Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
anyone care to post a guide to adjusting valves that use shims rather then tappets? My 250 doesn't have shims so I've no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004

SuperSlant6 posted:

What kind of shape was your doohickey in? I changed mine at 7k and it looked like new yet.

I did a doohickey tech day at Happy Trails last winter and it was interesting. There were around 30 bikes there and it seemed around 10k they started to have doohickey problems. Most of them the doohickey itself was ok, but the spring that runs it all was out of tension so it wouldn't adjust the cam chain tension.

Mine had 9k on the clock and the doohickey was good, but the spring was dorked.

Eagle Mike was there and he was quite the interesting fellow. I still haven't quite decided if he loves his KLR or hates it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey KLR buddies! Good news and bad news! The good news is, the disturbing metallic rattle I was hearing around 3000 rpm and up was not coming from the engine! The bad news is, one of the lesser KLR Curses has struck and one of my subframe bolts is sheared. So figure some time to turn the bolt stub out, plus more time to get a subframe upgrade bolt sized to work with my crashbars, and I might as well take this opportunity to check the valves, god dammit.

Oh, yeah, I replaced my doohickey at about 6500 km, and it looked reasonable and I believe there was still tension on the spring, which is what the main failure mode seems to be on the 2nd-gen.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I made my SV650 look retarded. Headlight chrome ring was rattling and making me thing of some horrible things with the engine. Currently have a few matchbook top shoved between the housing and ring to keep it in place without rattling.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

SuperSlant6 posted:

What kind of shape was your doohickey in? I changed mine at 7k and it looked like new yet.

I replaced it when I first got the bike, all I did the other day was loosen and tighten the lock bolt. Although when I replaced the doohickey a year ago I was a dummy and got half the bike together when I realized that I'd reassembled it with the old spring. :doh: So it still needs to come back apart, I'll probably put in one of the torsion springs next oil change.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

EvilDonald posted:

I replaced it when I first got the bike, all I did the other day was loosen and tighten the lock bolt. Although when I replaced the doohickey a year ago I was a dummy and got half the bike together when I realized that I'd reassembled it with the old spring. :doh: So it still needs to come back apart, I'll probably put in one of the torsion springs next oil change.
Interesting, I guess I should have done some more reading before I replaced my doohicky. I left the old spring in because it was still providing lots of tension at 7k miles. I will probably pull the first cover and check the spring again at about 10k miles.

My KLR still needs lots of work. Some things that need to done fairly soon: replace the rear tire, disassemble the rear arm and grease all the pivot points. One thing that needs to be done now is fix the speedometer. I usually does not work at all, and if it does work, it only goes up to about 20 mph.
Another strange quirk that needs to be fixed is a squeaky exhaust. At lower rpms and especially at idle, it emits out of the muffler a squeaky noise or sort of a whistling sound. the exhaust system does not have any leaks and the noise seems to originate in the muffler.
I also need a new clutch lever after snapping the part of the end off my current one. for an '04 it seems to breaking faster than I can fix it. Time to get a '08+ :haw:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got it inspected, clean/lubed the chain and put some air in the tires which were... low. The bike feels completely different in the corners with the right pressure in them. Never again will I wait a week between pressure checks.

Oh and standing around having your little Ninja 250 inspected only to have a middle-aged woman in full leathers on a CBR1000RR pull up behind you makes one feel extremely inadequate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered a set of Intiminators (worst name ever) for the SV. The bike's under cover since it's been pouring rain the past couple days. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperSlant6 posted:

Another strange quirk that needs to be fixed is a squeaky exhaust. At lower rpms and especially at idle, it emits out of the muffler a squeaky noise or sort of a whistling sound. the exhaust system does not have any leaks and the noise seems to originate in the muffler.

This is apparently a quirk endemic to the KLR muffler, both generations. It's called Tweety. (From the same online community that brought you such technical terms as doohickey and farkle.) You can drill bits of your muffler out, replace it, or accept that your bike is gonna sound dorky.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had the most :argh: day. Started with fixing the egregious headlight outage problem I discovered Tuesday (fuse didn't blow, one of the ends' solder just let go), then giving the chain a good clean & lube. Topped up the battery cells with water.

