Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
MAC Hunt: Your weapons, sh Arp and sh mac-address-table, GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I hope this isn't a FAQ, but I didn't see it in the last few pages (standard grumble about search).

Is there a simple, definitive statement from Cisco anywhere about whether IOS licenses are transferable? If I buy old Cisco gear from, say, eBay, my understanding is that the license isn't transferred, and thus I'd have to buy a new IOS license (which often costs nearly as much as buying new hardware). The Cisco EULA and Terms of Sale seem to support me in this.

If IOS licenses can't easily be transferred, though, why don't they crush all those eBay auctions? Is it because the auction technically is for hardware (which theoretically could be re-licensed), or because they know killing the second-hand market would be a PR nightmare?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Sojourner posted:

"FreeBSD 4.10 (STABLE)
Kernel 2.6.27 on an i686
login:"
That's a linux kernel version, which has nothing to do with FreeBSD. You sure someone didn't just modify the banner to confuse people or be funny?

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

falz posted:

That's a linux kernel version, which has nothing to do with FreeBSD. You sure someone didn't just modify the banner to confuse people or be funny?

It'd be more then a login banner change because the login prompt is different then IOS. Before I left work I checked the mac address that was associated with the IP and it was coming up as a cisco one, and did a quick nmap/zenmap scan and it said the telnet daemon was the cisco version.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
It'll be interesting to see what pops up when somebody plugs a console cable into this thing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Sojourner posted:

It'd be more then a login banner change because the login prompt is different then IOS. Before I left work I checked the mac address that was associated with the IP and it was coming up as a cisco one, and did a quick nmap/zenmap scan and it said the telnet daemon was the cisco version.
Aye, Cisco does say "Username:" or "Password:". For what it's worth I enabled telnet for a moment on a FreeBSD box and it does say "login:". Really this doesn't mean much though. Hopefully someone didn't plant some sniffer on your network that just went haywire.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Sojourner posted:

Make sure you're on the same subnet with the affected device before you go after the mac address. Otherwise you could well be looking at the gateway with your nmap.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

falz posted:

God that would be a dick move and I would be out my :10bux:.

Here's one that will secure anything, the bats do it.

code:
banner motd 
                    |>>>          |>>>>
                    |             |
                    |>>>      _  _|_  _         |>>>
                    |        |;| |;| |;|        |
                _  _|_  _    \\.    .  /    _  _|_  _
               |;|_|;|_|;|    \\:. ,  /    |;|_|;|_|;|
               \\..      /    ||;   . |    \\.    .  /
                \\.  ,  /     ||:  .  |     \\:  .  /
                 ||:   |_   _ ||_ . _ | _   _||:   |
                 ||:  .|||_|;|_|;|_|;|_|;|_|;||:.  |
                 ||:   ||.    .     .      . ||:  .|
                 ||: . || .     . .   .  ,   ||:   |       \,/
                 ||:   ||:  ,  _______   .   ||: , |            /`\
                 ||:   || .   /+++++++\    . ||:   |
                 ||:   ||.    |+++++++| .    ||: . |
              __ ||: . ||: ,  |+++++++|.  . _||_   |
     ____--`~    '--~~__|.    |+++++__|----~    ~`---,              ___
-~--~                   ~---__|,--~'                  ~~----_____-~'
MAC Hunt: Wait, what? poo poo... I swear it was going this way, back up man.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Herv posted:

God that would be a dick move and I would be out my :10bux:.

Here's one that will secure anything, the bats do it.

This is the one I use on my home lab.

code:
       UNAUTHORIZED USERS WILL BE
             EXTERMINATED
                   /           
              ___              
      D>=G==='   '.            
            |======|           
            |======|           
        )--/]IIIIII]           
           |_______|           
           C O O O D           
          C O  O  O D          
         C  O  O  O  D         
         C__O__O__O__D         
        [_____________]        

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it's one of them new fangled Juniper "routers". Mine has a FreeBSD login too :clint:

But seriously, I can't wait to hear what you find out about this new Linux/FreeBSD/IOS hybrid :haw:

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
Now for the thrilling conclusion of Sojous Super Switch Mystery!

Cisco blah blah...wait BSD? this is a screen shot taken when I used a console cable to plug into the switch. In total, there are two switches inaccessible due to this. I need book the time a week in advance to take down those switches to insert a new image with xmodem, but this with all certainty eliminates the possibility of an arp-spoof. Anyone got any ideas (And no, no its not an access point..thats from an older hyperterm session.)

