Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

happyelf posted:

It doesn't work that way for a normal lich. You have to trash them, and the phylactery. If you trash it without them, their soul just goes back to their body. If you trash them without it, they re-form near it IIRC a day or so afterwards.

Some lichs are more vulnerable, such as the original Dracolich Dragotha, but most of the time, you've gotta do both.

So if they kill him, they might have time to race away with the phylactery and find someone powerful enough to destroy it before he reforms.

On the other hand, "we have your phylactery, now all we need to do is find a way to destroy you" is quite a threat. I'm pretty sure that if the phylactery were delivered to the remaining paladins they could figure out a way to easily destroy it on command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
So if you're a fighter/paladin with two healing potions worth of hp, and you've managed to flank an epic-level sorceror/lich who is choking your ally, what do you do?

I'm guessing he'll opt for a smite evil, then try and grab the phylactery and sprint for the roof so he can throw it into the rift.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ZorbaTHut posted:

I remember a story about a dungeon where the first level was chock-full of . . . level one kobolds.

Level one kobolds with an elaborate and deadly system of traps.

The adventuring party feared the first level, and whenever they had to re-enter the dungeon, they raced through the first level as quickly as possible so they could get to the relatively-easy beholders and dragons.

Levels ain't everything.

http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

I love that story.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

So now that O-Chul knows he can't destroy the phylactary with physical attacks, I wonder if he can snag it and make his way to the rift? Even if tossing it in with the Snarl doesn't destroy it, it would absolutely ensure the destruction of Xykon, since if he regenerates inside the Snarl he'd be utterly undone, soul and all.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Jesus, you just can't stop O-Chul.

What is Rich planning to do with him though? It's already been established that he can't break the phylactery, and unless he starts going hand-to-hand with Xykon and it goes amazingly well, this has to be the set-up for his death. Xykon's already promoted him to the top tier of prisoners, after this he just can't be worth the hassle of keeping around.

Wait, why is he keeping O-Chul alive at this point? Doesn't he already know where the gate is?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Nilbop posted:

What is Rich planning to do with him though? It's already been established that he can't break the phylactery, and unless he starts going hand-to-hand with Xykon and it goes amazingly well, this has to be the set-up for his death. Xykon's already promoted him to the top tier of prisoners, after this he just can't be worth the hassle of keeping around.

Grapple, maybe? Although Xykon has Still Spell, so that won't work. It might buy V enough time to get away, though, which might be O-Chul's plan.

quote:

Wait, why is he keeping O-Chul alive at this point? Doesn't he already know where the gate is?

He likes torturing him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I suspect he's keeping him alive because it is fun and he doesn't really consider O-Chul a threat. He'll kill him off once he can do so in a fun way. Xylon's only real weakness so far is that even if he isn't as stupid as he seems to be, he certainly underestimates people a lot and tends to play around with them instead of just killing them.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect he's keeping him alive because it is fun and he doesn't really consider O-Chul a threat. He'll kill him off once he can do so in a fun way. Xylon's only real weakness so far is that even if he isn't as stupid as he seems to be, he certainly underestimates people a lot and tends to play around with them instead of just killing them.

I get the feeling that Xykon is really fundamentally uninterested in the whole "take over the world" thing. He doesn't actually want to do it. He wants to try, because it's a whole lot of fun, but if he ever succeeds he'd just end up bored.

I strongly suspect that if Xykon sat down and figured out the easiest and simplest way to conquer the planet, he'd have it done within a few months. But he knows this, and he keeps people like O-Chul around because, goshdarnit, it just wouldn't be any fun without a few nemeses.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
If O'Chul gets off a few good Smite Evils before Xykon's got his footing, he could probably at least get him in the mood for a hasty retreat. After that its just a matter of V and him managing to escape the thousands of guards that will prevent there escape, especially since I assume V can no longer port.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
Anyone following Erfworld? Parson managed to swear at last. I'd recommend reading through it now that book 1 is ended if you've previously found it hard to follow, it does hold together a lot better as a complete work.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Hentaikid posted:

Anyone following Erfworld? Parson managed to swear at last. I'd recommend reading through it now that book 1 is ended if you've previously found it hard to follow, it does hold together a lot better as a complete work.

Oh wow, that means a lot more now that I noticed that.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen

Brannock posted:

I haven't played D&D in a long time - what happens if the lich is half-reformed when the phylactery is destroyed?
That's actually an interesting point because i can't remember the language really indicating how long a lich takes to reform: in 4e they reform in 1d10 days, but is that gradual, or all at once? I could dig out my old 3e books but that's a lotta effort.

ZorbaTHut posted:

On the other hand, "we have your phylactery, now all we need to do is find a way to destroy you" is quite a threat. I'm pretty sure that if the phylactery were delivered to the remaining paladins they could figure out a way to easily destroy it on command.
Again, i don't think there's a clear set of rules on wether a lich can re-build their soul box if it gets stolen.

That said, I don't think this particular lich would give a poo poo, becase giving a poo poo is just not his thing. He does come across as quite approachable at times, but i really don't think he would react to a threat in a useful way, but maybe his reaction would be entertaining.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I seem to recall that last time he was destroyed, Xykon regenerated one bit at a time over weeks.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sefer posted:

http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

I love that story.

Holy poo poo. I want to run a dungeon like this. Does anyone have a writeup of that, in D&D hard terms?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's how you're supposed to run kobolds, at least according to the old Monster Manuals.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe Dragon Mountain and to a lesser extent Axe of the Dwarvish Lords were all about cunning kobolds. IIRC Dragon Mountain is what started the trend.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Strabo4 posted:

Oh wow, that means a lot more now that I noticed that.

