Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Sniep posted:

This is a purely uninformed decision, based solely on looks, but I'd say the JBL a thousand times over the HTIB include unit. Try them yourself and compare?

I suck at telling the difference between speakers unless it is really obvious, which it may be, but I REALLY suck. So, I was hoping for an opinion on the statistics between the two. Also, the JBL doesn't have the single subwoofer cable plug but two L-R channels that the guy that I bought it from told me to just plug the single cable into one of those - but that doesn't seem right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Straithate posted:

Many years ago I picked up a JBL E150P Subwoofer for my HT. Several years after that I purchased a HTIB, Onkyo brand, for a new apartment. As far as I can tell the subwoofer that came with it is an SKW-540, which seems to resemble an SKW-204.

I really have no idea which subwoofer is better at this point... So, which one would you hook up?

the jbl should definitely have more power and be a better woofer cone than the onkyo. if you want you can take out both the woofers and look at the actual magnet structure, the jbl is probably a lot heavier than the onkyo which probably is way cheaper looking

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Omegaslast posted:

the jbl should definitely have more power and be a better woofer cone than the onkyo. if you want you can take out both the woofers and look at the actual magnet structure, the jbl is probably a lot heavier than the onkyo which probably is way cheaper looking

That is, if the onkyo will even be disassembled, and was not glued together permanently. *

* Not saying Onkyo is in any way a bad name, but, cheap HTIB kits require some sacrifices. They do very well in my opinion for the pricepoints they reach, but still, I doubt that sub even has a screw in it

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Not sure if this deserves its own thread, so here goes.

I picked up a used Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver a couple years ago, but have only been running front L/R speakers in it until now. I just put together a new set for fronts and moved my old fronts to surround duty.

Here's the problem: I get no sound out of the surround speakers when listening to any source. It's not even moving the cone. However, if I run through the individual level setting, I can get a white noise test tone out of the two surrounds. That's the only sound I've heard from them since I moved them.

All speakers are 8 ohms, I've checked to make sure I have the surrounds turned *on* in the speaker setup in the receiver. Still nada.

Any idea what could be going on before I cart it off to a repair shop?

Edit: Haha, the only 'problem' I have is I am apparantly a tard. The first thing I played with the rears hooked up was not a 5.1 encoded source (some xbox live arcade game). :v:

dreggory fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 3, 2009

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Is there any benefit to bi-wiring speakers or is it more dumb audiophile poo poo?

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I just got some new bookshelf speakers that I'm going to be using as surrounds but one of them is missing the clamp down screw for the positive speaker wire. I could always put a banana clip on it or something, but is there any chance that the sizes for these screw clamps are standard and I could just go to Radio Shack or Fry's and get a replacement one? The speakers are JBL Venue Monitors.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

DonkeyHotay posted:

Is there any benefit to bi-wiring speakers or is it more dumb audiophile poo poo?

It's suppose to reduce interference and allow for a clearer sound. Anyone else know anything? I had my speakers bi-amped but just got 7.1, so I bi-wired the front.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

DonkeyHotay posted:

audiophile poo poo.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Omegaslast posted:

audiophile poo poo.

I dunno, I didn't double-blind or anything but it sounded different to me. Maybe the plates connecting my terminals are lovely or something, but I liked the bi-wire better.

Or it could have been psychosomatic audiophile poo poo. I didn't even single-blind that test.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

fahrvergnugen posted:

I dunno, I didn't double-blind or anything but it sounded different to me. Maybe the plates connecting my terminals are lovely or something, but I liked the bi-wire better.

Or it could have been psychosomatic audiophile poo poo. I didn't even single-blind that test.

if your brain wants to hear a difference it will. its not a very reliable organ for audio testing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
anybody got any experience with ONKYO HTiB's?

I have a 5.1 system I've had for a while that (for my bedroom) I rather enjoy. It's way more power than any bedroom needs, but that's cool.

I was blaming movies at first, track mixes, specifically. But now I'm wondering if it's not some kind of setting or just some tweaks I need to do to my receiver in some menu.

The dilemma is basically that I either blow my brains out on ACTION SCENE ACTION SCENE ACTION SCENE! in order to really hear dialog, or I turn down the Action Scenes and end up going "what did he just say?" a lot.

It's not an extreme problem. But it's noticeable enough that I'd like to see if a preset or some kind of level-adjustments might help?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Feenix posted:

anybody got any experience with ONKYO HTiB's?

