500 and walk if he doesn't take it. It's not worth 4500, high blue book is 4300, and low is 3000. Plus the fact that it's lowered and you have to deal with raising it again means there's no way that it's even worth high blue book to you. Scorpion exhausts are one step above generic chinese slipon.

This bike doesn't have "tons of extras" either...an exhaust, frame sliders, and a solo cowl (that's supposed to come with the bike, IIRC) is a couple of things and only a few hundred new.

I'd pass unless he's willing to be a lot more reasonable on the price.

Awww drat well when you put it like that 8 hours of driving today (2 each way, 2 trips) it makes it sound less tempting :sad:

PITA to fine decent sv650's out here

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Ok what about this one

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=102701

Year: 2007
Make: Suzuki
Model: SV650A (THIS MODEL HAS ANTI-LOCK BRAKES ABS!!!)
Miles: 11,100
General Description:
This one owner SV has been adult owned and ridden. Mostly commuting on I-65.
I get 52-57mpg in the city or on the highway.
It has always been garaged.
Each winter it has been winterized per the Suzuki owners manual in a temperature controlled (55 degrees Fahrenheit) garage under a cover that is included.
The battery is connected to a Battery Tender when not in use for more than 1 week.
I have waxed the bike at least three times per year, hand washed it as needed, and detailed it after each ride.
There are no scratches on the bike bigger than the tip of a needle.
It has NEVER been down, crashed, or wrecked in any way.
The SV has been meticulously maintained.
All of the scheduled factory maintenance has been done, the oil has been changed religiously with Suzuki factory oil and filters.
Has Continental Road Attack tires with 1400 miles that were mounted at Indy Ducati last fall.

The bike has a few additional items:
-Jardine 3/4 full exhaust system with titanium muffler WITH O2 sensor (bolt on, no modifications necessary)
-Xsighting Lighting XE7 bi-function HID headlamp (bolt on) (DOT compliant) see xsightinglighting.com for details on the XE7. I have an extra HID bulb as well. They last for at least 3500 hours! The picture below shows what just the LOW beam looks like.
-Suzuki factory clear turn signals and amber bulbs

Included with the sale:
-Original muffler
-Original headlamp
-Battery Tender (charger), the harness is connected to the bike
-Black vented nylon cover

It is an awesome bike, but I am getting married and have to sell it.

Price: 4,100 OBO, make me an offer!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Ok what about this one

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=102701

Year: 2007
Make: Suzuki
Model: SV650A (THIS MODEL HAS ANTI-LOCK BRAKES ABS!!!)
Miles: 11,100
General Description:
This one owner SV has been adult owned and ridden. Mostly commuting on I-65.
I get 52-57mpg in the city or on the highway.
It has always been garaged.
Each winter it has been winterized per the Suzuki owners manual in a temperature controlled (55 degrees Fahrenheit) garage under a cover that is included.
The battery is connected to a Battery Tender when not in use for more than 1 week.
I have waxed the bike at least three times per year, hand washed it as needed, and detailed it after each ride.
There are no scratches on the bike bigger than the tip of a needle.
It has NEVER been down, crashed, or wrecked in any way.
The SV has been meticulously maintained.
All of the scheduled factory maintenance has been done, the oil has been changed religiously with Suzuki factory oil and filters.
Has Continental Road Attack tires with 1400 miles that were mounted at Indy Ducati last fall.

The bike has a few additional items:
-Jardine 3/4 full exhaust system with titanium muffler WITH O2 sensor (bolt on, no modifications necessary)
-Xsighting Lighting XE7 bi-function HID headlamp (bolt on) (DOT compliant) see xsightinglighting.com for details on the XE7. I have an extra HID bulb as well. They last for at least 3500 hours! The picture below shows what just the LOW beam looks like.
-Suzuki factory clear turn signals and amber bulbs

Included with the sale:
-Original muffler
-Original headlamp
-Battery Tender (charger), the harness is connected to the bike
-Black vented nylon cover

It is an awesome bike, but I am getting married and have to sell it.

Price: 4,100 OBO, make me an offer!

That's a good deal, especially with complete maintenence records. I'm not a fan of the looks of the bike, but that's a personal thing. ABS is awesome on a streetbike, so that's a bonus for sure.

If you want an SV, he's obviously negotioable on the price, show up with 3800$ and see if he takes it. Newer bike, somewhat higher miles (not a huge concern on an SV), and good maintenence for 400$ cheaper than the other bike? Hell yes...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dude, I paid 2000 for my 2001 sv650S. It had a poo poo load of problems when I bought it but I didn't know it. I brought an experienced rider around and even HE didn't see all the problems it had.

Whenever somebody sells their used bike, they're baiscally getting rid of their "problems."

I have put way more than a grand and a half just trying to get the drat thing into proper condition.

New tires, chains, fairings, oil, headlights, fairings etc etc etc

List goes on.

HOWEVER, my bike has nearly 30,000 miles on it(I added 8 k of that on my own suck it :) )

So, what am I trying to say?

