Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Also, does anyone have any experience with Jerusalem Artichokes? I just ordered some.

Not done them myself, but I do know that the tubers can take over and be invasive. It is one of those things they say to give it's own private bed. I plan to grow some eventually, to use as a potato substitute, since it doesn't raise blood sugar the same way. Room is an issue for me, so I need to wait until I am inclined to clean up one of my weedy old flowerbeds to use. Look forward to seeing your progress with them.

Anyone from the GWS thread want to tell me if it is farfetched to envision sunchoke latkes? The prospect might motivate me to make a spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Tequila Mockingbird posted:

I am so, so jealous of you people with long growing seasons. I started a container garden setup this weekend. I'm growing cucumbers, lettuce mix, kohlrabi (bf's favourite) and tomatoes. I've also been issued a warning, if I come home with any more plants I'm gonna have to move out.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one getting that warning. My boyfriend just gets this look of despair on his face every time I tell him I'm walking over to Lowes "Just to look this time! I swear!"

Came home with two pepper plants and some pole bean seeds the other day. :D

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Harvested my first eggplant! :neckbeard: I made it into a delicious eggplant marinara and ate it over spaghetti squash.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Spring is driving me nuts! They have been threatening heavy rain for 3 days now with nothing. Everything is dried up but I don't want to water and then have it pour and get waterlogged.

At any rate:

Zucchini

Tomato

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

HeatherChandler posted:

Mystery hot pepper

Bell pepper

I am growing banana peppers and the plants/blooms look almost identical.

Does anyone know what it means if the leaves get twisted/curled? Mine are doing this. Also, they have lots of blooms, then the blooms fall off and leave a tiny little stem/string type thing hanging there, then I assume the pepper should start growing there. Mine are doing that but they seem to be disappearing at that point.

I try peppers every year (bell peppers usually) and have never had one single pepper even begin to grow, while I have success with zucchini, squash, tomatoes, etc.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I've never really planted or grown anything before. Last Saturday I decided to change that. I'm growing beefsteak tomatoes, red and yellow bells, hot banana peppers, cayennes, and jalapenos from seedlings (I guess that's what they are called.)

I also planted chives, curled parsley, oregano, and basil from seeds.

I'm in an apartment so I DIY'd some hanging baskets for the tomatoes and planted some of the peppers on top. Below are the pictures of my stuff. So far everything seems to be going ok, except the seeds haven't started sprouting yet, but it's only been 3 days.

http://rm-rf.me/pics/thumbs/lrg-1552-9743100.jpg
http://rm-rf.me/pics/thumbs/lrg-1553-9743187.jpg
http://rm-rf.me/pics/thumbs/lrg-1554-9743258.jpg

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

LTBS posted:

I've never really planted or grown anything before. Last Saturday I decided to change that. I'm growing beefsteak tomatoes, red and yellow bells, hot banana peppers, cayennes, and jalapenos from seedlings (I guess that's what they are called.)

I also planted chives, curled parsley, oregano, and basil from seeds.

I'm in an apartment so I DIY'd some hanging baskets for the tomatoes and planted some of the peppers on top. Below are the pictures of my stuff. So far everything seems to be going ok, except the seeds haven't started sprouting yet, but it's only been 3 days.

http://rm-rf.me/pics/thumbs/lrg-1552-9743100.jpg
http://rm-rf.me/pics/thumbs/lrg-1553-9743187.jpg
http://rm-rf.me/pics/thumbs/lrg-1554-9743258.jpg

It's a little late to be starting from seeds, not everything will get full size. Still, it shouldn't be a shutout.

Also, those hanging tomato planters look a little on the small side. You'll probably need to water those every day.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

SKeefe posted:

I am growing banana peppers and the plants/blooms look almost identical.

Does anyone know what it means if the leaves get twisted/curled? Mine are doing this. Also, they have lots of blooms, then the blooms fall off and leave a tiny little stem/string type thing hanging there, then I assume the pepper should start growing there. Mine are doing that but they seem to be disappearing at that point.

I try peppers every year (bell peppers usually) and have never had one single pepper even begin to grow, while I have success with zucchini, squash, tomatoes, etc.

Sounds like blossoms are dropping? sustained temperatures above 95, below 65, too much nitrogen, or lack of pollinators can cause that, and I think too much water. I'd say it wasn't pollinators if squash is fruiting. That is about all I can think of. Too much nitrogen can also cause some twisting of the leaves, what do you fertilize with? It'd be easier to tell with a picture.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
All the rain in Ontario today has put at least 3 inches on most of my plants.

