Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Dijkstracula posted:

Wait, wait, what? What the hell are you talking about? Prolog is a logic language and has nothing to do with databases.

Datalog is an example to the contrary - logical programming makes it very easy to express the relationship between things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

tef posted:

Datalog is an example to the contrary - logical programming makes it very easy to express the relationship between things.
True, I'll grant you that, but you can't honestly claim that resolution is equivalent to a SQL query. edit: which I believe was his intention.

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 4, 2009

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Evil Home Stereo posted:

I need some ideas for a good way to go about solving this problem:

How do I code this efficiently without having to write out each possible calculation path?

Declaratively - you need to find a language in which you can express your constraints easily, and then use library code to solve it.

quote:

This is basically what I'm working with:
7 variables:
A,B,C,D,E,F,G
3 equations:
AB = CD + EF
A = C + E
G = C*V(D) + E*V(F) - A*V(B)
Where V(x) is a function

Given an 4 variables, find the rest.

You could do this in prolog but it would involve a lot of leg work, as although it is quite easy to write the solver, I'm not aware of any off the top of my head that will do enough for you.

Admittedly you could write a tiny constraint solver which would be fun.

Alternatively you could use a computer algebra system, which tend to cater to these sorts of programs.

Wikipedia is kinda useful here and it would be worth having a poke around:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Computer_algebra_systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SymPy

Evil Home Stereo
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the links, I'll check those out. I should point out that I'm an undergrad chemical engineering student so, while I have some computer science experience, it's only with things like Matlab and Java. Part of the problem is that we're trying to make a GUI with sliders for the variables, so you can change one of the values, and see how the rest move in response to that.

I should also add that we're trying to make this an app that we can put on a website so from what my boss is telling me there are limitations on what languages we can use. Is there any way to do this in Java, or a language similar to the ones I have experience with? I don't really understand why it is possible to solve this type of problem in some languages and not others.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The problem can be solved in any language, but it's easier in some than in others. Also, some languages end up working better for web programming because they have support from a webserver(Apache and mod_php) or their own server just for webapps in a particular language(Tomcat and Java)

I'd probably approach it with Javascript so that I could keep everything executing in the browser window for the sake of simplicity.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

royallthefourth posted:

I'd probably approach it with Javascript so that I could keep everything executing in the browser window for the sake of simplicity.

Yikes.

To Evil Home Stereo:

If you only know of matlab, then you may not realise how different things like mathematica, macsyma and similar things are - it is less about powerful calculations, but more about symbolic manipulation.

I would suggest looking at something like sage, which is a web based computer algebra system written in python.

You should be able to write formulas directly into it and solve them in the browser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAGE_(computer_algebra_system)#Calculus

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Home Stereo posted:

Thanks for the links, I'll check those out. I should point out that I'm an undergrad chemical engineering student so, while I have some computer science experience, it's only with things like Matlab and Java. Part of the problem is that we're trying to make a GUI with sliders for the variables, so you can change one of the values, and see how the rest move in response to that.

I should also add that we're trying to make this an app that we can put on a website so from what my boss is telling me there are limitations on what languages we can use. Is there any way to do this in Java, or a language similar to the ones I have experience with? I don't really understand why it is possible to solve this type of problem in some languages and not others.

It's possible to solve the problem in any Turing complete language (most of them).

Java applets have been around for over a decade and it's easy to add swing components to one to make your GUI.

Javascript + DHTML might also be a possibility as mentioned.

Most any language can be integrated into a GUI.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Evil Home Stereo posted:

I don't really understand why it is possible to solve this type of problem in some languages and not others.
It's not a matter of whether it's possible; as quadreb mentioned, an implication of two languages being Turing complete is that any algorithm* you can implement in one can be implemented in another. However, the nature of different languages makes certain kinds of problems far easier to do in some than in others. For instance, your problem is a good example of a constraint satisfaction problem (as tef pointed out, minimizing the V() function throws a wrench into the works, but otherwise it's a straightforward one). You can solve CSPs in any language; however, logic languages like Prolog were in some sense designed to solve this sort of problem, so the syntax and the back-end of the language makes solving these problems very straightforward. Of course you can do it in Java; look into a CSP library like this one if you like. Or, roll your own. :)

*algorithm isn't quite the right word; the technical term is "computable function", which has different implications, which delves into a bit more CS theory than you probably care about at this point.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Awhile ago I was asking a lot of questions about administering neural networks, and having used them long enough, I wanted to try to write up something of my own so that I can eliminate some of the unneeded abstraction for my own stuff and hopefully increase performance. Of course I'm getting stuck on 101 kind of stuff.

