Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I'm vaguely interested in Rainbow Six, although upon digging around the most info I can find on the multiplayer is that it used to be hosted on Mplayer.com and Zone.com servers. Does this mean it's defunct presently or are direct-IP games still possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumont
Jan 17, 2009

by The Finn
I tried out GOG in a fit of nostalgia for the bad old days and found out that DOSBox is far from perfect, even with preset tweaks that Windows runs DOS games like a hamster powers a city block, only good game worth getting is Duke Nukem 3D because you can download a fan-made patch which allows you to play in high resolution.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

dumont posted:

I tried out GOG in a fit of nostalgia for the bad old days and found out that DOSBox is far from perfect, even with preset tweaks that Windows runs DOS games like a hamster powers a city block, only good game worth getting is Duke Nukem 3D because you can download a fan-made patch which allows you to play in high resolution.

Maybe you should mention specific games, someone might be able to help you.

dumont
Jan 17, 2009

by The Finn

Cynicide posted:

Maybe you should mention specific games, someone might be able to help you.

Well for one thing Redneck Rampage ran like absolute crap. I wanted to play this game as I had fond memories of being twelve and having a game where I could run around guzzling whiskey for health, and where farts gave away your position to enemies, but it runs like poo poo and crashes all the time despite the graven-in-stone promise from GOG that it runs like a charm. I mean sure it runs, but it runs like a drunk one legged blind hobo

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dumont posted:

Well for one thing Redneck Rampage ran like absolute crap. I wanted to play this game as I had fond memories of being twelve and having a game where I could run around guzzling whiskey for health, and where farts gave away your position to enemies, but it runs like poo poo and crashes all the time despite the graven-in-stone promise from GOG that it runs like a charm. I mean sure it runs, but it runs like a drunk one legged blind hobo
Send GOG support an email, they're supposed to be pretty good about working with you. Redneck Rampage runs fine for me.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

dumont posted:

Every single game I've bought from GOG has run just fine for me with virtually no "tweaking" (I had to change a couple things with Redneck Rampage, but that's because I'm anal). And that's before I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo system.

What are your specs? Did you check the GOG forums? Specifically this post?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Duke Nukem Pack 25% off this week only!!

Maybe 3D Realms has closed it's office, but the King of action games is still alive. Get the best of Duke Nukem and 3D Realms during this week promo on GOG.com!

During this week, until Monday, June 1 at 11:59 p.m., you can buy Duke Nukem bundle including Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project with a 25% discount. The whole action packed bundle will cost you just $8.98, this week only! To receive the discount you have to buy both games in one order or click here to receive the discount and all those of you who already have one of the games can grab the other one with a $1.50 discount. Check out the exclusive Duke Nukem trailers on GOG.com's YouTube channel!

:siren: Also, last chance today to grab TOCA Race Driver 3 for $4.99 before it gets deleted from the GOG catalogue!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there any real difference between the GOG release of Fallout Tactics and the original version? Also, wasn't there a bonus mission disk as well - what's the deal with that and GOG? Thanks.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there any real difference between the GOG release of Fallout Tactics and the original version? Also, wasn't there a bonus mission disk as well - what's the deal with that and GOG? Thanks.

You can get the bonus mission on the GOG version, you just need to download the file with it. I don't think there's any real differences between to two, but I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well, that Duke offer just got me. Manhattan Project was great fun while Duke 3D is one of the greatest things ever. That game was the first time places looked pretty much like real world in a 3D game let alone an FPS, and the coolness didn't stop there. Also probably the first game I played multiplayer in LAN.

edit after playing for about 15 minutes: I'm very surprised by how enjoyable Duke3D is without using any modern enhancements; everything I needed was in the old Setup. I set the controls right for my modern thinking (WASD keys, "inverted" mouse Y-axis), General Midi instead of Soundblaster as the music card (gently caress I love the soundtrack), and the 800x600 maximum resolution is certainly enough with the original textures and sprites. Preconfigured Dosbox is making it all nice and hassle-free for me. I'm loving it.

edit 2: Can I disable the vertical autoaiming somewhere? Kinda too easy right now since I'm mouselookin'

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 26, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Haegemonia: Gold Edition has been released for $9.99. OPs all updated.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Got my stickers in the post today. I'd forgotten all about them but I'm glad GOG hadn't.

