Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Last summer I started on a rebuild of my great grandfathers' motorcycle. A lot of private issues later and I finally took a weekend off to tinker. Friday was miscellaneous work, saturday was fooling with the carbs, stopping leaks, more miscellaneous. Yesterday was "oh gently caress, my starter is smoking" day, and subsequent electrical tomfoolery. As of tonight, after finagling a working set of coils, it started. It cranks with the starter, but it prefers the old kick-start ways of getting running.

I forgot to re-adjust the throttle cables and on first kick it shot up to about 7k before I could cut the key off. Considering that the engine in it now hasn't run in at least 4 years. Also, it's loving filthy and came from a barn. I wish I had taped that first kick just to see all the rat nests fly out of the exhaust.

Video coming in a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxVn1Mcs0X0

Wandering Idiot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I finally put the clear coat on my gas tank and it was gorgeous.

Then I came back a half hour later and a bug had landed in it :mad:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

I put that 08 KLR I wrecked last year back together enough to run around a bit and after resetting the pilot screw and shimming & drilling the carb slide it power wheelies in first.
Yes!

Next mod selected.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Wandering Idiot posted:

Last summer I started on a rebuild of my great grandfathers' motorcycle. A lot of private issues later and I finally took a weekend off to tinker. Friday was miscellaneous work, saturday was fooling with the carbs, stopping leaks, more miscellaneous. Yesterday was "oh gently caress, my starter is smoking" day, and subsequent electrical tomfoolery. As of tonight, after finagling a working set of coils, it started. It cranks with the starter, but it prefers the old kick-start ways of getting running.

I forgot to re-adjust the throttle cables and on first kick it shot up to about 7k before I could cut the key off. Considering that the engine in it now hasn't run in at least 4 years. Also, it's loving filthy and came from a barn. I wish I had taped that first kick just to see all the rat nests fly out of the exhaust.

Video coming in a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxVn1Mcs0X0

That thing is sweet. I want to find an old kickstarted sub 400cc bike for cruising around town on.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phy posted:

Next mod selected.
It's pretty drat easy.
If you have an aftermarket exhaust it'll take 2 #4 flat washers to shim the needle, 1 with the stock. The slide hole gets drilled to 7/64", The pilot screw gets turned 2 to 2 1/4 times with an aftermarket exhaust and 1.75 to 2 for the stock one.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41112

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I picked up and installed a used seat for my 77 Honda. It's in much better condition than my original seat.

Next step, install grab bar.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Put the Garmin Navi 255 on my Kawasaki Police 1000:

I'm a little late on this but I was wondering what mount you used? I got a free nuvi 270 in the deals thread a while back that I would love to slap on my Zephyr

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

That thing is sweet. I want to find an old kickstarted sub 400cc bike for cruising around town on.

I plan on riding the dogshit out of it everywhere but the interstate. If it shows reliability through June, I'm going to take it about 1000 miles over July 4th weekend to visit some family.

My last two bikes were 70s with burned out starters so I've grown accustom to using the kick, and a preference. This was also the easiest bike I've ever worked on, absolutely the least complicated rebuild outside of a push mower. Plus it was a great excuse to plow through a case of PBR.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Pubic Lair posted:

I'm a little late on this but I was wondering what mount you used? I got a free nuvi 270 in the deals thread a while back that I would love to slap on my Zephyr

get a ram mount

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

It's pretty drat easy.
If you have an aftermarket exhaust it'll take 2 #4 flat washers to shim the needle, 1 with the stock. The slide hole gets drilled to 7/64", The pilot screw gets turned 2 to 2 1/4 times with an aftermarket exhaust and 1.75 to 2 for the stock one.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41112
Hmm. That's the 22-cent mod, yes? I know that one's been around for years and probably close to adequately tested, and .net can be a good site for technical information, but after reading the admin's defense of HHO generators in this thread, complete with accusations of detractors being under the thumb of the Big Three, I may have to start taking whatever this guy says with a grain of salt.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phy posted:

but after reading the admin's defense of HHO generators in this thread, complete with accusations of detractors being under the thumb of the Big Three, I may have to start taking whatever this guy says with a grain of salt.

