Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

FuzzyDunlop posted:

My peppers are doing the exact same thing. We've had tons of rain, cloudy days, and too many cool nights. The past weekend when it was in the high 80s with plenty of sunshine has perked them right back up, the leaves have almost completely straightened out and there are now little baby peppers on them.
Although we have had a good amount of rain in the form of almost daily or every other day thunderstorms, we have had warm-hot weather with lots of sun other than the 30 minutes or so that the storms last. After checking them out again today I see lots of the little round thing that remains after the blossom falls off, but still not peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I have a groundhog. Now, I am not exactly used to wildlife, so I don't know what to do about it, or squirrels for that matter. I refuse to kill or poison them (I do get why people do it, not going all PETA crazy, I just won't personally). I don't really care about my grass dying, would dumping a barrier of used kitty litter around my patch do anything? Do any of those commercial pestaway type sprays work? What about shiny pinwheels? I watched him for a while because he was awfully cute--he seemed to be moseying around the lawn looking for dandelions, and only eating those, which is awesome! I'm worried about when fruit starts setting though. I don't really have to know-how to build a fence or money for a commercially made one, plus they borrow and squirrels are crafty enough to get through them. Rabbits and deer aren't a problem. My squirrel plan was to give them water (they like vegetables for water, right?) when it gets hotter in this little weedy cove on the other side of the yard, they can dig up whatever bulbs are planted there and wreak general havoc, I'm not bothered about it.

So...how worried should I be about it?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My grandfather had success using ammonia on rags on his garden in Virginia, but we ultimately were only really successful shooting them. One of his draft horses tore her leg up pretty bad in a hole and we declared groundhog genocide for the summer.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HeatherChandler posted:

I have a groundhog.

Groundhogs eat slugs and snails, I wish I had a groundhog. Do they also eat the veg shoots or baby veg? edit sorry I was thinking of hedgehogs!

I planted out another couple of trays of salad veg plus some garlic yesterday. The garlic I got originally never sprouted, I think it had been dry too long when I got it.

Everything else is growing crazy but a bit wilted because we've had a week with no rain (in the UK). I've let my baby tomato plants die off and the goji berry plants have died but I think I have some sprouts from seeds (I planted some of the dried berries I got), I'll have to take care of those. I haven't kept up with the microgreens, they've gotten a bit big or died off. I get a bit lazy with the gardening sometimes :( but had to get another batch of salad leaves going, the first set of plants will all be dead in a couple of weeks...

Viet Timh
Apr 16, 2009

HeatherChandler posted:

I have a groundhog.

If you have a dog or a friend with a dog you could try tutts of the dogs hair and spreading it around the edges of your garden. The smell is supposed to keep rodents away.

I haven't used this myself as I don't have a rodent problem where I live, but my parents always ask me to keep the tufts that I brush out of my dog so they can use them in their garden. There's a big problem with rabbits and groundhogs where they are, but it seems to work for them.

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007
I planted my first garden this year. My 4 yr old son had a ball helping my friend with his garden so I figured it would give us something to do together. Every day after work we go out and work in the garden, he loves to see the developing plants and secretly I'm just as amazed!

We planted

tomatoes
corn
canteloupes
watermelons
cucumbers
bell peppers
onions
jalepenos
green beans
squash
sunflowers.

The cucumbers are going like crazy! We harvest 4-5 everyday with no end in sight! We harvested our corn and it was amazingly sweet, but we had a late frost which stunted their growth. The stalks never grew over 5' tall, some were as small as 3'. The tomatoes are out of control, easily 4' tall at this point and absolutely loaded with tomatoes, though none have matured yet. We even got our first sunflower head yesterday...these babies are well over 8' tall. WOW

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tehlump posted:

I planted my first garden this year. My 4 yr old son had a ball helping my friend with his garden so I figured it would give us something to do together. Every day after work we go out and work in the garden, he loves to see the developing plants and secretly I'm just as amazed!

We planted

tomatoes
corn
canteloupes
watermelons
cucumbers
bell peppers
onions
jalepenos
green beans
squash
sunflowers.

