Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
So I went to shinny this morning (ok not really THIS morning since it's past midnight), woke up nearly 20 hours ago and still have some steam left. Found out I could get another hour and a half of ice time on Saturday mornings for a clinic but unfortunately it's only for 2 more weeks. Also going to start training daily with plyos/cardio/full body since I managed to make up a good schedule, though nothing goalie specific, it's all for better performance for anything, really.

The best news came this afternoon when I finally worked up the guts to send an email to the team I didn't make this past season (UCONN - ACHA D2) and I'm glad I did it. They had 2 goalies graduate, so there's 2 spots that are open for tryout...ers. I'm keeping a positive attitude about this since out of the 7 last tryout, I (believed) I was one of the top two out there even with a 2 week old sprained ankle. Now assuming that the guy that was better than me got the other spot last season, I will have moved up in the tryout department and with a healed ankle, performance training, and another excellent summer camp, I should loving dominate the tryouts. No one try to bring me down by saying that the other guys are going to be getting in better shape than me so they can outperform me on the ice because this good mood is going to fuel me for the rest of the summer into getting in shape. :colbert:

e; what the hell, second page in a row I accidentally pagesniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just played my first league game in literally two years as a sub for another goalie in a pretty high level league.

I was pretty nervous but I honestly think the butterflies helped focus me. I played a really good game and we came out 7-2. It didn't hurt that I basically had a five goal lead to work with for most of the game, but I made some pretty good stops. Biggest difference between these games and the shinny I play weekly is that the defense is actively working down low so most shots come from the slot or the point where I have ample time to see them and play the angle. I made a pretty nice toe stop after I got mad mad mad beat on a cross crease play.

Now I'm hankerin' for more league play. It's a completely different atmosphere from shinny.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Turns out I had mono while playing in that tournament, I'm still coming down from it and wow it sucks to be so low energy. I guess it makes it easier as I'm waiting for my ZeroG pads. Aniki have yours come in yet?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Turns out I had mono while playing in that tournament, I'm still coming down from it and wow it sucks to be so low energy. I guess it makes it easier as I'm waiting for my ZeroG pads. Aniki have yours come in yet?

My pads were supposed to arrive on the 22nd, but they aren't here yet. I just gave the Brian's rep a call, so hopefully I'll be able to find out if the pads have been shipped yet.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Finally got picked up by a team looking for a goalie. Had my first game last night and it was honestly the best I have ever played. We were tied 1-1 in the end of the 2nd...my defenseman is behind the net and decides he's going to clear it. Instead of using the boards, he uses the back of my leg. Puck goes in. We lose 2-1. He felt loving horrible, but I still felt great since I played so well. This hockey...I enjoy it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Finally got picked up by a team looking for a goalie. Had my first game last night and it was honestly the best I have ever played. We were tied 1-1 in the end of the 2nd...my defenseman is behind the net and decides he's going to clear it. Instead of using the boards, he uses the back of my leg. Puck goes in. We lose 2-1. He felt loving horrible, but I still felt great since I played so well. This hockey...I enjoy it.

Which rink are you playing at?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Which rink are you playing at?

Ice Den

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Aniki posted:

My pads were supposed to arrive on the 22nd, but they aren't here yet. I just gave the Brian's rep a call, so hopefully I'll be able to find out if the pads have been shipped yet.

I checked with Behind the Mask and Brian's is running a week or two behind right now, which I guess makes sense considering how popular their new product line is, but my pads are scheduled to ship next week and then it will probably take a week or so for them to get here from Canada. I like their equipment enough that it's worth the wait, but I am ready to retire my old leg pads.

On the plus side, my new skates should be getting here soon, so at least I'll have some time to evaluate the skates on their own merrits before my leg pads arrive.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 30, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played for a little over two hours early this morning and I spontaneously started catching pucks in front of my body. I think I am starting to gain a lot of confidence in my glove hand and now I am actively trying to catch the puck instead of hoping it somehow gets in the path of my glove. I don't know why it's taken nearly two years for me to develop this ability, but I'm starting to follow the puck much better off of the stick and my glove hand is getting stronger every time I go out on the ice.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I magically made progress in a few weak spots tonight as well. I made a ton of right toe and blocker saves I would have had no chance on a week ago. I'm also starting to get comfortable playing the puck in the situations where it would be dumb not to (eg a dump gets to you first with one forechecker and no D in sight). I still suck at using my stick to steer low shots wide, especially blocker side. I've also redeveloped the habit of always recovering with my left leg :(