Its a hard call. My experience with classic bikes is that often the most brilliant carb tuning guys are also the most crazy. I think its the carb cleaner.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm new here. I should behave.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 27, 2009

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pubic Lair posted:

I actually went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025LD3GA/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Looked better than a ram mount. Here's more pictures:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't think it looks better than a RAM mount but certainly cheaper and will do the job well.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
plus you when people ask what that is on your handle bar you don't get to say RAM BALLS

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Ola posted:

Don't think it looks better than a RAM mount but certainly cheaper and will do the job well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to Hell with all those balls and other crap to wiggle loose. The GPS snaps in tight and it has a nice range of movement. (shrug)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Helped an old guy in a Caddy with a flat tire today. Even ran across a busy street lugging his flat spare tire to fill up with air. Hoping that he won't hit me in the future while I'm riding :frogc00l:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phy posted:

Hmm. That's the 22-cent mod, yes? I know that one's been around for years and probably close to adequately tested, and .net can be a good site for technical information, but after reading the admin's defense of HHO generators in this thread, complete with accusations of detractors being under the thumb of the Big Three, I may have to start taking whatever this guy says with a grain of salt.
Yea, that's a hosed up thread, but the 22 cent mod at least gave my KLR more power, I could sometimes get the front tire up by accelerating up to about 3 or 4K rpm, letting off to compress the front suspension then giving it full throttle. My first ride after the mod all I had to do was give it full throttle in 1st and the tire would come up about 6".

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Crayvex posted:

I actually went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025LD3GA/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Looked better than a ram mount. Here's more pictures:

Excellent, I had priced ram mounts but was looking for something cheaper and this fits the bill perfectly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to Hell with all those balls and other crap to wiggle loose. The GPS snaps in tight and it has a nice range of movement. (shrug)

It looked like it couldn't move that much, but if it can that's excellent. RAM mounts are rock solid, you can lift the bike by them. But they are a tad too costly, good there's alternatives.

Today I replaced a bad vacuum hose. I had replaced the original one which worked fine but looked dry, the new one was too big and leaked, starving my carbs of fuel and leaking air into #2. The thick size meant there wasn't room for a clamp either. Anyway, I went into an auto parts store and got a stupidly expensive blue RACING SPEC 3 PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY hose which fit perfectly snug. I also tried the Colortune see-through spark plug again, didn't work. My plug did look beautifully tanned anyway.

I'm getting to the point...I do all bike work at my mom's house as I live in the city and don't have space for it. She was worried about me always wrenching on the bike and hearing about bikers getting killed on the news. As I started up I said "listen to how wonderful it idles now!" and pulled away. But as I went on down the road, it stumbled noticably and seemed to lack some power. gently caress must've screwed up the new hose. Took a quick glance down on the engine like all retards do, expecting to see some simple solution dangling in the wind clearly visible from the riding position.

Well I could. I forgot to replace the #1 spark plug cap when trying the Colortune. :kiddo: All things considered, it purrs and runs pretty well on 3 pots. 4 is like OMG smooth and powerful without vacuum leaks, I really recommend using all cylinders.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Today i went to fit my +3 rear sprocket, only to discover (after cutting my old chain and taking off my wheel) that they sent me a stock 44 tooth. hopefully the also cocked up the chain size or else its going to be too long for this sprocket.
I'm loving furious as I emailed, called and faxed them this order (as it wasnt a stock sprocket and wasn't listed on the website) and they still hosed it up.
if you're in the uk or ireland don't use B&C express for anything, they're retards.

edit: horay the chain is way too long, now i can either cut it and make do with stock gearing for another season, or i can be bikeless for the holiday weekend, and probably all next week while i wait for the right sprocket to be delivered.
man i'm totally pissed off right now.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 30, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced my air filter with a new Emgo:

Honda OE filter medium is black, right? :downs:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure it is, mine looks just like that. :downsgun:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh for gently caress's sake. Other than the bike running poorly, how are you to know when it's dirty? ("Replace after every X miles" is not the answer I'm looking for.)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got it back from the shop yesterday and immediately took 'er out for a spin. Was heading to check out a store in another city, but missed my turn and ended up at some subdivision right near the Lake. So I parked the bike, walked down to the water to see what's what, took a picture of the Pickering Nuclear Plant, and then decided it would be a smart idea to head back into town, as the promised "scattered showers" definitely looked like they were coming fast & furious. Made it into the parking garage by the restaurant I was meeting some friends at, totally missed the rain, and rode back high & dry after dinner.

Here be the Plant (lousy cell pic)

Went out again today to look for said store, got there at it was shut down, so I headed back. The predicted "scattered showers" dropped a couple of drops on me just before I pulled into some strip mall to grab some well-timed lunch. Ate lunch while watching it rain, came out after it was done, wiped down the seat, and headed back into town in the sun.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Other than the bike running poorly, how are you to know when it's dirty? ("Replace after every X miles" is not the answer I'm looking for.)