The cucumbers are going like crazy! We harvest 4-5 everyday with no end in sight! We harvested our corn and it was amazingly sweet, but we had a late frost which stunted their growth. The stalks never grew over 5' tall, some were as small as 3'. The tomatoes are out of control, easily 4' tall at this point and absolutely loaded with tomatoes, though none have matured yet. We even got our first sunflower head yesterday...these babies are well over 8' tall. WOW

Beautiful pictures. I’m so jealous of your long growing season.

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Beautiful pictures. I’m so jealous of your long growing season.

Yeah, try living in SE Texas in August and get back with me! :-)

My wife is cold averse or I would be seriously considering a move to Alaska or Montana.

I began mowing my yard Valentines weekend. I planted my garden in early March. The cool thing about the long growing season is I will replant everything about late August or so and have a whole new garden before the first frost, typically mid-late November.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tehlump posted:

Great garden.

Everything looks wonderful. I have never seen such short stalks of corn. Thats amazing that the ears were still good to go.

I am not taking any pictures since not much has changed, but I am continually getting more peppers (none have fully ripened yet, so I haven't pulled any), and I have my first little tomato. My bell pepper still sucks, I do not know what its problem is.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tehlump posted:

Great garden.

Everything looks wonderful. I have never seen such short stalks of corn. Thats amazing that the ears were still good to go.

I am not taking any pictures since not much has changed, but I am continually getting more peppers (none have fully ripened yet, so I haven't pulled any), and I have my first little tomato. My bell pepper still sucks, I do not know what its problem is.

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

The corn was about 2' tall when we had our last frost. It was a little later than I expected, it appears to have stunted their growth. The corn stayed at that height for about 2 weeks then started growing again but as you can see they never reached their full height.

The ears that I have been able to harvest all seem normal with the exception of being slightly smaller than I would have expected with normal growth. Great flavor though!

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007

Viet Timh posted:

If you have a dog or a friend with a dog you could try tutts of the dogs hair and spreading it around the edges of your garden. The smell is supposed to keep rodents away.

I haven't used this myself as I don't have a rodent problem where I live, but my parents always ask me to keep the tufts that I brush out of my dog so they can use them in their garden. There's a big problem with rabbits and groundhogs where they are, but it seems to work for them.

another suggestion that may get you arrested:

I sneak out at night and walk around the edge of my garden peeing. :-)

I have the materials needed to build a fence I just haven't got around to it. I figured the strong scent of man musk may keep the rabbits away!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tehlump posted:

another suggestion that may get you arrested:

I sneak out at night and walk around the edge of my garden peeing. :-)

I have the materials needed to build a fence I just haven't got around to it. I figured the strong scent of man musk may keep the rabbits away!

Although there is nothing that prevents you from peeing into an empty bottle and pouring it out, I admit that walking around late at night and spraying everything in sight is a lot more fun :)

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

I don't have man-musk, but I've been eating asparagus daily since it is in season and on sale for really cheap, so it still might scare them away. Not sure if I can squat and shuffle at the same time. Neighbors already think I am weird, for sure.

I guess kitty litter is the same concept, animal urine, so I think that is the first thing I will try. Plus the whole stinking of ammonia thing.

osukeith: I was going to post a picture of all my pepper fruit sets but now I just feel bad about it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Instead of urinating all over everything, how about planting onion, shallots and garlic around the edges of your garden? I've read it helps keep cats out, might work for other animals too.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

If you were talking to me, I wouldn't really pee in my garden, haha. Not much of a naturist me.

I have already been playing around with drawings for new arrangements for next year, maximize space so I can actually fit in some onions and garlic, which I would do in the border for that very reason. I really cocked it up a bit this year. Nothing I can do about it now though, and that really is getting under my skin.

Groundhog was back today, again picking through the grass looking for weeds. I think I might name him. He is so cute I'll never be able to get rid of him, look what I've done.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 3, 2009

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Corn shot silks out like overnight. Squash had giant rear end orange flowers this morning. I picked some of the bigger peppers so maybe the plants can get a bit bigger, they seemed to be too small to have so many and numerous peppers on them. How close are these size wise to being "big enough"? Also bonus kohlrabi. Not sure how big these are supposed to be either.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

ChaoticSeven posted:

Corn shot silks out like overnight. Squash had giant rear end orange flowers this morning. I picked some of the bigger peppers so maybe the plants can get a bit bigger, they seemed to be too small to have so many and numerous peppers on them. How close are these size wise to being "big enough"? Also bonus kohlrabi. Not sure how big these are supposed to be either.