I think I can finally say I would feel completely comfortable playing on a beer league team. Too bad three other goalies are looking for teams too.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 31, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just played my first real game. Right as I was finishing a practice, someone asked me to be an emergency sub. It was a C league team vs. a 12-0 team that should really be B or A. My team had five shots all game. At least I met my goal of keeping them to single digits. 9-1 :sigh:

The undefeated team :woop:ed and hollered after every single goal, shouting insults at my team on the way to the bench when it was already 7-1. "THAT'S RIGHT! HOW DOES IT FEEL?" There was something like 60 minutes of penalties, not including a two-handed slash to the knees of one of the guys on my team right in front of the ref that wasn't called and two of the other team's guys jumping out from their bench and joining a fight, again with no call. My team also let me face a two on none break and let them take two rebound shots before they finally decided to come back and help (apparently they stopped playing because they thought a high stick should have been called). At least the other goalie was cool. We skated out to center ice during a five minute brawl and joked about "Are we supposed to square off at center ice now? I guess so.. let's go"

It was entertaining to say the least.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

i saw a post a while back about someone sewing what looked to be plastic on the insides of the pads. I just got a pair and was wondering how to go about doing this. Will be playing on a plasticy surface for floor hockey and possibly practice outdoors.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

El Mariachi posted:

i saw a post a while back about someone sewing what looked to be plastic on the insides of the pads. I just got a pair and was wondering how to go about doing this. Will be playing on a plasticy surface for floor hockey and possibly practice outdoors.

PenguinManAmato, who I think now goes by Tim Thomas, is the one who put together the guide for making and installing slide plates. They are supposed to work pretty well and his guide was very well put together and easy to follow.

I need to wait to hear back if they still have spots available, but I decided to go ahead and sign up for a goalie clinic. I only have 1.5 hours of formal training, which I received through a free inline goalie clinic a year and a half ago, so getting a chance to get some real coaching should be a big help. I feel like I have made some nice strides, especially with my trapper play the last few times I've been out on the ice, but I know there is a lot that I'll need to work on, so this should be a good start. I just can't wait to see how much of an rear end I'll make out of myself.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'm in need of a new mask and I'm really unhappy with the selection at Perani's "Largest store in the world" Hockey World. Can anyone recommend some decent stores in the Windsor-and-slightly-beyond area I could drive to some weekend? I'd do this online, but I'm really uptight about my equipment fitting right and want to try stuff on first.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
First shutout last night. :woop: Bout drat time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

First shutout last night. :woop: Bout drat time.

That's awesome. Was it a close game?

Also, my G-50s arrived in time for my goalie camp tomorrow. I am going to get them heat molded after work today and I am going back and forth on whether or not I want to replace the stock footbeds, since the footbeds in the G-50s aren't supposed to be as good as the footbeds in their player skates, but I'll see. I'm not sure if a goalie camp is the best place to break-in/adjust to new skates, but the thought of trying to go through skating drills in my old skates is enough to keep me up at nights. I'll try to post pictures later.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

That's awesome. Was it a close game?

Also, my G-50s arrived in time for my goalie camp tomorrow. I am going to get them heat molded after work today and I am going back and forth on whether or not I want to replace the stock footbeds, since the footbeds in the G-50s aren't supposed to be as good as the footbeds in their player skates, but I'll see. I'm not sure if a goalie camp is the best place to break-in/adjust to new skates, but the thought of trying to go through skating drills in my old skates is enough to keep me up at nights. I'll try to post pictures later.

3-0. Close enough, I suppose.

Crap, I completely forgot about signing up for that camp.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know what's going on in my games lately but I start off on fuckin' fire, but after 30 minutes I just start giving up goal after goal after goal after goal. I don't want to blame my defense getting tired or anything so I'm trying to focus on what I can do.

It's just kind of a kick in the nuts that I can ROB players blind for the first 20 minutes and then just turn into an incredible sieve. Thankfully this is all shinny for now. The few league games I've played we've won in ridiculous blowouts like 11-2 and 9-1.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

3-0. Close enough, I suppose.

Crap, I completely forgot about signing up for that camp.

3-0 is close enough where your team probably didn't control the puck for the entire game, so that definitely sounds like a respectable shutout.