*edit* Third switch found.. an old 2912.
*second edit*
Holy table break batman! Image cut down..

Sojourner fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 4, 2009

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Sojourner posted:

Cisco blah blah...wait BSD? this is a screen shot taken when I used a console cable to plug into the switch. In total, there are two switches inaccessible due to this. I need book the time a week in advance to take down those switches to insert a new image with xmodem, but this with all certainty eliminates the possibility of an arp-spoof. Anyone got any ideas (And no, no its not an access point..thats from an older hyperterm session.)

*edit* Third switch found.. an old 2912.
*second edit*
Holy table break batman! Image cut down..

Assuming you don't mind the switch losing config while you try this:

Plug in console cable, unplug switch, hold down mode button, plug in switch, keep mode button held down until the light above port 1 turns off.

Wait for the "switch:" prompt to appear then type in:
code:
load_helper
flash_init
rename flash:config.text flash:config.old
boot
The switch will boot IOS, say no to the auto configure etc prompts then type:

code:
enable
rename flash:config.old flash:config.text
copy flash:config.text system:running-config
show run | beg banner motd
Marvel at the wonder that is realizing some joker set your banner to the FreeBSD/kernel stuff.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ragzilla posted:

Marvel at the wonder that is realizing some joker set your banner to the FreeBSD/kernel stuff.

Oh this is classic.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I need some help with a NAT scenario that's a bit different than what I'm used to dealing with. I'll use this simplified GNS3 scenario since the solution here will transfer to my real-world scenario.

Click here for the full 1280x774 image.

What I'm trying to do is, using NAT on R0, map 10.4.36.5 to 172.16.3.1. In other words, if I try to access 10.4.36.5 from R1, it's translated to 172.16.3.1.

Now here's the tricky part.. this is easy enough to do if I set f0/1 to ip nat inside and f0/0 to ip nat outside and create a static mapping (ip nat inside source static 172.16.3.1 10.4.36.5), but the problem is that I need to have f0/1 be outside interface (since in the real-world scenario, that interface connects to the internet and I need to NAT the inside traffic on f1/1).

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

the nicker posted:

I need some help with a NAT scenario that's a bit different than what I'm used to dealing with. I'll use this simplified GNS3 scenario since the solution here will transfer to my real-world scenario.

Click here for the full 1280x774 image.

What I'm trying to do is, using NAT on R0, map 10.4.36.5 to 172.16.3.1. In other words, if I try to access 10.4.36.5 from R1, it's translated to 172.16.3.1.

Now here's the tricky part.. this is easy enough to do if I set f0/1 to ip nat inside and f0/0 to ip nat outside and create a static mapping (ip nat inside source static 172.16.3.1 10.4.36.5), but the problem is that I need to have f0/1 be outside interface (since in the real-world scenario, that interface connects to the internet and I need to NAT the inside traffic on f1/1).

So you are trying to do a destination static nat?

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

ragzilla posted:

It's not the banner. The prompt is login: instead of username/password so whatever it is, is beyond a banner (as well, it gives a different rejected message when authentication fails). I'm no stranger to using rom/xmodem of cisco so as soon as I can book a day with the occupants of that building I'm going to take a closer look at it. Until then, as long as it keeps switching....

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Sojourner posted:

New theory: autocommand doing a telnet to a BSD box under line con 0 and the vtys, all with 'no login authentication' set.

edit: I bet a dollar this is what's going on.

jwh fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 4, 2009

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I would say all bets are off until the config is bypassed, as stated before. Before the xmodem download at least.

Someone is definitely a funny guy. No one took my bet, would have pay pal'd it too!

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Back in the day I took a hex editor to command.com in dos and changed "file not found" to "fish not found".

I just looked in an uncompressed ios image and there are a lot of plaintext lines...

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Tremblay posted:

So you are trying to do a destination static nat?