I have a 5.1 system I've had for a while that (for my bedroom) I rather enjoy. It's way more power than any bedroom needs, but that's cool.

I was blaming movies at first, track mixes, specifically. But now I'm wondering if it's not some kind of setting or just some tweaks I need to do to my receiver in some menu.

The dilemma is basically that I either blow my brains out on ACTION SCENE ACTION SCENE ACTION SCENE! in order to really hear dialog, or I turn down the Action Scenes and end up going "what did he just say?" a lot.

It's not an extreme problem. But it's noticeable enough that I'd like to see if a preset or some kind of level-adjustments might help?

Can you just up the volume on the center channel?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fahrvergnugen posted:

Can you just up the volume on the center channel?

I tried that, it helped a little. I may take it to more extremes. I guess aside from the obvious type of things like that, what I was wondering was if anyone was familiar with some kind of Mode or setting that focused more on dialog. I guess I should just bust out the old instruction manual if I can find it. :)

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Feenix posted:

I tried that, it helped a little. I may take it to more extremes. I guess aside from the obvious type of things like that, what I was wondering was if anyone was familiar with some kind of Mode or setting that focused more on dialog. I guess I should just bust out the old instruction manual if I can find it. :)

Have you busted out a decibel meter and some white noise to balance out the system? (Or I guess, did your system come with a microphone for the job?) That can make a huge difference for this sort of thing.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
There's probably a dynamic range adjustment, or try turning on Night mode.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I think I might be a retard, I'm not sure if I understand how a receiver works.

code:
          PC              Monitor
            \            /
    HDMI cable          HDMI to DVI cable
              \        /
               Receiver 
              /        \
    HDMI cable          Analog wiring
            /            \
   Cable box              Speakers
So, all that is needed is the correct amount of HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, and speaker outputs.

Questions:

1. Is the above correct?

2. Is the only difference between HDMI pass through and HDMI processing that the HDMI cable is used for sound as well as video? It seems like a hefty price premium to pay for just not having to run S/PDIF cables.

3. If using S/PDIF cables for audio, would changing the source on the receiver still automatically change both audio and video to be correct at once, or would I have to individually change audio and video sources?

4. Can someone recommend a basic budget receiver and speakers or HTIB that would work for this in a 5.1 setup, but not sound any worse than a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 computer speaker system (which I'm very happy with)? I am not averse to buying used off of Craigslist or SA Mart, but I'd probably like to avoid eBay.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 5, 2009

ace22b
Jan 3, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

1. Is the above correct?

Yes, but a lot of computers can't put out audio over hdmi.
EDIT: Also make sure monitor supports HDCP if you are going to use DVI.

quote:

2. Is the only difference between HDMI pass through and HDMI processing that the HDMI cable is used for sound as well as video? It seems like a hefty price premium to pay for just not having to run S/PDIF cables.

No, HDMI has more audio bandwidth allowing you to run 7.1 PCM signal or new Dolby/DTS codecs.

quote:

3. If using S/PDIF cables for audio, would changing the source on the receiver still automatically change both audio and video to be correct at once, or would I have to individually change audio and video sources?

Yes, they switch audo and video at the same time once you properly configure it.

ace22b fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 6, 2009

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
So if I were to get an HDMI processing receiver, would I still be able to set it to pass through if I wanted to?

Right now, I'd want to use a receiver to pass through to my Logitech Z-5500 computer speakers via S/PDIF (assuming this will let the Logitechs decode Dolby/DTS). In the future, I'd want to do full processing in the receiver and get real speakers.

ace22b
Jan 3, 2006
I imagine a lot of receivers don't have S/PDIF passthrough?

Never really looked into it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

Then why are people on this very page suggesting that I use 6 ohm speakers with a receiver rated for 8?