This: I wish I had gone with a relatively better condition bike, for a bit more expense. I love the fact I've learned so much about my bike by having it fall apart when I travel the world(mainly texas) but god drat if it isn't frustrating sometimes.

i dunno whatever

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Called him up, going to paypal him tonight and work out a title transfer with his friend over the weekend. God I am so excited I think I need to take a break and think about it. Is there anything possibly bad about that bike in any way? I need to put doubt in my head damnit :dance:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Called him up, going to paypal him tonight and work out a title transfer with his friend over the weekend. God I am so excited I think I need to take a break and think about it. Is there anything possibly bad about that bike in any way? I need to put doubt in my head damnit :dance:

You don't want an SV? That's a great deal on a much newer bike. I'd go check it out and make sure that everything is exactly as he says, but if it's really like he says (and it appears to be) then you should have a very nice SV.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

The SV's ABS kicks rear end and it's totally worth it. It makes so much sense for a streetbike and it's completely transparent until a tire locks. You chose a good bike.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

You don't want an SV? That's a great deal on a much newer bike. I'd go check it out and make sure that everything is exactly as he says, but if it's really like he says (and it appears to be) then you should have a very nice SV.

Yea I will hopefully have high resolution pictures in about 30 minutes when he gets back, then after that I will paypal him a deposit to hold the bike for the weekend.

Is that HID kit DOT legal like he says?

Also considering I will be riding 3 hours on the bike for the first rider ever on another bike, what might be different handling wise with the sv650 over my zx600? You mentioned higher lowend power before. Will the brakes act much different with the ABS under normal conditions?

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea I will hopefully have high resolution pictures in about 30 minutes when he gets back, then after that I will paypal him a deposit to hold the bike for the weekend.

Also considering I will be riding 3 hours on the bike for the first rider ever on another bike, what might be different handling wise with the sv650 over my zx600? You mentioned higher lowend power before. Will the brakes act much different with the ABS under normal conditions?

Be prepared for strong engine braking. That's one of the things that caught me off guard the first time I rode my SV.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

waptang posted:

Be prepared for strong engine braking. That's one of the things that caught me off guard the first time I rode my SV.

Odd I would have thought my i4 might have stronger engine braking than a twin. Are we talking "drat my butt is slipping forward more than I would like" or "holy poo poo gently caress I am over the front tire i am going to die ahhh" if your hand slips off the throttle in top gear at highway speeds.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dietcokefiend posted:

Odd I would have thought my i4 might have stronger engine braking than a twin. Are we talking "drat my butt is slipping forward more than I would like" or "holy poo poo gently caress I am over the front tire i am going to die ahhh" if your hand slips off the throttle in top gear at highway speeds.

It's like slamming on the rear brakes without losing traction...most of the time.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
http://www.t3flange.com/PICT0032.zip

pics of the bike as promised, oh god oh god i want it NOW

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Will the brakes act much different with the ABS under normal conditions?

I've never ridden a non-ABS second gen SV, but the brakes act exactly the same as on any other bike under non-slipping conditions. The lever might be a little mushier, but I don't know that for sure.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

The bike looks really nice.

Things to note, uhh...well, first of all, the throttle is going to feel really "twitchy". Because you get the power at lower levels, not when you run the RPMs up, the bike is going to require somewhat finer throttle control. Not a huge amount, but be careful about goosing the throttle at low RPM, as the bike will scoot forward quickly even from 3k.

There is a lot of engine braking on an SV. Enough that you don't really need to brake if you don't want to. If your hand slips off at freeway speeds, you will scrub speed very quickly and it will pull you forward. Find some nice stretch of deserted road, and just practice rolling on and off the throttle or just dropping the throttle and seeing what happens.

Basically, take the power of your I4 and spread it all through the rev range, reducing it slightly, and you have an SV. You won't notice the ABS at all until it saves your rear end.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Ok well it is up to 4200 then with 2 other buyers... I have no problem going that high but should I?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Ok well it is up to 4200 then with 2 other buyers... I have no problem going that high but should I?

How do you verify that he has 2 other buyers?

I'd pass at this point, there are plenty more bikes out there. It's a great deal, but not if you spend all your time being jerked around by the seller. He goes from "price reduced" to suddenly having 3 sellers? I doubt it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

How do you verify that he has 2 other buyers?

I'd pass at this point, there are plenty more bikes out there. It's a great deal, but not if you spend all your time being jerked around by the seller. He goes from "price reduced" to suddenly having 3 sellers? I doubt it.

He mentioned the buyer beforehand, and the HID really makes the bike for me. ~500 bucks it seems for it, with spare bulb as well.

EDIT: I am such a dirty dirty consumer whore :sigh:, payment away

EDIT EDIT: Getting it Saturday morning, adding it to my Geico policy now. Holy poo poo no impulse control

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh, well, it's still a good bike, just a slightly less good deal. Post up when you get it :)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Ahh, well, it's still a good bike, just a slightly less good deal. Post up when you get it :)

Damnit why does everyone with a sv650 have to race people and crash it or something. Getting some insurance quotes for it have been surprising to say the least. :barf:

So with 11-12k what am I looking at in regards to maintenance off the bat? I have seen quite a few CL sv650's at ~10k with people replacing the clutch among other things. Anything to watch out for? Should I be looking at spark plugs or valve adjustments this early, or wait until after this riding season and do them in offtime?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Damnit why does everyone with a sv650 have to race people and crash it or something. Getting some insurance quotes for it have been surprising to say the least. :barf:

So with 11-12k what am I looking at in regards to maintenance off the bat? I have seen quite a few CL sv650's at ~10k with people replacing the clutch among other things. Anything to watch out for? Should I be looking at spark plugs or valve adjustments this early, or wait until after this riding season and do them in offtime?