Then cue spending at least 30 minutes tracing wires, testing bulbs with 9V batterys, checking voltages and switches, trying to figure out why my tail light works but the brake lamp doesn't. Looks like it's some diode box that's loose near the fusebox. Give it a click, and Bob's my bloody uncle. Cue dancing!

Got it all back together and headed off to a Canadian Tire to check on a saddlebag/tank bag combo 8ender clued me into. Get there, they have both separate but not the combo. Oh well. Go to get a new headlight, they don't have any of those either. Go to get new sparkplugs, and I forgot to write down the kind I needed. Argh.

Get back to parking lot, check if brake light's still working: NO. WTF? Now I'm a bit pissed off. Ride off to another Canadian Tire, get headlamp, try to do a quick check in the parking lot with the brake light, no idea, go home PO'd.

Take headlight off, try to put new one on, and it's the wrong kind for my bike. Oh well. Fiddle and prod with the rear to see WTF is causing my brake light failure, do something, now it's working! Put bike back together, go inside and eat dinner.

Get geared up after dinner, check brake light: success! Take a bunch of tools with me anyway, head back to Canadian Tire to return headlight and get new spark plugs (I finally wrote the model number down!). Return poo poo for refund, get sparkplugs and feeler gauges, head into parking lot. Check brakelight: NO. WTF?

Rummaged around with the seat & side panel off, determined diode box is fine, it looks like the wire harness going to the back that's just under the seat is rubbing itself loose. Get it working and give it some slack, everything's hunky-dory. Go for a cruise down Rosedale Valley Road, which is a nice little ride in the trees, then go blasting around the city for a while, every once in a while checking the brake light: no problems.

So tomorrow will be new plugs day, then if I have time I'll try to figure out why it seems to be running so poorly after getting the carbs worked on just recently. :iiam:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

Got it all back together and headed off to a Canadian Tire to check on a saddlebag/tank bag combo 8ender clued me into. Get there, they have both separate but not the combo.

Use their online stock checker thing. Its usually pretty accurate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I ordered a set of Intiminators (worst name ever) for the SV. The bike's under cover since it's been pouring rain the past couple days. :(

VERY interested in hearing your before/after opinions on this. Weather gods, stop being dicks and let Endless Mike work! :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

VERY interested in hearing your before/after opinions on this. Weather gods, stop being dicks and let Endless Mike work! :argh:
Well, I just ordered them yesterday, and I'm not going to put them in until I get some other suspension bits to balance the whole thing out (mostly, looking for a ZX14 shock for cheap, but that seems to be difficult), but I'll be sure to write up what I think when I get around to it!

Sir J Savile
May 5, 2009
I stripped the entire rear end out of my Bandit twice as the dealer who carried out the service on it 150 miles ago didn't do a very good job. The 650 Bandit requires a very small service at 7500 miles which is basically just changing the oil and looking over the bike for any problems, but apparently even this is too hard.

The rear brake had been squealing for a few miles before I took it in but I didn't mention it as I was happy to deal with it myself. When they moved it in to the workshop the brakes must have been used as they seemed to notice the squeal so when I got any bike back the calipers, caliper carriers and fork legs where covered in copper grease. They also tried to charge me £40 for a set of Iridium spark plugs they had fitted until I pointed out they where originally cheap £2.50 plugs which had 2500 miles on them and that they don't need to be changed on that service anyway.

Anyway last week I noticed the chain was pretty much touching the floor which was odd. A chain can usually go more than 150 miles without needing adjustment so I set to it only to nearly round off one of the bolts on the adjuster. The adjusters where set at different markings so the axle was crooked and not only that the spindle wouldn't turn, this is because the rear caliper carrier had jammed on to the spindle where it had been crooked and then tightend up.

