Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Been riding my F4i for a couple years now and I've got the bug to upgrade. I've been lusting after a CBR1000RR from around 04-07 vintage--Repsol edition. That would be my dream bike.

The only thing I've ever ridden close to that was my brother's CBR 929RR, but that was a short ride a long time ago and I was still on my Ninja 250 back then so I had little experience and not much to compare it to.

I commute a lot and I also do track days, weekend canyon rides, 2-up trips to the mountains and I want to do some long distance trips soon. I feel the F4i handles all of these tasks really well I'd just like more power a lot of the time. will a 1000rr do as good? Does it feel heavier or less tossable than a 600?
I know I need to get out and ride one, but I'd like some initial advice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm on the fence about going up to my friend's cottage this weekend on the bike. The weather's looking good for the trip up, (high between 18 and 21C and mostly sunny), but 40% chance of rain on the way back. Also going to be something like 4+ hours each way. And I need map bag/luggage/noise blocking earbuds if I'm going to to it. Bike's running well after the carb servicing, but somehow now the brake lights aren't coming on. I can't remember the last time I checked them. Hmm.

And I realized on the way back yesterday that my front light was also out. Turned out to be just a fuse, but yeesh, that's pretty stupid on my part!

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 3, 2009

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I had such a good ride today. Well, it started off a bit iffy. Sort of a failed reenactment of a WW2 landing. I took the channel tunnel across to France, just to see how easy it was (answer: really freaking easy), and like an idiot forgot to fill up in Calais. I made it to Dunkerque, but I ran out of gas searching for a station. I need a GPS. Thankfully I managed to nurse it to within 3/4 of a kilometer from a gas station and only had to walk it across a mall parking lot. That pretty much ate up what little time I had so I cut my losses and headed back to Blighty. Once back on the other side of the road, I found an absolutely beautiful stretch of road (A28/A262) that was almost deserted and had dinner at a little village pub.
But that wasn't the best part.
The best part came when I was back on the M25 heading home, thinking about rearsets and I decided to try out my passenger pegs. Oh my god, it's like they were built specifically for that purpose! Feet on passenger pegs, leaned up over the tank, it's like I found another gear! 85-90mph was actually comfortable and easily maintained! Previously I never really cruised much above 75 because of the wind and vibrations. Downside is boy howdy do you ever burn through gas at that speed!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

And I need map bag/luggage/noise blocking earbuds if I'm going to to it.

If you need a great set of saddlebags and tank bag at a cheap price check these out at Canadian Tire:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Combo%2BSet.jsp

I just bought the set on sale for $62 and I'm really impressed with the quality for the price.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I hate carburetors.
I hate Keihin carburetors.
I hate multiple Keihin carburetors.
I hate Honda for using multiple Keihin carburetors.
I hate rainy 55* days in June.

That is all.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
carburetors are cool

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
When the ambient air is warmer than the evaporating gasoline, then yes, they feel cool to the touch.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
that'd make such a cool tshirt

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

aventari posted:

Been riding my F4i for a couple years now and I've got the bug to upgrade. I've been lusting after a CBR1000RR from around 04-07 vintage--Repsol edition. That would be my dream bike.

I want one too, but not a Repsol. Just the red one.

It will actually be less comfortable than your F4i (OH GOD THE SEAT), and feel even smaller. And have a comparably retarded amount of power.

Do you have a banana seat F4i or not?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

I hate carburetors.

That is all.

Carbs are the poo poo son

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

Carbs are the poo poo son

Carbs are frustrating sometimes because there is this big area between "runs" and "runs awesome" that is completely dependent on cleanliness, jetting, exhaust, intake, and numerous other variables. Depending on the bike "runs awesome" can take forever to get right.

My YDS3 ran great, or so I thought, until I decided to try to fix the hard starting problems with some new pilot jets. Now it runs like a raped ape. Similarly new exhaust gaskets magically added a million horsepower as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Note to people that sell

1. Steel braided hoses
2. Rear shocks
3. Cartridge emulators

ANSWER YOUR drat EMAILS

:f5: :f5: :f5:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8ender posted:

Carbs are frustrating sometimes because there is this big area between "runs" and "runs awesome" that is completely dependent on cleanliness, jetting, exhaust, intake, and numerous other variables. Depending on the bike "runs awesome" can take forever to get right.

