Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ToastyPotato posted:

Even better is talking about 6 weeks of harsh fishing for the Northwestern, and then immediately cutting to the CM captain talking about the 2 weeks of fishing they did?

The Northwestern does other fishing before crab fishing, so it's possible they've been out fishing longer than the rest of the fleet. A season or so ago it showed them cod fishing just prior to crab season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
^^^ I didn't really think about that.

Gazaar posted:

One thing that was weird was when the CM went in to unload they showed one of their unloads from earlier in the season when they had no mohawks it completely threw me off.

Yeah and during the crab count it said they needed one more trip to make quota even though it was supposedly the end of the season.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
This water droplet thing on Timewarp is pretty loving cool.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

Gazaar posted:

One thing that was weird was when the CM went in to unload they showed one of their unloads from earlier in the season when they had no mohawks it completely threw me off.

haha, i didn't even notice that. I never remember Deadliest Catch being this poorly produced. What is the point of all this, its not like there was that much excitement anyway even with it being placed out of order. Must have been an extremely boring year or they editors are just really really lazy

also found this on another site

quote:

INTERVIEWER: Well, okay. See, there's a specific reason for asking that question, Sig, because in the very latest episode, Discovery Channel played up big in the weeks beforehand that Keith Colburn made a call from the Wizard, and he was addressing you, because he needed some help with bait. And it was shown, or represented on the show, that the Northwestern was somewhere within the area, but that you did not respond to his call. I mean, when you watch it on television, it seems as though you heard the call, but you didn't respond to it. So, that's why I ask about creative editing.

SIG: Oh, yeah. I Tivoed it and I watched it the next day, and that one kind of struck me a little, because number one, you know, I'm sure Keith called me; obviously, they've got him on tape doing it. But if I was in the area or not, I don't know at that point in time. So, whether or not I ... you know, I know I didn't answer him, because I never talked to him about it. You know what I mean? So, yeah, it kind of looked like I just ditched him. But I don't remember ever getting a call from the guy, so.... And that's the thing: you know, you've got 70, 80 boats out there. Keith made it sound like, "There's one guy I can call out there." Well, I don't know about that. There's lots of boats. So he could have called multiple ... he could have called many boats, really. I don't know why he did that.

For what it's worth, on HIS website, Keith said he didn't even remember HAVING a bait problem until people started flooding him with questions about it.

MrDingleDangle fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 28, 2009

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
well Kari's getting pretty big now :monocle:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
On Pitchmen, Billy was having trouble cleaning scum off a shower door with some new cleaning product, and Sully was trying to school him on using rags to polish things.

Someone from off screen: "Maybe you should use a ShamWow"

*dramatic music plays*

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Splendiferous posted:

They seem to hide it pretty well.

The shamwow shout out struck a nerve with Billy, that was pretty hilarious. TF2 characters be creepin in on his crappy products

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Just caught the first episode of Expedition Africa on the History Chanel, it's from Mark Burnett of Survivor fame. It starts this Sunday and the premiere is on their onDemand channel currently. Pretty good so far, more or less an African version of the Alaskan Experiment. They're travelling 900+ miles in a month. They're semi-professional adventurers and have a lot of porters tagging along. Not sure if they're going to forage for any food or not, as they stocked up on some food before heading out. They do have to collect their own water though.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ToastyPotato posted:

Even better is talking about 6 weeks of harsh fishing for the Northwestern, and then immediately cutting to the CM captain talking about the 2 weeks of fishing they did?

Some seasons run concurrently. During one opilio season, the major processor ship caught fire near the beginning of the season so the boats switched to fishing for bairdi crab until the processor was running again.

Speakeasy
Jul 30, 2004
Spank me if I post

Smeed posted:

Is that her baby daddy?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Speakeasy posted:

Is that her baby daddy?

No, her husband is a tatted-up, younger artist type.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

cadmium posted:

I noticed we didn't get a preview for next week, so I assume it will be there last. They also said in the beginning that it was going to be over 4 weeks (so we can assume between 4 and 5), which is about where they are at. Also, they are building it up to a breaking point, which makes it all the sweeter when they get out.

So I'm guessing the next leg is the trek out.

I'm going to miss my Asian Kitchen Maiden. The groups hit a social equilibrium, even if their calorie deficit is just getting wider and wider. The only thing that could go really sideways at this point is the one guy blowing his back out. I'd bet Cadmium is right, hopefully we'll get a recap episode with Les Stroud.

I wonder if we'll get a third season?

Teek posted:

Just caught the first episode of Expedition Africa on the History Chanel...

I'll have to setup the DVR, this is worth a spin.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

saw an commercial on TV that the next episode is the season finale on Alaskan Adventure, however its not this Tuesday because the Man Vs. Wild with Will Ferrell takes its place after Deadliest Catch...so I am not sure when it is.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Splendiferous posted:

Yeah...I wonder when she's due (and when this was filmed).

Also, I wanted to see the picture of the mangled hand. :( drat you Discovery! :argh:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I just want to throw out my love for Adam's chicken hand. It's not getting enough love. They need to use that analogue again in the future.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
The gun in question is a S&W 460, and, if you would like...
:nms: http://media.photobucket.com/image/sw%20460%20thumb%20damage/kaizerandkitty/Thumb6.jpg :nms:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teek posted:

I just want to throw out my love for Adam's chicken hand. It's not getting enough love. They need to use that analogue again in the future.

I doubt it correctly replicates ligament strength. :colbert:

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma

ToastyPotato posted:

I doubt it correctly replicates ligament strength. :colbert:

Or even the strength of the skin. I didn't like those hands one bit.