Broccoli is already 2 feet tall!

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Harvested several kohlrabi today and yesterday, serrano, bells and jalepenos all have fruits growing. Most of the tomato plants are getting loaded with fruit as well. The corn is getting close to waist high. I'm 6' 6" as a reference. I heard "knee high by the fourth of july" was a good place to be so I guess I'm doing ok there.

One problem has reared it's head with a several tomato plants though. They started wilting out of nowhere, one was one of my biggest and healthiest plant. I looked all over for bugs and found nothing. I finally got down on my hands and knees and looked at the base of the plant and noticed there was a whitish discoloration and a whole main "branch" of the stem was sunken and shriveled in that area. I pulled the plant and broke apart the stem and found no obvious parasites. Hopefully it doesn't spread because it murdered the affected plants before I really even noticed it was happening.

Oh yeah, I noticed one of my broccoli plants finally has a head forming, thought it would never happen.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Is there any point in me starting some habanero seed with a frost date of around November 1st here in NC? I've never grown hot peppers and ordered some on a lark the other day, I have the ability to start indoors, etc, I just didn't know if that was insufficient time to get a good yield of the fiery little bastards.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know about starting habaneros now... They are c. chinense and need a long growing season. You could always grow them in a container and take them inside for the final month since you said indoors was an option. If nothing else, it never hurts to try.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Finally got to harvest a few strawberries! It appears some animals are eating a few of them, though. Found at least 6 that were already eaten while I was picking. Guess I have to get a plastic owl and cover them with some mesh. Annoying but the strawberries are oh-so-tasty.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's pretty much what I figured. I think I'll hold off to next year, just stick with getting my tomatoes and such to work.

Any secrets to getting tomatoes to actually vine on a rope trellis? My cucumbers and beans are off like gangbusters but the tomatoes are just kind of shrubbing at about 2' tall, even with pruning.

Sorry for any simple questions, first year and all.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

^^Tomatoes don't vine in the same way that beans and cukes do. They won't ever hold on and climb by themselves, the trellis is really just a way to get the plants off the ground. You have to kind of push and weave the leaves in so that the plant stands up. Is that what you meant?

kid sinister posted:

Also, those hanging tomato planters look a little on the small side. You'll probably need to water those every day.

To add to this, did I read right that there are pepper plants in the top? Even with watering every day I'd be worried about the plants becoming rootbound. For one fullsize tomato plant typically 5-8+ gallons is what is recommended, for a dwarf or small determinate plant 3 gallons. A pepper plant can do fine in a smaller pot but will get around 2 feet tall or taller and need more sun than they can get if they are growing close to the awning.

I am sure you will make it work, just be aware.

ChaoticSeven:
I'm sure you've probably already googled the hell out of it, but here is a good guide of tomato problems.
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/diagnostickeys/TomKey.html

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 29, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

mischief posted:

Any secrets to getting tomatoes to actually vine on a rope trellis? My cucumbers and beans are off like gangbusters but the tomatoes are just kind of shrubbing at about 2' tall, even with pruning.

Sorry for any simple questions, first year and all.

-They might be a bush variety of tomatoes instead of a vine one
-Tomatoes don't really get that tall. They don't climb like creepers.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

-They might be a bush variety of tomatoes instead of a vine one
-Tomatoes don't really get that tall. They don't climb like creepers.

Do cherry tomatos do this? I planted some along my gardens small fence for this exact reason, hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

kid sinister posted:

It's a little late to be starting from seeds, not everything will get full size. Still, it shouldn't be a shutout.

Everything is growing pretty well. Those pictures are from the day I planted them. I have been watering every day and they seem to be getting plenty of sunlight. They have started to curl up towards the sun.

Should I think about moving the pepper plants into their own planters? I don't have a problem doing this, I was just putting them in the top to save some space.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Do cherry tomatos do this? I planted some along my gardens small fence for this exact reason, hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

Cherry tomatoes can be either a bush or a vine. Depends on the variety. If it is a vine, or indeterminate, it will likely be as big as a normal tomato plant.

I do have to disagree about tomatoes getting tall--I've had them go to about 6 ft before I top them a month before frost and have seen others get taller in a longer season. They just won't ever creep up on their own.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

MarshallX posted:

Tomatoes will benefit from being near a fence, but they won’t climb it automatically. You will have to tie the stems as they grow, or if it is something like chicken wire you could weave the growing stems back and forth through the wire. I’ve done this in the past and it was great when they were growing, great when harvesting, but it was kind of a bitch ripping the vines off the fence in the fall.

