Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

HPL posted:

As a tip for Canadians, https://www.photo-co.com has pretty good prices on film. I got a bulk roll of HP5+ for $53CDN.

I tried to order some Tri-X 400 from them. They didn't ship anything out after a week or two. I emailed them, got one of those "I will find out for you" emails and no emails after that. I ended up canceling my order and getting my film from Vistek for a few bucks more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

CanuckBassist posted:

I tried to order some Tri-X 400 from them. They didn't ship anything out after a week or two. I emailed them, got one of those "I will find out for you" emails and no emails after that. I ended up canceling my order and getting my film from Vistek for a few bucks more.

My order came pretty promptly from time of ordering. No complaints on my part. Shipping was good too. Overall, I probably saved a ton of cash over buying it at the local store considering that I would have to drive almost an hour each way, pay for parking, pay PST and not to mention the higher prices by ~$10 per bulk roll. That plus the decent camera stores around here are rarely open when it's convenient for me.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Whaaat?! I put an order in for some Portra and Tri-X a few months back with Photoco and I just got dicked around for weeks by the lady there. I just ended up canceling my order too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Did you guys submit your orders written on a burnt Quebec flag or something?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Anybody want or need an enlarger?

I got a Durst F30 free off the local Craigslist-problem is that the F30 is 35mm only. I'm keeping the other goodies but I found a Omega 700 at the Stavation Army and it does 120, so I would like to pass the F30 along to a new owner.
Whoever wants to pay the shipping (cost not known yet) can have it. If you happen to live in southcentral AK, pickup is fine but what's the likelyhood of that?

akgnomad@gmail.com

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I recently obtained a roll of Kodachrome from a friend-of-a-friend. I am unsure of its age, probably at least a few years old. The man wasn't and isn't a photographer, but he does sculptures and paintings. He seemed surprised that the film was in his fridge. He says it was from when he needed to shoot photos of his art projects in school. I can't find any expiration date on the film, and it would seem it has lived in the fridge for much of its time since he bought it. What kind of colour shifts, if any, should I expect? Is there any way (markings, era-specific nomenclature) to determine its age and whether it might be past the point of usability? I'm currently storing it with my Velvia in the freezer.

Edit: I took a photo of it, to help I.D. it. I don't know; they probably have used the same markings on the cans for years.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 3, 2009

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Hi all, it's been a little while. I am looking at Hasselblad 200's and 500's, and have quickly noted the sharp price difference. Of course many sites of fans of the 200's say they're worth the money, and the 500's say they are good enough. What's what? I am looking for a new favorite MF camera. I'm open to the Mamiyas, but I'm still a bit of at sucker for the aesthetics of the Hasselblads. Does anyone here own one that they can recommend? The requirements are:
-interchangeable backs
-interchangeable lenses
-meter (prism ok, but I prefer in-body, hence the 200 series)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

pwn posted:

I recently obtained a roll of Kodachrome from a friend-of-a-friend. I am unsure of its age, probably at least a few years old. The man wasn't and isn't a photographer, but he does sculptures and paintings. He seemed surprised that the film was in his fridge. He says it was from when he needed to shoot photos of his art projects in school. I can't find any expiration date on the film, and it would seem it has lived in the fridge for much of its time since he bought it. What kind of colour shifts, if any, should I expect? Is there any way (markings, era-specific nomenclature) to determine its age and whether it might be past the point of usability? I'm currently storing it with my Velvia in the freezer.

Edit: I took a photo of it, to help I.D. it. I don't know; they probably have used the same markings on the cans for years.

Good luck getting that developed, haha! I still have an undeveloped roll of that sitting in my drawer right now.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You'll need to send it in to http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/ for processing (I hear you can drop it at walmart and they'll send it in and charge you less?).

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah, I already knew about Dwayne's. :p Do they do decent scans? It seems like they use those awful Kodak Picture CDs, but I'm mostly concerned with resolution. It's going to be insanely expensive if I have to get them scanned somewhere else (local lab charges 69 cents each slide.)

It's weird that Kodak apparently made their last batch about a year ago, with a 2009 expiration date, but there's still places that have it in stock. When Polaroid went under it seemed like it wasn't long until the remaining stocks were gone. I should order a few rolls on pay day for the freezer and a summer day (oh yeah.)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I've heard mixed reviews of their scanning, mostly bad. You don't know anyone with a scanner?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Reichstag posted:

I've heard mixed reviews of their scanning, mostly bad. You don't know anyone with a scanner?
No. :( I think it's coming time to bite the bullet and research and buy a decent scanner. Along with a darkroom and some bulk loading supplies. I've probably spent enough on single rolls, developing and scanning to pay for either one of those things. Glad I've been keeping all my film canisters though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

I had my first two rolls of Kodachrome scanned by Dwayne's. The crappy scan job pretty much turned me off to Kodachrome for the next year. Although some of the poor quality may have stemmed from the old Minolta rangefinder I was using. I just finished a roll in my significantly newer Minolta SLR so we'll see how much better 30 year old technology is compared to 60 year. Plus I'll actually get prints this time.

