Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Yossarko posted:

I'd really like a small (invisible) app that reproduces the Mac OS X way of taking screenshots. Three shortcut keys, one to capture the screen, one to capture a window and another to capture a region (cropping). Either Mac-style CTRL+SHIFT+1/2/3 or (the preferred) PRNT-SCRN, ALT+PRNT-SCRN and CTRL+PRINT-SCRN.
Try Screenshot Captor. It's got a low memory footprint and does a bang-up job of handing different types of screenshots, plus you can set up different hotkeys for different types of screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Awesome, thanks a lot. Very configurable.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I have a need for an application that will take a copy/pasted in text input, and output it backwards in such a way it can be copy/pasted.

example:

Input> This is a line of text!

Output> !txet fo enil a si sihT

Input will never exceed 250 characters. In my mind I see a just a window with 2 text boxes, input on top, output on bottom. 3 buttons, one for REVERSIFY, another for Copy, and Quit.

Target OS is Windows XP, has .NET installed (unsure of the version)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Is there any reason why it has to be a desktop application? Because, https://www.textreverse.com

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Swink posted:

Also - High five for soundswitch!

I thought I'd make a note for Soundswitch users: If you use Windows 7, sound output switches immediately. For example, if you're in a game and switch from speakers to headphones you don't have to restart the game. Same with any app outputting sound.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Dicky B posted:

Is there any reason why it has to be a desktop application? Because, https://www.textreverse.com

Welp, thats pretty much exactly the functionality I need. I didn't even know that website existed, so i'll just plead :downs: and say thank you !

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Steakandchips posted:

Just like to say that this entire thread is very impressive.

Let me add some context here:

This is my 2nd year of work, after getting my degree. I currently work at a financial institution and basically dick around with spreadsheets all day long.

When we try automating something at work, it takes us weeks to build things. In VB. Our training in the subject ranges from non-existent to attended some beginners classes for automating spreadsheets.

You guys are coding custom solutions from _scratch_ in MINUTES!

Access to this sort of programming skill (read: being able to request something to be built for us) within the organization requires weeks worth of sign offs, compliance and costing.

I really hope you're all making tons of money in your day jobs, you guys deserve it!

Its really just getting your hands dirty. Don't wait for your job to give it to you. This thread is a great place for cutting your teeth on simple projects that are enough to give you experience with the code and tools.

Seriously, .NET makes things so drat easy, it should be a crime sometimes. And if you've learned Java, the learning curve is basically starting VS (Express editions are free) and starting typing for Intellisense.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 14, 2013

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I'm looking for an app to do batch-converts of audio files from stereo to mono. I'm deaf in one ear and can't listen to stereo music with headphones, as I end up missing half the song.

Audacity has a batch-processing function but it's flaky as hell and loves to fail out the entire batch when one file doesn't work right.

It would be awesome if the app could do large batches sequentially, preserving directory structure and filenames.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1243549714

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fatman1683 posted:

I'm looking for an app to do batch-converts of audio files from stereo to mono.

Have you tried dbPowerAmp Music Converter? It has batch processing, and I can't recall having had it choke up on an odd file.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I don't know if this can be done simply with a macro or if it needs a custom app but this seems the best place to post this.

I'm teaching and would like a piece of software to use the template

3rd/4th bellwork template

Use a macro or a piece of software to read words from a text file or database (either is fine) and have it come out like

3rd/4th bellwork example

I also have a 2nd style which looks like this. Instead of the translated words on the right there is a conversation.

5th/6th grade bellwork example

Rusty_
Jan 7, 2007

Talk Nerdy To Me!

Dicky B posted:

Dont ruin my fun :(

MREBoy posted:

I have a need for an application that will take a copy/pasted in text input, and output it backwards in such a way it can be copy/pasted.

have you closed the request? i made it without checking first (first attempt at appz for goons)

can get it uploaded if you still want it, if not i shall look elsewhere for things to keep me occupied untill my degree results come in :D

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Have you tried dbPowerAmp Music Converter? It has batch processing, and I can't recall having had it choke up on an odd file.