My big question: Do contemporary neural networks use threshold values in their neurons? I'm talking generally about anything in the past decade using a sigmoid function, rather than a boolean gate. I know thresholds were bandied around in previous generations, so I see it get thrown around all over the place online. But I also see it not mentioned at all.

Currently I have a basic way of connecting neurons, and I'm trying to find an example online for the XOR problem. I wanted to check if I have the basics going before I try to write training code of my own. The problem is that a lot of it is incomplete. I thought I'd try the one at the bottom of this page:

// Based on http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section3/SS1.htm

If I feed that topology in, I'm definiately not getting right answers. It's confusing. I could be doing it wrong though. If nobody else can suggest a working XOR toplogy I can mimic, we can start plodding through my code.

The Red Baron
Jan 10, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Awhile ago I was asking a lot of questions about administering neural networks, and having used them long enough, I wanted to try to write up something of my own so that I can eliminate some of the unneeded abstraction for my own stuff and hopefully increase performance. Of course I'm getting stuck on 101 kind of stuff.

My big question: Do contemporary neural networks use threshold values in their neurons? I'm talking generally about anything in the past decade using a sigmoid function, rather than a boolean gate. I know thresholds were bandied around in previous generations, so I see it get thrown around all over the place online. But I also see it not mentioned at all.

Currently I have a basic way of connecting neurons, and I'm trying to find an example online for the XOR problem. I wanted to check if I have the basics going before I try to write training code of my own. The problem is that a lot of it is incomplete. I thought I'd try the one at the bottom of this page:

// Based on http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section3/SS1.htm

If I feed that topology in, I'm definiately not getting right answers. It's confusing. I could be doing it wrong though. If nobody else can suggest a working XOR toplogy I can mimic, we can start plodding through my code.

The sigmoid function provides its own form of continuous-valued "threshold" through the shape of its graph, so you generally won't find explicit thresholds used there. Are you looking for options to change the topology of your network using genetic algorithms or are you just interested in getting a network to be able to solve the XOR problem (which is actually fairly historically notorious due to its non-linear separability)?

checkeredshawn
Jul 16, 2007

I'm writing a game on top of Google's App Engine for my English class (we're supposed to write to a public audience, so I figured I'd write a game and then write fake blog posts about it). Right now, the plan is to have the player submit or choose a category (we haven't decided on submit or choose yet), grab thumbnails of Google Image Search results for words within that category, and then have the player guess the word based on looking at the images (and possibly seeing the letters scrambled up).

My friend (who's writing the game with me) found this website onelook.com, and figured out that if you search on there for something like "*:emotion", it'll give you words related to emotion (http://onelook.com/?w=*%3Aemotion&ls=a). So I wrote some Python to scrape related word results from onelook. The issue I'm seeing now is that using this onelook site is not the best way to find words in a category. For example, the results on onelook for words related to "animals" are here: http://onelook.com/?w=*%3Aanimals&ls=a and just from eyeballing it, it looks like at least the results don't really contain any actual species of animals, which is what we would probably want for the game. I don't blame the site for this, we miscalculated what we needed.

So finally my question: are there any websites where I can find words separated into categories? Like a list of animals, emotions, foods, countries, etc.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

The Red Baron posted:

The sigmoid function provides its own form of continuous-valued "threshold" through the shape of its graph, so you generally won't find explicit thresholds used there. Are you looking for options to change the topology of your network using genetic algorithms or are you just interested in getting a network to be able to solve the XOR problem (which is actually fairly historically notorious due to its non-linear separability)?
I will be working on something with neuroevolution; I have some materials on NEAT and how to express a network as genomes and such. All I want right now is a unit test that solves XOR. I could do some code to implement backwards propagation, but if the network turns out not to be working, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's because of my understanding of NNs, or if I did backwards propagation wrong.