So after having to knock the axle out with a drift nothing was greased at all as they they had taken the rear wheel out to get to the rear caliper to smear copper grease about, cleaned the grease off the axle and then just put it all back together. So I got it all back together and on the test ride the rear brake started squealing again so I had to take it all back apart to find they had left the original copper grease on from the factory and just smeared a thin layer on which pretty much washed straight out when I cleaned it.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm pissed off and needed to vent it somewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sir J Savile posted:

I stripped the entire rear end out of my Bandit twice as the dealer who carried out the service on it 150 miles ago didn't do a very good job. The 650 Bandit requires a very small service at 7500 miles which is basically just changing the oil and looking over the bike for any problems, but apparently even this is too hard.

The rear brake had been squealing for a few miles before I took it in but I didn't mention it as I was happy to deal with it myself. When they moved it in to the workshop the brakes must have been used as they seemed to notice the squeal so when I got any bike back the calipers, caliper carriers and fork legs where covered in copper grease. They also tried to charge me £40 for a set of Iridium spark plugs they had fitted until I pointed out they where originally cheap £2.50 plugs which had 2500 miles on them and that they don't need to be changed on that service anyway.

Anyway last week I noticed the chain was pretty much touching the floor which was odd. A chain can usually go more than 150 miles without needing adjustment so I set to it only to nearly round off one of the bolts on the adjuster. The adjusters where set at different markings so the axle was crooked and not only that the spindle wouldn't turn, this is because the rear caliper carrier had jammed on to the spindle where it had been crooked and then tightend up.

So after having to knock the axle out with a drift nothing was greased at all as they they had taken the rear wheel out to get to the rear caliper to smear copper grease about, cleaned the grease off the axle and then just put it all back together. So I got it all back together and on the test ride the rear brake started squealing again so I had to take it all back apart to find they had left the original copper grease on from the factory and just smeared a thin layer on which pretty much washed straight out when I cleaned it.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm pissed off and needed to vent it somewhere.

I'd be pissed too, gently caress. I'd go and demand a refund.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

^^ raise hell ^^

(yesterday) and today is getting the bikes ready for the track day. Just a few more finishing touches before its brraap brraap on Saturday.

Sir J Savile
May 5, 2009

Z3n posted:

I'd be pissed too, gently caress. I'd go and demand a refund.

I rang them and made them aware of it but for £70 I'm willing to let it go. It's still inside the warranty by a few months and needs to be serviced to keep it all ok so I just pretty much just paid for the stamp in the book which is all the service was anyway had they left the brakes alone. They're an independent garage so I can't really contact Suzuki and say much and they where alright as they did the 5000 mile service but I've found out they've lost 2 mechanics since then. Chances are I won't go back anyway as the warranty runs out in august and I can do the servicing then.

It's not as bad as the first place which did the 600 service and they were on my doorstep. When they removed the oil filter they threw oil all over the down pipes and left me to clean it off after I had ridden two very smokey and dangerous miles home and their attitude was it was free so I could gently caress if I didn't like it.

But nothing beats incompetence like Ducati dealers. I'm in two minds about posting the 3 1/2 year saga that was the ownership of the poo poo pile I sold about a week ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ordered some drag bars and some new grips. Hopefully I can get them on by next weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

^^ raise hell ^^

(yesterday) and today is getting the bikes ready for the track day. Just a few more finishing touches before its brraap brraap on Saturday.

Bastard, loving cheap rear end sumo track being built right around the corner from you.

Sir J Savile posted:

I rang them and made them aware of it but for £70 I'm willing to let it go. It's still inside the warranty by a few months and needs to be serviced to keep it all ok so I just pretty much just paid for the stamp in the book which is all the service was anyway had they left the brakes alone. They're an independent garage so I can't really contact Suzuki and say much and they where alright as they did the 5000 mile service but I've found out they've lost 2 mechanics since then. Chances are I won't go back anyway as the warranty runs out in august and I can do the servicing then.