Kohlrabi should be a lot bigger - around the size of a good apple. It's a nice veggie :)

Also holy poo poo, tehlump... that garden is incredible! Your son will have great memories of eating all of that food, and he looks pretty proud of those cucumbers there. Do you have time to put some pumpkins in the ground for halloween? That would be a fun treat!

I'm so jealous of you guys :( All of my plants are putting out leaves really nicely but you guys have full-on 8 inch cucumbers and I have stunty little vines with 5 leaves. My strawberry took to its pot right away though, and seems to be off to the races.

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007
TM-Now I'm panicking, I thought I read that pumpkins are planted mid-late summer for Halloween picking! I'm going to have to check the seed pack again. I promised Mason we'd plant pumpkins for halloween. Thanks for the compliments, I really have no idea what I'm doing, as proof I planted the green beans and cucumbers too close together, now I can't fit in between to harvest all the green beans!

Regarding me urinating all over everything, well, I'm not urinating on the garden, I'm urinating on the grass surrounding the garden. It's not like I'm giving the cucumbers a dirty sanchez or anything, I'm not teabagging the tomatoes...:-)

I figure if I'm peeing outside anyway, I might as well gain the benefit of my status as the apex predator in my neighborhood!

tehlump fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 3, 2009

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

tehlump posted:

TM-Now I'm panicking, I thought I read that pumpkins are planted mid-late summer for Halloween picking! I'm going to have to check the seed pack again. I promised Mason we'd plant pumpkins for halloween. Thanks for the compliments, I really have no idea what I'm doing, as proof I planted the green beans and cucumbers too close together, now I can't fit in between to harvest all the green beans!

Regarding me urinating all over everything, well, I'm not urinating on the garden, I'm urinating on the grass surrounding the garden. It's not like I'm giving the cucumbers a dirty sanchez or anything, I'm not teabagging the tomatoes...:-)

I figure if I'm peeing outside anyway, I might as well gain the benefit of my status as the apex predator in my neighborhood!

When is your first frost? I've think that you want them ready before first frost because you can store them somewhere dry for a few months, but frost makes them rot quicker. I think this is only a problem in northern zones, which judging by your progress you certainly are not. Depending on how far south you are now-early July should be fine. Think a week for the seed to germinate, a month to start vining and flowering, and 100 days for fruit to mature.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Thanks for the suggestions on replanting my peppers instead of having them on top of the tomatoes.

I'll be doing that tonight before they get much bigger. All of the peppers and the tomatoes seem to be doing really well and getting BIG.

tehlump
Aug 7, 2007

HeatherChandler posted:

When is your first frost? I've think that you want them ready before first frost because you can store them somewhere dry for a few months, but frost makes them rot quicker. I think this is only a problem in northern zones, which judging by your progress you certainly are not. Depending on how far south you are now-early July should be fine. Think a week for the seed to germinate, a month to start vining and flowering, and 100 days for fruit to mature.

OK, thanks so much for the help.

FYI-I live about 150 miles from the gulf coast. SE Texas. I would imagine that the first frost around here will take place in mid-late November if not December.

Here's another question: Would it be possible to plant another round of sweet corn now? The daytime highs are in the 90's now with overnight lows in the 70's. It will get much hotter. I figure about 70 days for harvest so that would make it early August...would corn survive the extreme daytime heat?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting some garden beans to sprout. This is the 4th time I've tried to plant them. At this point, I don't really care if I get a harvest out of them, I just want to solve the problem:

Each plant has thus far sprouted with completely devoured seed leaves, and thus died shortly after poking up. The few plants that have survived with enough leaf intact have continued on without any trouble, so there has to be something in the dirt devouring the leaves before they have a chance to see the light of day.

After a little bit of digging, I found large number of pill bugs in the bean box. After googling around, it seems like the only way to get rid of them is to remove the conditions that attract them in the first place. I can't really let the soil dry out (they breath through primitive "gills," to they have to live somewhere moist) without killing everything in the box already. There shouldn't be anything rotting in the box for them to munch on, but the boxes are made of wood.

So, in short: Are pill bugs killing my beans, and if so, how do I get rid of them?

