Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Yoshifan823 posted:

My cat, who I've had now for 6 years, just in the past year or so, has started spraying.

Is he spraying (like against vertical surfaces) or peeing (squatting like he does in the litter box)? Has he been checked out by the vet for this problem since it started? Does he ever pee in the box normally, and does he poop in the box? (If not, I'd try more litter boxes, different litter, "cat attract", etc.)

The first thing to do is rule out UTI, crystals, stones, etc. If the vet doesn't find anything, I bet it's related to the cats outside. That's one of the most common reasons cats start spraying. Ideally you would get the cats to go away so they stop stressing him out, but if that's not possible, I'd talk to the vet about it. Where I work we put a lot of sprayers on amitriptyline, which is an antidepressant and so can help with stress, but also has a lot of anti-spasmodic properties in the bladder and surrounding plumbing. A lot of cat peeing problems that people consider "behavioral" are actually medical in that when some cats are stressed or upset, their body actually produces substances that are irritating to the bladder lining, and the discomfort leads to peeing everywhere.

In short, this sounds like a problem for your vet. Getting the outside cats to go away will probably help, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
What is the best way to encourage a couple of dogs to get along?

Dog 1 is my 11-year-old male terrier mix.
Dog 2 is a young female lab/mastiff mix belonging to the neighbors.
Both are fixed.

My dog is the problem. I'm not sure you would say he's dog aggressive - we introduced him to a potential new dog (lab/APBT mix) not too long ago and while he was hesitant at first, they got along great. He adores the neighbors' other small dog. He does great in Petsmart, though he finds dog parks too chaotic. He doesn't dislike any other dogs, really - as long as he's not in his own territory when they first meet.

We knew this was going to be a problem - his idiot former owners separated him from his litter at 3 weeks old, so there's a lot of stuff he didn't learn. We spent thousands of dollars trying to fix this problem; being friendly to other dogs in a neutral place is a significant improvement over the nervous wreck he used to be.

What's the best way to introduce these two dogs? The lab mix is not territorial in the least, all she wants to do is investigate my dog. When her back is turned, he wants to investigate and see what she's all about and is pretty enthusiastic, but he gets very nervous and growls aggressively when she turns her head towards him. We didn't scold him, we just put him in his crate and he calmed down and watched - and of course kept her away from the crate. Since she's not aggressive at all and isn't threatened in the least, is it fair to her to just hold her head while he figures her out, then let her loose to play once he's comfortable? Or would that cause more problems?

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
How often is it okay to feed a cat pureed pumpkin? He's 8 years old, and his stools have been really hard and dark ever since I adopted him (two months ago). He seems to get constipated once every couple weeks. He saw a vet for it the first week I adopted him, and she prescribed a laxative for a few days, but it gave him diarrhea and I don't want him on more medication if possible. I free feed Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken dry food with a 1/2tsp herring oil drizzled over top, and he also gets half a can of wet food at night. He has two water dishes, and drinks from them both regularly. Dehydration is, however, a side effect of a medication he's on (Clomicalm). Last night he was straining to poo, but could only let out the most tragic little farts. Today he'd passed some poos, but they basically look and feel like dark brown golf balls.

I was thinking of making a huge mixture of wet food and pumpkin, approximately 4 parts wet food to 1 part pumpkin. If I fed him 1/3 cup of that every night, he'd be getting 1 tbsp pumpkin every day. Is that too much? Not enough? I don't want to give him the runs or anything.

I would love to feed wet food only, but at $3 a can (and 3 cans per day, for a 15lb cat) that's more than my grocery bill.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I feed our cat a similar ratio of pumpkin : wet food and he eats it every day without any issues. Charlie is tiny, though, and only eats 1/8-1/4 of a can of k/d a day. It's just fiber. The most of your worries is that it will make his stools loose, and you can back off if that happens.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just found out today that there is an item on the City Council Agenda to approve an ordinance related to animal control in my town. The ordinance limits the number of animals to 4 dogs and 4 cats maximum. The council is also getting emails from people complaining about the limits, they want them lowered to 2 maximum!

I think it's fine to have a limit, but 2 is outrageous, and 4 is even cutting it close. Do any of you have any studies at your fingertips showing that pets do better in multiples?