Took my old Yashica out into the desert for the first time in years:

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Did a (relatively) low resolution scan of a 4x5 at a buddies place and fiddled with the raw for a bit. I see why people like lightroom and stuff so much I GUESS.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

first roll of b&w ever!!! tri-x 400 (on a pentax 6x7):

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

These are wonderful. Blacks look a bit washed out but most likely that's my lovely laptop's fault. I've been looking at finding a medium format SLR for a while, the Pentax 67 is a bit of a heavy motherfucker y/n?

Can't wait to go spend a day in the lab scanning nine months' worth of film rohhhh boyyy

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Mello Clello posted:

These are wonderful. Blacks look a bit washed out but most likely that's my lovely laptop's fault. I've been looking at finding a medium format SLR for a while, the Pentax 67 is a bit of a heavy motherfucker y/n?

Can't wait to go spend a day in the lab scanning nine months' worth of film rohhhh boyyy

You bet it is, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, 6x7 is waaay better than square format.

Square is for squares!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

That's all I've got to say.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Film measured in millimeters is a waste of time anyway so the point is kind of moot.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Who's talking about miniature cameras? :c00lbert:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

does anyone have a good technique for scanning Polaroids? Thankfully, I have my own scanner. But having to redraw the scanning parameters in Picasa over and over again is really annoying. I'd rather just set the length/width in some sort of type-in box beforehand so it can be exact.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I found a Polaroid Model 95 at a yard sale yesterday, and purchased it for ten bucks. The bellows are a little crushed and I can see a tiny, tiny hole when holding it up to the light, but otherwise the camera looks to be in really good shape.

I've also found instructions online on how to adapt the camera to accept 120 film, but has anyone here done this, or, figured out another way to make the camera useable?

I love the look of it, leather-bound, metal trim, large bellows, and can be tripod mounted horizontal and vertical with a little pop-out viewfinder. It would be a shame if it only ever sat on my shelf.

LEGO Conversion Instructions

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

The Affair posted:

I found a Polaroid Model 95 at a yard sale yesterday, and purchased it for ten bucks. The bellows are a little crushed and I can see a tiny, tiny hole when holding it up to the light, but otherwise the camera looks to be in really good shape.

I've also found instructions online on how to adapt the camera to accept 120 film, but has anyone here done this, or, figured out another way to make the camera useable?

I love the look of it, leather-bound, metal trim, large bellows, and can be tripod mounted horizontal and vertical with a little pop-out viewfinder. It would be a shame if it only ever sat on my shelf.

LEGO Conversion Instructions

That would make for a cool 120 camera, any idea of the image size? I'd imagine you could get a panorama 120 size out of those optics, 6xlarge.

As for me, I need to stop going to yard sales. Camera follow me home every weekend. I think I need an intervention

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Kind of taking an SA-siesta right now, but thought I'd mention my ASA 1600 modified XA is on eBay. Gotta make room for the R3a on the way :hellyeah:

If the Bronica kit I have listed doesn't sell at its current price today I'll probably relist it at $599, for anyone who's interested.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Kind of taking an SA-siesta right now, but thought I'd mention my ASA 1600 modified XA is on eBay. Gotta make room for the R3a on the way :hellyeah:

If the Bronica kit I have listed doesn't sell at its current price today I'll probably relist it at $599, for anyone who's interested.

Oh hi, I'm currently watching your action. Small world, eh?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

does anyone have a good technique for scanning Polaroids? Thankfully, I have my own scanner. But having to redraw the scanning parameters in Picasa over and over again is really annoying. I'd rather just set the length/width in some sort of type-in box beforehand so it can be exact.

1. Stop using Picasa

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
Yeah, dude. VueScan all the way.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Has anyone got an opinion on which scanner wins out of Canon 5600F vs. Epson V300, for the purpose of scanning 35mm slides? The Epsons seem to be quite highly regarded, the Canon is a bit newer and so I can't find many reviews on it. The Canon has a form of IR dust removal which the V300 lacks. I know about the V500 and 8800F etc but they're not in my budget right now.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

My favourites here are probably the Yashica Minister 700, FED1f NKVD, Nikomat, Olympus Chrome Six and the Polaroid SX70.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

trueblue posted:

Has anyone got an opinion on which scanner wins out of Canon 5600F vs. Epson V300, for the purpose of scanning 35mm slides? The Epsons seem to be quite highly regarded, the Canon is a bit newer and so I can't find many reviews on it. The Canon has a form of IR dust removal which the V300 lacks. I know about the V500 and 8800F etc but they're not in my budget right now.

