Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Mac game, mid 90s.

was based all in the future and i believe, you traveled to other planets but it all took place in city-like environments. it was all first-person where you just click on the environments.

at the end of the game, you meet the daughter or something and you can make her say whatever you type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ez posted:

I remember seeing a game in Wal Mart back when I was about 10 or so (so about 11 years ago). It was a PC game that had something to do with caves that had giant crystals in them, which somehow either held naked women inside them, or at least had something to do with naked women.

I really don't remember many details, but it definately had something to do with crystals and nudity.

It would really make my day if someone knows that the gently caress I'm talking about.

This could be TekWar or Immercenary.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I used to have (in the late 90s) a PC shareware space trading game where you were an alien and you traveled to different planets to buy and sell. It had "-opoly" or "-ocracy" in the name, something like that...it's a long shot, I know.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This game isn't out yet. There was a trailer for it somewhere and it look incredible. I think it's for a handheld. I want to say it's a PSP game, but I'm unsure... could be DS.

The game is sort of like the PSP's Crush in that you can switch from 2d to 3d at any time (and you have to in order to beat the levels. However, it's not a puzzler, it's a platformer.

It's art style is really cute, really well done pixel art.

I went to look up more information on this game and realized I'd forgotten the name.

kid roland
Oct 13, 2008
Hopefully this wasn't already mentioned (only read through the first 5 pages or so), but there was this PC game I vaguely remember from the mid-90's in which your character and some friends are in a world with dinosaurs, and you could turn into animals. I distinctly remember a run-in with a raptor and an animation sequence in which a girl turns into a butterfly. I'm pretty sure it had "-topia" in the title, but Dinotopia does not seem to fit the bill.

Hog in the Meadow
Jul 3, 2006

Gam zeh ya'avor

Blind Sally posted:

This game isn't out yet. There was a trailer for it somewhere and it look incredible. I think it's for a handheld. I want to say it's a PSP game, but I'm unsure... could be DS.

The game is sort of like the PSP's Crush in that you can switch from 2d to 3d at any time (and you have to in order to beat the levels. However, it's not a puzzler, it's a platformer.

It's art style is really cute, really well done pixel art.

I went to look up more information on this game and realized I'd forgotten the name.

Fez?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVVIVyLx-Y

I don't know anything about it, but that trailer sounds like what you're thinking of.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I had this disk with a ton of games on it a while ago, but I forgot what it was called. There was a game where you flew a plane around on planets and things, and had to hunt down the boss of each level, which were called Guardians, a game where you had to drive a hoverbike around a crazy 3D racetrack or something, and some kind of puzzle top down game where you had to kill huge roaches. Does anyone know what this is?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This info is coming from a guy at work, I said I'd look it up for him.

Xbox (original) game, 3 characters, 2 male and 1 female. You switch off between them all throughout the game. One guy has 2 pistols, another has a shotgun, can't remember what the other person has. I believe it's 3rd person.

I think they're investigating a house or something.

Someone else from work said it was "Indigo Prophecy", which I couldn't chime in with because I've never played it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Xbox (original) game, 3 characters, 2 male and 1 female. You switch off between them all throughout the game. One guy has 2 pistols, another has a shotgun, can't remember what the other person has. I believe it's 3rd person.

Someone else from work said it was "Indigo Prophecy", which I couldn't chime in with because I've never played it.
I don't remember much in the way of weapons or combat in Indigo Prophecy, and you aren't exploring a house, at least not primarily, although there is viewpoint switching. The entire game is controlled with the two thumbsticks. I don't think that's it, although I'm not sure what it is.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I don't know what it is but it's not Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, you don't even fire a gun in the game.

Astra
Aug 7, 2007
This is surely the way it is going to be

CK07 posted:

I used to have (in the late 90s) a PC shareware space trading game where you were an alien and you traveled to different planets to buy and sell. It had "-opoly" or "-ocracy" in the name, something like that...it's a long shot, I know.

The closest thing I can think to this would be Gazillionaire

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Astra posted:

The closest thing I can think to this would be Gazillionaire

That's the one!! Thanks a million. Or a gazillion.

theryo
Mar 20, 2009
I remember from a previous thread about games where your the bad guy; that there was a game where you went around killing people becasue a voice in your head told you to. It was something about the world ending I think. I belive it was on the pc but I'm not sure.

Scrapey
Dec 27, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

I had this disk with a ton of games on it a while ago, but I forgot what it was called. There was a game where you flew a plane around on planets and things, and had to hunt down the boss of each level, which were called Guardians, a game where you had to drive a hoverbike around a crazy 3D racetrack or something, and some kind of puzzle top down game where you had to kill huge roaches. Does anyone know what this is?