LTBS posted:

Everything is growing pretty well. Those pictures are from the day I planted them. I have been watering every day and they seem to be getting plenty of sunlight. They have started to curl up towards the sun.

Should I think about moving the pepper plants into their own planters? I don't have a problem doing this, I was just putting them in the top to save some space.

Are the peppers in the same planters as the tomatoes? If so, that would be a good idea before they get established in their new home. As kid sinister said, those hanging baskets are on the small side, and especially once the tomatoes get bigger, on a sunny, hot, windy day they will dry out amazingly fast. The pictures earlier in the thread had them growing in 5 gallon pails. If you find them drying out fast you could try putting in a water bottle with a pin prick hole and then it will leak out over the course of a few hours.

Like kid said, it is kind of late to start a lot of herbs from seed, but the chives and oregano are perennials, so you might not get a lot this year, but take care of them and they will do you well for a long time. Parsley is a biennial, so it will be there next year too before it goes to seed. The basil will grow pretty fast once it gets going, but the seeds are tiny so keep it well watered.

Even though your garden isn’t huge, nothing connects you better to the natural world than eating something that came from your own hands, and unless everything goes wrong, you will experience that, you will see what works and do more of it and see what doesn’t and read up on it and try something else next time.

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008
Our cute little commune garden is chugging along just fine. :) Here are some pictures:

Strawberries:

Beans:

Peppers (we have 40 baby peppers so far):

Cukes:

Tomatoes: (horrible picture... sorry; we have 119 tiny tomatoes so far):

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

madlilnerd posted:

And forget eating dandelions- go for nettles instead! The young tips can be cooked just like spinach. Of course, they're also an excellent indicator of good soil quality too.
I've always been fascinated by the idea of consuming nettle - as food or for health/allergy-related benefits.. But I really have no clue about them, although they do grow wild in my area I was wondering about the feasibility or cultivating some? I've always had terrible allergies and wanted to try nettle tea, and at worst scenario it'd grow out of hand and keep the homeless people from trying to get in my backyard to root through the trash.. ;)

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I had to look up microgreens too. I’ve never heard of it before until now, but was reading about them. Are they really 30% protein? That’s amazing! I’m going to try it out. Do you eat them straight or add them to stuff?
They must be trendy - I'd never heard of them before a couple months ago, but now there are a half-dozen kinds at the grocery store across from my apartment.. They're really very tasty and I never even considered how easy it would be to have a tray of them growing at any time of the year.. I'm particularly fond of the nutty flavor of sunflower micros, but you've got to pull the seed husks off some of the leaves so their a bit more annoying to harvest. :D

madlilnerd posted:

I think we need a subforum called Goons in Communes were we can talk about gardening and tie dye and running your car off chip fat.
gently caress I'd be all about that - I've been wanting to build an outdoor Earth Oven. ;)

Marchegiana posted:

My mom used to use cocoa shell mulch around my swingset when I was a kid; it's soft enough for bare feet and makes your walkway smell like chocolate when it's fresh. The downside is that it can be hard to find, and is a good deal more expensive than ordinary hardwood mulch.
It is also not entirely safe around pets and very small children, or anything that's not bright enough to not eat something because it smells like chocolate.. I saw a news story recently about a bunch of lawsuits from people whose dogs had eaten themselves to death on choco-mulch.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 29, 2009

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

HeatherChandler posted:

Sounds like blossoms are dropping? sustained temperatures above 95, below 65, too much nitrogen, or lack of pollinators can cause that, and I think too much water. I'd say it wasn't pollinators if squash is fruiting. That is about all I can think of. Too much nitrogen can also cause some twisting of the leaves, what do you fertilize with? It'd be easier to tell with a picture.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

SKeefe posted:

It does look like pictures I've seen that were attributed to too much nitrogen, but I really can't tell you for sure. It does look more like environmental stress than disease. That could be any number of things.

Are you growing right in the lawn without prep? Is that working for other things? I'm so traditional other than a few containers I wouldn't dare try to get away with not digging and tilling and digging some more. If it works, that is neat.

--

I hand pollinated that female zucchini flower today. I am so immature, it made me giggle a little.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

HeatherChandler posted:

It does look like pictures I've seen that were attributed to too much nitrogen, but I really can't tell you for sure. It does look more like environmental stress than disease. That could be any number of things.
I didn't fertilize them, if that provides any info.

quote:

Are you growing right in the lawn without prep? Is that working for other things? I'm so traditional other than a few containers I wouldn't dare try to get away with not digging and tilling and digging some more. If it works, that is neat.
No, they are actually planted in a tilled garden with rows, but we have been getting thunderstorms everyday for about 3 weeks now and the grass/weeds have gotten out of control. I took this picture right before I finally went through and got the grass and weed out.

quote:

I hand pollinated that female zucchini flower today. I am so immature, it made me giggle a little.
I did the same with a couple of squash the other day!