I guess. I just tried this on R0 and it didn't work:

quote:

Router#sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 781 bytes
!
version 12.2
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
!
memory-size iomem 15
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
ip audit notify log
ip audit po max-events 100
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat outside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet1/0
ip address 10.4.36.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
ip nat pool adt 10.4.36.5 10.4.36.5 prefix-length 32
ip nat inside destination list 1 pool adt
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.10
ip http server
!
access-list 1 permit 172.16.3.1
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
!
end

According to debug ip packet on R0, it's not even trying to NAT the traffic. It's just trying to route it out f1/0

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
What's behind there that you are trying to NAT? How are the routers connected? You said the gns3 simulation is just similar. Is it just one port you need to forward, or everything? Without more info, it seems to me like you just need a regular static route, not NAT.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

cptInsane0 posted:

What's behind there that you are trying to NAT? How are the routers connected? You said the gns3 simulation is just similar. Is it just one port you need to forward, or everything? Without more info, it seems to me like you just need a regular static route, not NAT.

Just one port would work fine. In the real world it's not a router that I'm trying to access, it's a server. It's just easier to put a router in GNS3 and use telnet to test.

It needs to be NAT, routing is not an option. I have no control over R1, it belongs to another organization. They have a route to the 10.4.36 network but that's it.

The details of the real scenario are irrelevant - if I can make this work in the simulation, it will work there.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

ok, so just nat whatever port(s) they are connecting to.

IP Nat inside source static tcp whateverIP outsideinterface portnumber

cptInsane0 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 4, 2009

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

cptInsane0 posted:

ok, so just nat whatever port(s) they are connecting to.

IP Nat inside source static tcp whateverIP outsideinterface portnumber

Like I said in the original post, this works fine if f0/0 is configured as the outside interface and f0/1 is inside, but I need it to work the other way (with f0/1 configured as outside)

Whether I do the whole host or just a single port in the translation isn't relevant, I have the same problem either way.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

FYI c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-50.SE1.bin is dangerously unstable and almost entirely non-functional. SVI's won't answer ARP, configuring an exec banner triggers a crash, periodic unexplained tracebacks, the whole works.

Steer clear.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

the nicker posted:

Like I said in the original post, this works fine if f0/0 is configured as the outside interface and f0/1 is inside, but I need it to work the other way (with f0/1 configured as outside)

Whether I do the whole host or just a single port in the translation isn't relevant, I have the same problem either way.

I understand you want f0/1 on the outside. You want f0/0 on the inside, and the traffic is coming from what R1 represents? If so, R1 is already attached to F0/0. I understand this diagram doesn't represent your exact topology, but from your diagram, what you are saying makes no sense to me.

If you are trying to get traffic to go from R1 to the 172. subnet behind R2, then that involves some routing too.

cptInsane0 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 4, 2009

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I hope this isn't a FAQ, but I didn't see it in the last few pages (standard grumble about search).

Is there a simple, definitive statement from Cisco anywhere about whether IOS licenses are transferable? If I buy old Cisco gear from, say, eBay, my understanding is that the license isn't transferred, and thus I'd have to buy a new IOS license (which often costs nearly as much as buying new hardware). The Cisco EULA and Terms of Sale seem to support me in this.

If IOS licenses can't easily be transferred, though, why don't they crush all those eBay auctions? Is it because the auction technically is for hardware (which theoretically could be re-licensed), or because they know killing the second-hand market would be a PR nightmare?

Short Answer: They can't really stop (all of) it.

Longer Answer: They do make money off of support for the old hardware. If you want TAC support you have to rebuy a license, which is basically more profit for old hardware. Ideally you would buy new hardware and support contracts from Cisco, but if you want to go cheap and just buy the hardware, whenever you need support, then they will charge you at that point.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Will Cisco do support on a T&M basis? I didn't think that they would. I thought it was SMARTnet or nothing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
They used to, about 2 years ago. Not sure if they still do. I think you have to buy at least a 6 month SMARTnet contract. But I haven't needed to call TAC in a long time.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Powercrazy posted:

Short Answer: They can't really stop (all of) it.

Longer Answer: They do make money off of support for the old hardware. If you want TAC support you have to rebuy a license, which is basically more profit for old hardware. Ideally you would buy new hardware and support contracts from Cisco, but if you want to go cheap and just buy the hardware, whenever you need support, then they will charge you at that point.

Eh, not always.

We've purchased SmartNET on gray market 12000s and never had to re-buy licensing or submit to the joy that is "re-certification".

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

ragzilla posted:

Eh, not always.

We've purchased SmartNET on gray market 12000s and never had to re-buy licensing or submit to the joy that is "re-certification".

