Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Does anyone have direct downloads to episodes 7 and 8 of Spiral Labrynth? The torrents are pretty weak at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
http://www.lolipower.org/

Rommelous
Jun 28, 2008

FA-BU-LOUS

Chris Knight posted:

http://www.lolipower.org/

I had to do a double take when that url was posted in this thread, to be honest.

If any of the DDLs are down, as well, I can probably find them/upload them. Did you want the h264 version or the XviD?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's not the most above-the-board domain name I agree, but they have what he wants.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to this series, after hearing multiple recommendations and seeing this thread. But it's already 5 seconds into the first episode and i'm already... uh, bewildered.

What the hell is that supposed to say? It sure as hell doesn't say "Legend of the Galactic Heroes".
It looks vaguely German, but it can't be, because i ain't watching something called "Flock sagas from cosmic island". :colbert:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I finally got around to this series, after hearing multiple recommendations and seeing this thread. But it's already 5 seconds into the first episode and i'm already... uh, bewildered.

What the hell is that supposed to say? It sure as hell doesn't say "Legend of the Galactic Heroes".
It looks vaguely German, but it can't be, because i ain't watching something called "Flock sagas from cosmic island". :colbert:

That's an l. Heldensagen Vom Kosmosinsef

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Thanks, Crhis Knight. That helped out a lot.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
It's not that big a deal anyway. Sometimes (probably a lot of the time) the show will put out some awkward German, just like it uses awkward English now and then. In one or two incidents involving Reuntal it uses awkward (practically incomprehensible really) French, interestingly. Is Reuntal a Frenchman? I sure hope so.

It's a Japanese show. Trust the subtitles, and don't worry about the European languages. It's cute enough that they tried.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I got nothing more to add to the thread except for that I was watching the old Hokuto no Ken tv show, and guess who voices Rei? That lanky machiavellian gently caress, Oberstein!
It was almost as when I found out who voiced Shredder on TMNT.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Ach, disregard.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Ragg posted:

Ach, disregard.

Excellent avatar+thread combo.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

CA is slowly making DVD rips* which do look slightly better, but the originals are fine, especially considering the source.

*In glorious 29.97 fps :(

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

This is from ages ago, but note that this sort of thing happened even in their LD rips, so it's not like there's a tradeoff in terms of quality here. The first couple episodes looked too bad for me to really deal with, but even with incompetent DVD encoding those versions were better. By the time I ran out of DVD versions they were tolerable, leading to the following: I just finished the series a few hours ago. It owns.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is from ages ago, but note that this sort of thing happened even in their LD rips, so it's not like there's a tradeoff in terms of quality here. The first couple episodes looked too bad for me to really deal with, but even with incompetent DVD encoding those versions were better. By the time I ran out of DVD versions they were tolerable, leading to the following: I just finished the series a few hours ago. It owns.
It was just my usual raging against CA's encoders. Before it was them putting h.264 in avi, and now not bothering to IVTC their DVD rips. It's still an overall vastly superior version to their original versions.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Incidentally, having just finished start to end in the span of 20 days, it's interesting to go and look back at the thread when people were being forced to watch piecemeal with no indication of when the next episode was coming. For example:

eXXon posted:

Well, since I can't help myself, I've watched up to ep 70. Don't read the spoilers if you haven't.

So Yang's crew take over Iserlohn by Bagdash hacking the gibson and preventing Thor's Hammer from firing at their own fleet. Seriously, this is bullshit. So far the series has avoided appearing contrived, but this practically screams 'lazy writing'.

I'm not quoting this because I expect a response to a five year old (give or take) post or anything, but it's hilarious what a difference watching the show all at once makes. As they fled Iserlohn, Yang laid a trap, which is mentioned later to Julian but whispered so the audience can't hear. This was just finally letting us in on the secret after like 20 episodes.

This, as it happens, is exactly why despite starting the download process for the series back with this thread in 2004 I only started it three weeks ago (well, in part). Of course, waiting for them to finish releasing turned into waiting until I felt I had enough time to watch a 110 episode series which was just waiting and waiting and... let's just say it's nice to finally be done rather than waiting to start.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

That'd be it. This show, in the process of blowing my mind, blew out the section dedicated to vocabulary. :downs:

Also, for those who saw it: Did I interpret one of the last episodes correctly, in that Oberstein set up the bombing of the home Reinhard and the others were staying in himself with the Terraists while he left the meeting? Had he been conspiring with them all along? It seems to line up with the narrator's comments ["was he making a grand self-sacrifice or was it bad planning" or something] and the comment made by the Terraist who said "The one you should be pointing the gun at is...", plus "I did this totally on purpose, but to lure them here so we could kill them" seemed to be him making a really, really hard to believe cover story for the attack - luring them to the house seemed extremely, pointlessly dangerous for those inside; it seems like he should've leaked a different location to lure them away while the Kaiserin and the others escaped. Then again, he had a reputation for making hard to understand plans, I guess.