Valve adjustments are due every 12k. I'd do plugs as well.

You shouldn't be replacing the clutch at 10k unless someone is seriously burning it up or has it adjusted wrong. I've seen stock clutches with years of race use on them, and they're fine as long as people don't burn them up by doing a lot of launches back to back or having them adjusted wrong so they slip all the time, or using energy conserving oil that bonds to the plates and makes them slip.

Your SV is expensive to insure because it's an 07 and worth a fair bit.

If the maintenence was done correctly, you probably won't need to do the valves until 18k. I'd check them just to be on the safe side, but it shouldn't be a concern.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Valve adjustments are due every 12k. I'd do plugs as well.

You shouldn't be replacing the clutch at 10k unless someone is seriously burning it up or has it adjusted wrong. I've seen stock clutches with years of race use on them, and they're fine as long as people don't burn them up by doing a lot of launches back to back or having them adjusted wrong so they slip all the time, or using energy conserving oil that bonds to the plates and makes them slip.

Your SV is expensive to insure because it's an 07 and worth a fair bit.

If the maintenence was done correctly, you probably won't need to do the valves until 18k. I'd check them just to be on the safe side, but it shouldn't be a concern.

Yea the clutch ones all did seem odd. 07 models have the dual plugs per cylinder correct?

Also my insurance rate crying was after I was looking at rates for the Kawasaki 650r and V-strom brand new at 450 or so per year, it was a bit of a sticker shock to see the 07 sv650 with ABS at 640 by itself. Progressive seems to be kinder though, going by CC's only, and insurance on both of my bikes total would only be $612.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea the clutch ones all did seem odd. 07 models have the dual plugs per cylinder correct?

Also my insurance rate crying was after I was looking at rates for the Kawasaki 650r and V-strom brand new at 450 or so per year, it was a bit of a sticker shock to see the 07 sv650 with ABS at 640 by itself. Progressive seems to be kinder though, going by CC's only, and insurance on both of my bikes total would only be $612.

They do have the dual plug heads, yes. I've been happy with state farm, personally.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As I've mentioned before, my 07 SV is $430 through State Farm for full coverage in an area with many very nice cars.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Captain Apollo posted:

Dude, I paid 2000 for my 2001 sv650S. It had a poo poo load of problems when I bought it but I didn't know it. I brought an experienced rider around and even HE didn't see all the problems it had.

Whenever somebody sells their used bike, they're baiscally getting rid of their "problems."

I have put way more than a grand and a half just trying to get the drat thing into proper condition.

New tires, chains, fairings, oil, headlights, fairings etc etc etc

List goes on.

HOWEVER, my bike has nearly 30,000 miles on it(I added 8 k of that on my own suck it :) )

So, what am I trying to say?

This: I wish I had gone with a relatively better condition bike, for a bit more expense. I love the fact I've learned so much about my bike by having it fall apart when I travel the world(mainly texas) but god drat if it isn't frustrating sometimes.

i dunno whatever

No, this is you buying a bike that needed a lot of work. Pretty much everything in your list of replacements should have been obvious from an inspection or a test-ride, especially tyres and chains.

I've bought all my bikes second hand and I've not had to do anything beyond normal maintenance work on them because they were in decent condition despite being high milage: before I handed over the money, I went over the bikes as vigourously as I could to check anything that could potentially need work. Some of the bikes I looked at needed a couple of hundred pounds worth of work to fix faults the seller wasn't aware of, which gave me the chance to haggle on the price or walk away if I didn't want to do the work.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

piece of piss, i got the bus across the (admittedly quite small) country to get my sv and rode it home, having previously only ridden 250cc I4 sportsbikes.
the sv and zx are in the same ballpark for power, just different delivery. take it easy for the first few miles then you'll be fine.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

echomadman posted:

piece of piss, i got the bus across the (admittedly quite small) country to get my sv and rode it home, having previously only ridden 250cc I4 sportsbikes.
the sv and zx are in the same ballpark for power, just different delivery. take it easy for the first few miles then you'll be fine.

Yay 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms here and in Indy. Riding home in the pouring rain is going to be AWESOME :q:

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Yay 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms here and in Indy. Riding home in the pouring rain is going to be AWESOME :q:

Just be gentle with the throttle at low speeds and you'll be fine. The SV has a lot of low end torque, but not ridiculous amounts, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Friday and Sunday it's supposed to be nice in Indy if you can pick it up either of those days. Saturday is supposed to rain like you said.

e: Since I started riding, I've noticed that I pay much more attention to the weather than I ever have. So far it hasn't really affected what days I ride, just what I wear and pack.

• Locked thread