When the filter element turns black :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*fills air filter with feces, puts it in a box, mails it to Canada*

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY I finally got the KLR idling correctly! After futzing with the carburetor off and on for a few months, I got fed up and ordered a new pilot jet, needle, spring, O-ring and washer from Bike Bandit. They arrived, I pulled off the carburetor, took out the idle mixture screw, and saw that there's no jet in there, just a little hole in the aluminum. Hmmmm.

Befuddled, I dug out an exploded diagram of the carb and realized that the idle jet I bought actually is the one inside the carb, not there with the needle like I has assumed it would be. The needle doesn't meter fuel, it meters air. You adjust the mixture by adjusting the air- therefore in is rich and out is lean. Backwards. Odd. Well, odd to me, since this is the first bike carb I've messed with. Not that it matters, since the old O-ring has somehow vanished. I have no idea where it went. I reinstalled the needle, spring, washer and new O-ring, set it to two turns out, and the bike runs perfectly.

I am however consoled by the fact that my diagnosis of the idle problem- rich mixture- was correct all along, it's just that I kept enriching it rather than leaning it out the whole time since I assumed I was adjusting fuel, like on every single other carb I've ever messed with. That and the missing O-ring throwing off the settings so the "2 turns out" rule of thumb didn't work either.

All right in time to pull it back apart and check/adjust the valve lash.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went on a ride with some guys from a Norwegian bike forum today, about 140 miles.

Scraped my foot peg wooooop so proud!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Got :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: geared up, and rode down to the lake and local R/C airplane park and hung out for a while. Two up on a 250, epitome of :c00lbert:

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I killed my lover!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

As you can see I pulled tank, seat (both to gain access to the motor), the instrument panel (for repair), and the side panels and battery (so no one else pulls them).

During the week I'm planing on doing valves, replacing the oil in the engine, forks and transmission, lubing the chain, reupholstering the seat, repack the front bearing, repairing the smashed instrument panel, and repairing/replacing the sending unit in the tank. I also want to clean the piss out out of the motor so I can figure out where it's leaking oil and stop it from doing so.

So the first of what will probably be many questions is: how do I keep the bike stable so I can pull the forks off? I have it up on the center stand right now (which is a god drat two man job in itself), but all the weight rests on the front tire. If I toss a few cinder blocks in my luggage will that be enough to shift the weight onto the rear, and if so, will that be stable enough for me to get nasty with the front forks?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

On my bike, removing the front wheel is enough weight shift for the bike to tip over on the rear. You can just prop it up with some wood blocks under the bike in front of the stand, or ratchet strap the rear to something heavy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Popped the clutch in first on the husky. First five or so times it just kicked, second five times it came up a few inches and rode it out, third time was like wooooaaah! Then I got the back end to slide out making a u-turn in the lot. Then I quit while I was ahead.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Every time a hooligan is born, an :angel: gets its wings.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put 3/4 of a liter of oil into it. Over the course of the next week or so I get to test if it's a burner only in the upper reaches of the rev range or if it's everywhere.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Phy posted:

Yeah I am also interested in how well this mod works. Retarded Pimp, did you notice any difference in mileage after completing the mod? I guess that is my main concern, I don't want to lose a great deal of mileage.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

Phy posted:

It does work, it richens the mixture up a bit by pulling the needle out of the jet. It's not a huge difference, certainly not like it's made out to be, but it's there, on mine at least. Carbed engines tend to be set a bit lean due to emissions regulations. I didn't notice a measurable impact on mileage, but it is a little happier with regular fuel than it used to be.

I honestly wouldn't bother unless you're having spark knock issues, but it's real. I did that, drilled the slide and turned the pilot out to 2 turns.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've only had out that once, it still needs a radiator, fan and left side peg bracket on, so I have no idea how it affects the mpg. However, it does have more umph with a quicker throttle response.
For the investment of a #4 washer or two, it's worth it since it's so simple to do. Mine has a Jardine muffler and I backed the screw out 2.5 turns, so it probably breathes a hair better than stock.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

Well, I adjusted the valves and doohickey today. I only had one out of spec, and luckily enough I was able to get a shim the right size from my local guy. Problem is he spent about five minutes rooting around in a box, and when he did find a used shim in there he charged me $13 for it. Guess it's time to just order a shim kit online.

Oh well, it's reassembled and running, so no matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

EvilDonald posted:

Well, I adjusted the valves and doohickey today. I only had one out of spec, and luckily enough I was able to get a shim the right size from my local guy. Problem is he spent about five minutes rooting around in a box, and when he did find a used shim in there he charged me $13 for it. Guess it's time to just order a shim kit online.

Oh well, it's reassembled and running, so no matter.

What kind of shape was your doohickey in? I changed mine at 7k and it looked like new yet.