Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Sorry for not providing a useful post, but I feel totally stupid today as I just now realized that my Wrangler had two cab lights that were not even operating - I didn't even know that they existed. They were the two courtesy lights under the dash. The previous owner apparently didn't know about pulling the door switch fuse, as when I bought it the lights on the sound bar had no bulbs in them. Surprise - neither did these lights. I can't believe I've owned this thing for a year and never even noticed them, even after having some bits of the dash apart.

You Cherokee guys are getting great deals these days. I've got my girlfriend turned on to them now, she's always pointing out nice Cherokees, so if she doesn't end up getting a used Focus, it's Cherokee time. I'm totally grinning at the chance to have another Jeep to wrench on, but we'll see.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
So are there no 2 door unlimiteds anymore? Every unlimited JK I see is 4 door, is that now the case. The only reason I ask is I very rarely see unlimited rubicons(LJ) where I am, and when I see JKs they are almost always 4 door.

I really think I'm going to go with a gr8top this winter, and try top find half doors with hard uppers. Uppers off + rear sliding glass open =just like riding with a summer top. So LJ hard top for sale, if'n someone is interested.

Also, the rails that the rear seat fits into. Did they use some sort of glue or adhesive on them or the torx holding them? Those shits are crazy tight. As in not moving.

I'm thinking of taking the jeep to the highschool automotive class and turning them loose on them as well as the rear lower shoulder belt torx, which are inside a plastic box and at a stupid angle.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

So are there no 2 door unlimiteds anymore? Every unlimited JK I see is 4 door, is that now the case. The only reason I ask is I very rarely see unlimited rubicons(LJ) where I am, and when I see JKs they are almost always 4 door.

For the JKs, Unlimited = 4dr. I guess they decided it would be an easy way to ID the SUV..er... 4dr Jeep Wranglers... :D

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Also, the rails that the rear seat fits into. Did they use some sort of glue or adhesive on them or the torx holding them? Those shits are crazy tight. As in not moving.

Yeah they're loctite'd in. They come out hard the first time. After that, no problem.

quote:

I'm thinking of taking the jeep to the highschool automotive class and turning them loose on them as well as the rear lower shoulder belt torx, which are inside a plastic box and at a stupid angle.

I think that's a great way to get all sorts of things broken.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Yeah they're loctite'd in. They come out hard the first time. After that, no problem.

I think that's a great way to get all sorts of things broken.

Red or blue loctite? don't say red, don't say red.

The senior class does all kinds of automotive repairs, and the teacher is a pretty top notch guy, but thinking on it I don't really want high school kids monkeying around with/IN my LJ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Red or blue loctite? don't say red, don't say red.
If you can figure a way to target it without setting everything aflame, heat helps.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

incredibull posted:

Sorry for not providing a useful post, but I feel totally stupid today as I just now realized that my Wrangler had two cab lights that were not even operating - I didn't even know that they existed. They were the two courtesy lights under the dash. The previous owner apparently didn't know about pulling the door switch fuse, as when I bought it the lights on the sound bar had no bulbs in them. Surprise - neither did these lights. I can't believe I've owned this thing for a year and never even noticed them, even after having some bits of the dash apart.

You Cherokee guys are getting great deals these days. I've got my girlfriend turned on to them now, she's always pointing out nice Cherokees, so if she doesn't end up getting a used Focus, it's Cherokee time. I'm totally grinning at the chance to have another Jeep to wrench on, but we'll see.

I discovered that I had these when they killed my battery. They were so dim and out of the way that I never noticed them, but I had accidentally left the dimmer dial set all the way on, and when I came out the next day the Jeep was dead.

Does anybody know if AM Auto Parts (am-autoparts.com) is a reliable site? My front right wheel bearing is shot and I need a replacement hub, and they have it for about $52 with free shipping. I found a couple bad reviews, but there are two different AM Auto Parts', apparently. One in Dedham, MA, and another in Claremont or Brookline, NH. The NH one has a bad review from BBB.org. I don't want to spend $52 on a part that's just going to blow up.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-jeep-phoenix/2002082/

IS this a copy of one of those Russian things, lada or something like that?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-jeep-phoenix/2002082/

IS this a copy of one of those Russian things, lada or something like that?

This looks like the beginning of the Jeep-badged Fiat Panda. I never thought I'd say this, but: AWESOME.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Autoblog.com posted:

With Chrysler's proposed alliance with Fiat all but a done deal, people have begun turning their attention towards the Italian automaker's vehicle line up and creating a wish list of which ones they'd like to see for sale over here in the U.S. [...] And so we present you this, the 2011 Jeep Phoenix, a wish for what might be when Chrysler starts getting new vehicles from Fiat. The owner of this idea claims the Fiat Panda Cross 4x4 is an eminently suitable canvas on which to create a small, fuel efficient yet very capable Jeep.

