Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
oh come to think of it, he took ages to regenerate last time, didn't he? like, he came bakc in parts

HKR posted:

I would totally forgive Rich stopping the webcomic and focusing on only putting out books every year or two if it stopped discussion like this.
yes, because it's not highly likely that the state of these effects will play a direct role in the immediate plot, or anything

i mean it's possible that boney-sue will just own everything, but if he doesn't, there's likely to be some kind of plotline about the soulbox, or the lich regenerating, or someting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

happyelf posted:

i mean it's possible that boney-sue will just own everything,

Stop that. Xykon isn't the self-insertion character.

The Demon Roaches are.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New Strip

The bird gets to be badass. Though I'm surprised V has no feather falls, at least.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hasn't the bird expressed a disinterest in dying on a mammal's behalf?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sefer posted:

New Strip

The bird gets to be badass. Though I'm surprised V has no feather falls, at least.

Amusingly enough, spells like that do exist:

Spell Compendium, pg. 130, posted:

LAUNCH ITEM
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 0
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One Fine item in your possession, weighing up to 10 lb.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You cause a Fine item in your possession to fly at great speed to a target or location you specify, out to medium range (100 ft. + 10 ft./level).

This spell is normally used to launch dangerous items (flasks of acid, thunderstones, and so on) farther than you could normally throw them. You can use this spell to make an attack with a splash weapon. If you choose to do so, you must make an attack roll as normal, but you suffer no penalties for range.

Doubt he has that prepared, though!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Now I bet that's small enough that the imp can teleport it!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Shavnir posted:

Now I bet that's small enough that the imp can teleport it!

Cloister!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

DoctorTristan posted:

Cloister!

The rift is within Cloister's area of effect.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

DoctorTristan posted:

Cloister!

Ah right. Well then V, lets see those cantrips.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Cabbit posted:

Amusingly enough, spells like that do exist:

Doubt he has that prepared, though!

OOTS is the only source of DnD info I've ever had, but isn't Transmutation V's barred school, anyway?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

DrakePegasus posted:

OOTS is the only source of DnD info I've ever had, but isn't Transmutation V's barred school, anyway?

No, that's conjuration.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
It's strange that I don't want them to actually succeed. Xykon is awesome and I'm kind of rooting for him here. At least, he should be way too badass to be foiled by V's stupid bird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If he can be foiled by a stupid bird, he was never really badass, was he?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm guessing if they actually get to toss it into the Snarl the magic is gonna go nuts and something crazy is gonna happen.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!

DrakePegasus posted:

The Werle posted:

No, that's conjuration.

And Necromancy, I believe, seeing as you have to have two of them. V was firing off a ton of transmutation spells in Azure City's battle (Mass Bull's Strength, MAss Enlarge Person, etc.)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So if getting killed by the Snarl destroys your soul, does this mean that the destruction of the phylactery (which holds Xykon's soul) results in making Xykon an undead abomination that cannot regenerate again once he's destroyed?

He can't just forge another phylactery if that poo poo goes down, can he?

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
The phylactery debate is more annoying than the alignment debate. Fact.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Featherfall maybe?

EDIT: Dammit so close... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ShadowCatboy posted:

So if getting killed by the Snarl destroys your soul, does this mean that the destruction of the phylactery (which holds Xykon's soul) results in making Xykon an undead abomination that cannot regenerate again once he's destroyed?
That seems to be the plan. They can't kill him, but they can make him morttal.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Which would probably add considerably to the drama.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Uh just so you're all clear, Xykon's soul is not presently in the phylactery, it's in Xykon's body.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Goffer posted:

Featherfall maybe?

EDIT: Dammit so close... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

We know V has featherfall in her spell book- she used it when she was polymorphed into a lizard. We don't know whether she prepares it when she can speak, though. I'd hope so, since it's one of those just in case spells that every wizard can have, but I don't remember her using it in any other case.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!
This comic has been on loving fire for the last few weeks.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Did 3E remove the constitution/hp loss if a familiar is slain? That would have been a hilarious way for V to die.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

oobey posted:

Uh just so you're all clear, Xykon's soul is not presently in the phylactery, it's in Xykon's body.

True, but it going into the rift is a pretty serious setback that even Xykon has to take seriously.

If the phylactery is destroyed by the rift, then he's gotta waste a good amount of time making a new one, and he's pretty vulnerable in the meantime.