Rooster286
Dec 18, 2000

Dr. Rooster Smart, PhD

HeatherChandler posted:

I have a groundhog. Now, I am not exactly used to wildlife, so I don't know what to do about it, or squirrels for that matter. I refuse to kill or poison them (I do get why people do it, not going all PETA crazy, I just won't personally). I don't really care about my grass dying, would dumping a barrier of used kitty litter around my patch do anything? Do any of those commercial pestaway type sprays work? What about shiny pinwheels? I watched him for a while because he was awfully cute--he seemed to be moseying around the lawn looking for dandelions, and only eating those, which is awesome! I'm worried about when fruit starts setting though. I don't really have to know-how to build a fence or money for a commercially made one, plus they borrow and squirrels are crafty enough to get through them. Rabbits and deer aren't a problem. My squirrel plan was to give them water (they like vegetables for water, right?) when it gets hotter in this little weedy cove on the other side of the yard, they can dig up whatever bulbs are planted there and wreak general havoc, I'm not bothered about it.

So...how worried should I be about it?

Hey groundhog buddy. I just had one move in under my retaining wall in the back yard. He has escape holes in my yard and the 3 adjoining yards as well. Chicken wire is dirt cheap and just requires a few stakes and some elbow grease to dig down a bit before installing.

Check out this link
http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/wildlife/index.php?subject=Mammals&id=77

I dont mind his presence however if he eats the garden or otherwise destroys things he is getting a pellet in the head.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

tehlump posted:

OK, thanks so much for the help.

FYI-I live about 150 miles from the gulf coast. SE Texas. I would imagine that the first frost around here will take place in mid-late November if not December.

Here's another question: Would it be possible to plant another round of sweet corn now? The daytime highs are in the 90's now with overnight lows in the 70's. It will get much hotter. I figure about 70 days for harvest so that would make it early August...would corn survive the extreme daytime heat?

don't worry about my questions, I don't know jack all... all of your plants are far bigger than anything I managed to grow last year! I just saw the little kid and thought pumpkins would be totally awesome :)

What should I do with my lettuce? It's got huge floppy, yellowing leaves. If I take them off will I grow more lettuce or less lettuce?

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
When is it too late to fertilize a garden? My plants are probably nearing full size, is that too late?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

SKeefe posted:

When is it too late to fertilize a garden? My plants are probably nearing full size, is that too late?

Well, it depends what you want to feed and with what. You could apply a liquid fertliser, but it could cause plants such as tomatoes to put more effort into foliage than they would into fruits. Or you could apply a nutrient rich mulch like good quality compost around the base of your plants and let the worms do the work.

My peas have their first flower today!! Of course, my jubilation was quickly ruined as I stepped backwards onto a rusty nail. Dear god ow. Ruined my brand new flip flops with a puncture wound :(

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

My damned peppers aren't hot at all. I don't mean "lol look at how tough my mouth is you pussy" while eating habeneros not hot. I mean they are literally funny shaped green bell peppers as far as heat is concerned. Not even a tingle, nothing. Jalapenos and serranos both. I found a jalepeno this morning I'd missed somehow and it was almost 3 inches long and big around as my giant thumb. I just ate it seeds and all, funny shaped bell.

Maybe it's just the fact they were so small and we had so much excess rainfall. I think I'm just going to pick every single pepper and bloom off all the plants and let them start over.

Edit: I found a hot jalepeno. I picked it off and just chomped down on it like the others and it was hot. So I got a drink of water.

Also look at this loving mutant squash, if I eat this it'll probably give me cancer or something:

ChaoticSeven fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 4, 2009

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

ChaoticSeven posted:

Maybe it's just the fact they were so small and we had so much excess rainfall. I think I'm just going to pick every single pepper and bloom off all the plants and let them start over.

I think both are reasons for the mildness. Fully ripened peppers have the most capsaicin in the seeds and are the hottest. And too much rainfall (as well as too little) can definitely have a big effect on the hotness. I get lots of rainfall in the spring where I live as well, and the later peppers during the dryer summer months are much hotter. This is also due to the increased heat and more developed plants later in the summer though. I think starting over and cutting off the peppers and blooms is a good idea. Hopefully we'll get through this unusually wet spring soon.

Edit: My peppers did much better when I planted then in a better drained area, and mixed a bit of sand in with the dirt.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

The uglier the vegetable the better it is, I am convinced. That's why those grocery store tomatoes taste like cardboard, because they are too even and round. That ugly squash will be a sophisticated soiree in your mouth.