God help us if New Chrysler produces something that ugly under the Jeep brand.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

This looks like the beginning of the Jeep-badged Fiat Panda. I never thought I'd say this, but: AWESOME.

Panda, that was what I was thinking of.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
In anticipation of an upcoming summer filled with road trips, I installed the Mopar factory cruise control kit in my Wrangler today. Overall the kit was pretty easy to install, but Chrysler electronics nearly claimed a victory. Some Jeeps came from the factory prewired with the cruise control harness, and some didn't. No rhyme or reason to it, either. Lucky me, mine wasn't prewired.

Snaking the harness throughout the engine bay, through the dash, and modifying the dash wiring was easy, but gently caress this:

Click here for the full 909x682 image.

Part of modifying the wiring harness includes removing one of the ECU pigtails, drilling the pin blanks, inserting new pins, and reassembling. Only, the connector is nearly impossible to reassemble without the pins being perfectly aligned and locked into place into a flimsy little plastic locking grid. This is the only way I could figure out how to do it.

If you buy this kit, BE PREPARED.

Click here for the full 682x909 image.

DEFYING THE LAWS OF PHYSICS to install this kit

Click here for the full 682x909 image.

To celebrate, I let an 8 year old drive. (about the seat belts, we never went over 5)

incredibull fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 29, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

In anticipation of an upcoming summer filled with road trips, I installed the Mopar factory cruise control kit in my Wrangler today. Overall the kit was pretty easy to install, but Chrysler electronics nearly claimed a victory. Some Jeeps came from the factory prewired with the cruise control harness, and some didn't. No rhyme or reason to it, either. Lucky me, mine wasn't prewired.

JESUS.

aaaaaah, Top off. I remember that. I remember this thing called sun, and I think it used to come out some times.

I swear to god it has rained 3 months straight.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^^ I'm sure I remember you saying where you were from before, but your profile says you're in my mom's rear end... so since my mom is in Oregon, if you'd bother to climb out of there you'd see that it's sunny and beautiful in this state right now. :v:

incredibull posted:

Snaking the harness throughout the engine bay, through the dash, and modifying the dash wiring was easy, but gently caress this:

gently caress that poo poo, I would use a brick. But my Jeep has stock gearing and bigger tires, so my top speed is about 70 anyway. One of these days I'm going to get 4.56 gears in there and it will be a loving drag Jeep by comparison.

Also your Jeep is too clean and pretty.

Clamwacker fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 29, 2009

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Clamwacker posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^ I'm sure I remember you saying where you were from before, but your profile says you're in my mom's rear end... so since my mom is in Oregon, if you'd bother to climb out of there you'd see that it's sunny and beautiful in this state right now. :v:

gently caress that poo poo, I would use a brick. But my Jeep has stock gearing and bigger tires, so my top speed is about 70 anyway. One of these days I'm going to get 4.56 gears in there and it will be a loving drag Jeep by comparison.

Also your Jeep is too clean and pretty.

Wouldn't bigger tires increase your top speed, to a point?

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

Disciple of Pain posted:

Wouldn't bigger tires increase your top speed, to a point?

Maybe, if Wranglers weren't shaped like a pregnant cinder block. As it is, the engine RPMs are lower at higher speeds, but the larger tires weigh much more. This is the main reason why people with stock axles and 35" or larger tires tend to keep breaking axles.

My buddy's Cherokee has the same exact drivetrain as mine (4.0L, AX15 tranny, D35 in back with 3.07 gears) and his rig weighs slightly less than mine (I have custom bumpers and a winch, XJ = 3100 lbs, my YJ = 3200 lbs), but his has much better acceleration simply because of the weight of the wheels/tires... he's running 28" or so tires, they're still rated in 2XX/XXR15 or whatever. My top speed might be higher if I wasn't pushing around half the air in North America every time I hit the gas.

Edit: Another example -- I know a guy with a YJ virtually the same as mine, 4.0L, AX15, D35 at 3.07, but he runs 37" tires. He simply cannot use 5th gear. On perfectly flat land, it will not cause his vehicle to accelerate at any speed. He is farther along on saving money for new gears than I am, though. :(

Clamwacker fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 29, 2009

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Clamwacker posted:

Maybe, if Wranglers weren't shaped like a pregnant cinder block. As it is, the engine RPMs are lower at higher speeds, but the larger tires weigh much more. This is the main reason why people with stock axles and 35" or larger tires tend to keep breaking axles.

My buddy's Cherokee has the same exact drivetrain as mine (4.0L, AX15 tranny, D35 in back with 3.07 gears) and his rig weighs slightly less than mine (I have custom bumpers and a winch, XJ = 3100 lbs, my YJ = 3200 lbs), but his has much better acceleration simply because of the weight of the wheels/tires... he's running 28" or so tires, they're still rated in 2XX/XXR15 or whatever. My top speed might be higher if I wasn't pushing around half the air in North America every time I hit the gas.