He wasn't doing it all doing it all along, he just did it. He went to where he could contact the Earth Church, baited them by saying something along the lines of "Reinhard is going to attack and destroy the Earth when he gets well. But I know how you can get him, because I want him dead also, you can try to get in and attack the place and bomb THIS ROOM and you'll kill the Kaiser and everyone."

The issue for the Terraists is that they apparently never thought that Oberstein would be pulling such a bluff personally. He convinced them to basically throw themselves onto the sword of the guards/ the Iserlohn group (coincidentally) by convincing them they could actually manage to do it. Instead, they bombed a room on the opposite side of the complex that Oberstein was in to trick them. As such, Oberstein died in the place of the Kaiser, or more specifically, in place of the Kaiserin/ Alec. He lured them in since they all knew the Kaiser was there, and knew they could trust Oberstein if they believed he was out to kill the Kaiser (after all, a lot of people dumbly think Oberstein is out for his own good), so attacking a well-armed complex, thinking it not so well armed, wasn't a bad idea. And it was likely on the opposite end of the complex as well.

The question is, did he plan to die all along, or did he gently caress up and get caught in the blast? Obviously he manipulated Deviller to kill off all of the Earth Church, but the question is did he plan to kill himself as well?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd like to think he intended to die, because can you imagine a Reinhard-less administration with Oberstein still in such a high position? The very thought of that would send chills down the spines of the remaining Admirals, and would almost certainly lead to internal strife on some level sooner or later. Given that the war with the FPA is over for good at the moment, and the Terraists would be wiped out after this final plan, Oberstein might think there was no longer an immediate need for his Machiavellian methods and at the very least the Imperial court would be more stable without him in the Reinhard-less future.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zorak posted:

He wasn't doing it all doing it all along, he just did it. He went to where he could contact the Earth Church, baited them by saying something along the lines of "Reinhard is going to attack and destroy the Earth when he gets well. But I know how you can get him, because I want him dead also, you can try to get in and attack the place and bomb THIS ROOM and you'll kill the Kaiser and everyone."

The issue for the Terraists is that they apparently never thought that Oberstein would be pulling such a bluff personally. He convinced them to basically throw themselves onto the sword of the guards/ the Iserlohn group (coincidentally) by convincing them they could actually manage to do it. Instead, they bombed a room on the opposite side of the complex that Oberstein was in to trick them. As such, Oberstein died in the place of the Kaiser, or more specifically, in place of the Kaiserin/ Alec. He lured them in since they all knew the Kaiser was there, and knew they could trust Oberstein if they believed he was out to kill the Kaiser (after all, a lot of people dumbly think Oberstein is out for his own good), so attacking a well-armed complex, thinking it not so well armed, wasn't a bad idea. And it was likely on the opposite end of the complex as well.

The question is, did he plan to die all along, or did he gently caress up and get caught in the blast? Obviously he manipulated Deviller to kill off all of the Earth Church, but the question is did he plan to kill himself as well?

Haha, I didn't even notice you posted this here, thanks Zorak. :)

God that makes so much sense it hurts, plus it makes sense with the narrator comments and the Terraist comments. And like I said in the TVIV thread, my opinion of Oberstein is totally turned around, so much that I honestly want to devote another two weeks to rewatching the show from a different perspective, where I'd actually be paying more attention to him rather than thinking "why doesn't someone take this guy out already?". I don't think I could handle watching Yang and Reuental die again though. :( I think as far as Oberstein is concerned the whole "nuking tons of civillians against the wishes of the kaiser kind of set me off of him, then all the suspicion of him and Lang... but now I totally understand his side of things - he just operated, like it's been said, in his own way and unlike those around him, and was that much more dedicated to the success of the empire, without as much consideration for the costs.

In regards to the game, the entire time I was watching LoGH I thought "I would give my right arm for a PC game of this" and of course, because god hates me and wishes me to suffer, it exists, it looks gorgeous, and it's in a language I don't understand (and it's the kind of game that would be seriously hampered by that). :(

And something else - what was your opinion of Julian Minci? I liked him, and thought he was a decent candidate for head of the fleet, though I was kind of hoping for Merkatz to get it, but I can see why people would oppose that.