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I feed our cat a similar ratio of pumpkin : wet food and he eats it every day without any issues. Charlie is tiny, though, and only eats 1/8-1/4 of a can of k/d a day. It's just fiber. The most of your worries is that it will make his stools loose, and you can back off if that happens.
Thanks for the reassurance. He's eaten a mixture of pumpkin and wet food for the past two days, and hasn't yet poo'd. I recently changed the litter from clay to pine (although, I left a 1" layer of clay on top), so I'm wondering if he could be holding it in because he doesn't like the new litter. I mean, I'd imagine he would just poo outside the box if he didn't like it, but here we are. He's been eating and drinking normally, and he did stand in the box trying to poo a few days ago with the new litter in the box. With the pumpkin and the fish oil, I feel like it should just be sliding through him!

Goddamn cat poo. :mad:

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Meow Cadet posted:

I just found out today that there is an item on the City Council Agenda to approve an ordinance related to animal control in my town. The ordinance limits the number of animals to 4 dogs and 4 cats maximum. The council is also getting emails from people complaining about the limits, they want them lowered to 2 maximum!

I think it's fine to have a limit, but 2 is outrageous, and 4 is even cutting it close. Do any of you have any studies at your fingertips showing that pets do better in multiples?

I think it's ridiculous that ordinances exist like that. How hard would it be to get a license to have more? You're suddenly going to have a lot less foster homes in the area if they already have two dogs of their own and can't accept a foster in. What if you take in a pregnant mother rescue cat and she has kittens? What would the exceptions on this rule be?

We're not allowed to have over 28 dogs or cats staying in the house in a period of a year here, and that already cuts down on my parent's fostering. The last two months of the year or so they can't take in another animal. It's just too expensive for them to get a kennel license, it'd be crazy if they could only have two or four.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

bee soup posted:

He's eaten a mixture of pumpkin and wet food for the past two days, and hasn't yet poo'd.

Does his abdomen feel hard or distended at all? I would palpate his lower abdominal area and see how it feels/what his reaction is. If there's a lot of mass or he protests more than normal "Hey stop poking my guts" level, you might want to get him to a vet. Heck, if he doesn't poop in the next few hours, I would get him to the vet. He could have an intestinal blockage or all kinds of other nastiness.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Does his abdomen feel hard or distended at all? I would palpate his lower abdominal area and see how it feels/what his reaction is. If there's a lot of mass or he protests more than normal "Hey stop poking my guts" level, you might want to get him to a vet. Heck, if he doesn't poop in the next few hours, I would get him to the vet. He could have an intestinal blockage or all kinds of other nastiness.

His abdomen was hard and looked distended on Sunday night, and I was going to take him to the vet Monday morning if he hadn't pooped by then. He was eating and drinking and didn't seem in distress, which is why I didn't take him to an e-vet. He pooped over night, though, and his belly didn't look all rounded out in the morning. I bought him pumpkin on Monday, and fed it to him Monday and Tuesday. I was at work today and hadn't read your response, but I figured that if he still hadn't pooped by the time I got home tonight, I'd at least call my vet and see if they thought he should go in. Well, I just came home to an apartment full of poo poo. Kitty exploded! In the most disgusting — yet reassuring — way.

I'm still going to be speaking to my vet, because constipation seems to be a regular (hyuk hyuk) issue with him. I think I'll keep including pumpkin in his diet. He seems tuckered out from all the pooing he did today, and is napping on my lap. :3: Thanks so much for your help!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anybody ever get 1-800-Pet Meds to price match another internet price?

I'm looking to buy some Revloution for my kitty, and 1-800-Pet Meds is cheaper then my vet. Google's price engine can find it cheaper, but from, small, shady online retailers.