It's not as bad as the first place which did the 600 service and they were on my doorstep. When they removed the oil filter they threw oil all over the down pipes and left me to clean it off after I had ridden two very smokey and dangerous miles home and their attitude was it was free so I could gently caress if I didn't like it.

But nothing beats incompetence like Ducati dealers. I'm in two minds about posting the 3 1/2 year saga that was the ownership of the poo poo pile I sold about a week ago.

Post it, just for entertainment value. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did alignment the other day. Looks like it's a tad off... :raise:

There, that's better.

Basically you set the lines parallell with the front wheel, measure that the width is equal to the rear wheel width, then tune the adjustment screws by hand until the lines just touch the front end of the wheel. Quite easy, I can explain in detail if wanted.

Also decided to lower my front end for quicker steering. actually I balanced the fork oil levels

And gave it a good clean and polish job. Nice. Now ready for a 3 day trip through some of Norway's absolute finest roads. Weather report is slightly iffy, but MEH! LET'S GO!

edit: let's go monday morning I mean, two 12 hour shifts at work first...

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 5, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Huh. I hadn't actually thought of doing a calibrated alignment like that. Would you mind posting a bit more on the actual steps involved?

TheBeatlesRock
Aug 11, 2005

What I don't know, I can fake. But cash only. I don't take checks from college students.
Today I decided to do a through cleaning of my scooter. Took the seat out and spent a while cleaning the top part of the undercarriage because I hadn't done it in a while. It took forever to clean out a small spot of oily junk that had begun to form right between my back tire and the spot where I put my transmission oil in. Then I took off the front panel so I could get at the inside of the front of my scoot as well, but that really just needed to be sprayed down to get out a little bit of dust and loose dirt.

Finally, finished off by putting a new layer of header paint on my exhaust because I had started to notice a few small rust spots forming.

I had wanted to install a new front brake pad as well, but the local scooter store I ordered the part from still doesn't have it in after 3 weeks. It's annoying because I could have just ordered the stock part off ebay and probably had it here in like 3 days. The reason I had them order it was because the scooter store is pretty small so I figured I'd just have them order and install the part for me to throw a little extra business their way. Now, I think I'm going to just buy the part from them when it comes in and install it myself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
You should explain that to them. Might light a fire under their asses.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Rode it in actual rain for the first time. Went well enough I suppose, though now it needs a bath (as does my helmet).

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finally hooked the headlight and enduro timer back up on my KDX after around four years. Also cleaned the air filter for the first time in the same amount of time. I know that's bad, but it actually didn't look terribly dirty.

Next step is finding a rear fender with a tail light built in, since I have no idea what happened to the original.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

Huh. I hadn't actually thought of doing a calibrated alignment like that. Would you mind posting a bit more on the actual steps involved?

I'll make a thread of it as it is easy to do and many should know how to do it. But tomorrow, now sleep.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I finally fixed the idle and throttle problems on my 75 Honda CB500T. As it turns out, the problem wasn't with the idle or the petcock as I thought, the loving plugs were filthy (PO had the fuel mixture rich as gently caress) so I took a file and some elbow grease to them and the bike starts, idles, and revs just fine. I took it out for a ~30 mile spin afterwards.

:ms:

First time out on the bike riding in more than just a straight line. It was quite the experience. The next upgrade will be new grips since the damned bike vibrates harder than a Hitachi Magic Wand on high.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Get a girl to ride on the back; it'll work better than spanish fly :v:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Get a girl to ride on the back; it'll work better than spanish fly :v:

That's the plan.

Oh... I also replaced the lovely stock rectifer with a higher quality one from Oregon Motorcycle Parts. Now I can ride up the block without my battery dying on the way.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

Ola posted:

alignment

Yeah, I'll need to do that, too. Gotta grease the swingarm and adjust the chain, while I'm under there I'll take the lowering links out and put the stock ones back now that I'm used to the bike. I'll bet an alignment makes a difference, when I had the rear tire installed and chain adjusted, one of the little plates on the end of the swingarm promptly fell off. I took it back, and the guy (chief mechanic even) said "I didnt undo those, I just slid the axle out".