Thats most likely because your acct team was feeling nice.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Harry Totterbottom posted:

This is the one I use on my home lab.

code:
       UNAUTHORIZED USERS WILL BE
             EXTERMINATED
                   /           
              ___              
      D>=G==='   '.            
            |======|           
            |======|           
        )--/]IIIIII]           
           |_______|           
           C O O O D           
          C O  O  O D          
         C  O  O  O  D         
         C__O__O__O__D         
        [_____________]        

This is now the banner on each client I've logged into today. Both voice gateways and routers.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I know you can get away with "buy old router on eBay, plug in, use." I'm asking whether it's, technically speaking, a EULA or other license violation.

Buying the router itself is almost certainly okay, since you can (theoretically) relicense IOS, get your gear recertified, and so on. Hardware's hardware, and I doubt Cisco would have grounds to stop the resale of their parts even if they wanted to.

Going to the other extreme (buying used router, having friend with CCIE download current IOS image for you to install) is almost certainly not-okay.

I know Cisco's EULA says "nontransferable" in a couple places, but that could be boilerplate. And there's a page on cisco.com that I found earlier and can't find again, that described licensing practices, and said that Cisco's policy is not to allow license transfer except in special cases like corporate mergers.

Has Cisco ever sued/prosecuted anyone for this? If not, why do they still have all this "don't do it" language all over the place?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Has Cisco ever sued/prosecuted anyone for this? If not, why do they still have all this "don't do it" language all over the place?

Corporate Leverage. Its not so much the case anymore, but about 10-15 years ago, if you wanted enterprise routers, or any routers at all, it was Cisco or bust. 10-15 years ago was also Cisco's hayday. They were investing millions in the early internet, routing protocols, switching protocols, DECNet, Token-ring, Ethernet, etc. A lot of that has settled down, but when the internet was hot and money was nearly unlimited, it was nice to have an "in" for negotiations with any tech company.

To answer your question, when you buy hardware on Ebay, you technically cannot run the software image that comes with it. However just like everything in the corporate environment, this clause is tacitly ignored by every company, until a conflict of interest, or some "other" interest arises.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Setting the banner on all my lab routers and switches to

FreeBSD 4.10 (STABLE)
Kernel 2.6.27 on an i686

in honour of this monumental bug discussion :cool:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

Setting the banner on all my lab routers and switches to

FreeBSD 4.10 (STABLE)
Kernel 2.6.27 on an i686

in honour of this monumental bug discussion :cool:

hehe

O god so I went looking for banners and I found some loving funny ACSII poo poo. Our firm's router now display this at logon

code:
FOR THIS PERFORMANCE TO HAVE A DEEP, LASTING EFFECT YOU SHOULD  
PLAY A RECORDING OF CAT STEVENS' "ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT" DURING
YOUR VIEWING EXPERIENCE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.      

STEP 1. OBTAIN A PIG. THIS ONE WILL DO:                         

_____                                                       
<..>     \9                                                     
(oo)_____/                                                      
   WW  WW    Pig                                                

STEP 2. FIND A STURDY TOILET                                    

_                                                          
    | |                                                         
 ___| |                                                         
(    .'                                                         
 )__(    Toilet                                                 

STEP 3. SHOVE THE PIG INTO THE TOILET HEAD-FIRST. HE WILL       
NOT FIT. DO THE BEST YOU CAN. WE DO NOT HAVE A GRAPHIC FOR      
STEP THREE SO WE PRESENT A MOUSE INSTEAD:                       

o..o                                                            
(\/)S  Mouse                                                    

JUST IMAGINE THE PIG STUCK FACE-FIRST IN THE TOILET. THE        
MOUSE IS OF NO MATTER.                                          

STEP 4. gently caress THE PIG IN THE rear end. HIS SHARP TEETH, FIELD OF      
VISION AND ABILITY TO FIGHT BACK WILL BE RESTRAINED *AS LONG    
AS YOU HAVE STUFFED THE PIG PROPERLY INTO THE TOILET*. gently caress     
THAT PIG. YEAH, gently caress IT. JESUS CHRIST THE PIG DOESN'T LIKE      
THIS DEAL AT ALL AND THAT'S WHAT YOU GET OFF ON BABY. gently caress      
THAT LITTLE PIG. MMMMMM YEAH FINISHING MMMM PIG IN TOILET MMM   

STEP 5. EVENTUALLY THE PIG WILL DROWN, GET "hosed-OUT" AND     
COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF OR OTHERWISE CEASE TO CONTINUE            
PERFORMING AS FUCKTOY. REPLACE WITH FRESH PIG. SEE STEP 1.
I had to change the pig's ears because they were that symbol above the 6 (carat?) and that hosed up the banner command because it uses that to signify the end of the banner :(

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Once you're gone, the next network consultant or IT guy is going to be really impressed. ;)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Okay, so far both c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-50.SE1.bin and c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin both exhibit the same behavior, while c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-25.SEE4.bin does not-

12.2(25)SEE4 works "correctly," in that it boots, and my SVIs behave as I would expect. Both 12.2(46)SE and 12.2(50)SE1 however won't learn arp entires for anything attached to those SVIs, and as a result debug ip pack is showing encapsulation failed for traffic sourced from that SVI.