So if somebody has something describing a topology and weights already for solving XOR with which they have some confidence, I would want to see it so I could hand specify all of it and see if my model is correct. That's all.

The link I gave previously is coming up with a network that isn't solving XOR, but it's also showing a lot of irrelevant numbers, and I might not be reading the GIF image of the topology correctly.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So if somebody has something describing a topology and weights already for solving XOR with which they have some confidence, I would want to see it so I could hand specify all of it and see if my model is correct. That's all.

If you're just looking for any old example that solves the XOR problem it's not too hard to come up with one by hand:

Click here for the full 607x485 image.

Thresholds are drawn in the nodes, while connection weights are on the edges.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nippashish posted:

If you're just looking for any old example that solves the XOR problem it's not too hard to come up with one by hand:

Click here for the full 607x485 image.

Thresholds are drawn in the nodes, while connection weights are on the edges.
Gaaah see there it is. I'll google around and in one glance I'll read everybody's using sigmoids and thresholds are out. In another glance I'll get topologies with thresholds. I'm not implementing thresholds right now so I'm not really sure what to do. Should I just normalize all the input weights to each node so that the threshold would just be 1.0?

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Gaaah see there it is. I'll google around and in one glance I'll read everybody's using sigmoids and thresholds are out. In another glance I'll get topologies with thresholds. I'm not implementing thresholds right now so I'm not really sure what to do. Should I just normalize all the input weights to each node so that the threshold would just be 1.0?

I went with thresholds since the page you linked to is also using thresholds. A threshold function can be approximated with a very steep sigmoid function so in that sense thresholds are (almost) a special case of sigmoids. Sigmoids are analytically nicer to work with since they're differentiable, but AFAIK there aren't any fundamental differences in the types of problems they can solve (I am by no means an expert though).

edit:

To approximate thresholds with sigmoids if you have a transfer function like:

hardlim(x-b)

where x is the input and b is the threshold you can approximate that with a sigmoid using:

1/(1+exp(-100(x-b)))

or whatever your favorite sigmoid function is.

Nippashish fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 7, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'll have to add thresholds in my model then. Meanwhile:

Nippashish posted:

I went with thresholds since the page you linked to is also using thresholds.
It does? Is that expressed in the genomes? They're not in the diagram, which is what I'm trying to follow.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It does? Is that expressed in the genomes? They're not in the diagram, which is what I'm trying to follow.

They talk about thresholds here: http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section1.htm where they explain the transformation into a tree, but on closer reading it looks like they keep the thresholds at 1 and adjust only the weights/network structure (I think). They don't seem to include the weights in their encoding either though so I don't know what's going on there.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
So I have pretty much no programming knowledge and for the most part feel like I hit a rock with as far as I can go without delving deep into some coding tutorials. Basically, I have a batch that uses a program based in command prompt that generates a txt file. In the text file is a 4 digit integer that is always in the same place, but changes value everytime:

quote:

Handle v3.42
Copyright (C) 1997-2008 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - https://www.sysinternals.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
file.exe pid: 4328 PC\Jackson

The specific integer there in bold. The batch I created for now, will create the txt file then load it in notepad and then let me input the number by hand then finish it off.

code:
@echo off
cd C:\Handle

cls
handle -a -p l2.exe > file.txt

start notepad file.txt

set INPUT=
set /P INPUT=Type input: %=%

handle -c 5c4 -y -p %INPUT%
handle -c 5C0 -y -p %INPUT%
handle -c 6A8 -y -p %INPUT%
pause

runAs /profile /user:PC\Guest prgram.exe

exit
Everything works fine as it is but I just would prefer something I could just double click and have it do everything for me. I have a feeling it will require me to use something like VB but the only thing I ever really coded was in PASCAL back in the 9th grade. Any help would be appreciated.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nippashish posted:

They talk about thresholds here: http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section1.htm where they explain the transformation into a tree, but on closer reading it looks like they keep the thresholds at 1 and adjust only the weights/network structure (I think). They don't seem to include the weights in their encoding either though so I don't know what's going on there.
Then I guess I'll post my meager source code then and maybe I can come to some understanding about why it is failing. I'm hoping I find a glaring problem right after doing this and it's all over:

[edit]Heck, when I do the second example at http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section3/SS1.htm.
For a, b = 0 I should get near 0. I am doing out the math and getting 0.2765. Sure that's less than 0.5, but that's far from ideal. Perhaps these neurons aren't using the sigmoid function?

Neuron.java
code:
package main;
import java.util.ArrayList;

public class Neuron {
	protected ArrayList<Neuron> predecessors;
	protected ArrayList<Neuron> successors;	
	protected ArrayList<Integer> successorSlots;	// Slight perf enhancement: we know where in the successor input arrays our output goes.
	protected ArrayList<Double> inputWeights;
	protected ArrayList<Double> inputs;
	protected double output;
	protected int ID;
	private static int rotatingIDs = 0;

public Neuron() throws Exception {
		predecessors = new ArrayList<Neuron>();
		successors = new ArrayList<Neuron>();
		successorSlots = new ArrayList<Integer>();
		inputWeights = new ArrayList<Double>();
		inputs = new ArrayList<Double>();
		ID = rotatingIDs;
		rotatingIDs++;		// Increment IDs pointer.  Overflow could happen. :(
		if(rotatingIDs == 0) {
			throw new Exception("Overflow occurred incrementing Neuron rotating ID pointers");
		}

// Output value is undefined until we run a calculation.
		output = new Double(Double.NaN);
	}

public void addPredecessor(Neuron predecessor, double weight) {
		predecessors.add(predecessor);
		inputWeights.add(weight);
		predecessor.successors.add(this);		

inputs.add(predecessor.output);
		predecessor.successorSlots.add(inputs.size() - 1);
	}

public void linkToSuccessor(Neuron successor, double weight) {
		successor.addPredecessor(this, weight);
	}

// Evaluation function that fires based on predecessors, and propagates the result to successors.
	public double stimulate() {
		double summation = 0.0d;
		for(int predIdx = 0; predIdx < predecessors.size(); predIdx++) {
			summation += inputWeights.get(predIdx) * inputs.get(predIdx);
		}

// Apply to sigmoid function: 1 / (1 + e^-t)
		output = 1 / (1 + Math.exp(-1.0d * summation));

// Propagate to successors.
		for(int succIdx = 0; succIdx < successors.size(); succIdx++) {
			successors.get(succIdx).inputs.set(successorSlots.get(succIdx), output);
		}

return output;
	}

public double getOutput() {
		return output;
	}

public boolean equals(Object comparee) {
		if(!(comparee instanceof Neuron)) {
			return false;
		} else {
			Neuron compareeNeuron = (Neuron) comparee;
			return compareeNeuron.ID == ID;
		}
	}

// If we override equals() we have to re-implement hashCode()
	public int hashCode() {
		return 		successors.hashCode()
				^ 	predecessors.hashCode()
				^ 	successorSlots.hashCode()
				^ 	inputWeights.hashCode();				
	}

public static void main(String args[]) {
		try {

// Based on [url]http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section3/SS1.htm[/url]

InputNeuron x = new InputNeuron();
			InputNeuron y = new InputNeuron();

// 2nd tree (commented out)
/*			Neuron hidden1 = new Neuron();
			Neuron outputNeuron = new Neuron();

hidden1.addPredecessor(x, 0.773);
			hidden1.addPredecessor(y, 0.443);

outputNeuron.addPredecessor(hidden1, -1.924);
			outputNeuron.addPredecessor(x, 1.161);
			outputNeuron.addPredecessor(y, 1.161);

x.stimulate(1.0d);
			y.stimulate(0.0d);

hidden1.stimulate();