My YDS3 ran great, or so I thought, until I decided to try to fix the hard starting problems with some new pilot jets. Now it runs like a raped ape. Similarly new exhaust gaskets magically added a million horsepower as well.

Carbs are the poo poo because you can tune your fueling extremely close without a dyno, sniffer and powercommander. To be truthful, you still need a dyno and sniffer to get carbs really really dialed in, but buying new jets and needle shims for :10bux: is way better than shelling out for a PCIII.

Although to be fair loading a powercommander map over a USB cable is infinitely easier than pulling a rack of carbs and futzing with jets.

Futzing with jets and fueling is half the fun for me though so carbs are the poo poo.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
If I had to pull, adjust and reinstall a bank of carbs multiple times in a day I would shoot someone.

My friend better have a lot of beer on hand for me when we gently caress with his Bandit's jetting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Skier posted:

If I had to pull, adjust and reinstall a bank of carbs multiple times in a day I would shoot someone.

My friend better have a lot of beer on hand for me when we gently caress with his Bandit's jetting.

Eventually when you get really good at it, it doesn't take that long anymore. I got to the point where I could get to the carbs in under half an hour on my E, when I was trying to fix a broken CA air valve with jetting changes. :sigh:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Even 1/2 an hour is a long time when you can just plug in your laptop and type in some new settings.

Carbs are for luddites, brosephs

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

aventari posted:

Even 1/2 an hour is a long time when you can just plug in your laptop and type in some new settings.

I had an old school PC, serial port. That was a pain in the rear end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

aventari posted:

Hatin on carbs is for people who are confused by anything that doesnt come with a windows interface.

E: and its never just "type in some new settings". Its not like theres a toggle switch in the software that you can switch from "run bad" to "run good".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just prefer the "works right in the first place" kind of fuel delivery system. I should never have to worry whether the engine is getting the right amount of gas. If the bike starts running badly, it should be a sensor fault, not something actually wrong with the fueling system.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh poo poo, I started a debate! :ohdear:

Weather's nice, I'm in a better mood. I tried to sync my carbs yesterday, and now it starts/idles worse than ever. Gauge needles on 2 & 3 were fluttering like crazy, 1 & 4 were rock steady. I removed the vacuum fuel shutoff (there's a manual petcock), but my >5k RPM misfire is still there. Might be a bad coil or ignitor, I dunno.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phat_Albert posted:

Hatin on carbs is for people who are confused by anything that doesnt come with a windows interface.

E: and its never just "type in some new settings". Its not like theres a toggle switch in the software that you can switch from "run bad" to "run good".

Hey well my o2 sensor allows me to run exhaust mods without having to retune :colbert:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Bucephalus posted:

Weather's nice

Lucky you. It has rained here in NJ every weekday for two weeks and is supposed to rain for a third. If I can't ride my 100 mile a day commute on my new VFR I'm not gonna go to work.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Linedance posted:

I just prefer the "works right in the first place" kind of fuel delivery system. I should never have to worry whether the engine is getting the right amount of gas. If the bike starts running badly, it should be a sensor fault, not something actually wrong with the fueling system.

This right here. The first time I had to pull a carb only to have a small spring go flying across the garage never to be seen again would completely justify the the 200$ for a PCIII USB plus the 45$ for 3 dyno pulls to tune it out. Change the exhaust? Less than 10 minutes with my laptop plugged in and I'm good to go. No rejetting or any other of that horse poo poo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Do you guys have links to some motorcycle blogs? I only check out motorcycle daily and killboy right now. If there's something like jalopnik out there I'd love it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

I removed the vacuum fuel shutoff (there's a manual petcock), but my >5k RPM misfire is still there. Might be a bad coil or ignitor, I dunno.

By "removed" do you mean blocked the hole in the manifold or on the carb? Otherwise you have a barn door vacuum leak. If the gauges are fluttering it probably doesn't point towards ignition, as intake air will be operating normally even if the cylinders are just along for the ride. It could of course also be too little restriction in the hoses to the gauges, as intake pressure is supposed to flutter.