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma
I just watched a mini-marathon of One Way Out, which I didn't catch when it first aired earlier in the year. I really like it. When I initially heard the premise, I was intrigued by the "escape artist" aspect of the show, so when I actually watched the show and discovered that the escape mechanics comprised about 2% of the content, I was kind of disappointed. Quickly, however, I was won over by the 15% portion of Junkyard Wars-type contraption building and the remaining bulk of Jackassish hijinks. Everyone was very likable too, all-around a pretty good show.

MonsterMunch
Jan 19, 2009
I used to really like Deadliest Catch but then the fisheries changed it from a free-for-all to catching your allocation, just not as much of a competion between the ships.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Scarecrow411 posted:

The gun in question is a S&W 460, and, if you would like...
:nms: http://media.photobucket.com/image/sw%20460%20thumb%20damage/kaizerandkitty/Thumb6.jpg :nms:

That's not as bad as I was expecting, based on how they were freaking out over "we can't show you this :nms:"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MonsterMunch posted:

I used to really like Deadliest Catch but then the fisheries changed it from a free-for-all to catching your allocation, just not as much of a competion between the ships.
Yeah. The show hyped up how the Time Bandit had an amazing season, and then they had like half the final count of any of the other boats (including the Cornelia Marie, which had a lovely season).

I know this is due to the quota system, but it makes the final "scoreboard" kind of meaningless. I have a feeling the producers would have axed the crab count board if it wasn't sponsored.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm not a big DC fan, I've just seen the odd episode or 5 here and there, but it's very apparent that there's nearly no consistency even within Rowe's own narration, even in the very same episode. The scoreboards are utterly meaningless.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The previews made Opie season starting Tuesday sound very exciting. Especially happy to see Phil come back and have him yelling at his kids again.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The previews made Opie season starting Tuesday sound very exciting. Especially happy to see Phil come back and have him yelling at his kids again.

as long as they fix the narration so it makes sense,,,the laziness of the production is whats killing me

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MrDingleDangle posted:

as long as they fix the narration so it makes sense,,,the laziness of the production is whats killing me

I don't see them fixing it. It's been like that the entire run of the series.

I think that the earnings per crew member is what should be the ultimate deciding factor in ranking the ships. $52k or whatever the C.M. guys got is pretty amazing when you consider it's around $20k more than some of the other ships.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Opie season is always better because the weather is so much worse.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also the ice pack!

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

Only on the deadliest catch will the final shot be of someone on top of pots be hit by water and they basically say...TUNE IN NEXT WEEK to find out if that guy is still alive!

also i like the Northwestern leads the crab count, yet they haven't pulled a pot on the show yet.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I miss the Maverick.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MrDingleDangle posted:

Only on the deadliest catch will the final shot be of someone on top of pots be hit by water and they basically say...TUNE IN NEXT WEEK to find out if that guy is still alive!

also i like the Northwestern leads the crab count, yet they haven't pulled a pot on the show yet.

I also like how they're playing up the drama card on the Cornelia Marie, what with their "lackluster" ~$2.5 million season, then following that up with the repair job and sibling rivalry part deux.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
I have to wonder why these ship owners don't have a massive inspection of their ship during the off season and NOT just as the season starts, ESPECIALLY the Cornelia Marie. I think Phil has spent a quarter mil on repairs since this show started, and that's just what was shown on camera.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Fire Storm posted:

I have to wonder why these ship owners don't have a massive inspection of their ship during the off season and NOT just as the season starts, ESPECIALLY the Cornelia Marie. I think Phil has spent a quarter mil on repairs since this show started, and that's just what was shown on camera.

Yeah they always seem to show up in Dutch Harbor like a day before they have to leave port. The editing doesn't do these dudes justice but drat guys try messing with your boats even a week earlier.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Having actually owned large boats (commercial fishing and offshore oil service boats), you run those inspections when are able to get the people out to do them. You have to have a welder (or two), an electrician and a drat good diesel engine mechanic to get those things going. Typically they are done some time right before the Coast Guard is due to arrive to do their own inspection and grant your boat its certificate.

Because the show's editing is so choppy, there is no telling when these inspections are actually going on relative to Coast Guard inspection or the opening of the season.

However, my experience with this stuff is from Gulf shrimping seasons in several states and the offshore oil business off the coast of Alabama. Which is a far cry from the Bering Sea, but the practice and toil of getting the boat ready for USCG inspections are the same anywhere you go.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

It was also kind of random how they just said, oh and Murray is leaving, without any other explanation.

strange that they have total episodes if some people might not come back, but now two favorites, Lenny and Murray leave and they barely mention either

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
More ShamWow references on Pitchmen :smug:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Fire Storm posted:

I miss the Maverick.

I miss the Maverick with Rick and Donna. I do not miss the Maverick with Blake.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

BlueArmyMan posted:

I miss the Maverick with Rick and Donna. I do not miss the Maverick with Blake.

Very true.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Nice to see timewarp is now just stealing ideas from the myth busters.

Also one of these days Billy is going to be in the news for killing some one with a shamwow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Darth Freddy posted:

Nice to see timewarp is now just stealing ideas from the myth busters.

I really want to like Timewarp, but a lot of what they do seems to be stuff I've already seen on Mythbusters. And after the truck on the rocket sled from earlier this season, I can't think of anything cooler to see in high speed.

And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but was this past week Buster's first appearance of the season? I missed the guy.

• Locked thread