Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I dunno that its really so much larger as noticeably taller by a fair margin. The higher hood thanks to pedestrian safety isn't helping it look close to the ground either.

The picture at first glance makes it seem huge, but looking at it from both angles it really just seems a lot taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like the old one was stung by a bee.

The underlying physical dimensions may be close, it's just puffy.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Wow. It looks kind of like a tarted up Camry (in terms of its bloatedness).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
One of the fun things about older Legacy's is that they stuck out in a crowd of regular sedans. This new one looks more generic :(

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just got back from my first Track Day/Time Trial. My friend has been trying to get me to go with him for about a year. I finally bit the bullet and went with him to NJ Motorsports Park (Thunderbolt). He runs with EMRA and they are definitely a friendly bunch. Was tons of fun and a huge change from auto-x with SCCA NNJR. I'll definitely be trying to go to more in the future. I have alot of room for improvement; but, the car felt good. Unfortunately, no pics of the car on track or anything fun like that. I only have pics of my brake dust covered wheels at the end of the day. They should be bright silver

Fronts

Rears

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Well if anyone wondered at what power level Ver 6 transmissions become unreliable, that answer would be about 300 to the wheels. I blew 3rd gear today.

I was just hitting the classic "wall of torque" this engine is known for and BOOM, *crackle, crackle, crackle*. Thankfully it was only 2 miles from home and i was able to limp it back in 2nd and 4th.

So my options as of the moment are all ridiculously expensive for my budget, but I'm leaning towards the dogbox/PPG/other aftermarket gear because A. It's a bitch to find a good condition 4.44 tranny (case in point) B. I rather not blow up another gear again.

Any other opinions?

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

The MFactory gear set is an option its suposed to be stronger then RA gears but no where near as strong as ppgs.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I was the victim of a Subaru hate crime :smith:

I got it cleaned off and don't see any paint damage, thank god. Based on where the egg hit, I'm guessing they were aiming for the hood scoop. I don't think any of my neighbors got egged, but who knows, none of them are around to ask.

I hope the fine example of humanity that did this breaks his knees.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 31, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Bob Sapp Please posted:

Vincent: What's more chickenshit than loving with a man's automobile? I mean, don't gently caress with another man's vehicle.
Lance: You don't do it.
Vincent: It's just against the rules.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So, it looks like the insulation under my hood has decided to start peeling off - my engine was making a godawful noise the other day, or so I thought - when I pulled over, I found the hood wasn't sitting flush cause some of the insulating strip was hanging off and propping it open slightly. Am I safe to use something like gorilla glue to re-attach it for the time being?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Dude really, get that egg off NOW. It fucks up paint royally in my experience.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

TurboLuvah posted:

Dude really, get that egg off NOW. It fucks up paint royally in my experience.

I got it off immediately after I took the picture. I took pics just in case the paint was damaged and I had to file an insurance claim.

Fortunately, no paint damage was caused by the egg.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Oh god, more Legacy fun! My 06 GT is now making a godawful noise on startup - the whole engine sounds deep and rumbly, almost like a V8, and sounds like it's groaning almost. After about 2 minutes though, the noise goes away, and it runs completely fine.

It's not throwing any codes, and according to my Accessport, is hitting full boost and whatnot - it's got a AEM cold air intake, Perrin catless uppipe, Perrin catted downpipe, and Perrin TMIC, running a custom PDX map if that's relevant.

Any ideas?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
probably a slight exhaust leak that goes away when things heat up and expand.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So probably pretty harmless if I leave it alone then, eh? Just goes to further reinforce that I'm not buying anything from Perrin in the future, the fitment on their stuff has been utter crap.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Question for you guys. From the pictures I've seen the homelink mirror for Subies all look the same. For 08 and up on the tech site the part numbers are H501SXA200 and H501SXA201. However both install guides say that the part works for Imprezas. Have these things changed at all since the mid 2000s? I was thinking that a trip to the junk yard might be in order to try and find one.