Valve clearances and vacuum leaks = the big deals. Problems upstream of the carb can also manifest themselves in intake problems. Rule of thumb, make sure everything is stock and tight. The theory behind is very :science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance

KidDynamite posted:

Do you guys have links to some motorcycle blogs? I only check out motorcycle daily and killboy right now. If there's something like jalopnik out there I'd love it.

This one, sort of. http://thekneeslider.com/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

I hate carburetors.

That is all.

Well, it could be worse. You could have a CBX :v:

The Superhawk project has been on hold because while it's been nice during the day (while I'm working), every evening about 5 o'clock the clouds move in and it starts pissing rain. Normally I'd be a big fan of this weather pattern but it's keeping me from getting any work done :argh:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

^^ Dude, there's a point where it just doesn't matter anymore. Four Keihin VB's or Six? It's like "Do I want nine children or twelve?" There's no difference after three that you'd notice.

Bucephalus posted:

I hate carburetors.

That is all.

You are now me one year ago.

They're not as bad as you're making them; take them one at a time, clean them as such, make sure the accelerator pump is working properly and clean those little holes too.

The worst part is getting them into and off the bike.

OFF: Use Tie-downs.
ON: Use Tie downs. Also, they will pop into the intakes and they WILL be straight on. Do not second guess this or you will have air leaks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

aventari posted:

The only thing I've ever ridden close to that was my brother's CBR 929RR, but that was a short ride a long time ago and I was still on my Ninja 250 back then so I had little experience and not much to compare it to.

I commute a lot and I also do track days, weekend canyon rides, 2-up trips to the mountains and I want to do some long distance trips soon. I feel the F4i handles all of these tasks really well I'd just like more power a lot of the time. will a 1000rr do as good? Does it feel heavier or less tossable than a 600?
I know I need to get out and ride one, but I'd like some initial advice :)

I meant to reply to this, as I've ridden a couple of CBR1000 generations and owned a 929.

A 1000RR may or may not be as comfortable as your F4i. That's a personal thing that you have to figure out. It doesn't feel a lot heavier or less tossable, and it's got an awesome spread of power all through the rev range. It's probably going to be less comfortable than a 600 for 2 up and stuff. It'd feel like massive amounts of overkill at any of the smaller tracks, my 929 at Streets was decently quick but an exercise in frustration when it came to maintaining and dealing with corner speed and corner exit. I felt like such a newb, all straight speed and no corner speed.

They're really, really good bikes. Excellent first literbikes, as they've got an awesome progressive spread of massive amounts of power. I know of quite a few people who daily theirs, I've just gotten lazy and tired of being bent over a sportbike. I loved my 929, my biggest problem with it was that I just couldn't stop going fast. Picked up a few tickets and realized that doing 130 regularly up the twisties was going to get me killed. It was such a fantastic ride though...I do miss it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 5, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

By "removed" do you mean blocked the hole in the manifold or on the carb? Otherwise you have a barn door vacuum leak. If the gauges are fluttering it probably doesn't point towards ignition, as intake air will be operating normally even if the cylinders are just along for the ride. It could of course also be too little restriction in the hoses to the gauges, as intake pressure is supposed to flutter.

The vacuum port on carb #2 had a nipple in it to operate the shutoff. After syncing, I inserted a spare blockoff screw. I tried to quell the fluttering on gauges 2 & 3 by pinching the hoses with pliers, but to no avail; they didn't calm down until I had closed them off completely. (I also swapped gauges 2/3 with 1/4; it's the cylinders, not the gauges.) After 22k miles with unknown maintenance, the intake valves may be in less-than-ideal condition.

As for the high-speed misfire: does anyone know of an elegant way to test for ignition under load?

Shlomo Palestein posted:

carb tips

Had them off 4? times, they're clean enough to eat from. I can R&R them in <10 minutes now. It's just that I had to unrack them, knocking them out of synch. I'm convinced there's more going on than air/fuel, but the carbs are the only thing I've hosed with, so that's where my attention/frustration is (probably unfairly) directed.

