Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm (sorta) helping found a new club!!!!
Any goons around the Downers Grove, IL, area... there's a Barnes & Noble on W. 75th St., and a guy who wants to start a Wednesday night Go club. If you can make it, it'd be AWESOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Zeiros posted:

Just bumping the thread because the Go goons are a pretty awesome bunch.

True that! Everyone should give Go a shot, just to try it out. The more players the better

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Quad posted:

I'm (sorta) helping found a new club!!!!
Any goons around the Downers Grove, IL, area... there's a Barnes & Noble on W. 75th St., and a guy who wants to start a Wednesday night Go club. If you can make it, it'd be AWESOME.

I'll be moving into Chicago sometime in the next 2 months, most likely Bucktown or Logan Sq., so it would be a commute to make it but I'd like to try sometime. I'll be joining the Lakeview club so if you're in Chicago on a Tuesday.

Also I have a set so anyone in Chicago that would want to meet up on a day other than Tuesday I'm up for it.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

The closest club I can find to myself is in the middle of gently caress yourself no where an hour out from where I live. Two old guys run it. It is pretty sad if I'm considering going. I'm going to get shot.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

The closest club I can find to myself is in the middle of gently caress yourself no where an hour out from where I live. Two old guys run it. It is pretty sad if I'm considering going. I'm going to get shot.

They don't want to shoot you. they want you to be their boyfriend.

:)

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Blendy posted:

They don't want to shoot you. they want you to be their boyfriend.

:)

anything to get to shodan

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
My dad and I just finished making a floor goban today :) It's made out of planks of a wood called Sapele laminated together, with legs cut out of posts and then sanded to shape. It's been months coming, so I'm glad it's finally done! I really don't deserve a board this nice at my skill level...

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 1706x1372 image.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Things that make me jealous

That's a drat nice looking floor board. My compliments to you and your dad.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 26, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Whoa, nice! Did you rout out some of the inside for extra thwack?

This might have been the easiest part, but how did you do the grid? I'm afraid that if I ever tried making such a board, it would end up all crooked.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Bizarro Buddha posted:

:neckbeard:

:monocle: Dear lord, that is wonderful. What's the occasion?

Also, are you on KGS? I like to know the Go goons.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Blendy posted:

That's a drat nice looking floor board. My compliments to you and your dad.

Compliments passed on to my dad, he did most of the real work :)

Pillow Face posted:

Whoa, nice! Did you rout out some of the inside for extra thwack?

This might have been the easiest part, but how did you do the grid? I'm afraid that if I ever tried making such a board, it would end up all crooked.

We just chiselled out the pyramid from the bottom because it's traditional, we didn't hollow out any of the wood. The lines are marked with a cheap Rotring drafting pen. We used masking tape on the sides to mark the divisions and stop the lines going too far, then just drew them with a metal ruler. For the hoshi and tengen we used the hole in the end of a smaller ruler which was about 5mm diameter.

qxan posted:

:monocle: Dear lord, that is wonderful. What's the occasion?

Also, are you on KGS? I like to know the Go goons.

I'm crnobog on KGS, we know each other :) The occasion was just that it was a fun project to do with my dad, who I don't see that often these days.

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
Posting in this thread to say that the Go goons are awesome. They are helpful and welcoming to any new players. Keep up the good work, men.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Just bought Get strong at life and death, and Opening theory made easy. Waiting for those to come.

Also got Invincible on loan from the univ. of Rochester. I love libraries.

Crumpets
Apr 30, 2009
I'm on KGS with the name Westham. Hit me up for a game whenever I'm on. I'm not very good.

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

maxipad posted:

I'm on KGS with the name Westham. Hit me up for a game whenever I'm on. I'm not very good.

If you are new to Go and the KGS server you can look for games against bots to get a ranking, also you generally have better luck finding beginner opponents in rooms other than the English Game Room, such as the KGS Teaching Ladder and the Beginners' room.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Bizarro Buddha posted:

My dad and I just finished making a floor goban today :) It's made out of planks of a wood called Sapele laminated together, with legs cut out of posts and then sanded to shape. It's been months coming, so I'm glad it's finally done! I really don't deserve a board this nice at my skill level...

That is a gorgeous board. I am in awe.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

If you all are up for some dry, boring-rear end poo poo message me on KGS and we can study some joseki. I just bought Ishida's Joseki Dictionary volumes 1 and 2 and that is 600 pages of poo poo, pure poo poo, in tiny font. Gonna slate this fucker

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
Just got back to my hometown here in Japan after spending the last 3 days in Shizuoka (near Nagoya) at the World Amatuer Go Championship. Wasn't entirely what I expected, but met a lot of great people and saw some really good games. Turns out the little Go circle I play in is connected to a handful of people in the Japan Go world and beyond, so I ended up getting interviewed, met a handful of pros, and had a chance to play games with some of the people there.

I completely forget to bring my camera, but I will post up some pictures my older friend took once she sends them my way.