EDIT:
Actually, I found a coupon for $5 off, and they are currently offering free shipping, so I'll just get it there.

for 1800PetMeds coupons:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/1800petmeds.com

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 28, 2009

Aeglowyn
Oct 6, 2005
Chief Fearsome Pirate Goon (Thankyou Zegnar)
Question for the dog people that's half rhetorical and half serious: how do you talk to other dog owners without wanting to murder them all? I've been preparing for the arrival of my new dog by talking to members of a local dog walking group and, well, the first question says it all. There's one spaniel owner who shows and is in a breeding partnership with her dog's breeders, one who adopted his dog from a shelter, and the rest all bought puppies from craigslist/gumtree/etc or 'this guy I know'. Someone paid £350 for a cockapoo. :doh:

I tried looking in the FAQ and it has a link that I guess is a thread explaining all this stuff but I don't have archives. So does anyone have any good resources laying out why people should either adopt or buy from a reputable breeder? So far I've been very light-hearted about it ('I don't think I could buy a puppy while there are so many cuties needing new homes') but it's frustrating the hell out of me. I promise I'm not going to go on a rampage, I just want to be able to help educate people.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Dr.Khron posted:

Anybody ever get 1-800-Pet Meds to price match another internet price?

I'm looking to buy some Revloution for my kitty, and 1-800-Pet Meds is cheaper then my vet. Google's price engine can find it cheaper, but from, small, shady online retailers.

EDIT:
Actually, I found a coupon for $5 off, and they are currently offering free shipping, so I'll just get it there.

for 1800PetMeds coupons:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/1800petmeds.com

I've heard that's it not worth buying from those kind of places, because they often sell expired or defunct meds. So you may want to keep that in mind.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aeglowyn posted:

Question for the dog people that's half rhetorical and half serious: how do you talk to other dog owners without wanting to murder them all? I've been preparing for the arrival of my new dog by talking to members of a local dog walking group and, well, the first question says it all. There's one spaniel owner who shows and is in a breeding partnership with her dog's breeders, one who adopted his dog from a shelter, and the rest all bought puppies from craigslist/gumtree/etc or 'this guy I know'. Someone paid £350 for a cockapoo. :doh:

I tried looking in the FAQ and it has a link that I guess is a thread explaining all this stuff but I don't have archives. So does anyone have any good resources laying out why people should either adopt or buy from a reputable breeder? So far I've been very light-hearted about it ('I don't think I could buy a puppy while there are so many cuties needing new homes') but it's frustrating the hell out of me. I promise I'm not going to go on a rampage, I just want to be able to help educate people.

This is honestly the biggest reason I'm starting to get REALLY burned out at work (dog grooming). The worst is not only that I hear stuff like that from clients, but I hear awful things from people I WORK with!! I've learned just to keep my mouth shut because work isn't the place to start on a crusade. Especially when technically, I didn't even own a dog until after working there.

I would just throw tidbits of information here & there, I do that a lot. I'm also a fan of, "Hey, I just read this on the internet..." because then even if it's "common knowledge" or something you've known for years, I think it's less offensive if it sounds like you're all learning together, you know what I mean? I'm also a fan of throwing people websites whenever I can, that seems to help, too. :)

Aeglowyn
Oct 6, 2005
Chief Fearsome Pirate Goon (Thankyou Zegnar)

WolfensteinBag posted:

I would just throw tidbits of information here & there, I do that a lot. I'm also a fan of, "Hey, I just read this on the internet..." because then even if it's "common knowledge" or something you've known for years, I think it's less offensive if it sounds like you're all learning together, you know what I mean? I'm also a fan of throwing people websites whenever I can, that seems to help, too. :)

Yeah, I get what you're saying. That's actually something I need to keep reminding myself. Next time I want to say something I'll start it with "I was watching this documentary last night and it taught me that..." Thanks for the tip.

I was hoping that someone would be able to point me to some sort of beginners' FAQ about why BYBs are a bad thing, but in the spirit of walking before I try to run I think I'll start with gently bringing up why better quality pet foods rule. Fortunately, the Nutrition FAQ is full of easy reasons to bring up and all of them are positives ("you'll need to feed less" rather than "what you're feeding now makes your dog greasy as hell").