Oh, car is a 2009 WRX sedan. Just picked it up last weekend!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tremblay posted:

Question for you guys. From the pictures I've seen the homelink mirror for Subies all look the same. For 08 and up on the tech site the part numbers are H501SXA200 and H501SXA201. However both install guides say that the part works for Imprezas. Have these things changed at all since the mid 2000s? I was thinking that a trip to the junk yard might be in order to try and find one.

Oh, car is a 2009 WRX sedan. Just picked it up last weekend!

Is the car prewired for it? The installation may be different.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Is the car prewired for it? The installation may be different.

Yup, for 08-09 Imprezzas there is a socket located just above the map lights. You just pop it out and the receptacle is there. I haven't pulled mine apart yet. Just seemed like they all looked the same from what I could remember. And finding a homelink mirror on a car in a junk yard beats the pants off paying 170$. Looks like the 201 part # is just the same as 200. Just they aren't selling the 200 one anymore.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 3, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah, the last few numbers are probably a part revision number. Sometimes there are minor changes to a part, or the supplier changes or something, and so does the part number. For Mazda they use a letter suffix, like 301A, 301B, etc. The reason I ask about the prewiring is that for my '06 Mazda 3, I needed to run the wires down the A-pillar and tap into some power wires. Buying was split into the mirror itself, and installtion kit, with kit varying on the model. I think all the mirrors themselves are pretty much the same, coming in two mounting styles, and it's up to the car company to supply a wiring kit to the car itself.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

TeamIce posted:

So probably pretty harmless if I leave it alone then, eh? Just goes to further reinforce that I'm not buying anything from Perrin in the future, the fitment on their stuff has been utter crap.

If the Perrin UP is still a rigid piece (we stopped putting them on cars years ago because of the fitment you described), that's probably your culprit. Rigid uppipes with fitment issues will usually work for a little bit, then blow out a gasket, usually on the turbo end. If you can get a light or scope around the upper flange, you'll probably see a bunch of black streaking, but check all of your joints - that's just where I've seen it most often.

If you can hear it after startup without driving the car, just pop the hood and try to narrow down the source to turbo area, ahead of the turbo area, or past the engine bay, but my money's on the uppipe.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

sybir posted:

If the Perrin UP is still a rigid piece (we stopped putting them on cars years ago because of the fitment you described), that's probably your culprit. Rigid uppipes with fitment issues will usually work for a little bit, then blow out a gasket, usually on the turbo end. If you can get a light or scope around the upper flange, you'll probably see a bunch of black streaking, but check all of your joints - that's just where I've seen it most often.

If you can hear it after startup without driving the car, just pop the hood and try to narrow down the source to turbo area, ahead of the turbo area, or past the engine bay, but my money's on the uppipe.

The odd thing is, the noise seems to be coming more from the driver side / underside of the car, rather than the passenger side where the turbo is. I'm also not noticing any loss in boost, even when it's making the godawful noise. For this reason, I suspect it may be the downpipe that's got a bit of a leak.

I'm still running the first piece of the downpipe as the Perrin, and the 2nd piece as stock - my mechanic said the 2nd piece of the Perrin downpipe didn't fit, which I suspect is BS - to me it sounds like he didn't follow their fitment directions, which involve bolting it up at one side, then swinging/wiggling it into place. He's primarily a domestic guy, so I figure he's used to exhaust systems just easily fitting into place.

I haven't had the chance to get under the car and try and install the 2nd downpipe piece myself yet.

Assuming it is the uppipe that's the problem - what do you recommend I do? I've heard of some guys doubling up the factory exhaust gasket on the uppipe. I really hope it isn't, as I'm nowhere near good enough to get at the uppipe myself, and I'm not really wanting to pay the labour to do this all over again.