The only thing I'm really worried about is the center channel.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34158

It's confusing as hell.
I don't know what the hell "the nominal ohms is 4 but that it is compatable with 8 ohms output" means, and I don't know who's telling you to do it here, but never connect speakers with a combined impedance load below the minimum rated on the amp. You can go higher all you want or wire multiple speakers in series to increase the impedance, but using an impedence that's too low will fry the amp.

edit: I looked up the Onkyo 607 specs. The speaker impedance is listed as 6-16ohms. I'm assuming this means 6 ohms is the minimum rating. I don't know why there's a maximum. You're fine with using 6 ohm speakers with that amp. The 8ohm figure in the power output section just shows you how much power it outputs with an 8ohm load. Usually they'll give multiple power outputs for different impedances. Ie: 500w@8ohm, 850w4ohm, 1100w@2ohm.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 7, 2009

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
If there's a better place to ask this, let me know. I'm pretty sure this is hopeless, but I have a stereo I absolutely love that can't play cds anymore (it won't recognize any cd put in) and has no aux input jack. It's not fancy and was inexpensive, but is there any way to have an aux jack put into it?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Magical Ponies posted:

If there's a better place to ask this, let me know. I'm pretty sure this is hopeless, but I have a stereo I absolutely love that can't play cds anymore (it won't recognize any cd put in) and has no aux input jack. It's not fancy and was inexpensive, but is there any way to have an aux jack put into it?

You might have better luck replacing the laser for the CD player .. sounds like maybe gravity got to it and its just not focusing anymore..... try leaving the entire thing upside down for an hour and see if it will play then? I know it sounds asinine but just try it...

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
It's worth a shot. Thanks!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I know stuff like your regular component cables and the HDMI cables are pretty much pass or fail, is the same true for optical cable? I'm thinking of grabbing one for a quick link up of my TV to my receiver, and want to know if the Monster XTREME UBER AWESOME CABLE is, unlike its other products, worth the exorbatent price, or if I should just find a $10 somewhere and get the same results.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Pleads posted:

I know stuff like your regular component cables and the HDMI cables are pretty much pass or fail, is the same true for optical cable? I'm thinking of grabbing one for a quick link up of my TV to my receiver, and want to know if the Monster XTREME UBER AWESOME CABLE is, unlike its other products, worth the exorbatent price, or if I should just find a $10 somewhere and get the same results.

Optical == digital. 'Nuff said.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Currently I have a Pioneer 1018AH-K receiver, and a couple of Dali 450 speakers. It's a simple 2.0 setup, but I'd like to upgrade it with a (relatively cheap) subwoofer as well.

Any suggestions? I have no idea what I need, and I'm pretty sure the speakers alone are pretty overpowered compared to the size of my apartment.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
For those of you who listen to music through a home theater system with surround sound, do you just listen to it in stereo? I have 7.1 hooked to my Pioneer 1018 and I'm streaming MP3s to my PS3. It defaults to Stereo, but I can go through tons of different options to make it surround. Some sound obviously wrong, but I'm wondering if there is a de facto choice or if it's blasphemy to matrix it to surround?

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
I know a lot of you love the av123 speakers, they're having a crazy sale right now where you get an EL525 5.1 system (pair of towers, pair of bookshelfs, center, and one of their MWF15 subwoofers) for $999. Check out the forums on their site for the details. I would jump all over this if I had the cash right now. :(

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Can anyone recommend a good shelf system for around 100 bucks? I know that that's way off from the usual 500 dollar receiver talk that's usually going on, but I'm just looking for something small and uncomplicated.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

helsabot posted:

Can anyone recommend a good shelf system for around 100 bucks? I know that that's way off from the usual 500 dollar receiver talk that's usually going on, but I'm just looking for something small and uncomplicated.

Back when the Sonic Impact T-Amp and the Insignia bookshelf speakers from Best Buy were both $30-40 each, that combination was THE recommendation at under $100. They've since more than doubled the prices for both items which may skew the value equation a bit.

If you're buying new at around $100, there really isn't a whole lot of differentiation between most products besides cosmetics. If you're up to buying used, your options could open up substantially.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 10, 2009

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

BattleHork posted:

Back when the Sonic Impact T-Amp and the Insignia bookshelf speakers from Best Buy were both $30-40 each, that combination was THE recommendation at under $100. They've since more than doubled the prices for both items which may skew the value equation a bit.

If you're buying new at around $100, there really isn't a whole lot of differentiation between most products besides cosmetics. If you're up to buying used, your options could open up substantially.

So if I were to find a good deal on that amp, all I'd have to do is plug in a discman and I'd be set?
Or, what are some used options for around 100? I want something small and unobtrusive - I used to have a 7.1 system but got sick of speakers/speaker wire everywhere

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

helsabot posted:

So if I were to find a good deal on that amp, all I'd have to do is plug in a discman and I'd be set?
Or, what are some used options for around 100? I want something small and unobtrusive - I used to have a 7.1 system but got sick of speakers/speaker wire everywhere

It looks like Parts Express has this amp http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380 which has pretty much the same specs and price as the original T-amp (and includes the power supply this time) so that's still an option. The Insignias are more expensive than they used to be, yes, but are still at least as good as anything else in that price range.