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Would a kitten with a bowel obstruction (foreign body) still be able to pee regularly? The vet said she didn't think there was a foreign body in his sore tummy, but I'm worried. (Plus, I'm kinda hoping for it, much better than if he had FIP)

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Meow Cadet posted:

Would a kitten with a bowel obstruction (foreign body) still be able to pee regularly? The vet said she didn't think there was a foreign body in his sore tummy, but I'm worried. (Plus, I'm kinda hoping for it, much better than if he had FIP)

Assuming the cat is hydrated enough to produce urine, yes. How suddenly did your cat get sick? In most cases of FIP, the belly bloats up pretty gradually, not overnight. Sometimes it's gradual enough that the owners don't notice until it's pretty big. Either way, your vet should be able to tell pretty easily if your cat's belly is full of fluid or full of angry intestines just by feeling it (not to mention things like x-rays, ultrasound, trying to draw the fluid off, or a Rivalta test). If she can't, get a second opinion ASAP.

Hopefully it's something simple. FIP loving sucks. :(

Edit: Now I realized that you didn't mention anything about a bloated belly, just a sore one. If his tummy is just sore and not full of fluid, I wouldn't worry over FIP just yet. That could be tons of things. :)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Crooked Booty posted:

Assuming the cat is hydrated enough to produce urine, yes. How suddenly did your cat get sick? In most cases of FIP, the belly bloats up pretty gradually, not overnight. Sometimes it's gradual enough that the owners don't notice until it's pretty big. Either way, your vet should be able to tell pretty easily if your cat's belly is full of fluid or full of angry intestines just by feeling it (not to mention things like x-rays, ultrasound, trying to draw the fluid off, or a Rivalta test). If she can't, get a second opinion ASAP.

Hopefully it's something simple. FIP loving sucks. :(

Edit: Now I realized that you didn't mention anything about a bloated belly, just a sore one. If his tummy is just sore and not full of fluid, I wouldn't worry over FIP just yet. That could be tons of things. :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3142327

Well, I adopted 2 kittens Saturday afternoon, by Saturday night, I thought the little guy was a touch lethargic and not eating like he should be. But, maybe he's just a chill kitten, I don't know...

The rescue I got him from offers 30 day free vet care, so I haven't been going to my regular vet that I love. Because the little guy is alert, and has clear eyes/nose I'm not panicking, just very concerned. The vet is the one that mentioned FIP, but he had no fever, which he *should* have if he had FIP.

Just venting about my sick kitten. I hope he pulls through.

Don Of The Dead
Apr 8, 2007

I'm feelin' clean, I was only thirteen With the heavy starch, on my Bugle Boy Jeans
ig

Don Of The Dead fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 29, 2012

Little Angel
Nov 28, 2006
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered, but I didn't see it.

How good or bad are cow hooves for dogs? Should I take it away from him when he starts eating bits? I don't want my dog to have any problems, so if he shouldn't have them at all, I won't buy him any anymore.

I had never heard anything bad about them until today; I would have asked before even buying one if I had.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Don Of The Dead posted:

My running buddy somehow got a cut on her paw (on the pad of her foot) :( Its kind of deep and looks like it having trouble staying together. I called the vet and they said as long as it doesn't look infected it should be fine, but to just try to keep her off of it. How do I get my dog to stay off her paw? Obviously I wont take her running for a bit but I know she wouldn't let me wrap it up or anything.

PICTURES! Her name is Addison (Cubs fans out there?)

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.
chillin after a run

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.
Likes to cuddle up to whoever is napping.

Also should I try to put neosporin or something on it?
Not much you can do about pad cuts. Keep it clean and it will heal on its own. You can wrap it if you like. Don't let your dog decide what you can and can't do. You're in charge not the dog.

Luxury Required
Apr 22, 2008

Oh shit!
Ok, so I've had my cat Molly for about 2 years. She hates dogs. Never has liked them. The first day I got her I took her to Petsmart and just seeing a dog made her hiss.

Now, in a month or so I'm moving in with my sister. I don't have the money to get my own place and no roomies (without pets) that I could live with. The only problem is my sister has 3 dogs. She's only been around 1 of the dogs. Anyway, I want to know a way to make the transition a little easier. I'll be keeping her in my room most of the time but I don't want to keep her in a tiny room 24/7 when she's used to having a whole apartment.

Any ideas?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Luxury Required posted:

Ok, so I've had my cat Molly for about 2 years. She hates dogs. Never has liked them. The first day I got her I took her to Petsmart and just seeing a dog made her hiss.