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002

Zat posted:

edit 2: Can I disable the vertical autoaiming somewhere? Kinda too easy right now since I'm mouselookin'
I don't believe so, it's just a quirk of the Build engine IIRC. Blood's flare gun had a few problems because of that (deciding to shoot into the platform below an enemy I was under instead of hitting that little exposed part I was aiming for), but on the whole it never really bothered me too much. Just one of those things I got used to over the years, I guess.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Charles Martel posted:

Purchased. I keep buying games randomly from GOG and not even finishing them. I'm gonna see if I can get this working on my Dell Mini 9.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zat posted:

Well, that Duke offer just got me. Manhattan Project was great fun while Duke 3D is one of the greatest things ever. That game was the first time places looked pretty much like real world in a 3D game let alone an FPS, and the coolness didn't stop there. Also probably the first game I played multiplayer in LAN.

edit after playing for about 15 minutes: I'm very surprised by how enjoyable Duke3D is without using any modern enhancements; everything I needed was in the old Setup. I set the controls right for my modern thinking (WASD keys, "inverted" mouse Y-axis), General Midi instead of Soundblaster as the music card (gently caress I love the soundtrack), and the 800x600 maximum resolution is certainly enough with the original textures and sprites. Preconfigured Dosbox is making it all nice and hassle-free for me. I'm loving it.

Just use eduke32. You can run it so it looks and plays almost exactly like the original duke with the bonus of it running a hell of a lot better and having non-gimped mouselook. You can turn autoaiming off too.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Just use eduke32. You can run it so it looks and plays almost exactly like the original duke with the bonus of it running a hell of a lot better and having non-gimped mouselook. You can turn autoaiming off too.

Manhattan project keeps crashing every time I die during the chopper battle. Anyone knows what's going on?

EDIT: there is also a crash after winning the fight.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 27, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

The Belgian posted:

Manhattan project keeps crashing every time I die during the chopper battle. Anyone knows what's going on?

Interesting, I've had it crash on me as well after losing, but not after winning (which is why I didn't bother looking for a solution).

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Plavski posted:

Got my stickers in the post today. I'd forgotten all about them but I'm glad GOG hadn't.

Still waiting on mine, then Chinatown's going to be plastered.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The Belgian posted:

Yeah, this seems to be a pretty widespread problem. I've got it too.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh

FLX posted:

Interesting, I've had it crash on me as well after losing, but not after winning (which is why I didn't bother looking for a solution).

It was crashing for me after that fight no matter what I did, but running the game in OpenGL mode fixed the problem.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Charles Martel posted:

This runs nicely on my Dell Mini 9 and everything is set to default graphics.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
For all you Celt lovers out there, the RTS/RPG hybrid Celtic Kings: Rage of War has been released for $5.99.

Also coming soon is so-so shooter Iron Storm and the terrible racer MegaRace 3. Yay!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just a heads-up, DOSBox .73 is out and includes a nice list of improvements!

DOSBox.com posted:

DOSBox 0.73 has been released!

Most noticeable changes:

Support for more graphics modes and cards.
Improved Vista support.
New OPL emulation cores.
Sound fixes and improvements for Mac OS X.
Lots of compatibility fixes.
Lots of cdrom detection improvements.
Lots of memory (EMS/XMS) improvements.
Various fixes and enhancements for the recompiling core.
Support for evdev.
Lots of DOS fixes.
Slightly faster!
More stable.

More in-depth changelist here.

Downloading now. :)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

and the terrible racer MegaRace 3. Yay!

That's too bad. The screenshots are pretty and I love a good futuristic racer :smith:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

royallthefourth posted:

That's too bad. The screenshots are pretty and I love a good futuristic racer :smith:

Personally, I loved the first two, but didn't like the third one at all. Lance's dialogue goes from enjoyable-yet-cheesy to just lame and annoying. Same goes for the gameplay. It's a shame, really.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Charles Martel posted:

Just a heads-up, DOSBox .73 is out and includes a nice list of improvements!