They still have spots available and I am not the only adult to sign up, so it won't be as weird as the one previous goalie clinic I attended where it was me and a bunch of 13-year-olds.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I don't know what's going on in my games lately but I start off on fuckin' fire, but after 30 minutes I just start giving up goal after goal after goal after goal. I don't want to blame my defense getting tired or anything so I'm trying to focus on what I can do.

It's just kind of a kick in the nuts that I can ROB players blind for the first 20 minutes and then just turn into an incredible sieve. Thankfully this is all shinny for now. The few league games I've played we've won in ridiculous blowouts like 11-2 and 9-1.

I have a tendency to do that as well. I think part of it is that my conditioning needs to get better and I imagine that most shooters have a pretty good read on a goalie after 30 minutes of open hockey.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that's most likely true. Plus I found that playing an actual game gives me the butterflies-in-stomach feeling still, and the nerves kind of keep me on my toes for the entire game. Helps me focus much more than a bullshit shinny where nobody cares if you give up two or twenty.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

There are no pickup games or open practices scheduled in my area for at least two weeks :( Also a sixth goalie just posted on the local beer league forum looking for a team.

It's awesome that the last ice time I'll get for a month was a 9-1 loss unless I want to drive 60 miles two ways.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, your story kind of reminds me -- I feel like kind of a dick. The goalie we beat 11-2; between the second and third periods we skated past each other and I tried to say something encouraging like I liked his pad stack (cause he did make some amazing pad stack saves), but I kind of feel like I came off like a condescending douche. I think in that situation I'd rather just not hear from anyone really.

I think next time I might just shut my fuckin mouth and skate to the bench with my team instead of to the other net right away.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, that's most likely true. Plus I found that playing an actual game gives me the butterflies-in-stomach feeling still, and the nerves kind of keep me on my toes for the entire game. Helps me focus much more than a bullshit shinny where nobody cares if you give up two or twenty.

Shinny is just a different mindset. You teach yourself to stay calm and not worry about how many goals you give up and while that is better than freaking out and breaking a stick over a pick up game, you do lose some of that feeling of energy and intensity that you get when the score counts and you are going up against a team that you hate.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2009

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

ManicJason posted:

It's awesome that the last ice time I'll get for a month was a 9-1 loss unless I want to drive 60 miles two ways.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up. The nearest rink for me is 45 or so miles away. Even better? I totaled my car a mile away from the rink the last time I went there... and I was only going for a sticktime to work on skating.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

You teach yourself to stay calm and not worry about how many goals you give up and while that is better than freaking out and breaking a stick over a pick up game

Ugh, I gotta tell you I've had those games too. It usually depends on who's playing. Everyone I play with is really nice, but there are a couple of guys that -- when they come out -- really push my buttons. Usually it's the kind of guys who go end to end and deke twenty times before going top shelf, then Ovechkin into the boards. Not too bad until it happens five or six times in the span of three minutes. On the odd chance I make the stop it's always "awww rough ice in front of the net" or something :rolleyes:

Anyway, I try to keep it all in perspective. A few hotshot goals isn't worth $90 on a new stick, though I've come close a few times :haw:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

It was kind of funny hearing the words of encouragement from the team I was subbing for after the seventh or eighth goals. Honestly I was not upset at all. I let in two bad goals (plus one that went through a hole in my webbing, oops) and most of the others were ones I could have had if I was on, but I had played a game the night before and just got out of an hour and a half practice not to mention it being my first real game, so they weren't happening. They were trying really hard to keep me from offing myself before the game ended or something. "It's OK dude you made some awesome saves." "The game would be 16-1 if you weren't playing really well." I'm learning to tell the difference between actual compliments and the ones people say to try to keep the bipolar goalies from :suicide:. Same deal with the "great save goalie" on stopping the floater straight to my chest after letting in a goal.

My favorite goal I let it was one where I made a desperation save on a rebound and somehow got my right skate stuck on top of my left pad. I flopped around on the ice for a couple of seconds trying to figure out why I couldn't get up before I finally freed the skate. Doing that somehow bent my thigh board straight down into my knee, causing me to not really be able to stand up. The puck went right under my arm pit as I rolled over toward the play, completely helpless. Nothing like that has ever happened and hopefully it never will again. I still can't figure out what exactly happened.