Now, in a month or so I'm moving in with my sister. I don't have the money to get my own place and no roomies (without pets) that I could live with. The only problem is my sister has 3 dogs. She's only been around 1 of the dogs. Anyway, I want to know a way to make the transition a little easier. I'll be keeping her in my room most of the time but I don't want to keep her in a tiny room 24/7 when she's used to having a whole apartment.

Any ideas?

It's just going to take time. When you're making introductions and your cat is getting brave enough to consider leaving the bedroom, use it to your advantage that the dogs will (I hope) listen to commands. My mom's dog gets super excited about my cats, and while she doesn't intend to hurt them, and enormous dog jumping around freaking out makes things a lot worse. I've had a lot of luck getting the dog to sit or lie down and stay in one spot while the cats peek out of the bedroom and eventually creep in to check the dog out. In my experience it helps a lot to keep the dog's attention on you -- my cats both bristle up and get hissy when the dog stares them down. You may also want to make the introductions one at a time, as controlling three dogs will be more difficult. Cats need a lot of time to adjust to change. Before you let her loose with the dogs, lock the dogs up somewhere and let your cat get a feel for the apartment. She needs to know where the hiding spots are and be comfortable with the setting before dogs get thrown into the mix.

Also I would personally be more worried about whether or not the dogs want to eat your cat than how your cat will respond. Even in play, a big dog can seriously injure a cat. Unless the dogs are used to being around cats and have never acted aggressively towards one, I would personally not leave them together unsupervised for at least a couple months. I have seen cats torn to pieces by dogs they've lived with for more than 5 years. Especially in breeds with high prey drive that haven't lived with cats before, you can't predict their behavior and need to pay close attention to any clues that the dog might be seeing your cat as a game or a snack. Make sure when you start letting them out together that there are safe spots for the cat that the dogs can't go -- on a cat tree, under a couch, whatever -- in case something goes wrong.

On the other hand, if they're all small dogs, your cat will probably only be stressed until she realizes that she can kick their asses with her claws and make them go away at will. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Can I get some estimates/anecdotes from people who've dealt with ACL surgery in large breed dogs?

I've been browsing petfinder for our next adoptee, but I'm not looking really seriously right now because we still haven't moved yet. In one of the ads that I've been looking the most at, it mentioned that the dog (an 8 yr old Aussie female) has a possible ACL injury, but I haven't heard back from the rescue yet about how severe it is/whether or not it would require surgery. So I'm just looking to see what other people have paid for surgery to see if that's something that could be financially feasible for us if we adopt that dog and she needs surgery.

Are there different ranges of ACL injuries, and some will be more expensive to fix than others? Or is there a single surgery/treatment option for all ACL injuries? What did you pay for yours?

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Does anyone have any experience in preventing calluses in dogs?

Maverick has two beds but unless it's bed time she usually prefers the hard wood floors or the cold tiles. Overall if there's no way to prevent them then I'll deal but I hate seeing dogs with huge elbow calluses. As far as I know it's purely aesthetic so I'm not super concerned but the hair is already thinning there and she's barely two so I hate to think of how bad they'll be in 5 or 10 years.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

Can I get some estimates/anecdotes from people who've dealt with ACL surgery in large breed dogs?

I've been browsing petfinder for our next adoptee, but I'm not looking really seriously right now because we still haven't moved yet. In one of the ads that I've been looking the most at, it mentioned that the dog (an 8 yr old Aussie female) has a possible ACL injury, but I haven't heard back from the rescue yet about how severe it is/whether or not it would require surgery. So I'm just looking to see what other people have paid for surgery to see if that's something that could be financially feasible for us if we adopt that dog and she needs surgery.