There's a little bit of news about it at http://usgo.org for the curious.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I remember a while ago we were talking about go comic strips and I couldn't remember the really awful ones I had read or where I had found them. Well today I found them again...

https://tigersmouth.org/viewpage.php?page_id=2

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008
Wow, those comics are so bad they encrypt every page with SLL so your dirty little secret that you like tigersmouth.org will stay safe.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

You are Jennifer posted:

Wow, those comics are so bad they encrypt every page with SLL so your dirty little secret that you like tigersmouth.org will stay safe.

I wonder who is a fan of them.

I just got back from the KU campus because I had to go to the bank that's in the union. While I was up there I figured I'd check the East Asian Library since I knew they had some go books. Turns out they have a lot (well a shelf) of go books, mostly Chinese volumes. However I found a Japanese tsumego book I could understand a little and sat there for a bit solving some of them. If I wasn't moving soon I'd buy a card for the library.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
temp banned again for chattin all caps and defyin admins, le sigh

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

as halfway crooks posted:

temp banned again for chattin all caps and defyin admins, le sigh

I poured a 40 of glucose out for my nigga spacebrain

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
we should roll legit and start a goon-run go server

I'll make the banner

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

we should roll legit and start a goon-run go server

I'll make the banner

How deep we be rolling these days? 8 deep? 9 deep?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Any of you in Philly? Me and a couple buddies play on our lunchbreak.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

I think qxan is.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Hey there, just started a few days ago. I can vouch for all of the positive comments on the SA Go community, great group of guys, always willing to help. Think I need to do a few more 9x9s before I go into 19x19s, I didn't lose TOO bad in my first shot at a 19x19, but I was shot mentally. Ridiculously complex stuff.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Surf Rock keep on keeping on. The first couple of 19x19s will be crazy but there is a flow to it and you'll get the feel of that.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

I am in the suburbs around West Chester, so it's sorta a distance to head into the city. Are in in Philly? So close yet so far.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

qxan posted:

I am in the suburbs around West Chester, so it's sorta a distance to head into the city. Are in in Philly? So close yet so far.

Ah, OK. I live in Delaware but work in Philly. I asked because my friends and I sort of have a small lunchtime go club going. So far, it's myself (10-11k), a couple other mid-teen kyu buddies, and a 7d KGS admin. The time constraints kind of suck because we're all playing on our lunch break, except for the 7d guy, but it's still fun.

Also, there is a go club at a Korean church around Wilmington that is on Saturdays. I think a 7d amateur is the head honcho around there. I haven't gone yet. Maybe I'll take the white guy KGS admin with me and we'll get our hustle on.

E-mail me if you're interested. yejoon.koh is my googles.

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2009

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Ah, OK. I live in Delaware but work in Philly. I asked because my friends and I sort of have a small lunchtime go club going. So far, it's myself (10-11k), a couple other mid-teen kyu buddies, and a 7d KGS admin. The time constraints kind of suck because we're all playing on our lunch break, except for the 7d guy, but it's still fun.

Also, there is a go club at a Korean church around Wilmington that is on Saturdays. I think a 7d amateur is the head honcho around there. I haven't gone yet. Maybe I'll take the white guy KGS admin with me and we'll get our hustle on.

E-mail me if you're interested. yejoon.koh is my googles.

Wow, 7dan admin vs 7dan amateur, make sure to tell us how the game goes if it ever goes down. I'm always interested in how KGS's best stack up against the real world.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

You are Jennifer posted:

Wow, 7dan admin vs 7dan amateur, make sure to tell us how the game goes if it ever goes down. I'm always interested in how KGS's best stack up against the real world.

Well according to some data collection:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison

I'm 11kish on KGS so I'd be 11k in Japan and 12k to the AGA, but in Korea I would be 16k D:

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

You are Jennifer posted:

The admin's rank is actually 7d club/amateur, I'm pretty sure. He says he doesn't play ranked games on kgs, just admins and teaches. From his profile:

quote:

My name is Jon and I offer Go lessons here at KGS. I have 2 years experience in online and offline instruction and play at around the 7d level (club rating), 4.9d OGS. If you're interested in learning and would like more information, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at http://www.kuronekogoschool.com .

My Go education: I learned to play from attending the Feng Yun Go School, led by Feng Yun (9p), and private instruction under Zhen Zhu (7d). My full resumé is available upon request as a PDF file.

So yeah.

Blendy, who are you on kgs? I'm also ~11k.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

Blendy, who are you on kgs? I'm also ~11k.

I'm Blendy here and on KGS as well. What's your KGS username?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Blendy posted:

I'm Blendy here and on KGS as well. What's your KGS username?

PillowFace. Heh.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

PillowFace. Heh.

Ha well aren't we a pair of chuckleheads.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Can't believe I just found this thread! Been playing go for a little while but not enough online to know what my rank is. Noticed that the posts at the end are pretty recent but how active is the community still?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Plastic Snake posted:

Can't believe I just found this thread! Been playing go for a little while but not enough online to know what my rank is. Noticed that the posts at the end are pretty recent but how active is the community still?

It's pretty active depending on the time of the day. It could be just 3 of us or it could be 10+. Come and join the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

Plastic Snake posted:

The community is moderately sized, but extremely active and basically everyone who is active enough knows everyone else. Right now there are 5 people in our room, sometimes it might drop down to a few like 1-2, but people are constantly coming in and out.