It also doesn't appear to have a stereo-to-mono conversion feature. It has quite an impressive list of DSP effects that it can apply, if you buy the fancy version, but I don't see any mention of a stereo-to-mono feature. Thanks for mentioning it, though, I can use it for some other stuff.

edit: Unless the 'channel count' effect can do that, but I'm not sure if it actually merges channels or just deletes them when you want to remove a channel.

vvvv Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 29, 2009

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fatman1683 posted:

edit: Unless the 'channel count' effect can do that, but I'm not sure if it actually merges channels or just deletes them when you want to remove a channel.

That's it. Setting the channels to "1 'mono'" merges the channels.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Rusty_ posted:

Dont ruin my fun :(

have you closed the request? i made it without checking first (first attempt at appz for goons)

can get it uploaded if you still want it, if not i shall look elsewhere for things to keep me occupied untill my degree results come in :D

And to think, if you were on a Unix system you could do this in one line! :twisted:

Mad Brahmin
Dec 29, 2004

Mensur posted:

I shoot photos in raw and jpg simalaniously. The images share the same name before the dot but have different extensions, i.e. when I press the shutter I get IMG_847.JPG and IMG_847.CR2 on my card.

When I put the files on my PC I usually browse through the raws and delete what I don't like. It's not uncommon for this to be several hundred images per day. It would be nice to have a program that could look at the files in the directory and see that if IMG_847.CR2 does not exist that IMG_847.JPG should be deleted.

For future proofing the ability to configure the extensions would be nice. Also displaying a list of files to be deleted with a confirmation box would be handy too if it's not too much trouble.

e: I guess I should specify windows vista / 7

See if you can get this to run. It should be under .Net 3.5. You might want to play around with it for a bit to see if it does what you want it to do.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/RemoveUnpairedFiles

deylen
Mar 17, 2009

Mensur posted:

I shoot photos in raw and jpg simalaniously. The images share the same name before the dot but have different extensions, i.e. when I press the shutter I get IMG_847.JPG and IMG_847.CR2 on my card.

When I put the files on my PC I usually browse through the raws and delete what I don't like. It's not uncommon for this to be several hundred images per day. It would be nice to have a program that could look at the files in the directory and see that if IMG_847.CR2 does not exist that IMG_847.JPG should be deleted.

For future proofing the ability to configure the extensions would be nice. Also displaying a list of files to be deleted with a confirmation box would be handy too if it's not too much trouble.

e: I guess I should specify windows vista / 7

Done: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ImgDelete

It seems to work fine in windows XP but if it doesn't work in vista let me know :)

Edit: Dammit beaten :D

Rusty_
Jan 7, 2007

Talk Nerdy To Me!

Avenging Dentist posted:

And to think, if you were on a Unix system you could do this in one line! :twisted:

also pretty sure there is a unicode character that makes applications write RtoL but non of these methods meet the high standards of my awesome program

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1243604692

I'm looking for a tiny app that will sync the clock to an NTP server then close itself.

Plan on having it run on boot on my windows machines because the current method I'm using doesn't always work.

Doesn't need any fancy dialog boxes for confimation or anything, maybe just a text or ini file that has a list of NTP servers if you really wanna get complex, otherwise just using pool.ntp.org should be fine! :)

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

metaxus posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1243604692

I'm looking for a tiny app that will sync the clock to an NTP server then close itself.

Plan on having it run on boot on my windows machines because the current method I'm using doesn't always work.

Doesn't need any fancy dialog boxes for confimation or anything, maybe just a text or ini file that has a list of NTP servers if you really wanna get complex, otherwise just using pool.ntp.org should be fine! :)

A quick google turns up Automachron which appears to do what you are looking for.

http://software.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=670735

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Avenging Dentist posted:

Or on a Win7 machine which has PowerShell. I'm not real familiar with PS, but I can't imagine it not being able to do this.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Mensur posted:

You can download powershell for vista and I think xp too.

That's correct, it's one of the optional updates under Microsoft Update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mensur posted:

You can download powershell for vista and I think xp too.

True. I was just referring to the OS that has it "out-of-the-box" like unix-y type systems.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Rusty_ posted:

can get it uploaded if you still want it

Sorry about the delayed reply - Sure, I would like a copy of this. There will be the ever so infrequent days when the Internet will not be accessible, so being able to keep doing what i'm doing locally would be a help.