I'm pretty sure that's Deadly Rooms of Death.

dimwitf
Apr 8, 2008

'morning.
My mind keeps going back to a '90s PC game, it'd be cool to know the title.
- Set in space, you had to build colonies and collect resources from planets, and could recruit various people for administrative tasks.
- There was a 3-d map; it reminded me of the one from Star Control 1.
- You could build different types of ships after obtaining plans for them, one of the larger of which had a name like "Dragon".
- There were a bunch of little subplots, most of which I forget except for one: a pretty good recruit turned out to secretly be an android. This was apparently not good; you could turn them in and that would help your standing with other employees...or not, and others would hate you for it.
Does this super-vague explanation ring any bells?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I'm trying to think of a game that was for Genesis (I think). Basically all I remember was it was a platformer and you were an adventurer with a (long-haired?) dog and a dog whistle. What I remember was the dog and the adventurer climbing a mountain or something.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CK07 posted:

That's the one!! Thanks a million. Or a gazillion.

If you don't want to throw down 30 bones for a 12 year old shareware game (it might be older!) here's a different link for $10

http://www.reflexive.com/Themes/Arcade2004Banner/index.php?PAGE=game_detail&AID=1077&CID=4138&CBAN=arcadeimages%2fBanner4138.jpg

Caution Baby
Dec 26, 2006

you really don't remember anything important, do you, br'er lappin?
Trying to recall a PC puzzle platformer from the mid-90s. It had an in-game level editor and the object was to get to the exit. I think it had a yellow main character. You may have had to collect wrenches? There were cave levels and futuristic levels with lasers. I think it had a simple title like Duplo or Zupo or something.(not bluppo)

JustNoSkill
Apr 9, 2009
This game a was a blockbuster rental from way back, so it's totally possible I'm remembering it poorly. It was either for Sega or SNES.

Basically, it was a fantasy sidescroller where you and a friend would pick characters (I remember specifically an elf, cleric... and the rest were probably generic stuff like that). You would then move left to right across the screen a la Golden Axe, fighting people.

What made this game different and kind of fun was that every character actually used a ranged attack. So you'd swing your mace/whatever, and a little wave would come out of your guy, travel a bit, and do damage. Pickups or something would cause your attack to power up, sending out more, stronger waves, until you died and it got reset (basically like the mechanic for weapon powerups in all those scrolling spaceship shooter games). For some reason, I remember that it was a lot of fun and I'd like to remember... what the hell it was, exactly.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

JustNoSkill posted:

This game a was a blockbuster rental from way back, so it's totally possible I'm remembering it poorly. It was either for Sega or SNES.

Basically, it was a fantasy sidescroller where you and a friend would pick characters (I remember specifically an elf, cleric... and the rest were probably generic stuff like that). You would then move left to right across the screen a la Golden Axe, fighting people.

What made this game different and kind of fun was that every character actually used a ranged attack. So you'd swing your mace/whatever, and a little wave would come out of your guy, travel a bit, and do damage. Pickups or something would cause your attack to power up, sending out more, stronger waves, until you died and it got reset (basically like the mechanic for weapon powerups in all those scrolling spaceship shooter games). For some reason, I remember that it was a lot of fun and I'd like to remember... what the hell it was, exactly.

Sounds like King of Dragons.

JustNoSkill
Apr 9, 2009

pud posted:

Sounds like King of Dragons.

Awesome, a quick google image search confirms it. Thanks, I'm basking in nostalgia at this very moment.

TraX
Mar 6, 2005
I remember a SNES game about mechs. You had a little pilot guy that could jump in and out of different ones and there was a platformer style single player game (plus killing lots of robots), and a two player split-screen deathmatch. The game was side scrolling (and some vertical) platformer style (think metroid). Also, the two human like robots had one with a machine gun and a chainsaw style weapon while the other had a laser blade and laser rifle. There was also a heavy artillery mech and a crazy rolling ball that deployed into a turret.

I know I've found the rom of this one before but I literally keep forgetting the name of it every few years. Help would be appreciated.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TraX posted:

I remember a SNES game about mechs. You had a little pilot guy that could jump in and out of different ones and there was a platformer style single player game (plus killing lots of robots), and a two player split-screen deathmatch. The game was side scrolling (and some vertical) platformer style (think metroid). Also, the two human like robots had one with a machine gun and a chainsaw style weapon while the other had a laser blade and laser rifle. There was also a heavy artillery mech and a crazy rolling ball that deployed into a turret.

I know I've found the rom of this one before but I literally keep forgetting the name of it every few years. Help would be appreciated.

Metal Warriors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Warriors

TraX
Mar 6, 2005
Profuse thanks to chairface!

Metal Warriors was an awesome game that me and my brother played to death (and even had some fights over).

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TraX posted:

Profuse thanks to chairface!

Metal Warriors was an awesome game that me and my brother played to death (and even had some fights over).

The 2-player vs. mode works acceptably over the internet and is still fun. The 1-player campaign, however, has not aged well.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

This might be Hunter: The Reckoning.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Scrapey posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Deadly Rooms of Death.

Yeah, that's the one. Still have no idea what the other 2 are though.