Then how did you adjust the chain? :iiam: Either way, I'll not be surprised to find it out of whack.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Man this light today was so messed up, turning green for only a drat second. Traffic is backed up and...oh wait I'm on my Husky (rides on sidewalk, across trailer park, jumps curb between trees into auto service center and on to open roads, all while slipping the clutch so to allow extra reving/noise-making).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

anyone care to post a guide to adjusting valves that use shims rather then tappets? My 250 doesn't have shims so I've no clue.

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_valves/

Pictures and everything.

Today, I bled the brakes on my friend's 600RR for him, and I did the SV cam swap as well as changing my chain. It was a good day. Tomorrow I may go pick up my new bike, or I may just finish up the racebike...not sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took a trip with my buddy to what is supposed to be a really good BBQ place, via a pretty road. It was. :)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Gnaghi posted:

Man this light today was so messed up, turning green for only a drat second. Traffic is backed up and...oh wait I'm on my Husky (rides on sidewalk, across trailer park, jumps curb between trees into auto service center and on to open roads, all while slipping the clutch so to allow extra reving/noise-making).

Pics Video or it didn't happen

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Finally pulled the ninjette out of the garage and took it to the shop to get a new chain/sprockets, rear tire, and brake pads put on. Non-motorcycle life has been kicking my rear end for a while now. Riding to the shop felt great, and I'm excited about getting the bike back next weekend.

Almost two months is too long.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Orange Someone posted:

I added another bike to my insurance. So now I own two 1993 CB400 Superfours. I feel somewhat Nero-like. 3 bikes in all.
I"m working on that. Yet there are two new yamaha's in the garage. One is mine, one is a coworkers. I acquired Squishy's 1996 WR250, and I have a 1971 U7E. Right now, my garage may well be 40% Yamaha by count. Probally 15% by weight.

Z3n posted:

That thing is sweet. I want to find an old kickstarted sub 400cc bike for cruising around town on.
This is the entire reason I own the GS425.

dietcokefiend posted:

Helped an old guy in a Caddy with a flat tire today.
Karma is half of what keeps riders from being dead. :-) good job. I stop for people all the time.

And to add to the thread:

Tonight I adjusted my chain tension on the '83 GS550ES. It needs a bath. I should get a new valve cover gasket and recheck it's valves.

I got my ex coworkers U7E able to sustain more than an idle. Stupid PO put on a craptastic fuel filter.

Yesterday I bought all the materials so I can make a new wiring harness for my '80 GS550E. I miss having 80hp, wide bars, and a motor that sounds like it came straight from a 60's British race car.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I went and rode it in the gay pride parade in a piss-down rainstorm. I was going to clean it all up but now I'm glad I didn't. At one point I was pretty much riding completely blind because the rain was coming down so hard and I'd stored my helmet in a truck. Good thing we were only going about 2 miles an hour.

I saw a purple '91 GS550 (I think), 2 Harleys, 2 scooters and a '70 Honda CL350. Normally there's about 20 bieks w/dykes but today we were the only ones brave enough. :patriot:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2020

ablank
Jan 31, 2004
I put on some SW-Motech crash engine guards, a bash plate and a pelican top case to get ready for a trip out to Big Bend National Park with some Pinzgauers next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert.
Feb 20, 2006
two thumbs uuughhlp

dietcokefiend posted:

I made my SV650 look retarded. Headlight chrome ring was rattling and making me thing of some horrible things with the engine. Currently have a few matchbook top shoved between the housing and ring to keep it in place without rattling.

Got a light? :downsrim: See if you have an old bicycle tube laying around, cut up pieces might work when folded over.

Well, this was yesterday but I pulled the engine out of my F4i, going to work on cleaning it up a bit more. I hope to god the internals are okay :(

Also, I don't want to start a new thread just to ask this but I wanted to update my F2 thread but I noticed that it was thrown into the archives and I can't get to it. Is there any way I can get it brought back to life for me?