Oh, and I turn wrenches for a living (not on bikes, mind you), so this is not a real confidence booster.

Edit: Being new to this type of machine, I wasn't smart enough to mark which carbs the CV pistons came from. Might one (or more) of them be sticking?

We now return you to less fewer questions and more chatting.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 5, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Man, my local place has a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 for $4500.. that sounds exceptionally low (and no pics are currently available yet). I've also heard they're horrendously uncomfortable, can anyone confirm/deny?

Making matters worse, they have a DRZ400-S (offroad trim) which I'm considering trading my KLR for..

Ahh well, neither of those will probably happen, but I may go up and look at the Daytona, because they're so sexy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Man, my local place has a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 for $4500.. that sounds exceptionally low (and no pics are currently available yet). I've also heard they're horrendously uncomfortable, can anyone confirm/deny?

Making matters worse, they have a DRZ400-S (offroad trim) which I'm considering trading my KLR for..

Ahh well, neither of those will probably happen, but I may go up and look at the Daytona, because they're so sexy.

Probably a salvage title. Very nice bikes, very high seat height and very much a supersport. No worse or better than the rest of them.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
At 6'3" I was very comfy on a Daytona 675. At that price I'd pick it up (assuming it's not a basket case).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bucephalus posted:

Had them off 4? times, they're clean enough to eat from. I can R&R them in <10 minutes now. It's just that I had to unrack them, knocking them out of synch. I'm convinced there's more going on than air/fuel, but the carbs are the only thing I've hosed with, so that's where my attention/frustration is (probably unfairly) directed.

Why did you take the carbs off the rack? That's virtually never necessary. And a bad idea usually. High speed misfires are either bad coils, or fueling problems. I've had both.

Z3n posted:

Probably a salvage title. Very nice bikes, very high seat height and very much a supersport. No worse or better than the rest of them.

Really? I'm supidly comfortable on a 675. And I can get both feet down. Most bikes, I can't do that. They're narrower than any other bike I've seen. Like, dirtbike narrow where the rider is. That may be why i'm comfortable.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 6, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Nerobro posted:

Why did you take the carbs off the rack? That's virtually never necessary. And a bad idea usually.

O-rings on the fuel transfer tubes were leaking. Trust me, I didn't want to. I hope the Loctite on the choke butterfly screws holds. :ohdear:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Z3n posted:

From what I've heard the Daytona is a little better than the rest of them if you want to ride it daily, due to the triple engine instead of the I4. If I remember right, it's got more torque at low end, so it's easier to ride on the roads.

But you're mostly right, it is still a 600 supersport.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Huh, interesting, maybe I'll go up and have a seat on it today, I thought I'd heard (perhaps read -- maybe in the 600SS review on a motorcycle review site) that the 675 was down with the GSXR on comfort. *shrug* I guess ultimately it comes down to personal preference anyways. Seat height shouldn't be a problem, as I'm both 6'3" and a spring-compressing 250lbs. :)

I'm not interested if it's a salvage title though, they're pretty rare over here, but I can wait for the next one.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hello all, allow me to introduce myself. I'm the last CB650 owner on the face of the planet who hadn't removed his air filter cover. I deserve an rear end-kicking, and 100YearsinIraq is first in line.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:roflolmao: I was about to suggest that you try the spark advancers next, but that's a fix we can all live with.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Everything I'd read about it was along the lines of "remove restriction, gain a couple HP", not "ZOMG it's like running with the choke closed!". Last night I happened across an old SOHC/4 thread wherein the dude was seeing the same symptoms I was, and basically rebuilt his entire fuel & ignition systems to no avail. He finally removed the airbox cover, and presto. I don't know how the drat things even ran when they left the factory.
It's not perfect, there's still sputtering/throttle twitchiness around 5500-7500, but I rarely see the other side of 5k, so I'll cope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You should. I always tried to keep mine around 3-5k, but the i4 really likes higher revs. Beat on her a bit and she'll love you for it :whip: I sometimes have that same problem where I'll lose power around 6k when on the freeway (if that won't make you poo poo your pants very little will). Hasn't happened recently but be sure to clean out the vent hole in the gas cap.