Are there different ranges of ACL injuries, and some will be more expensive to fix than others? Or is there a single surgery/treatment option for all ACL injuries? What did you pay for yours?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

His right knee cost my cousin 5k to replace. But that was a total knee replacement. He gets to go back to get his left one done in two months. He is a six year old pure byb rottie. My cousin got him from Chris Byrd. Pore dog just didn't have it in him to do protection work. So Chris got another more aggressive dog and gave Brutis up because the two didn't get along. you can tell from the picture he is more of a lover not a biter. That face is what I get to wake up to whenever I house/dog sit when my cousin has to go out of town.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
My younger sister is looking for a female guinea pig (or possibly a neutered male) to bond with a young female she just bought. We've been trying petfinder and craigslist, but some of the listings are sketchy, and a lot are pretty drat far away. We prefer to adopt rather than buy from a pet store, but the search is getting old pretty quickly. Does anyone know of any good rescues or the like in/near Monmouth County, NJ?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Does anyone have experience with Feliway and aquariums? My older cats are not adjusting to the kittens that well, but I'm afraid that the Feliway might kill my fish. The aquarium is in the room that the cats and I are in the most.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My dog has been having the runny shits for a day and a half now. He doesn't seem sick otherwise, and it's been a few weeks since I changed his food so I don't think it's that...I got him some canned pumpkin this morning and he's eating that with his breakfast right now. How long do I keep giving it to him? Just until it's better?

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
Are cat water fountains really all they're cracked up to be? Have any of you encountered a cat that refuses to drink from one? $50 is a fair sum of money for me, so I don't want to spend it on something my cat is going to ignore, but if it's likely to help him take in more water, I'll certainly try it.

e: Specifically, can anyone vouch for the Catit small drinking fountain? I can't find the Drinkwell in local stores.

Meow Cadet posted:

Does anyone have experience with Feliway and aquariums? My older cats are not adjusting to the kittens that well, but I'm afraid that the Feliway might kill my fish. The aquarium is in the room that the cats and I are in the most.
Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in I'm sure, but I can't imagine that it would harm your fish. It just releases an analogue of the pheromones your cats release. My vet recommended it to me, and mentioned that it was safe for all other animals in the house. She didn't mention anything about fish specifically, and I'm sure if it were decidedly unsafe for fish she would have made that known.

Salacious R. Crumb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 31, 2009

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

bee soup posted:

Are cat water fountains really all they're cracked up to be? Have any of you encountered a cat that refuses to drink from one? $50 is a fair sum of money for me, so I don't want to spend it on something my cat is going to ignore, but if it's likely to help him take in more water, I'll certainly try it.

They're worth it if you have a cat that doesn't drink enough, or one that refuses to drink from a regular dish. Our cat loves his almost as much as he loves having the sink turned on for him.

r. bean
Apr 29, 2009

bee soup posted:

I have a very picky cat that won't drink out of any still dish of water and he loves the fountain. In my opinion, it gets cats to drink more.

The only thing I hate about it is that 1) I have to clean it every week and 2) I have to buy filters for it. Amazon has a good selection, and sometimes you can find big packs of the filters for cheaper than in stores.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My cat peed in the water fountain. The other cats liked it though.

r. bean
Apr 29, 2009
I have a question about leaving cats while on vacation or boarding them. We have two adult cats, they get along great and everything. We feed them two meals a day, dry in the morning, wet and dry mix at night. Now, my boyfriend and I are going on vacation for a week, and we'd feel bad asking any friends or family members to go out of their way twice a day for our cats. Plus, they are used to having their litter box scooped everyday and I'd also feel bad asking someone to do that. At least one of our cats can't be trusted with free feeding.

So, would it be terribly traumatic for them to be boarded for a week? There is a place near us that caters to cats specifically, and if you bring your cat's food they will give it to them per your instructions. I'm concerned because one of our cats was brought over from Germany and has been quarantined twice, so I'm scared this would be especially scary to him. The other is a scardy cat and hates new places/people, so I think she'd have a rough time of it too.

Is it better to look into a sitter who could stop by twice a day? Does anyone know anything about costs of these two services?

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
Most dog walking services will do the "stop in" while you're on vacation. They pick up dog poop pretty frequently so I'm sure they wouldn't mind scooping out the litter box.

Around here (Chicago suburbs) it's $11-17ish per visit, so you may want to shop around. Most of them will come to your house and visit with the pets before you go on vacation, which will give you a chance to ask all your questions and see how the sitter interacts with your cats. Some places may also do a sort of "vacation package" to soften the monetary blow of having a sitter come twice a day for a week.