God this was a fantastic show. Like I said in TVIV, I think this just ruined me for everything else.

e. This series also drew me in emotionally more than anything I've ever seen. Again, like I said in TVIV, seeing Mittermeyer's reaction to Reuental's death was absolutely heartbreaking, as was seeing Frederica's reactions to Yang's death, and... and... :smith:

e. Oh, the game did get mentioned. Sorry! :sweatdrop:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 26, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Code Jockey posted:

And something else - what was your opinion of Julian Minci? I liked him, and thought he was a decent candidate for head of the fleet, though I was kind of hoping for Merkatz to get it, but I can see why people would oppose that.
I like Julian just fine. He doesn't quite have the presence of Yang or some of the other main characters, but his actual role in the story is very interesting; more often than not, it's hard to kill off a main character like Yang so relatively "early" in the story (as in there were still 28 episodes left) because so much of the story is driven through their perspective. But with keeping in mind that the whole theme of the show has been "history in the making", it makes sense that someone had to be there to be the one to chronicle it. Julian was that one-eyed guy from 300. Depressingly enough, they even foreshadow this with the third season ending.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nate RFB posted:

I like Julian just fine. He doesn't quite have the presence of Yang or some of the other main characters, but his actual role in the story is very interesting; more often than not, it's hard to kill off a main character like Yang so relatively "early" in the story (as in there were still 28 episodes left) because so much of the story is driven through their perspective. But with keeping in mind that the whole theme of the show has been "history in the making", it makes sense that someone had to be there to be the one to chronicle it. Julian was that one-eyed guy from 300. Depressingly enough, they even foreshadow this with the third season ending.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I was really wary of how the story would turn out sans Yang, and especially what would happen in the Empire as a result, but I liked the outcome overall.

Also I'm an idiot, I posted this in the TVIV thread instead of here:

quote:

Also, in case anyone's interested, I've put in a request to see if we can get LoGH patches made here. If anyone has good screengrabs of the various FPA badges it'd be much appreciated. The Empire didn't really have any logos/badges/patches of any kind, right?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh man, how come no one told me they finally finished ep. 14 of Spiral Labyrinth? Time to dive back in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You mean 13 and 14! :dance:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well yeah, I assumed 13 was implicit.

GoY
Jan 2, 2004
Spucking Fammer
I've just finished watching through the series, and wow- I am stunned. Out of all the anime series I've watched, this is probably my favourite.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
SO I am on episode 70-something, watching the show whenever I have time and I was doing very good avoiding all the spoilers, however Code Jockeysomeone in the recommend an anime thread gave a pretty huge spoiler about Yang's fate. This has kind of made me lose a bit of interest, and it was my fault for browsing over the spoiler in the first place. My question is - was this the big twist at the end of the series or should I continue to watch it?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Kweh posted:

SO I am on episode 70-something, watching the show whenever I have time and I was doing very good avoiding all the spoilers, however Code Jockeysomeone in the recommend an anime thread gave a pretty huge spoiler about Yang's fate. This has kind of made me lose a bit of interest, and it was my fault for browsing over the spoiler in the first place. My question is - was this the big twist at the end of the series or should I continue to watch it?

It's not going to go down like you think, that's all I'll say. Keep watching.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kweh posted:

Crap, I'm sorry. :(

It's completely worth watching, though. Even if you know WHAT happens, a great part of the show is watching the aftermath. And there are still a few big twists and events left.

aparman... apartment... that guy above me is right, things don't go as you'd expect. Not at all.

e. I do feel for you though

DON'T MOUSE OVER THIS, IT'S ANOTHER BIG ONE
VVVVVVVVVVV
I made the mistake of reading the TVIV thread, specifically near the end of it, and I caught a glimpse of "I'm not surprised the empire won" by accident. Yeah, that sucked, though after a while I think it's pretty obvious who's going to come out ahead

;)

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 2, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Code Jockey posted:

DON'T MOUSE OVER THIS, IT'S ANOTHER BIG ONE
VVVVVVVVVVV
I made the mistake of reading the TVIV thread, specifically near the end of it, and I caught a glimpse of "I'm not surprised the empire won" by accident. Yeah, that sucked, though after a while I think it's pretty obvious who's going to come out ahead

;)

I would say, in hindsight at least, it's pretty obvious after the Alliance's massive invasion is smashed that, even with Yang, they really don't have the resources to do any better than a losing war of attrition afterward.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I would say, in hindsight at least, it's pretty obvious after the Alliance's massive invasion is smashed that, even with Yang, they really don't have the resources to do any better than a losing war of attrition afterward.