Edit: Another example -- I know a guy with a YJ virtually the same as mine, 4.0L, AX15, D35 at 3.07, but he runs 37" tires. He simply cannot use 5th gear. On perfectly flat land, it will not cause his vehicle to accelerate at any speed. He is farther along on saving money for new gears than I am, though. :(

OIC. I was thinking you were gear limited, you are power limited (and I guess gear limited because in top gear you are below the powerband that might net you a few extra MPH).

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Clamwacker posted:

4.0L, AX15, D35 at 3.07, but he runs 37" tires.

:aaaaa:

I don't understand why he bought the tires first.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

:aaaaa:

I don't understand why he bought the tires first.

Lets lowball 4 37s at 325 each thats 1300 which you could easily get gears installed for that at a shop, if not a bit less.

But if you're gonna regear you might as well get whatever lockers you're gonna get since all that poo poo will be out and apart anyway.

But a lot of folks don't see it that way.

There's this guy I always see at my bank with a purple (faded blue?) TJ with a 3" body lift, 33's and diamond plate all over who gives me the :smug: cause his TJ sits higher than my lowly LJ Rubi.....oh I also shouldn't forget to mention the bunch of chain wrapped around his front bumper. It's several feet of that poo poo you get cut to length at Lowes, but it is NOT the good stuff. I think swing set chain MAY be slightly stronger than the poo poo on the front of his jeep.

But he has big gently caress off tires and I go home and weep every time from the shame of it all. The horror, and shame. My poor stock rear end LJ Rubicon, what a piece of poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How are the automatic transmissions on the 4.0 Cherokees from the 90's? Reliable? Long lasting?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

FogHelmut posted:

How are the automatic transmissions on the 4.0 Cherokees from the 90's? Reliable? Long lasting?

I believe all (mine does as does my cousin's '91) the 4.0 automatic cherokees have the AW4 - so yes, bulletproof.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah, they tend to be pretty drat rugged.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cool. I think I'm going to look at this Cherokee tomorrow. The Craigslist ad doesn't mention the year, and it's got 140k miles, but it looks like it's in pretty good condition.

The ad does mention

quote:

"bought it brand new! and kept it that way" Then give it to there kids, then got it back. ( Its been one family own )They never used it for towing, mudding, ruffrading, or the woods, " Not! that it can't do all that, " it's just they never did. It also has low miles, and if you know jeep's like i do there 100% bulletproof. I have drove this jeep my self, and may i say they really did take " Good care of it." it runs and drive very good. Good pickup, lots of power at the get go, trans shift smoothly, good parking feels firm. the only thing i did notice, is a little play in the front wheels, "just needs front end alignment" about a $75 job at pep-boys.

The play in the front wheels doesn't sound like an alignment. I've heard other things in other places about a steering stabilizer? Is this something I should be majorly concerned about?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 29, 2009

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
What's the best way to run wires through the firewall on a 96 Cherokee? I popped the passenger side main grommet out and ran some through there, but that seems like a bad Idea just having the grommet hang there next to the hole...?

When I had a saturn I could just shove stuff through the grommets but it seems I can't do that with this.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I guess you could drill another hole and put in another grommet. The grommets will keep the wires from rubbing metal and wearing insulation off.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

FogHelmut posted:

The play in the front wheels doesn't sound like an alignment. I've heard other things in other places about a steering stabilizer? Is this something I should be majorly concerned about?

Either bad u-joints or bad steering stabalizer. The stabalizer isn't serious, it just keeps you tracking straight if you hit some uneven pavement and takes a little stress off the other components. Just go over a speed bump; if the steering wheel shifts side-to-side it probably needs replacing. Easy enough job, but that tapered bolt in the drag link can be a pain in the rear end to get out sometimes.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

If you've seen the J8 concept based on the JK, it looks great as a 2-door LWB model. I have no idea why Chrysler dropped it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just found out it's a 1993. The guy lowered his price and is asking $2100 cash. I am definitely looking at it tomorrow. Is there anything particular I should look for? I will try the speed bump thing.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

FogHelmut posted:

I just found out it's a 1993. The guy lowered his price and is asking $2100 cash. I am definitely looking at it tomorrow. Is there anything particular I should look for? I will try the speed bump thing.

Assuming you are actually in philly, I would check well underneath and on the body for rust. If it's been through 16 winters in PA it's eaten up a lot of salt. Not saying it's crap, just look carefully.

Rear main seals are almost always leaky on 4.0s that old. As long as it's a slow drip it's not a big deal. Mine was leaking for a bit and seems to have stopped for now :iiam:.

fordham fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 30, 2009

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

fordham posted:

Assuming you are actually in philly, I would check well underneath and on the body for rust. If it's been through 16 winters in PA it's eaten up a lot of salt. Not saying it's crap, just look carefully.

