Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apr 24, 2008

trill rear end posted:

new jam yall

Hey this is great. That big fat riff is just awesome and the stucture is great too.

This is something I did recently, I'm still pretty amatuer but I really like this one. Needs a couple more layers though, I wanna put some vocal samples over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
I figure this would be the best place to ask rather than making a new thread: I recently bought a Vestax VCI-100 that comes with Traktor 3 LE, and it works perfectly fine with that. Yesterday I decided to upgrade to Traktor Pro, but now it will not detect any input from the VCI or even show that it is plugged it. The device shows up on the MIDI setup menu and in the OSX MIDI Instrument utility, but no amount of restarting or installing will get it to show up in Traktor Pro. It still shows up and works fine with LE after installing Pro.

Has anyone had this problem or know what to do?

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Why can't I midi-map the crossfader in Ableton? It will only let me bind the the center, left and right positions but won't let me bind the just fader. I've looked on google with no luck... Help?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What mode is the crossfader in?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anacostia posted:

Why can't I midi-map the crossfader in Ableton? It will only let me bind the the center, left and right positions but won't let me bind the just fader. I've looked on google with no luck... Help?

It let me do it with a pot on an Oxygen8.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
It's weird, it basically won't let me select the crossfader arrow. Like I only have the option of midi mapping left right center. It's probably something weird to do with ableton 8 and windows 7. The mode the crossfader is in doesn't seem to effect it.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
I'm trying to reduce latency on a digital piano (yamaha dgx-205) connected via usb to my pc and ableton 8. the latency isn't too extreme but just enough to be annoying while playing - what I'm trying to do is figure out how to reduce it. I'm using the soundcard built onto the motherboard (since I can't use my firewire interface on this desktop because the pci port is covered by the huge video card!) but I still expected there to be no noticeable latency since this is a 3ghz core2duo desktop. any tips on improving the latency with this setup?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ProdigalSon posted:

I'm trying to reduce latency on a digital piano (yamaha dgx-205) connected via usb to my pc and ableton 8. the latency isn't too extreme but just enough to be annoying while playing - what I'm trying to do is figure out how to reduce it. I'm using the soundcard built onto the motherboard (since I can't use my firewire interface on this desktop because the pci port is covered by the huge video card!) but I still expected there to be no noticeable latency since this is a 3ghz core2duo desktop. any tips on improving the latency with this setup?

I'm no expert but if you're using onboard sound the delay is probably coming from the audio output latency of your soundcard. Switching to something with ASIO support should reduce it considerably.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
ASIO is pretty much required but if it's not possible you may be able to reduce the latency to tolerable levels by reducing the size of the buffer in the audio preferences menu, I think you can get away with around 128 samples, not sure, it's been a while since I used DirectX sound.

duggimon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 1, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Try ASIO4ALL.

quake_and_quake_and
Jan 10, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Despite my worries about the way my song sat in audacity, I've dispelled my fear by pulling up a Danger song and doing a side-by-side comparison. Apparently I'm doing it right!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

quake_and_quake_and posted:

Despite my worries about the way my song sat in audacity, I've dispelled my fear by pulling up a Danger song and doing a side-by-side comparison. Apparently I'm doing it right!

what the gently caress are you on about

quake_and_quake_and
Jan 10, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

what the gently caress are you on about

didn't know you could safely have it sit at 1.0 db like that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
If your track looks like that its going to have next to no dynamics and probably sound like rear end hth.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

quake_and_quake_and posted:

If you don't know if you're doing right, then you probably aren't.
Is your song distorting or is it compressed?
Are you comparing your unmastered or mastered work with the Danger-song?
Also, the waveforms say little about the actual sound at that level of detail.
And the waveforms say nothing about the frequency spectrum or the stereo-image or the perceived loudness.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

If your track looks like that its going to have next to no dynamics and probably sound like rear end hth.

so danger sounds like rear end? or most any electronic song?

Counterlogic
Mar 31, 2006
A young pathfinder with too much on his mind.

oredun posted:

While the original poster quoted was making a gross generalization, your counter-comment is even grosser. Even take away the shameless respect for the masked man you pose before question mark #1. Seriously dude, it gets better out there, in the "electronic song" world or whatever you must be referring to, and by better I don't even mean better, I mean in that in no way could you begin to make an argument about "most any electronic song", much less concerning how the compacted digital waveform view of "most any electronic song"(s) look. ... Done.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Any time the waveform hits the top or bottom, you are losing sound data and making your track sound cheaper and less complex. Reduce your levels to avoid clipping, then amplify later in mastering etc. A properly mixed and mastered tune always sound bigger and better than a clipped to poo poo one.

Damien
Jun 21, 2003

Terrible Horse posted:

Any time the waveform hits the top or bottom, you are losing sound data and making your track sound cheaper and less complex. Reduce your levels to avoid clipping, then amplify later in mastering etc. A properly mixed and mastered tune always sound bigger and better than a clipped to poo poo one.

Sorry to butt in, and also if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread, but is there a anywhere near comprehensive guide to mastering that can be found online, especially geared towards DAW users or electronica in general?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Damien posted:

Sorry to butt in, and also if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread, but is there a anywhere near comprehensive guide to mastering that can be found online, especially geared towards DAW users or electronica in general?
I'd like to know this also.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I'm looking for a pitch shifting VST plugin that doesn't cause a bunch of latency. Does this exist, for free or otherwise?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I'd like to know this also.

http://www.tarekith.com/assets/mastering.html

i dont know poo poo about mastering but the ableton forums like this one and seems like its pretty good advice, who knows though.