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Haven't updated in a while and things are happening, so. Excessive amounts of pictures.

First head of brocolli

Swiss Chard

First serrano pepper

First jalepeno pepper

First and second bell pepper

Lettuce

Corn

Cucumbers

Kohlrabi

Purple Hull Peas

Zucchini and squash. Had to replant these 4 times. First time, transplants died. The second and third birds and squirrels ate all the seeds. The fourth time I put like 8 to 10 seeds in each hill and managed to get at least one plant established in most of the hills.

First squash

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

ChaoticSeven posted:

pictures

Looks great. How do you water it?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Haven't updated in a while and things are happening, so. Excessive amounts of pictures.
Awesome garden, makes me sad I'm stuck in containers for a while.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

landis posted:

Awesome garden, makes me sad I'm stuck in containers for a while.

Containers happen. I'v got nice little garden, but it's completely inappropriate for vegetables. My containers are doing alright though! It's so nice to see how much lettuce I have grown already, and my cucumber vines are peeking above the edges of the pots :3: I hope they have enough growing time to make some tasty cukes!

This is on my dahlia leaves. What is it? Is it dirt? Are those eggs? I saw the ladybugs hanging around there, so I'm curious.

Happy Kohlrabi, they are putting up new leaves very nicely! They don't look as nice as ChaoticSeven's kohlrabi though :(

New cucumber leaves :)

This weekend it's finally been warm enough that the plants can get some good growth going. It's been below 20c all week here up until now, and from now on it should be nice and warm.

Tequila Mockingbird fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 30, 2009

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

Looks great. How do you water it?

I haven't. Excessive rainfall has kept it too wet ever since I planted it. When I do start watering I'll probably use some cheap sprinklers. I'd like to use some kind of drip system but I don't think I could afford to buy enough parts for such a relatively large plot.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

SKeefe posted:

I didn't fertilize them, if that provides any info.

No, they are actually planted in a tilled garden with rows, but we have been getting thunderstorms everyday for about 3 weeks now and the grass/weeds have gotten out of control. I took this picture right before I finally went through and got the grass and weed out.

I did the same with a couple of squash the other day!

Well, I am stumped. Nonstop rain would definitely explain blossom drop now, but not every year. I hope someone more knowledgable comes around--I am pretty versed in the usual suspects but that is it for me.

Are you going to mulch? I'd go mental weeding that. I go mental just weeding mine, and it is nothing but maple tree seedlings and mystery tiny blue flowers.

It was my first time pollinating squash and it felt pretty dirty, haha. I've always had lots of male flowers first so I was kind of baffled by the female. If it worked I'll have a jump start on being totally sick of zucchini.

ChaoticSeven: I love your excesses of pictures! How funny having peppers so advanced with zucchini just establishing. I hope you have a lot of friends and family to pawn it off on when they take off though. About irrigation: How expensive is it? I always thought the most expensive part was all the starting bits, then drip tape was cheaper. Of course, I don't really know a drat thing about it--I'd like to do it but reading tutorials makes me feel really flakey, I kind of glaze over. I think soaker hoses are more my speed.

Oh, and your swiss chard is loving gorgeous. I think I want to grow it mixed in a flowerbed.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 31, 2009

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Honestly, I don't know how much it would cost. I've seen kits for something like 100 feet that ran $100 or so. That wouldn't really cover what I've got going. It'd be nice for water savings as I'm sure it will get expensive as soon as the weather gets hot and dry, since my soil is nice and sandy and dries out a lot quicker than most. Maybe I could just rig up the tomatoes, since a lot of the central part of the garden is lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and such that will be vacant when the weather turns hot. Which it is starting to. That would leave just the cucumbers and squash in the middle, which are all close together and wouldn't require a whole lot of tape or piping or whatever it is.

Oh yeah, I'm 99% sure what killed 3 of my tomato plants was southern blight. It's a fungus and is aided by overly moist conditions (check) and mildy warm temperatures (check). Unfortunately everything on the internets says you're just hosed if it occurs and to not plant anything in that area but corn for the next two years. It can spread up to three feet through the soil and attacks just about everything but corn. I'm just hoping the dryer conditions we've finally gotten will keep it from spreading out further.