Rear main seals are almost always leaky on 4.0s that old. As long as it's a slow drip it's not a big deal. Mine was leaking for a bit and seems to have stopped for now :iiam:.

The pictures looked very clean, though none were from underneath, but it looks like the guy took down the Craigslist ad, so I can't show them. I just talked to him and he said he had it, maybe he's positive I will buy?

Either way, I found out it's one of those small time dealerships. The website is a spectacle in itself.
http://diamondautosalesonline.com/

If it doesn't work out, I'll just try to win a new one in Atlantic City.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

FogHelmut posted:

The pictures looked very clean, though none were from underneath, but it looks like the guy took down the Craigslist ad, so I can't show them. I just talked to him and he said he had it, maybe he's positive I will buy?

Either way, I found out it's one of those small time dealerships. The website is a spectacle in itself.
http://diamondautosalesonline.com/

If it doesn't work out, I'll just try to win a new one in Atlantic City.

Hmmm. Maybe it might not be a bad idea to take it to someone for an inspection before you buy. See if they'll go for that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Anyone have any of the OEM Jeep Service Manuals? Can you tell me how they compare to something like a Haynes manual? They're about x2 the price on eBay, but if they're significantly more useful, I'll get one.

EDIT: Can you take a picture of a typical page also? I'm not looking for :filez: but, I'd like to see what it looks like inside compared to the others.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
They're significantly more useful, accurate, and contain the sections where Haynes just plops in "Take your vehicle to a professional mechanic."

Here's a random page from my 93 manual since it's what I have handy:

Click here for the full 1224x1584 image.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Molten Llama posted:

They're significantly more useful, accurate, and contain the sections where Haynes just plops in "Take your vehicle to a professional mechanic."

Here's a random page from my 93 manual since it's what I have handy:

Click here for the full 1224x1584 image.

Oh yeah, that looks awesome. Thanks! I'll pick one of those up.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

HONK HONK

2006 TJ Wrangler Unlimited. I used to own a '94 YJ Wrangler but sold it in 2003. I missed it, so here we are. :)

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

So are there no 2 door unlimiteds anymore? Every unlimited JK I see is 4 door, is that now the case.

DILLIGAF posted:

For the JKs, Unlimited = 4dr. I guess they decided it would be an easy way to ID the SUV..er... 4dr Jeep Wranglers... :D
I wasn't sure if I'd like the (TJ) Unlimited since I was used to the shorter wheelbase, but I gotta admit that I'm digging it. I think it's 4 inches more room for the back seat passenger and 6 inches more trunk space (?), but I like the extra room.

That said, you're not kidding DILLIGAF when you threw out the "SUV" slur. I was at the local Jeep dealership for parts, and they are really pushing the JK Unlimited.

Oh, and...

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

aaaaaah, Top off. I remember that. I remember this thing called sun, and I think it used to come out some times.

I swear to god it has rained 3 months straight.
No poo poo, I just bought this thing and I've only had the top down once. :mad:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I like how the top is down in those pics even though everything is clearly soaking wet.

I'm really bad about leaving the top down in rain since I Herculined mine.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

ManicJason posted:

I like how the top is down in those pics even though everything is clearly soaking wet.

I'm really bad about leaving the top down in rain since I Herculined mine.
Those were taken right after I bought it. I didn't care that it was 65 degrees and damp, I'm taking the top down dammit!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Sasquatch! posted:

HONK HONK

No poo poo, I just bought this thing and I've only had the top down once. :mad:

That looks like it is in amazing shape... must have been owned by a mall crawler! The best used Jeeps always are.

A little rain won't hurt it. Get a bikini top to keep the rain off the dash and then pull the drain plugs in the tub... Voila!~

I bought my JK in March and it has had the top on it for a total of 1 day. The day I bought it. The doors came off a week later and have been back on one time (for a rainy day) because I had to go downtown in a suit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That 93 wasn't right for me. The condition and the price was about right, but the dash was in bad shape, and probably needed more work that I am willing to put in right now. I think I'm going to focus on looking for something a little newer and with less miles. Thanks for the advice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Well, I did the first work on my Grand Cherokee - I replaced the Hood Support struts. :v: I had to do it first though, so the hood didn't slam down on my head if I bumped the pole I was using.

Seriously, I could have done it in 5 minutes with a pair of nail clippers, it was so easy (and cheap). This tells me the PO didn't want to bother and just wanted to sell it. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'm hoping on good considering the condition it's in.

Question though: I was thinking about posting about my repairs. MY GIRLFRIEND even said she'd take the pictures. Think that's worthy of its own thread, or should I just dump em here?