Counterlogic posted:

While the original poster quoted was making a gross generalization, your counter-comment is even grosser. Even take away the shameless respect for the masked man you pose before question mark #1. Seriously dude, it gets better out there, in the "electronic song" world or whatever you must be referring to, and by better I don't even mean better, I mean in that in no way could you begin to make an argument about "most any electronic song", much less concerning how the compacted digital waveform view of "most any electronic song"(s) look. ... Done.

i have no idea what youre even saying but ok, sure i agree.

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007
I've just started playing around with Ableton Live and I've got a question about triggering sounds in session view. Here is my situation: I have a song and an acapella of that song, most gigs, I just play the song straight through, but occasionally, I like to fade over to the acapella and get just the vocals.

The acapella isn't the same length as the song either, so they have to play in sync. This is relatively simple in Traktor, but I'm wondering how it should be accomplished in live. After about two hours of fiddling, I think what I want to have happen, is for there to be some marker in the song that, when triggered, causes live to drop to the next scene, which includes the acapella playing, muted, timed and ready for mixing. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this, please tell me how.

Thanks a tonne guys!

Oh, also, I'm looking for Traktor Pro key mappings for a Korg NanoPad, if anyone's got them.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

I don't think I've ever posted anything here for criticism, but this was a collaboration with a friend and he insisted :)

It's a little acid ditty made with Audiorealism Bassline 2 and some 808 samples. Any thoughts?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Damien posted:

Here's the guide: learn how to mix your poo poo right and hire someone for mastering. Seriously. Not to be glib, but that's the best way to do it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

oredun posted:

Yes Danger does sound like rear end. Oh also, just for comparison, this is a track from squarepushers latest EP that was released earlier this year

In conclusion gently caress you.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Surprise, most electronic music clips to poo poo and back.

charmides
May 22, 2007

by elpintogrande
here is my baby. what do you guys think?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Stux posted:

Yes Danger does sound like rear end. Oh also, just for comparison, this is a track from squarepushers latest EP that was released earlier this year

In conclusion gently caress you.
Ya, he doesn't make hard music anymore. He's made 30-something graphic designer music for the last like 6 years on WARP RECORDS, of course its not gonna have a gnarly wavesform.

Not trying to defend Danger (who's not popular anywhere but on SA i don't get why he gets name dropped all the time), far from it.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

charmides posted:

here is my baby. what do you guys think?

Is tindeck hosed up and sped up your track or is it suposed to sound like that?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

KaosPV posted:

Is tindeck hosed up and sped up your track or is it suposed to sound like that?

It's likely that the MP3 is at a sample rate other than a multiple of 11025Hz (Flash shits itself in that case)

charmides
May 22, 2007

by elpintogrande

Computer Jones posted:

It's likely that the MP3 is at a sample rate other than a multiple of 11025Hz (Flash shits itself in that case)

I think you guys just aren't at my level of style.

it's not a lovely sample rate, I made sure to make everything peachy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya, he doesn't make hard music anymore. He's made 30-something graphic designer music for the last like 6 years on WARP RECORDS, of course its not gonna have a gnarly wavesform.

Not trying to defend Danger (who's not popular anywhere but on SA i don't get why he gets name dropped all the time), far from it.

This is that track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-EW53XVkM&fmt=18

Anyway even his stuff like Go Plastic or DYKS or w/e isn't overcompressed to hell. Neither is stuff off of Hard Normal or anything. Like none of his stuff is. My point here is quake and quake and is a human being.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya, I don't know what I was saying cuz squarepusher always had had really clean, well defined production even on his jungle stuff. But I think talking about any like aphex or squarepusher or those kinda dudes isn't gonna really elucidate that much about electronic music in general cuz those dudes are doing their own thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7hzN-I0Xjo

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 2, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

This is like listening to Venom in 2009. It's awesome but I'm all like pfffft people used to think this was "extreme"? :smug:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya, I don't know what I was saying cuz squarepusher always had had really clean, well defined production even on his jungle stuff. But I think talking about any like aphex or squarepusher or those kinda dudes isn't gonna really elucidate that much about electronic music in general cuz those dudes are doing their own thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7hzN-I0Xjo

well if its a better comparison even chainsaw calligraphy by 16bit is less compressed than both quake and quake and and danger :smug:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Stux posted:

well if its a better comparison even chainsaw calligraphy by 16bit is less compressed than both quake and quake and and danger :smug:

Music made for nerds to sit down and listen to at home while they smoke up is pretty different to stuff that tries to squeeze as much volume out of a nightclub PA as possible.

Level of compression is an awful metric for quality of music anyway

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

the wizards beard posted:

Music made for nerds to sit down and listen to at home while they smoke up is pretty different to stuff that tries to squeeze as much volume out of a nightclub PA as possible.

16bit is a dubstep artist...

edit: also if you havnt been to a squarepusher/aphex/whoever gig you shouldnt post on a music forum.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

this was basically my point, despite how terribly i worded it.

Stux posted:

edit: also if you havnt been to a squarepusher/aphex/whoever gig you shouldnt post on a music forum.

because youve seen a certain band or artist youre so much smarter and more sophisticated than everyone else?...so i guess 99% of everyone here should leave so you dont have to deal with their ignorance? seriously man, listen to yourself thats plain ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

oredun posted:

this was basically my point, despite how terribly i worded it.

because youve seen a certain band or artist youre so much smarter and more sophisticated than everyone else?...so i guess 99% of everyone here should leave so you dont have to deal with their ignorance? seriously man, listen to yourself thats plain ignorant.

look man just because you're wrong and listen to a poo poo artist who over compresses his tracks doesn't mean you need to be a gay baby about it. and i wouldnt really say name dropping well known electronica artists like aphex twin or squarepusher is me trying to be smarter or more sophisticated, it was pretty obvious i was just pointing out that people can and do go out to gigs etc where that type of music is played. mayhaps one should stop being a homosexual child goon sire?!

• Locked thread