Locally, the 8800 was $50 more than the 5600, not sure if that holds true in your area, but I think worth the extra money for the ability to scan 120. If you don't think you will ever need that ability, the 5600 should be OK.

I haven't scanned any chromes with it yet, but the 8800 does a good job on negatives. Much better than photofinishing scans.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Gnomad posted:

Locally, the 8800 was $50 more than the 5600, not sure if that holds true in your area, but I think worth the extra money for the ability to scan 120. If you don't think you will ever need that ability, the 5600 should be OK.

I haven't scanned any chromes with it yet, but the 8800 does a good job on negatives. Much better than photofinishing scans.

Annoyingly the 5600F here costs about as much as a 8800F in the USA. An 8800 here also works out to be 1.5x the price of the 5600.

I'm pretty confident that I won't be scanning 120 in the forseeable future, I don't know if there were many differences between the 5600/8800 other than this ability. I hope not, because I've heard that the 8800 has pretty good quality.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Is this the one you mean by 8800F? Because It's on Amazon it's only $20 or so more than the 5600F. And for that price I think I'm going to get it. What kinds of resolution does it scan? I love big 22 MP (3339 x 5035) scans of slide film. This would pay for itself easily in a month or two for me. Does it come with the film holders and such?

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

I HATE CARS posted:

My favourites here are probably the Yashica Minister 700, FED1f NKVD, Nikomat, Olympus Chrome Six and the Polaroid SX70.

How is the Fed working out for you? I'm considering picking one up when I'm in St Petersburg later this month. Do you guesstimate exposure or do you use a light meter? Is whole thing about cocking the shutter before changing the shutter speed as much of a pain to remember as it sounds?

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rednik posted:

How is the Fed working out for you? I'm considering picking one up when I'm in St Petersburg later this month. Do you guesstimate exposure or do you use a light meter? Is whole thing about cocking the shutter before changing the shutter speed as much of a pain to remember as it sounds?

The FED is a beautiful piece of work, but I rarely ever use it just because I don't find it as good as my 'workhorse' cameras (the Yashica Minister 700, Olympus Chrome Six and Nikomat) to use all the time, and the fact that it's in near-perfect condition and a 'rare' model means that it spends most of its time on the shelf, unfortunately. Maybe when I finally steal the set of Leica lenses that my girlfriends grandfather has I'll be using it a little bit more :v:

I use Sunny 16 for exposure, or one of the digitals if I have them with me and want to be a bit more exact. But I'm rarely that off with Sunny 16 anyway these days.

Cocking the shutter before changing the shutter speed hasn't yet been a problem for me, and I'm yet to meet anybody who really has found it a problem. Even cutting leaders by hand isn't really that hard.

If you're going to pick one up then I recommend looking at FEDKA. You pay a little more but you're guaranteed higher quality (which can sometimes be a problem with these old Russian cameras).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I can vouch for FedKA, I got my Jupiter 8 there. Good service and the extra money you pay over ebay is worth it not to get a lemon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
drat you guys and your russian rangefinders. Now I really want a zorki 6.

birdboots
May 21, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Sooo, I picked this baby up for NZD$15. Finally, I almost have something to do with all the negs sitting in my closet...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-samurai posted:

drat you guys and your russian rangefinders. Now I really want a zorki 6.

I want a Zorki 10, I'm gonna say it's probably the most attractively designed camera of all time.

:allears:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 9, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

pwn posted:

Is this the one you mean by 8800F? Because It's on Amazon it's only $20 or so more than the 5600F. And for that price I think I'm going to get it. What kinds of resolution does it scan? I love big 22 MP (3339 x 5035) scans of slide film. This would pay for itself easily in a month or two for me. Does it come with the film holders and such?

That's the one. Mine came with 35mm, 120 and slide carriers, is reasonably fast, will scan 10-11 or so 35mm or 4 or so 120s in a batch, the slide carrier has 4 spaces so I assume it will do a batch of 4. The scanning software is a bit goofy. If you try to overthink the process, it'll drive you buggy, basically, pick the resolution (9600x9600 IIRC) do a preview, check the images you want and go have a sandwich. A dozen 35mm takes 20-30 minutes at high resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I've just gotten a hold of 3 enlargers from a local school, all are Durst, I think 2 were M-305s and the third was a higher number, which could do medium format with the proper lens and holder but had plastic holders.

Apologies for crappy cell-phone picture

But they seem to lack the proper lamps, examination of the sockets inside them makes it looks like they use regular 75W tungsten lamps, could this be correct?

One of the M-305s had a 12V 100W halogen lamp installed + a fairly complex filter system with 3 knobs for each colour, but no focusing screen or transformer to drive it.

Also what kind of paper + developer is good for a newbie who'll probably need to make a whole lot of prints without going bankrupt?