I know communication was mentioned a few times in this thread, but I was curious how much you all vocalize defensively. If your D is leaving someone all alone in the slot, I'm assuming I should shout something like "watch the slot" even though that seems just as effective at alerting the offense. I've also been calling out stuff like "2 on 1" or "watch the late guy" even though I am again not sure if it's really helping my team more than the offense.

I'm finally getting a little comfortable with using my very basic vocabulary to help the breakout (time, on you, heads up, skate, boards, hard around, move it). One thing I couldn't figure out is how to alert one D being pressured to pass across to his partner. The guys I were playing with were absolutely horrible at finding the partner on their own and tended to just cough the puck straight up the middle. I couldn't figure out a quick way to say 'pass across to your partner.'

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ManicJason posted:

Doing that somehow bent my thigh board straight down into my knee, causing me to not really be able to stand up.

I've never had anything but problems with thighboards, right from day one. It took about two months before I pulled those fuckers off. Unfortunately it also took another year before I invested in some kind of knee protection, which was a really dumb thing. No stories of pucks hitting me defenseless or anything, but it could have been a lot lot worse.

When I bought my RBKs I unlaced and pulled out the thighboards on the subway ride home :laugh:

quote:

:words: Vocalizing :words:
[

I just assume that the other team knows where they are on the ice from practice or playing together so I really only worry about warning my own team. If someone's camping in the slot I'll just yell SLOT! SLOT!, backdoor is BACKDOOR! BACKDOOR!

2 on 1 is 2 ON ONE 2 ON ONE, dumpins with a chaser I'll typically just yell ONE COMING SLOW/FAST/HURRY HURRY or just YOU GOT TIME if the chaser is hanging back.

The other thing is that while it might warn the other team where to shoot it might also technically give you the advantage. If you can get the other team to pass to where you called out then you're not going to be surprised by a shot. I know that if I yell SLOT SLOT I'm fully expecting the pass to the open man in the slot anyway sometime soon. If I can get them to take the pass before they're ready maybe I can get my stick on the pass in the lane or at the very worst I'll be somewhat prepared for it.

As for defense, I usually try to help quarterback the play in the other end so I'll yell things like USE YOUR POINT or PASS ACROSS, though I question how useful I'm being.

The only other thing I can think of is yelling 2 ON 1, 2 ON 1! if the guy is going in at a tough angle full speed and might not know he has a trailer or an easy pass.

I'm not sure why I repeat everything twice, but that's how I've learned to work it.

quote:

I couldn't figure out a quick way to say 'pass across to your partner.'

I'd just yell "USE YOUR D" or "OTHER POINT". Honestly though, I remember playing out and blocking out just about everything people yelled if I was focusing on being pressured or worrying about my own play so with some players you can probably bring a bullhorn and megaphone and still not affect the play.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 5, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got to try out my Graf's on the ice today. I should note that yesterday I decided to replace the stock footbeds with yellow SuperFeet and I got the skates heat molded. It took the drat things 40 minutes to cool down, but at least so far the time spent letting them cool seems to have been worth it. The first thing I noticed is that my feet and ankles felt much more solid in these skates, I can move around much easier and my ankles don't feel like they are bending inward every time I take a step. Secondly, getting skates that were a full size bigger and that run wider than Bauer's was a good decision. I tried on the Bauer One 75s, but those were still too narrow for me and the Graf's seem to be a better anatomical fit for my foot. Thirdly, I have a lot more power in these things. My T-Pushes are much stronger and moving around the crease is much easier than in my old skates. Finally after an hour and 15 minutes of going through drills I experienced no pain or discomfort in my feet, which is a big deal, since normally by that point I am fighting through discomfort and my skates becoming progressive looser as the tongue would rotate out towards the side of my ankles. Overall these appear to be a much better fit for me, they felt like they were already broken in and as I adapt to these skates, they should give me much better mobility than I had in my old skates.

As for the goalie camp, it was very movement oriented on the first day. We spent a lot of time working on T-Pushes, recoveries, T-Pushing into butterfly slides, and butterfly slding while starting in a butterfly. The T-Pushes I did well on, though I am still adjusting to getting more power in my pushes. With the recoveries, I discovered that I always seem to recover with my right leg, which is not a good thing. T-Pushing into butterflies went well and butterfly sliding on the ice is going to take some time for me to get used to. It's easier to get a good grip on the ice with my new skates, but I really need to get used to the movement.