System.out.println(outputNeuron.stimulate());
*/

// 1st tree (commented out)
			Neuron hidden1 = new Neuron();
			Neuron hidden2 = new Neuron();
			Neuron outputNeuron = new Neuron();

hidden1.addPredecessor(x, -0.342);
			hidden1.addPredecessor(x, 1.694);
			hidden1.addPredecessor(x, 1.175);
			hidden1.addPredecessor(y, 1.956);

hidden2.addPredecessor(x, 1.088);
			hidden2.addPredecessor(y, -0.738);
			hidden2.addPredecessor(y, -1.694);

outputNeuron.addPredecessor(hidden1, 1.694);
			outputNeuron.addPredecessor(hidden2, -0.738);
			outputNeuron.addPredecessor(x, 1.088);

x.stimulate(0.0d);
			y.stimulate(0.0d);

hidden1.stimulate();
			hidden2.stimulate();

System.out.println(outputNeuron.stimulate());

} catch(Exception e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}
	}
}
InputNeuron
code:
package main;

public class InputNeuron extends Neuron {

public InputNeuron() throws Exception {
		super();
	}

public void addPredecessor(Neuron predecessor, double weight) {
		// No predecessor
	}

public void stimulate(Double _output) {
		output = _output;

// Propagate to successors.
		for(int succIdx = 0; succIdx < successors.size(); succIdx++) {
			successors.get(succIdx).inputs.set(successorSlots.get(succIdx), output);
		}
	}

}
The output with [0,0] inputs to this supposed XOR comes out as "0.6172754928067907."

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 7, 2009

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Then I guess I'll post my meager source code then and maybe I can come to some understanding about why it is failing. I'm hoping I find a glaring problem right after doing this and it's all over:

[edit]Heck, when I do the second example at http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/GepBook/Chapter5/Section3/SS1.htm.
For a, b = 0 I should get near 0. I am doing out the math and getting 0.2765. Sure that's less than 0.5, but that's far from ideal. Perhaps these neurons aren't using the sigmoid function?

Neuron.java
code:

The output with [0,0] inputs to this supposed XOR comes out as "0.6172754928067907."

Yeah, thresholds really aren't being used often anymore. I'm not sure if this explains anything but one thing I notice is different in your code compared to the neat-python neural net implementation is that the output is set to plus or minus 1 if the inputs exceed plus or minus 30. You might also try out using hyperbolic tan rather than the logistic function sigmoid.

Check it out and test it against yours to see where they differ.

http://code.google.com/p/neat-python/source/browse/trunk/neat/nn/nn_pure.py

tripwire fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2009

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I've got a question about Makefiles.

I've got a Fortran program with about two dozen subroutines, all of which are dependent on 1-4 modules. For ease of editing, all the subroutines are in their own .f90 files; for the sake of clarity, I'd like to move 12 or so of those .f90 files into a subdirectory and leave them there. Here's the issue: I can't figure out how to get the Makefile to create and keep the .o files in the subdirectory, and how to make sure the program knows the .o files are there when it runs.

I've searched Google, but either I'm not using the right search terms or I don't know enough about Makefiles to understand why the results are useful to me.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Grundulum posted:

I've got a question about Makefiles.

I've got a Fortran program with about two dozen subroutines, all of which are dependent on 1-4 modules. For ease of editing, all the subroutines are in their own .f90 files; for the sake of clarity, I'd like to move 12 or so of those .f90 files into a subdirectory and leave them there. Here's the issue: I can't figure out how to get the Makefile to create and keep the .o files in the subdirectory, and how to make sure the program knows the .o files are there when it runs.

I've searched Google, but either I'm not using the right search terms or I don't know enough about Makefiles to understand why the results are useful to me.

Explicitly pass -o subdir/file.o as an option?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Right now the problem I'm having is getting the subdirectory commands to locate the modules in the primary directory. I figure one way around this might be to kludge together a script that copies over the module files as part of the make, but that seems inelegant. Is there a better way to get make commands in subdirectories to recognize dependencies in other directories?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Are you talking about the INCLUDE statement in FORTRAN? (I don't know the language, though I should). If so, add -I.. to the command-line options to search the parent directory for includes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
No, I was being a buffoon. Dependencies are stupidly easy to locate in other directories, but other error messages convinced me I was doing it incorrectly.