Downloading now. :)

Here's something I never thought about before: are CD Projekt going to update all their installers so that they'll use the latest version of DOSBox? Or is it sort of a "good enough" thing? Ditto on the few games on Steam that use DOSBox (Commander Keen, etc.).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I bet they will just keep the packages as they are. Why fix something that is not broken, and all that. I don't wanna be the guy that tests all GOG games again every time there's a new DOSBox release.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

ymgve posted:

I bet they will just keep the packages as they are. Why fix something that is not broken, and all that. I don't wanna be the guy that tests all GOG games again every time there's a new DOSBox release.

Yes, certainly the reoptimization of a minority of titles from an already fairly small library, once a year, is a nightmarish prospect.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Silly question, but can the Dosbox games be used on OS X or are they put into one package that can't be seperated? I don't want to have to reboot to play a little Heroes.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Yes, certainly the reoptimization of a minority of titles from an already fairly small library, once a year, is a nightmarish prospect.

Well, one thing it is, is extra work which may not be necessary if the game is already emulated well. E.g. I've been using ZSNES since it was primarily DOS and only semi-supported in Windows 98, and in that time I've seen it grow from a cool tool with decent compatibility and features, to an emulator that will play nearly everything out there flawlessly... But there are some games that I've been able to play perfectly since the first build I downloaded, ten years ago. My experience as a user wouldn't be much changed going from ZSNES for DOS version 0.whatever to the modern ZSNES on those games, and when time is money I wouldn't want them to waste either.

Of course for games where there are known emulation problems, I would hope that they would try repackaging with the new DOSBox to see if it would fix it. Which GOG games have issues like that, by the way?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Momonari kun posted:

Silly question, but can the Dosbox games be used on OS X or are they put into one package that can't be seperated? I don't want to have to reboot to play a little Heroes.

Well everything comes as an installer in EXE form, but once extracted they're arranged such that you would theoretically be able to transplant them into an OSX DOSBox installation with minimal difficulty.

On the subject of version 0.73, however, it seems to be completely missing its config file. :psyduck: I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY AUTOEXEC

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 29, 2009

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
If you're on windows, the config file for 0.73 is in C:\documents and settings\yourusername\local settings\application data\dosbox\. There's also a shortcut to it in the start menu, "edit configuration".

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Yep, already done this and it's good. Also nice to have wide-screen support.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Got my stickers yesterday, I'll stick some up in public places and take some shots of it. Should be cool.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

dumont posted:

Like all emulators, DOSBOX has an overhead, you'll need a much, much better computer to play than the original game required.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
MegaRace 3 is out for $5.99, TOCA Race Driver 3 has left the building, and the OPs all updated.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dudley posted:

Like all emulators, DOSBOX has an overhead, you'll need a much, much better computer to play than the original game required.

And when you do have a sturdy computer, it's important to remember the control that adjusts how fast DOSBOX's emulated CPU runs. Some games need faster, some need slower, and if you get it all borked then your games will run like poo poo one way or another.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Charles Martel posted:

MegaRace 3 is out for $5.99, TOCA Race Driver 3 has left the building, and the OPs all updated.

Which, I'm soooooo glad I decided to pick up TOCA Race Driver 3. I'd grabbed FlatOut and it was fun, but I figured what the hell, who knows I might just like TOCA and for $5 it doesn't hurt to try it out.

It's awesome. Now that I've unlocked the first two open wheel series (J-1000 and Formula Ford) I've just been racing those cars over and over. Those little open wheel racers are just so much goddamn fun.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So I picked up Sacrifice and Giants: Citizen Kabuto in the last few days and I've realised one thing: the GOG downloader is compete poo poo and keeps restarting the downloads, its only really a problem when I'm stuck in my parents house with a bad connection, but they'd really want to sort those kinds of bugs out.

Otherwise I love this service and I hope to keep supporting these guys, Jagged Alliance 2 might be my next game, I've been itching for a turn based game recently and theres been no sight of Syndicate :( That said though, the X-Com games are on Steam but with the ammount of Steam games I have already, I don't really want to have to rely on them that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jagged Alliance 2 on Steam has some serious bugs which I think do not exist in the GOG version.