I also discovered that I keep my trapper up too high while butterflying. Part of it was that I am trying to play with more of an active hands approach, but on blocking saves I need to focus on keeping my glove down so that I don't leave any holes in my blocking surface. I am not sure what we are going to work on tomorrow, but so far the camp seems to be worthwhile.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We focused on the same things for the second day of the camp. I am having trouble with hip rotation, my hips have a good range of motion, but I seem to have the hips of a lovely cornerback right now. It just takes me too long to rotate and change directions, though I should be able to get better with that on time. Also, going from a T-Push to butterfly slide or from a standing position to butterfly sliding isn't too bad, but I have trouble sliding when I start out in a butterfly. I think that I am keeeping the leg I push off with at too much of an angle, which means I can't dig into the ice and get any power on my pushes. I just need to keep experimenting with different leg positions until I find something that works for me. They are going to add some more gamelike situations next week so it should be interesting to see how I fair and hopefully my new pads will have finally arrived by then.

I think I am going to try and get out on the ice again on Sunday and continue working on what we focused on in practice and see how these methods fair for me in more of a gamelike setting. It seems to be helping, but it is hard for me to judge my progression in a practice environment.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
How snug is/are your foot/heel straps? I used to have the same issues till I loosened them up, before I wore them as tight as I could strap them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drat your Graf review, now I can't stop thinking about the near non-stop pain in my feet when I play <:mad:>

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

How snug is/are your foot/heel straps? I used to have the same issues till I loosened them up, before I wore them as tight as I could strap them.

I put my boot strap though the back hole of my skates and I still keep it somewhat snug. I used to keep it as tight as possible, even to the extent of adding extra holes on my boot strap and now I strap it to the point where it is just starting to get resistance. I can try wearing it looser or even feeding through the middle of my skate tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Martytoof posted:

drat your Graf review, now I can't stop thinking about the near non-stop pain in my feet when I play <:mad:>

I know what you mean, it amazes me how much pain and discomfort I suffered through with my old skates. I know that a lot of people find the One 75 and One 95s to be comfortable, but at least for me they were still too narrow and no one in town carried them in a E/wide size, so I can't say how those skates would be if I could actually try on the proper size. It was a little amazing that when I did buy new skates they were a full size bigger and were wider than my old skates. I don't know causes pain with your skates, but if they are too narrow then Graf, RBK, and CCM skates all come wider stock than Bauer. I haven't tried on CCMs, but my understanding is that they fit similary to RBKs, but if they don't, then blame the local hockey shops in Phoenix for carrying a very small selection of goalie skates.

I will say that the combination of Graf's and SuperFeet I am using now seems to be a big improvement, but so far I've only used them for two 1 hour and 15 minute sessions. I would normally be in pain at that point anyway with my old skates, but the true test for me will be how my feet hold up to 2+ hours on the ice. If I can do that without any unusual discomfort, then I will be really happy with these skates.

One thing I will say is that I am having trouble stopping with my new skates, I don't know if Majer sharpened them at something duller than 1/2" or if it has something to do with the shorter blade or the different boot changing the angle of my foot/ankle when I stop, but that is something that is a little harder for me to do right now. Though to be perfectly honest, I suck at stopping anyway, so maybe that is just down to me being a terrible skater.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 7, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think my next investment will be a new pair of skates. Right now they're literally the oldest part of my kit, inasmuch as I haven't actually changed them since the day I started playing goal. The only part of the deal that's still original :haw:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Still no foot pain or discomfort after playing three days in a row with the Graf skates. I actually feel like I could go out and play again if I wanted to. I was only out for about an hour and 15 minutes again, so I still want to see how my feet and skates handle a really long hockey session.

That being said, I had a crappy open hockey session this morning. There were a lot of skaters and a couple really good players and I was the only goalie. The big thing that I need to confront right now is that I need to work T-Pushing more and butterfly slides into my games. There were a lot of instances where I should have made those save/movement selections, but I would either drop too early or rely way too much on extending my leg out as far as I can. The latter isn't a bad desperation save, but I need to work on getting my whole body to the puck and not just hoping I can reach it with my leg. I really shouldn't be too surprised, it is a big change in philosophy and movement compared to what I am used to doing, so hopefully I will improve with time and repetition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I posted this before but I kind of feel like to be a better goalie at this point I need someone to completely deconstruct my game and build a new one from scratch, or I'll just fall into old bad habits.