J-udy
Jan 22, 2009

Bob Sapp Please posted:

My grandfather (an ex-Marine and former DC cop, of all people) got egged while driving a few months ago by teens going the opposite direction. He turned around, and followed them for 1.5 HOURS at 75-85 mph down back roads. He got justice. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

J-udy posted:

My grandfather (an ex-Marine and former DC cop, of all people) got egged while driving a few months ago by teens going the opposite direction. He turned around, and followed them for 1.5 HOURS at 75-85 mph down back roads. He got justice. :)

Not a good idea for the average joe. My boss did that and when he caught up to the eggers he got a gun pulled on him.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Just got my JDM STi tranny numero dos in today. It's older but has less miles. Fingers crossed!

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
So my CEL has been on a few days, here's the readout from autozone:

code:
BBSystem too lean- bank 1
Probable cause
BB1.- Faulty MAF sensor
BB2.- Large vacuum leak
BB3.- Low fuel pressure
BB4.- Plugged injector or cylinder misfire
Hopefully, I can get it to the dealer tomorrow. Everything seems to operate fine, the light even went out earlier today for about an hour. I started clicking the gas cap 3+ times after I fill up, to see if maybe I had just put it back on loose one day.

edit: '05 saabaru turbo

edit: vvvv Yeh, I've been driving my Z around until I have time to mess with it.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 4, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All I know is wouldn't mess around with a lean condition for too long. Lean = heat = bad.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Im wanting to drop in a larger turbo. What do you recommend jamal?
2007 WRX, Turboxs giant TMIC, 3 inch catless DP with hi-power 3 inch exhaust, and will add an injen CAI at tune time. Will be getting a custom accessport tune probably at IAG in Nova.

I'm not trying to break the bank on the turbo. Figure, 500-700 bucks, new or used in great condition. I dont 'drive hard' hardly ever. I dont race or do 2fast2furious clutch dumps.

edit: The injectors are supposed to be big enough right? I know I'll need a bigger fuel pump.

Lando fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2009

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Not Jamal but Id say hta68 its a little more $850 but worth it and you would need bigger injectors.

I just got mine tuned on my 2.0 and its an insane turbo 321/284 on 92 octane 348/320 on 92 and torco.

Stock 07 injectors probably vf39/vf43 or evo3 16g.

JudgeJoeBrown fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 5, 2009

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I did a lot of searching as I recently went about putting together parts for an EJ25 swap in my 02 WRX.

This deal:
http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ii&Product_Code=ihivf48withFPanddw750s&Category_Code=5

Includes injectors and everything. He will swap the turbo to an HTA68 for an extra 100 bucks. That's the exact deal I got and I defy anyone to find better prices from a single source. It includes injectors and a fuel pump.

I know I'm not Jamal, and I won't have dyno numbers on my rig for another couple weeks, I am very happy with my choice so far from what I've read and expect.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 5, 2009

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Man this is frustrating. I just got my new transmission in, and the problem with boost I was having before is now 100% worse. The car is sluggish to hit boost in every gear and it's much slow on boost. I'm fairly convinced I have a boost leak somewhere, it's just so hard to find.

What's the best way to systematically find and get rid of boost leaks?

Darth Cheney
Feb 18, 2007
Feelin Kinda Rowdy
I just bought a 2006 WRX limited, I have never owned a Subaru before, but after saabs, I love the way it does just about everything. My only concern however is the motor, whether hot or cold makes a noise that can best be described as a noise like the one that a deck of cards make when you shuffle the two halves together with your thumbs. The noise increases with throttle regardless whether under load or not. I had two "Subaru" people tell me lifter noise was common in Subaru, is this really true? Also, there seems to be slight hesitation in first and second gear from about 2k-3k rpm, I'm used to saabs but I'm a little lost in diagnosing the problem, what might be the likely suspects?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Darth Cheney posted:

I just bought a 2006 WRX limited, I have never owned a Subaru before, but after saabs, I love the way it does just about everything. My only concern however is the motor, whether hot or cold makes a noise that can best be described as a noise like the one that a deck of cards make when you shuffle the two halves together with your thumbs. The noise increases with throttle regardless whether under load or not. I had two "Subaru" people tell me lifter noise was common in Subaru, is this really true? Also, there seems to be slight hesitation in first and second gear from about 2k-3k rpm, I'm used to saabs but I'm a little lost in diagnosing the problem, what might be the likely suspects?
I don't know what to tell you but the fact that I have to ride the clutch in first, while leaving a stop light is incredibly irritating. I feel like I could get outrun by an auto minivan pretty easily.
I don't want to launch it, I just want to be able to get going faster in the lower RPM rather than relying on the turbo later in the higher RPM range.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Just putting some feelers out there, but I'm probably going to be selling my 2004 WRX wagon since I don't really drive it at all anymore. I'll post more info in the market place thread if anybody wants more info on it. PM me or shoot me an email. It's my user name @ gmail.com if you have any interest in it. Otherwise I'll post it in the market place thread.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Oh man. Just got back from the auto tag place with my first car ever. 97 subaru outback legacy limited in Blue. It's a loving tank and now I'm going to go take my friends to get ice cream.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Tiny Faye posted:

Oh man. Just got back from the auto tag place with my first car ever. 97 subaru outback legacy limited in Blue. It's a loving tank and now I'm going to go take my friends to get ice cream.
drat way to go dog what kind of ice cream?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Isaac Asimov posted:

I don't know what to tell you but the fact that I have to ride the clutch in first, while leaving a stop light is incredibly irritating. I feel like I could get outrun by an auto minivan pretty easily.
I don't want to launch it, I just want to be able to get going faster in the lower RPM rather than relying on the turbo later in the higher RPM range.

I know the clutch work on WRX and turbo Subarus can be strange, but you shouldn't have to ride the clutch, just give it a slight blip and ease onto the gas and you should be able to get going no problem. You should be able to start from a stop by just letting the clutch out and easing onto the gas, but try the above if you're having problems.

Dr. Claw
Mar 16, 2009
I've had my mind set on the 2008/2009 Impreza Sport since last summer, but primarily for the AWD. The body style took some getting used to, but I decided that I like it.

Then the Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback came out here in Canada, and I decided that I like the front end on Lancers more, but it lacks the AWD of the Subie.

And just the other day I saw the 2010 Mazda 3 Sport for the first time. I think I like it, though it's also missing the AWD of the Subie, but it's not as plain looking and also less expensive even when going up to the higher end trim.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
the p5 is more awesome than any of those

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've owned a P5 and currently own a Subaru but that Lancer sportback is just gorgeous. The lack of AWD would make me pause though. I've gotten so used to driving in the snow with AWD that I'd really miss it.

You're going to be hard pressed however to find a better handling economy car than that Protege5. In fact I would wager you'll find that the Impreza and Lancer don't out handle the P5 until you get into the higher trim levels. The P5 was blessed with some sort of magic that made it handle far better than a FWD car should.

So really the only answer to your dilemma is to keep the P5 because its awesome and save your money so you can take out a second loan on a Lancer Sportback Ralliart because it has the AWD and better suspension. Unless the P5 is an automatic in which case pay someone to set it on fire and collect the insurance because if you keep it the automatic in that car will set fire to your wallet.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

I know the clutch work on WRX and turbo Subarus can be strange, but you shouldn't have to ride the clutch, just give it a slight blip and ease onto the gas and you should be able to get going no problem. You should be able to start from a stop by just letting the clutch out and easing onto the gas, but try the above if you're having problems.
I blip regular cars, if I do it in my saabrx it jumps forward and doesn't pick up the slack, it just goes way back down to a low rpm and I've killed it often by doing it that way.

edit: I can start from a stop by easing off the clutch, but its just so unusually slow at first, even for regular traffic driving.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 8, 2009