That's true, though a small part of me was thinking the Terraists might pull something big, big enough to take Reinhard out of the picture or remove a strategic planet or something. But you're right, short of something REALLY massive having occured, the Alliance didn't have much hope, except for an appeal to Reinhard on a personal level, after Yang died.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, it wasn't all that inevitable- if Yang had just a bit less moral fiber... he could have taken Reinhard out after he got the surrender order that one time- or heck, more generally he could have taken over as dictator at any number of points and set the Alliance on the right path, militarily at least. I'm sure he had the popular support.

Of course, if he had just a bit less moral fiber he wouldn't really be Yang at all.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Just finished episode 12 and about all I can say so far is FFFFFFFUUU-

I don't know why I'm so enthralled by LoGH so far, so much of it so far is just talking heads, Empire drama, Alliance politics rough animation and stilted dialogue in places...and I just don't care.

I loving love this series!!

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Eiba posted:

Well, it wasn't all that inevitable- if Yang had just a bit less moral fiber... he could have taken Reinhard out after he got the surrender order that one time- or heck, more generally he could have taken over as dictator at any number of points and set the Alliance on the right path, militarily at least. I'm sure he had the popular support.

Of course, if he had just a bit less moral fiber he wouldn't really be Yang at all.

I wouldn't call it "moral fibre" so much as principles, but yeah. Firing on Reinhard / becoming dictator could be argued as morally right actions, since they would definitely dramatically improve the lives of citizens in the FPA at least - and if Yang leveraged his rule over the FPA into a campaign to unite humanity (ahahah Yang would NEVER do this) he would certainly make a better philosopher-king over all Mankind than Reinhard did (sorry Reinhard! Love you anyway). Yang is rightfully concerned about the precedents this would set though, not to mention the lives it would cost.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
It doesn't really bother me, but why dont any of these planets ever orbit around a sun? They are always in the same position with one another.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aliginge posted:

Just finished episode 12 and about all I can say so far is FFFFFFFUUU-

I don't know why I'm so enthralled by LoGH so far, so much of it so far is just talking heads, Empire drama, Alliance politics rough animation and stilted dialogue in places...and I just don't care.

I loving love this series!!

Episode 12 and you feel like this.

You just wait. You haven't seen drama or politics yet.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kweh posted:

It doesn't really bother me, but why dont any of these planets ever orbit around a sun? They are always in the same position with one another.

Uhhhh what? They're all in different solar systems? They just don't talk about the other planets/ non-inhabited systems since they don't matter?

I think you just don't get how a galaxy works I guess :geno:

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Zorak posted:

Uhhhh what? They're all in different solar systems? They just don't talk about the other planets/ non-inhabited systems since they don't matter?

I think you just don't get how a galaxy works I guess :geno:

Wait, how far apart are these planets? Are we talking like from earth to mars, or galaxy to galaxy? I don't remember them ever explaining the actual distance between the planets :(

E: Although as I said that I do seem to remember them constantly referring to the _____ -system v:shobon:v

Kweh fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 13, 2009

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kweh posted:

Wait, how far apart are these planets? Are we talking like from earth to mars, or galaxy to galaxy? I don't remember them ever explaining the actual distance between the planets :(

E: Although as I said that I do seem to remember them constantly referring to the _____ -system v:shobon:v

They mentioned lightspeed travel atleast, FTL even, and how it would take days to get across the entire map. If you don't know what the word galaxy implies and at what scale in distance, then you may want to hit the books for a bit.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Two arms of the galaxy with The Empire on Orion and the FPA on Sagittarius. To put it in a bit of prospective it'd be about 3000 light years from the solar system to Sagittarius and closest star system is 11 light years away.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Guyver posted:

Two arms of the galaxy with The Empire on Orion and the FPA on Sagittarius. To put it in a bit of prospective it'd be about 3000 light years from the solar system to Sagittarius and closest star system is 11 light years away.

^ That.

What do you think the "divide" where the Iserlohn corridor/ Phezan are? That's the interstellar regions between the two spiral arms.

FTL in LOGH involves "star to star" gravity well hopping, which is why they have to use the "corridor" paths to travel between the two spiral arms.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 13, 2009

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ah ok, thanks everyone. Gimme a break, I'm pretty dumb and this show throws a lot at me.. For some reason I just didnt pick up the distance between the stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zorak posted:

FTL in LOGH involves "star to star" gravity well hopping, which is why they have to use the "corridor" paths to travel between the two spiral arms.

Okay, this makes a lot of sense. I guess I never paid too close attention to just how they were moving around, considering everything else that was going on.