As far as Grafs go, does anyone know if the older skates are still known for good fit? I know Duke's always had one or two used pairs in the pre-owned section every time I went down there -- that might not be a bad investment until I can put down cash on a brand new pair.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I posted this before but I kind of feel like to be a better goalie at this point I need someone to completely deconstruct my game and build a new one from scratch, or I'll just fall into old bad habits.

As far as Grafs go, does anyone know if the older skates are still known for good fit? I know Duke's always had one or two used pairs in the pre-owned section every time I went down there -- that might not be a bad investment until I can put down cash on a brand new pair.

I know what you mean. I still feel like I have a major street hockey/inline streak in my game and even though I exclusively play ice hockey now, it feels like a lot of the habits and reactions I developed before playing ice hockey have stuck. I think this is why my ground game is underdeveloped, since with inline and street hockey I became accustomed to not really being able to move once I hit the ground. Now I am trying to work on recoveries whether it be recovering from a butterfly into a butterfly slide, or a T-Push to the opposite side of the crease, or even T-Pushing into a butterfly, I just can't do that automatically yet. However, since I never really did those things before, I developed the bad habit of always recovering with my right leg and I am more likely to try kick out/extend my leg or dive than try to move acorss the crease in a controlled manner. I think what I really need to do is slow myself down for a while, force myself to always recover with the proper leg, and just work on moving around the crease like I am supposed to. I think what killed me today, is even though I know what I need to do, I was playing at full speed and when I play at full speed, I rely a lot on reactions and muscle memory, so the process of changing my reactions and developing the muscle memory for the new moves is what I am facing.

I will say that I am not sure what to think of playing with more of a blocking butterfly. I know that's the point of a butterfly, but I've been playing with more of an active hands approach, so I may keep my gloves up a little higher, but allows me to get my hands on more pucks. Where as with the blocking butterfly at this point, I can get my body on the first shot, but it is not as easy to control the puck, and with the different glove positioning, I found that I had a lot of pucks bouncing off my trapper today. I'll at least experiment with the different glove positioning for a little while and while I can see how it offers a better blocking surface, since there's not the gap between my leg pad and trapper, it is hard for me to tell if I will stop more pucks that way or if I am better off trying to control the shot rather than just trying to get my body on the puck.

As for the skates, I know some people claim that the padding on Grafs wears down after a couple of years and other people have absolutely been in love with used Grafs. I guess what I would do in your position is try on as many pairs of goalie skates as you can. Figure out which brands, size, and width you prefer and try to find a used pair of those skates in good condition. You are at least in Hamilton, so you should be able to find just about any skate that you want, but just make sure that whatever skate you get, it is the right size for your foot. If it's too short, it will force you to curl up your toes and cause tendon issues, if it's too tight, then it is going to put a lot of pressure on your feet, and I'm not sure what happens if it is too tight or long. You can probably get away with half a size bigger than optimal if the width is right, but I'm sure there are people here that know a heck of a lot more about skates than I do. Also, whatever you get I high recommend getting aftermarket insoles. I never realized how crappy the stock insoles are in skates, even high end ones, so once you find skates try and get a set of Shock Doctor, SuperFeet, or Graf insoles. Between that and baking, it really seems to make a huge difference in the comfort level of your skates.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 8, 2009

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I haven't played in 10 days, I loving hate summer.

I'm gonna end up doing something dumb like getting a new mask done.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Just got back from shinny, I managed to get my first shutout anywhere since the first game of the 07-08 season (granted I only played 4 games this season). Usually when I'm halfway through a game and I've blanked everyone so far, I try to keep the word 'shutout' out of my head, but today, every time the other team got a rush, I was just thinking to myself 'shutoutshutoutshutout' and it seemed to fuel me as I didn't gently caress up royally and made some pretty good stops.

Anyway, I have a mystery for all you fine gentleman: a physics problem that baffled me and my dad.

How is it possible for this to happen? If you can't see it clearly, here's what's going on:
- The string is not tied through the hole, as it should be
- There are no cracks in the shield
- There is no break in the string
- It it physically impossible to double knot the extra string beyond the knot
- Both ends of the string are burned, meaning that it didn't break anywhere past the knot

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

e; vv I should also point out that this happened during the game so no one could have screwed with it unless my eyes were closed.

gco fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone pranked you and undid the string maybe?

That or you've discovered magic in its native habitat.

• Locked thread