The swiss chard really does look outlandish, the colors are sort of surreal compared to the surroundings. The variety I bought was called northern lights.

Harvested some kale for the first time today, I nibbled a little (haven't tried it before) and it has a really "green" taste to it. Not sure exactly what to do with it, but I think I'll try something called Crispy Kale tomorrow. You toss the kale in olive oil and apple cider vinegar, toast it in the oven till crispy then salt it with sea salt.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
I just realized I only have one zucchini plant. Do they self pollinate?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Housesitting for my parents I figured I'd take the opportunity of temporary home ownership (that I'll never myself have) to start a garden. I'm calling it a birthday present to my mom, we'll see if she likes it

Cherry tomatoes against the wall, roma tomato, thyme, basil, oregano, eggplant, bell pepper. Tried out soaker hose for the first time to simplify watering. Not sure if I'm laying it correctly; there's almost no lateral water movement so I'm not sure if this means I need the hose placed very close to the plants.

I also have another section I want to sow seeds in but it still has the original unamended soil which is some sort of sandy clay. Water likes to pool on the top of it and just create a muddy sludge. I want to plant lettuce and carrots, any recommendations?

Also trying to plug the female end of the soaker hose but having difficulty. I have a male to male coupler and a female cap but it leaks. Anywhere I use this male to male coupler it never seals right, not sure why. Maybe just pinch the hose closed? Ideas?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dwoloz posted:

I also have another section I want to sow seeds in but it still has the original unamended soil which is some sort of sandy clay. Water likes to pool on the top of it and just create a muddy sludge. I want to plant lettuce and carrots, any recommendations?

Also trying to plug the female end of the soaker hose but having difficulty. I have a male to male coupler and a female cap but it leaks. Anywhere I use this male to male coupler it never seals right, not sure why. Maybe just pinch the hose closed? Ideas?

Water on top of the soil is usually bad for sowing seeds, as it will usually float the seeds away. The answer to this is to improve the drainage. First thing's first: which direction does the water shed? If it's a low spot, you may have to fill it in slightly to correct the grade. For a garden that close to the house, make sure the water sheds AWAY from the foundation. There are several methods to improve water penetration. This first is to simply till the soil better. Have you done that yet?

Make sure the rubber washer inside the cap is in good condition. The old "quick fix" for those is to pull out that washer and flip it over. You could try some pipe tape too.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

ChuckHead posted:

I just realized I only have one zucchini plant. Do they self pollinate?

They don't 'self-pollinate', but one plant has both male and female flowers and if there are pollinators around they will do it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

coyo7e posted:

I've always been fascinated by the idea of consuming nettle - as food or for health/allergy-related benefits.. But I really have no clue about them, although they do grow wild in my area I was wondering about the feasibility or cultivating some? I've always had terrible allergies and wanted to try nettle tea, and at worst scenario it'd grow out of hand and keep the homeless people from trying to get in my backyard to root through the trash.. ;)

Then I recommend you get the book "101 uses for Stinging Nettles"

It's a slim paperback but it's got some cool stuff in it- the leaves and roots make dye, you can make cordage from it, it's an insect repellent etc etc etc.

Nettles are very invasive. To cultivate at home I recommend confining to containers. Just go out to your nearest nettle patch, dig up some root and put it in a pot full of compost.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Can someone explain to me in dumb mans terms how a drip system works? I put in a sprinker system last year which my dog ended up eating. I was planning on hand watering this year but if a drip system can be contained within my fence (sprinklers couldn't) then it may be an option.

Do you need one drip spout for each plant??

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart

SKeefe posted:

My peppers are doing the exact same thing. We've had tons of rain, cloudy days, and too many cool nights. The past weekend when it was in the high 80s with plenty of sunshine has perked them right back up, the leaves have almost completely straightened out and there are now little baby peppers on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Argh, I went out today and the slugs had eaten through the stalk on one of my two remaining courgette plants! I hate it when they do that so much because it just means instant death for the plant!

Anyway, here is my last courgette plant with a pea plant behind it. The idea is that the nitrogen the pea provides will give the courgette a boost.

Leeks and garlic in plot 2. Plot one in the background has some tiny tomato plants in it, but I am less than hopeful of their future. It was originally going to be a pumpkin patch until they were all slaughtered at the hands of the slugs.

My last remaining pumpkin plant is looking a bit peaky. I don't think it likes being container bound, but I don't want to risk the slugs again.

Pfft. I don't know why I care. I'm going to Hawaii for 2 months in a few weeks and although my mum says she wants to keep the vegetable garden, I doubt she'll put any effort into it :(