Used options would be "whatever's on your local craigslist." You could easily get a 70s/80s vintage receiver and speakers for under $100. This might not meet your "small" criteria depending on the speakers available though.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Not sure if this belongs in this or the software thread, but...

What's my best option for playing FLAC on my PC? Are there any good WMP plug-ins, or is there a better stand alone player?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

McKracken posted:

Not sure if this belongs in this or the software thread, but...

What's my best option for playing FLAC on my PC? Are there any good WMP plug-ins, or is there a better stand alone player?

I am pretty sure that the authoritative FLAC-listening-to goon answerTM would be Foobar 2000.

Dodger
Jun 7, 2007
I got an old receiver, JVC R-X300, from one of my co-workers for free and I'm looking to slowly develop a small sound system for my tv, nothing extravagant. The plan right now is to get two front speakers, then when I have more money get a better receiver. I don't think I'll ever get a 5.1/7.1 system but that might change. I was thinking of picking up a pair of the Klipsch VB-15 speakers, although I don't really know what I'm getting myself into. Is this a waste of time without having a better receiver? For the same price is there something else I should be considering? Do I need anything more than a receiver, such as an amplifier? I don't really know much about this and didn't want to waste my money. Thanks for the advice.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
In about a month I'm moving from a house to an apartment. I'm taking this opportunity to renew my TV and to get a sound system for the first time, but I'm unsure about what kind of system to invest in.

Since a subwoofer is pretty much out (the building is old but extremely well kept and there are neighbours above, under and to my right) I'm considering 2 speaker stereo systems as an alternative to full surround.

My budget for speakers is fairly similar to the TV, so around 2000 Canadian dollars in total (excluding the receiver). What brands and models should I be looking at? Is there a difference between 2c speakers and 5.1 fronts (I've seen the word full-range floating about)?

For reference, the room I want to put the speakers in is 16' by 15' and I mostly game with the odd blu-ray here and there.

Edit: Receiver suggestions would also be kind of nice. I don't want to shut myself out of upgrading to full 5.1/7.1 one day, so would the oft-recommended Onkyo 607 be a good choice?

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I recently started getting some disposable income and would like to get a decent sound system. I'll mostly just be using it to listen to CDs or maybe MP3s from my computer. The problem is, I don't know what to do other than to search 'stereo system' on Amazon.

So if you goons could point me in the right direction that would be great! I'm looking to spend between $2-400. Not anything too extreme but something better than what I would find in the electronics section at a Wal-mart. Any literature on the subject would be much appreciated as well.

Darwin Divider
Sep 11, 2004
This is where we separate the men from the monekys
I'm looking for a new set of earbuds. I've had the Skullcandy Smokin' Buds for the past year or so, but the cord finally gave way. I was pretty satisfied with them, but I imagine there's better quality out there and I'm willing to put down $100-200 on a new pair. Anyone have any recommendations? Some of the ones I'd been looking at online were the Shure Se 115/210's, the Klipsch Image S4's, and the Monster Turbine In-Ear Speakers. I'm not a fanatic on sound quality, so if there's something for 80 bucks that's just as good that's cool, but if $100-200 can get me that next step up I'd be leaning that way.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Monoprice is having another sale on banana plugs, so I'm wondering if I should switch over. Can I use banana plugs in my existing spring clamp style connectors, or should I get some female sockets and bust out the soldering iron? I eventually will own a stereo with better sockets, but in the meantime it'd be nice to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

sund posted:

Monoprice is having another sale on banana plugs, so I'm wondering if I should switch over. Can I use banana plugs in my existing spring clamp style connectors, or should I get some female sockets and bust out the soldering iron? I eventually will own a stereo with better sockets, but in the meantime it'd be nice to get by.
Banana plugs are for binding posts. Spring clamps are for consumer audio stuff, binding posts are usually for high-power pro audio, especially for older amps that don't have Speakon connectors.

You can't use banana plugs in spring clamps because they plugs are too big. Unless you're unplugging and replugging in your speakers often, there's no point in switching.