The correct way is filename: relative path to dependency, e.g. foo.o: foo.f90 dir/bar.mod.

In one of my previous Google searches, I came up with the string "$(@D)/$(<F) -o $(@D)/$(@F)", which seems to do the trick. I have no clue what all those variables stand for, but I'm pretty sure I could find it in the GNU page on make.

Fake edit: well, poo poo. The insane errors I've been getting aren't related to my shifting object files around. I just moved everything back to the usual directory, ran make as usual, and submitted the job, and I'm getting the same errors. It's the cluster that's having the issues, not me. gently caress, that was a waste of five hours. Guess I'll post again if I have questions. Thanks for your help, Avenging Dentist.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

tripwire posted:

Yeah, thresholds really aren't being used often anymore. I'm not sure if this explains anything but one thing I notice is different in your code compared to the neat-python neural net implementation is that the output is set to plus or minus 1 if the inputs exceed plus or minus 30. You might also try out using hyperbolic tan rather than the logistic function sigmoid.

Check it out and test it against yours to see where they differ.

http://code.google.com/p/neat-python/source/browse/trunk/neat/nn/nn_pure.py
I wrote my own little layered neural network code that now goes through each layer, propagating the results to the output, so I think I'm just going to proceed with backwards propagation and cross my fingers. Over the time my confidence has been improving that I have some handle on how these things work. I'm thinking I'll start an AI thread once I have the back propagation code up, as eventually I'd like to implement EANT in Java. I have a ton of dirty tricks for Java performance and a personal need for my networks to train more quickly.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a ton of dirty tricks for Java performance

You should post these anyway

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Rocko, if you want there is existing very good (and fast) c implementations of various kinds of neural nets. Shouldn't you be able to inject that code into your java application if you are concerned about performance?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

tripwire posted:

Rocko, if you want there is existing very good (and fast) c implementations of various kinds of neural nets. Shouldn't you be able to inject that code into your java application if you are concerned about performance?
It depends on the API to the C implementation. If the native code functions like a microkernel where I dump it a batch of data and let it loose for awhile, I could imagine it performing pretty well. If instead I had to, for example, call the native functions every time I wanted to evaluate the network, it might turn out to be worse. I would pay the cost of transforming my data to conform to the native code, then there's the overhead of the JVM handing control over to the native code and back.

The code I've written that is using the neural networks is in Java, so there's Java in some form or another. If I went to C I'd have to deal with the native interface in all its glory. A microkernel would mean reducing the number of times it goes back and forth.

What I'd really like would be a common way of instantiating neurons across languages. With these genetic neural networks, I don't see why one couldn't construct a network in Java as in C using the genes. So I could train the network in a highly-optimized, native C program (that is free to actually optimize double-precision numbers). Then I could dump the genes out to disk and have a Java version of the same load these genes and create a network out of it. Really, the two libraries could be completely different with different APIs, so long as they could build the network from each other's output.

Even in Java you could have two different ways of representing a network. One would have the layers in dynamic structures so you can add or remove neurons and links when it's time to play with the topologies, but you could then reload the network into one that uses fixed arrays and all of that overhead goes away. I assume this would be EANT-friendly because EANT only plays with the topology in certain phases, right?

One wholesale trick I was considering was to instantiate the current neat4j library I'm using in my own little wrapper, and call its main method with a small, dummy training set. Each time the methods inside the library exit, they get a chance to be recompiled to be faster. So after a few dummy runs with data that doesn't even concern me, I could hit it with the large workload that I care about, and it should run much faster. I believe the JVMs were getting better at being able to recompile on the fly--even in code that's actively running--so I don't know how relevant that is anymore.