Some boarding facilities have really awesome accomodations for the kitties. If you're uncertain of how happy your kitties will be, any trustworthy kennel/boarding facility should let you do a tour before you make your reservations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

r. bean posted:

I have a question about leaving cats while on vacation or boarding them. We have two adult cats, they get along great and everything. We feed them two meals a day, dry in the morning, wet and dry mix at night. Now, my boyfriend and I are going on vacation for a week, and we'd feel bad asking any friends or family members to go out of their way twice a day for our cats. Plus, they are used to having their litter box scooped everyday and I'd also feel bad asking someone to do that. At least one of our cats can't be trusted with free feeding.

So, would it be terribly traumatic for them to be boarded for a week? There is a place near us that caters to cats specifically, and if you bring your cat's food they will give it to them per your instructions. I'm concerned because one of our cats was brought over from Germany and has been quarantined twice, so I'm scared this would be especially scary to him. The other is a scardy cat and hates new places/people, so I think she'd have a rough time of it too.

Is it better to look into a sitter who could stop by twice a day? Does anyone know anything about costs of these two services?

Only you can know what's best for your cats. A week is long enough that a typical cat will settle in at a boarding facility. However, a petsitter or friend would likely be easier on them. Do you think they could manage with 1 visit a day at home?

Prices vary immensely on boarding and pet sitting rates. My vet offers 3 different sizes of kennels, ranging from $10 to $21 a night. An additional cat int the same "condo" is half price. Petsitters in the area seem to charge roughly $20 for a 30 minute visit. They also tend to offer plant watering, mail pick-up etc., sometimes for an additional charge, sometimes included.

Do you have a neighbor that can check in on them? That's usually the easiest, as their already in the neighborhood everyday. I LOVE feeding the neighbor's cat. The TV over there is always somehow better than the TV over here. :)

r. bean
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the advice! I think at this point, getting a sitter makes the most sense. The drive is pretty out of the way for our friends, and we have only lived there for 3 months, so we don't know any neighbors yet.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'm currently introducing my cat into a house with two current cats. It has been one week.

They can all be in the same room with one another and even sometimes on the same item of furniture, but the alpha cat alternates friendliness with hitting and chasing, and she is very fond of eating my cat's food. I feel bad for my kitty because he has a scratch on his nose now and last night the fighting yielded yelping, which it had not before :( I'm hoping it will get better in another week or so.

Do you think it is worth getting feliway, or are things progressing well enough that I should just let it keep working itself out?

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
Our pup gets the hiccups! At first it was just after eating, which I chalked up to a greedy puppy eating too fast, but we've noticed that sometimes he gets them inbetween meals. Usually massaging his throat to get him to swallow a few times stops the hiccups, but is there anything else I can do? Is this hurting him?

We have a vet appointment for him on Saturday, so I'll be asking about it then. In the mean time, does anyone else have experience with a hiccuping puppy? Should I get him to the vet sooner? He's about 6-7 months old.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

trigger posted:

Our pup gets the hiccups! At first it was just after eating, which I chalked up to a greedy puppy eating too fast, but we've noticed that sometimes he gets them inbetween meals. Usually massaging his throat to get him to swallow a few times stops the hiccups, but is there anything else I can do? Is this hurting him?

We have a vet appointment for him on Saturday, so I'll be asking about it then. In the mean time, does anyone else have experience with a hiccuping puppy? Should I get him to the vet sooner? He's about 6-7 months old.

I would mention it to the vet next time you go in, but I don't think it is anything that requires its own visit ahead of the one you already have scheduled. If he were hiccuping without stopping for an extended period of time - say several days without them subsiding at any point, I would be running to the vets just in case, but just getting hiccups a lot randomly and at spaced out intervals doesn't seem too worrisome to me.

My boyfriend's mother's mastiff is so sensitive that he gets hiccups whenever you scold him. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

trigger posted:

I think it's like people, some people (like me, my sisters, and my mom) are prone to getting hiccups all the time, while other people (like my fiance and his family) aren't. Granted, like ZIMS said, if it goes on for extended periods of time there can be a problem, but it's probably nothing.