I thought maybe I'm just deadened to swearing but going back and looking I feel pretty confident saying that wasn't there originally

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Maldraedior posted:

I thought maybe I'm just deadened to swearing but going back and looking I feel pretty confident saying that wasn't there originally

No, I remember seeing it when it originally updated, it was definitely there then.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The Werle posted:

If O'Chul gets off a few good Smite Evils before Xykon's got his footing, he could probably at least get him in the mood for a hasty retreat. After that its just a matter of V and him managing to escape the thousands of guards that will prevent there escape, especially since I assume V can no longer port.

Xykon's pretty badly wounded right now, what with taking an empowered sunburst flat in the face. He also has basically no high-level spells left, and if O'Chul gets V free to fire off another Disintegrate or something there's a real chance of them taking down his body. At that point, presumably they'd abandon the phylactery because it's hideously risky to bring it along given its probable trackability.

Well, that's what I *hope* is going to happen, because it makes no sense to split up the party *again*.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

happyelf posted:

Some lichs are more vulnerable, such as the original Dracolich Dragotha, but most of the time, you've gotta do both.

That's who I was basing my theory on. Either way, if they make off with his phylactery it would be a good thing.

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2009

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

V. Illych L. posted:

Xykon's pretty badly wounded right now, what with taking an empowered sunburst flat in the face. He also has basically no high-level spells left, and if O'Chul gets V free to fire off another Disintegrate or something there's a real chance of them taking down his body. At that point, presumably they'd abandon the phylactery because it's hideously risky to bring it along given its probable trackability.

Well, that's what I *hope* is going to happen, because it makes no sense to split up the party *again*.

What's stopping them from destroying his body, putting the phylactery inside of a bag of holding and stabbing the bag?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

What's stopping them from destroying his body, putting the phylactery inside of a bag of holding and stabbing the bag?

I think it's the fact Xykon's ludicrously more powerful than any of them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mystic Mongol posted:

I think it's the fact Xykon's ludicrously more powerful than any of them.

But let's assume that O-Chul manages to incapacitate him somehow, not necessarily destroy utterly, and V manages to warp them both off the premises with the phylactery (assuming Cloyster only lets you warp out, not in). What's stopping them from grabbing one of Haley's bags and then go after Xykon before he can create a new one?
I mean, can phylacteries be destroyed that way?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I would totally forgive Rich stopping the webcomic and focusing on only putting out books every year or two if it stopped discussion like this.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Calaveron posted:

(assuming Cloyster only lets you warp out, not in)

You're correct. The advanced spell, Shellder, prevents warping in or out.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Again, I'd say tossing it into the rift would be a much simpler solution.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Calaveron posted:

But let's assume that O-Chul manages to incapacitate him somehow, not necessarily destroy utterly, and V manages to warp them both off the premises with the phylactery (assuming Cloyster only lets you warp out, not in). What's stopping them from grabbing one of Haley's bags and then go after Xykon before he can create a new one?
I mean, can phylacteries be destroyed that way?

V can't teleport.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Stabbing a bag of holding, if I remember correctly, just means all the stuff pops out. Putting a bag of holding into another bag of holding tears a rift into the astral plane. Won't destroy it, but it will get picked up by some Gith.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Seftir posted:

Stabbing a bag of holding, if I remember correctly, just means all the stuff pops out. Putting a bag of holding into another bag of holding tears a rift into the astral plane. Won't destroy it, but it will get picked up by some Gith.

A whole book about Xykon and his search for his phylacracy in the astral plane would be so swell.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Affi posted:

A whole book about Xykon and his search for his phylacracy in the astral plane would be so swell.

More like 4 panels. Planeshift, divines where it is, scrys it, teleports there. Gets it back without breaking a sweat. High level wizards don't give a gently caress.

E: not like a lich could sweat

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 1, 2009

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Seftir posted:

More like 4 panels. Planeshift, divines where it is, scrys it, teleports there. Gets it back without breaking a sweat. High level sorcerers don't give a gently caress.

E: not like a lich could sweat

Fixed ;) (Xykon is a sorcerer not a wizard :p )

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

high level spellcasters didn't give a gently caress. Druids, Clerics, wizards, etc. Anything but bards.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
Cloister only prevents spells that are starting outside from getting in. You can teleport from the inside to a point outside (Celia used to do it all the time) or from any place inside to any other place inside (Therkla did it once to find Haley). The only way to magically get inside from outside is to be summoned.

But all that aside, V can't teleport without a soul splice. It's in her forbidden school.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Seftir posted:

Actually, you can put bags of holding inside one another. What you can't do is put a portable hole into a bag of holding, or vice versa.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Seftir posted:

high level spellcasters didn't give a gently caress. Druids, Clerics, wizards, etc. Anything but bards.

High level bards don't give a gently caress either, they just make other high level characters do their bidding with more social skills and manipulation-based magic than two trickster gods stapled together.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

Guitar_Hero posted:

Actually, you can put bags of holding inside one another. What you can't do is put a portable hole into a bag of holding, or vice versa.

I've really wanted to suicide bomb a big enemy by doing this for a long time.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Caerulius posted:

I've really wanted to suicide bomb a big enemy by doing this for a long time.

We always considered it a mid-level last ditch resort but I knew the DM would be a huge rear end in a top hat and separate us all and then we'd be slim pickings for astral devourers and mind flayers, etc.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Seftir posted:

Start of Darkness made it a point to talk about how everyone thinks sorcerers are retarded and pose no real threat.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Seftir posted:

More like 4 panels. Planeshift, divines where it is, scrys it, teleports there. Gets it back without breaking a sweat.

It's been cloistered, unless Xykon has researched an epic level divination / scrying spell he wouldn't be able to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

HKR posted:

Start of Darkness made it a point to talk about how everyone thinks sorcerers are retarded and pose no real threat.

It also made it a point that Xykon killed a lot of wizards because they thought such.