The biggest problem though is the floating-point arithmetic. Java won't reorder those at all. They've bandied around a revision of the Java specification for awhile now to do fast FP, but it's never gone anywhere. I think that JSR is something like a decade old. I suspect the big computational cruncher in the network is basically the multiply-add loops going into the activation functions, but I'll profile before I conclude that. In a native x86 compiler, it should be able to sort out a much better solution to calculating them (MAD instructions come to mind).

Edit: Wow my back propagation neural network is really screwing up. I don't think I'll be starting a thread on AI for awhile.

Edit 2: What's a good, trustworthy source for neural network 101 kind of stuff? I'm using this site right now: http://richardbowles.tripod.com/neural/neural.htm

I started with another site and implemented their backwards propagation algorithm. I was modifying the weights before calculating the errors for the preceding neurons, which apparently is a big no-no. The other site didn't make any mention of this, and from the notation, I actually assumed I was supposed to do that. I'm sure I have my own stupid mistakes, but I suspect all my bugs right now are conceptually-related.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 10, 2009

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It depends on the API to the C implementation. If the native code functions like a microkernel where I dump it a batch of data and let it loose for awhile, I could imagine it performing pretty well. If instead I had to, for example, call the native functions every time I wanted to evaluate the network, it might turn out to be worse. I would pay the cost of transforming my data to conform to the native code, then there's the overhead of the JVM handing control over to the native code and back.

The code I've written that is using the neural networks is in Java, so there's Java in some form or another. If I went to C I'd have to deal with the native interface in all its glory. A microkernel would mean reducing the number of times it goes back and forth.

What I'd really like would be a common way of instantiating neurons across languages. With these genetic neural networks, I don't see why one couldn't construct a network in Java as in C using the genes. So I could train the network in a highly-optimized, native C program (that is free to actually optimize double-precision numbers). Then I could dump the genes out to disk and have a Java version of the same load these genes and create a network out of it. Really, the two libraries could be completely different with different APIs, so long as they could build the network from each other's output.

Even in Java you could have two different ways of representing a network. One would have the layers in dynamic structures so you can add or remove neurons and links when it's time to play with the topologies, but you could then reload the network into one that uses fixed arrays and all of that overhead goes away. I assume this would be EANT-friendly because EANT only plays with the topology in certain phases, right?

One wholesale trick I was considering was to instantiate the current neat4j library I'm using in my own little wrapper, and call its main method with a small, dummy training set. Each time the methods inside the library exit, they get a chance to be recompiled to be faster. So after a few dummy runs with data that doesn't even concern me, I could hit it with the large workload that I care about, and it should run much faster. I believe the JVMs were getting better at being able to recompile on the fly--even in code that's actively running--so I don't know how relevant that is anymore.

The biggest problem though is the floating-point arithmetic. Java won't reorder those at all. They've bandied around a revision of the Java specification for awhile now to do fast FP, but it's never gone anywhere. I think that JSR is something like a decade old. I suspect the big computational cruncher in the network is basically the multiply-add loops going into the activation functions, but I'll profile before I conclude that. In a native x86 compiler, it should be able to sort out a much better solution to calculating them (MAD instructions come to mind).

Edit: Wow my back propagation neural network is really screwing up. I don't think I'll be starting a thread on AI for awhile.
First off, I'll admit that my knowledge of how to interface C and java code is mostly nonexistent. However, the C versions of the neural nets included with neat-python are written in a highly portable manner, so I assume there has to be some way of substituting them in for your java NN code.

I know you are really set on java and the neat4j package but I highly recommend taking a look at the architecture of the neat-python package because (in my opinion) it solves these issues in a very elegant manner. I'm not sure how much of that is due to nicities of the python-c api, or how much would be applicable to java or the way you have your project set up now, but it might be worth a look over.

The author's first language isn't english so some of the classes have names which might be seen as confusing: chromosome.py for example contains the definition of a Chromosome class; this is the class used at the conceptual level of the genetic algorithm, and contains a structured set of node/neuron genes and connection/synapse genes. At the conceptual level of the genetic algorithm, its really not important what specific implementation is used for neural nets or their constituent components. The actual type of neural net that is used to implement a given chromosome can be a specialized subclass like a feedforward net or a continuous time recurrent net (the python C api makes it possible and easy to drop in C implementations if one desires).