Thanks for writing it BTW

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Failing to find a Window application to suit my needs in the Windows thread, I come to you - groveling.

As my laptop doesn't have an actual numpad (Numpad?) (for inserting Unicode characters), I have to use the improvised one; unfortunately, the pseudo-numpad on Thinkpads kinda suck. To access it, I have to enable Num Lock, which, to me, is like using Caps Lock for typing capital letters.

On my previous laptops, you could hold down the Fn key and use the Numpad afterwards; think of it as what Shift is to Caps Lock:

Caps Lock : Shift :: Num Lock : Fn.

I still want to retain the other features of my Fn button, but I also want it to act as my Num Lock-Shift counterpart.

Any way to do it? I assume it mainly requires a key remapping workaround.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've asked this question before but I didn't really get an answer...

How do I get started doing this type of programming? What programming languages are most of you using, and what is this .NET business? Teach a man to fish, etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

How do I get started doing this type of programming? What programming languages are most of you using, and what is this .NET business? Teach a man to fish, etc.

If you're just going to mainly be programming little automation stuff, I highly recommend AutoIT.

I also extensively use python (use version 2.6.2), which has extensive documentation, is highly recommended for beginners, and is very powerful. This is a great book/tutorial for learning. Stop by the python megathread if you have any questions.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thermopyle posted:

If you're just going to mainly be programming little automation stuff, I highly recommend AutoIT.

I also extensively use python (use version 2.6.2), which has extensive documentation, is highly recommended for beginners, and is very powerful. This is a great book/tutorial for learning. Stop by the python megathread if you have any questions.

Thanks, I'll check out Python! I should assume that most learning schemes eventually get around to Windows executables/programs with nifty GUIs and I shouldn't jump too quickly to those sections, right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Python! I should assume that most learning schemes eventually get around to Windows executables/programs with nifty GUIs and I shouldn't jump too quickly to those sections, right?

Right. Windows UI's have little to do with learning to program and just muddle up the learning experience.

When I started out, I was miffed about this...now I find that I hardly ever write a GUI for anything.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

w

usually fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 19, 2011

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

BrianBoitano posted:

My current favorite way of learning programming is using Visual Studio and modifying something that I found on http://www.codeproject.com/ to suit my needs. It's much easier to start off with an example program and make it do what you want then to write it from scratch - you can also do this with open source code.

Switching languages is really easy once you've learned a few - learn C++, assembler and perl and everything else will look easy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Veritron posted:

My current favorite way of learning programming is using Visual Studio and modifying something that I found on http://www.codeproject.com/ to suit my needs. It's much easier to start off with an example program and make it do what you want then to write it from scratch - you can also do this with open source code.

Switching languages is really easy once you've learned a few - learn C++, assembler and perl and everything else will look easy.

I know some like to do this, but personally I can't stand it, and have found that it leads to poor practices in some. I always just find it much easier to write what I want from scratch.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Veritron posted:

What a terrible idea. At the very least, choose code that's not already crap to start with (Codeproject's stuff is almost universally terrible). And if you can't tell which stuff is crap and which is good, then you need to program more on your own until you have the experience to discern the two.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Having no knowledge in coding I don't know if this would be simple to make, but I'd like to have a program that would tell me exactly how much data I downloaded/uploaded. My ISP makes me pay for everything after I reach a 30 Gb limit and only offers a very horrible way to see if I'm close to the limit.

So can anyone offer a program that would tell me exactly how much bandwidth I have spent so far during the month so I don't go over every other month?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

So can anyone offer a program that would tell me exactly how much bandwidth I have spent so far during the month so I don't go over every other month?

Put DD-WRT on your router.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

There's also http://www.dumeter.com/

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a question about SoundSwitch, posted earlier in the thread. It's a great app, but is it possible to have to it actually go through the list of connected audio devices instead of just toggling between two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Manky posted:

I have a question about SoundSwitch, posted earlier in the thread. It's a great app, but is it possible to have to it actually go through the list of connected audio devices instead of just toggling between two?

Sure. I've had a couple of requests for other features. I'll add this to the list. Maybe I'll get around to implementing them this weekend.

• Locked thread