Chew Tobacco Rag
Jul 6, 2006
There was an old Commodore 64 game that I last played in 1988 or so. Each stage was one screen, and the goal of every stage was to get to the right side of the screen and touch something that looked kind of like a lamp post. There were pits that you had to jump over, and in the pits were knights that tried to poke you with spears as you jumped over them. I think you might have been able to double-jump in that game, since that's how I remember you had to avoid the knights.

meeogee
May 13, 2009
Dear friends,
Please help me identify this game as I've been looking at every screenshot I can find with no luck. I would love to play it again to relive the glory days.
I played in on C64 in about 1986 or 87 and it was on a disk my friend copied for me so maybe it was a commercial release, but I don't know.
It was an action adventure type game with topdown perspective kind of like nethack. It was drawn in crude very blocky style with just black, yellow, and blue I think.
You wandered your adventurer around from room to room and collected armor, weapons, and treasure while battling various monsters.
It was a desert theme with mummies, snakes, and so on in the dungeon. The asp was the bastard as I recall.
Thank you!

Edit: It looked a lot like Sword of Fargoal.

Nevermind I found it! I guess I didn't look hard enough before. It's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_to_Apshai

meeogee fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 3, 2009

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Chew Tobacco Rag posted:

There was an old Commodore 64 game that I last played in 1988 or so. Each stage was one screen, and the goal of every stage was to get to the right side of the screen and touch something that looked kind of like a lamp post. There were pits that you had to jump over, and in the pits were knights that tried to poke you with spears as you jumped over them. I think you might have been able to double-jump in that game, since that's how I remember you had to avoid the knights.

Hunchback. I'm sure I remember a double-jump too, but this guy doesn't seem to use it.

Chew Tobacco Rag
Jul 6, 2006

Polsy posted:

Hunchback. I'm sure I remember a double-jump too, but this guy doesn't seem to use it.

Yes, that's it! My mind is finally at ease after 20 years of trying to remember that game.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Sega Genesis game set in space.

Your little space dude would walk around a 2-d space dock when you sell things. If you leave the controller idle too long, he would fold his arms and tap his foot and somehow look extremely indignant despite wearing one of those spacesuit helmets that you couldn't see in to.

You would fly your little ship to planets and eject a smaller thing out of it which you would use to dig for ore or artifacts, fight monsters, etc. then you would slowly go back to your ship and get in it, launch, then go back to the space town and sell whatever poo poo you dug up.

Anyone know this?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Vincent Valentine posted:

Sega Genesis game set in space.

Your little space dude would walk around a 2-d space dock when you sell things. If you leave the controller idle too long, he would fold his arms and tap his foot and somehow look extremely indignant despite wearing one of those spacesuit helmets that you couldn't see in to.

You would fly your little ship to planets and eject a smaller thing out of it which you would use to dig for ore or artifacts, fight monsters, etc. then you would slowly go back to your ship and get in it, launch, then go back to the space town and sell whatever poo poo you dug up.

Anyone know this?

Probably Starflight.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

Probably Starflight.
Someone's actually LPing Starflight right now!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3128119

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Not a game, but a game magazine, because I don't know where else to put this. I remember I had this magazine years ago. It was about PSX games (maybe RPGs? not sure.), and included reviews for a few. It had vaguely anime-ish characters in it, and I think they had their own comic at the start of the magazine. It's been tormenting me all day.

It reviewed Monster Rancher 2, I think? And the title of it had the main character of the comic's name in it. I checked the Wikipedia list of video game magazines and nothing seemed like it, so I might just be insane.

boxinglemur
Mar 28, 2007
THIS IS MADNESS
First one was for the SNES I believe, it was an overhead helicopter game in which you flew around doing random objectives for the US government I think. It made use of a little crane on your gunship that could repel down and grab poo poo like people and supplies.

Second one I think was for the N64, it was another overhead game that had you going through enemy bases destroying poo poo with selectable roles like a tank, helicopter and something else. The only thing I remember distinctly was this bigass flaming skull that would pop out laughing at you after you lost and ran out of "lives." gently caress that guy.

stevej88na
Mar 25, 2007
strength and honor

boxinglemur posted:

Second one I think was for the N64, it was another overhead game that had you going through enemy bases destroying poo poo with selectable roles like a tank, helicopter and something else. The only thing I remember distinctly was this bigass flaming skull that would pop out laughing at you after you lost and ran out of "lives." gently caress that guy.

Return fire! My 3DO overheated many times from that game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWGxXyBGZA

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

boxinglemur posted:

First one was for the SNES I believe, it was an overhead helicopter game in which you flew around doing random objectives for the US government I think. It made use of a little crane on your gunship that could repel down and grab poo poo like people and supplies.

Sounds a lot like the Strike series, I think Desert, Jungle, and Urban were all released for the SNES

boxinglemur
Mar 28, 2007
THIS IS MADNESS

stevej88na posted:

Return fire! My 3DO overheated many times from that game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWGxXyBGZA

Hahaha YES. That rear end in a top hat skull brought back some lost memories.

Red Red Blue posted:

Sounds a lot like the Strike series, I think Desert, Jungle, and Urban were all released for the SNES

Well that was quick, Yes on this also!

You both win, thanks a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I played a rail shooter in an arcade a few times in the mid-nineties. It had a sci-fi theme where you fought mechs and robots, but I can't remember much else. The final level had you escaping from a building before a bomb went off, and I didn't make it in time the one time I got that far.