Here is an example from when I was trying to use NEAT to evolve walking gaits for ragdoll models: http://pastebin.com/m1eadde5f
That code is responsible for feeding input values into a neat-python neural net, and applying the output values to some muscles in a simulator. I import the pure python implementation of the neural net there in the second line:
code:
from neat.nn import nn_pure as nn
I could just as well imported the c neural net implementation; the idea is they can be used interchangeably because they both have methods "create_phenotype" and "activate". I don't have to care about the nitty gritty details of how the phenotype is implemented, all I care is that it has an activate method. I don't see why you can't do this with java and c, but then like I said I have a very dim idea of how java and C interoperate.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Also rocko: check this guys page out http://mypage.iu.edu/~rdbeer/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm not so seat on neat4j, but I am set on java since the network is a small part of something I've written over a year that's in the tens of thousands of lines of code. So the final network would have to run in Java, even if I, say, trained the networks using a program in another language.

Since I'm having so much trouble, I might try some basic stuff with those Python libraries to validate that I'm doing the basics correctly.

I don't know much about the Python-C interface, other than hearing about it being very fast for language bridges. The Java-native interface is very slow, meant more for supporting legacy stuff that you can't just rid yourself of for whatever you're doing in Java. It's very difficult to lean on it for a performance boost, since whatever native code goes under the hood will have make up for the lost cycles the JVM consumes in relinquishing and regaining control.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Here's a total retard question. Designing a site with Dreamweaver:

I've created a page, and wanted to make sure that the best (and only?) way to get it to center on various resolutions is by using frames. Is that true, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Cock Inspector posted:

Here's a total retard question. Designing a site with Dreamweaver:

I've created a page, and wanted to make sure that the best (and only?) way to get it to center on various resolutions is by using frames. Is that true, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

<div style="width: whatever; margin: auto;">

</div>

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I sorted out my back propagation issues. For testing, I thought I was being smart by using a deterministic weight of 0.5 on every link. The problem with that is my network is also symmetrical, so all the links will end up getting adjusted the same amount during each correction. So it would end up deadlocking. When I randomized all the weights, it trained right up.

I'm thinking it's time to move this stuff off into an AI thread here. Is anybody game to that? My own contributions to the thread would be pretty weak, since I'd be mostly asking questions that would get me moving more towards implementing EANT in Java.

Another thing about Java optimization is that if you can apply things like the distributive property to floating-point numbers, do so manually. The JVM will issue the floating-point instructions in the order they're given in the code. I believe that's also due to precision paranoia.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

When I randomized all the weights, it trained right up.

Sufficiently randomized starting is absolutely critical to any sort of evolutionary algorithm, otherwise the algorithm doesn't have a large enough search space to work with.

dilbread
Apr 29, 2003
In Terminal, I accidentally copied a directory to my /Users/dilbread directory instead of /Users/dilbread/files/ directory and now my Users/dilbread directory is swimming in a pile of poop. Is there anything I can do besides ls -lt and just deleting the newer files one by one?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dilbread posted:

In Terminal, I accidentally copied a directory to my /Users/dilbread directory instead of /Users/dilbread/files/ directory and now my Users/dilbread directory is swimming in a pile of poop. Is there anything I can do besides ls -lt and just deleting the newer files one by one?

http://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/1078-moving-files-based-creation-date.html

Moreover, http://www.google.com/search?q=moving+files+by+date+unix&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

dilbread
Apr 29, 2003
Thank you, I know to look on Google but I wasn't sure what to search for exactly. I was getting all the wrong results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I'm using fread in VC++ 9 to read a binary file, and it keeps returning me a bad pointer

code:
	int size;
	FILE* fr;
	char* buffer;
	if (fopen_s(&fr, "data.bin", "rb") != 0)
		f = fread (&buffer, sizeof(char), size, fr);
f ends up being the correct number of bytes, but buffer is a bad pointer. What am I doing wrong?