000357: IP: s=10.32.100.230 (local), d=10.32.100.254 (Vlan100), len 100, encapsulation failed
3560g-test-sw1#show arp
Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
Internet 10.32.100.230 - 0015.620a.8441 ARPA Vlan100
Internet 10.32.100.254 0 Incomplete ARPA

Okay, pretty standard stuff, so I set up static arp entries on all of the devices, which gets past the encapsulation failure, verify the cef adjacency is good on the routers, and proceed to ping the SVI again- but nothing. Debug ip pack on the 3560 shows nothing. I've tried with both 'ip routing' enabled and disabled with the same results.

And here's the best part, 12.2(25)SEE4 works fine.

Does anyone know if anything fundamental has changed between 12.2(25)SEE4 and 12.2(46)SE?

I'm going to keep downgrading from 12.2(46) until I find code that works. Currently tftping 12.2(44)SE6 up.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

hehe

O god so I went looking for banners and I found some loving funny ACSII poo poo. Our firm's router now display this at logon

code:
FOR THIS PERFORMANCE TO HAVE A DEEP, LASTING EFFECT YOU SHOULD  
PLAY A RECORDING OF CAT STEVENS' "ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT" DURING
YOUR VIEWING EXPERIENCE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.      

STEP 1. OBTAIN A PIG. THIS ONE WILL DO:                         

_____                                                       
<..>     \9                                                     
(oo)_____/                                                      
   WW  WW    Pig                                                

STEP 2. FIND A STURDY TOILET                                    

_                                                          
    | |                                                         
 ___| |                                                         
(    .'                                                         
 )__(    Toilet                                                 

STEP 3. SHOVE THE PIG INTO THE TOILET HEAD-FIRST. HE WILL       
NOT FIT. DO THE BEST YOU CAN. WE DO NOT HAVE A GRAPHIC FOR      
STEP THREE SO WE PRESENT A MOUSE INSTEAD:                       

o..o                                                            
(\/)S  Mouse                                                    

JUST IMAGINE THE PIG STUCK FACE-FIRST IN THE TOILET. THE        
MOUSE IS OF NO MATTER.                                          

STEP 4. gently caress THE PIG IN THE rear end. HIS SHARP TEETH, FIELD OF      
VISION AND ABILITY TO FIGHT BACK WILL BE RESTRAINED *AS LONG    
AS YOU HAVE STUFFED THE PIG PROPERLY INTO THE TOILET*. gently caress     
THAT PIG. YEAH, gently caress IT. JESUS CHRIST THE PIG DOESN'T LIKE      
THIS DEAL AT ALL AND THAT'S WHAT YOU GET OFF ON BABY. gently caress      
THAT LITTLE PIG. MMMMMM YEAH FINISHING MMMM PIG IN TOILET MMM   

STEP 5. EVENTUALLY THE PIG WILL DROWN, GET "hosed-OUT" AND     
COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF OR OTHERWISE CEASE TO CONTINUE            
PERFORMING AS FUCKTOY. REPLACE WITH FRESH PIG. SEE STEP 1.
I had to change the pig's ears because they were that symbol above the 6 (carat?) and that hosed up the banner command because it uses that to signify the end of the banner :(

Just use a different character for the MOTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

cptInsane0 posted:

I understand this diagram doesn't represent your exact topology, but from your diagram, what you are saying makes no sense to me.

I was afraid of this, it's a hard scenario to explain. Maybe this will help: R1, which belongs to another organization, cannot have a route to the 172.16.3 network because it overlaps with their own network. They need to be able to access 172.16.3.1 as if it were on the 10.4.36 network.

At any rate, I figured it out. It took a bit of trickery and some nat-on-a-stick policy routing.

R0 posted:

interface Loopback0
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
ip nat inside
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat outside
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1