Highly scientific stuff.

My slicers have set fruit. I was expecting a few blossom drops from my very late season varieties, but we haven't had a spring at all, winter went straight to summer. My lettuce is bolting, but oh well when there are tomatoes.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've got about two dozen tomatoes and have lost count of the cukes. One end of my garden is trying to take over my bean trellis with their runners. Cucumber is like tasty kudzu. The ones I have trained are almost 6' tall and festooned with little baby cukes. It's the rest of them that are the problem.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

DISASTER.

Today was about 3c the whole day with rain, hail, and snow.

I'm pretty sure my tomatoes are dead... everything else looks like it's doing sort of alright except one cucumber which bit the dust as well. So I did was seemed logical, took them all inside to my kitchen to warm them up with the space heater.

warm up, little guys...

my tomatoes just look miserable :( I don't have a lot of hope for them.

At least the kohlrabi and strawberries still look perky!

that loving sucked!

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Oh my God you poor thing. Between the state of the plants and snow in loving JUNE I think I'd be bawling right now. :gonk:

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

Chajara posted:

Oh my God you poor thing. Between the state of the plants and snow in loving JUNE I think I'd be bawling right now. :gonk:

Well, yesterday was just a wet sleet. But this morning I looked out to a romantic snowfall and it's everywhere. I'm glad my lilac tree has its leaves, it is sheltering my front garden, and all of the veggies are inside. The tomatoes look a little happier - and now that I managed to turn the furnace back on, the warm house should help them out even more today.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Anyone know what these ants are doing and if they are harming my cayenne pepper plant?

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
Things are going so much better than I thought.

I guess this means that the two replacement cucumbers (my only casualties so far and due to me) are some sort of climbing type, I did not know that was even an option. Advice on a proper support is appreciated.

The weather has been very warm and sunny so far. The onions were being thrown out by a supermarket, they had seven onions that had completely taken over one pot. I figured as a root vegetable they would survive the ripping apart. I crammed them in between the strawberries and peas.

Come on corn you can beat the odds.

Tomatoes seem completly happy, wait until Western Washington weather returns.

:siren: A mole has found my raised garden :siren:

ChuckHead fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 8, 2009

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Sunburned tomatoes: Leave the burned foliage, is what I've read.

Climbing cucumbers: Just about anything. You can by cheap nylon netting and string it up, build something out of bamboo like I did, get a length of wire fencing and attach each end to some metal fence posts. Or just let them climb around willy nilly.

Spent all afternoon today tilling and hoeing. Man, I need to sharpen my hoe or something, the whole edge is like the blunt side of a butter knife. Got me some broccoli and a bell pepper I picked off, the plant was so small the pepper was bowing the while thing over.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

LTBS posted:

Anyone know what these ants are doing and if they are harming my cayenne pepper plant?

The ants shouldn't be (directly) harming your plants. However, the reason they are there could potentially be bad. Ants basically use aphids as livestock, "milking" honeydew from their butts. Aphids suck the juice out of new foliage on the undersides of leaves and along the stems. If there are too many aphids, it can stunt that plant's growth.

Look again and see if you can see any other bugs besides ants. Look closely, as some aphids have great camouflage.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

LTBS posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Some species of ants "farm" aphids, protecting them on the plants they eat, eating the honeydew that the aphids release from the terminations of their alimentary canals. This is a "mutualistic relationship".

These "dairying ants" "milk" the aphids by stroking them with their antennae.[12][13] Therefore, sometimes aphids are called "ant cows".

Some farming ant species gather and store the aphid eggs in their nests over the winter. In the spring, the ants carry the newly-hatched aphids back to the plants. Some species of dairying ants (such as the European yellow meadow ant, Lasius flavus)[14] manage large "herds" of aphids that feed on roots of plants in the ant colony. Queens that are leaving to start a new colony take an aphid egg to found a new herd of underground aphids in the new colony. These farming ants protect the aphids by fighting off aphid predators.[13]

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture, anyway. :) So yeah I don't think the ants are directly hurting your plants but you might want to check them for aphids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I looked all over and couldn't see any other bugs on there. Its only on one plant and there are little dark spots that the ants are hanging out at.