If it isn't destroyed, then that means that if he's destroyed, then his body will reform inside the rift, which will probably be a Bad Thing for him.

Either way, I don't see him wanting to leave the house for a while.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

DoctorTristan posted:

Did 3E remove the constitution/hp loss if a familiar is slain? That would have been a hilarious way for V to die.

Yeah. You lose XP instead.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nilbop posted:

Wait, why is he keeping O-Chul alive at this point? Doesn't he already know where the gate is?

Redcloak convinced him that knowing something of the defenses of the next gate would be useful. He also refuses to admit that O'Chul actually knows anything, so they just keep torturing him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, Redcloak hates the Sapphire Guard with a burning passion and probably very much enjoys having one around to torture.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

Redcloak convinced him that knowing something of the defenses of the next gate would be useful. He also refuses to admit that O'Chul actually knows anything, so they just keep torturing him.

Also, saying, "Sorry Xykon, we can't go to the next gate until I finish torturing the Paladin, I'd be done by now if you didn't keep playing games with him," is a great excuse to stick around the city and do administrative things. Redcloak finally has a goblin city, and isn't going anywhere until the place is self-sufficient.

Augustus
Oct 10, 2004

God damn it.
The solution to all of V's problems has existed this entire time. All that time V wasted on divination magic was pointless. V could have contacted Durkon using his/her own powers without relying on anything else.

V had a God damned familiar and everyone forgot, including the readers, the characters, and even the damned wizard in question. The familiar could have been sent to find Haley. The familiar could have asked Durkon for help. The familiar could have fixed it, but it wasn't important because it wasn't a spell.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Augustus posted:

The solution to all of V's problems has existed this entire time. All that time V wasted on divination magic was pointless. V could have contacted Durkon using his/her own powers without relying on anything else.

V had a God damned familiar and everyone forgot, including the readers, the characters, and even the damned wizard in question. The familiar could have been sent to find Haley. The familiar could have asked Durkon for help. The familiar could have fixed it, but it wasn't important because it wasn't a spell.

OK, few questions.

Why would she want to talk to Durkon? In fact, why would she have needed powers to talk to him? She could just go up on deck and say hi. How would the raven find Haley? If it found Haley, why wouldn't she just shoot it for Belkar to cook? Once the raven found Haley, how would it find its way back to Vaarsuvius? And what help of Durkon is V desperately missing? Besides the obvious answer of, very shortly, a raise dead.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Augustus posted:

That's the joke. Have you ever known a wizard or sorcerer who remembered about their familiar most of the time?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
My former group's wizard did some excellent work by delivering touch spells via familiar and scry on it. Basic stuff that comes with having a familiar, but very useful they way he utilized them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You know the familiar can just fly high above the snarl and drop the thing in. Of course then Xykon might be able to intercept it on the way down.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Xykon could just laugh at the whole thing and shoot down the bird without too much trouble.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Affi posted:

Xykon could just laugh at the whole thing and shoot down the bird without too much trouble.

Imagine if V lost a level because of the XP loss, that would prompt another gloating from Xykon no doubt.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
V's gonna lose more then a level, you know, when Xykon kills them both. They have no chance to survive. Wonder if they'll become zombies.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I wonder how much time has past during this whole thing so far. 3 minutes? I wonder when they flip back we'll see Roy up and walking around. I know there is no way to have them get there and help them out though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All this phylactery discussion. This reminds me of some funny poo poo that went down in a game of mine.

Our group wizard wanted to eventually become a lich, and was mostly insane. He wasn't evil or anything, he just wanted to be a skeleton man(note this was a mid to low level character, there was absolutely no chance of him ever accomplishing lich-hood). During one excursion some dark goblins(like the duergar of goblins) burned down a house and we went to take them out. We killed the goblins, except one was knocked out.

Well, our wizard decided instead of killing the Goblin, he would 'domesticate' him, and kept charming the hell out of him. He only taught the goblin one word of common "phylactery". Which he would always pronounce phonetically: "phiii- lact- tooor- reeee". He routinely let the charm spell run out to see if the goblin had been properly domesticated yet, and then go catch him if he rebelled.

Our GM eventually ruled that the continuous low level charm spells constantly cast on him over the course of a game-year combined with repeated head trauma gave the goblin a brain tumor and he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha. Throwing an item? Who needs that? All V needs is MAGE HAND.

Haha.