Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Stux posted:

electronica

ahahah what a dork :smug: :smug: :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I could've said IDM if I wanted to really be a dick :iamafag:

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
I always liked IDM as a genre name, probably just because it's my initials though.
Everyone I know calls it splatterbeat

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

my cd player in my car skips whenever I brake too fast and my friends are always like "I CANNOT TELL IF THATS THE CD SKIPPING OR IF ITS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT :razz:"

and I put on my turn signal and calmly pull off to the side and stop the car and they're like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HAHA?" and I'm like "get out."

quote:

This is something I did recently, I'm still pretty amatuer but I really like this one. Needs a couple more layers though, I wanna put some vocal samples over the top.

This is pretty cool.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 3, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
i hope no one looks at the waveforms of my tracks...

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

trill rear end posted:

i hope no one looks at the waveforms of my tracks...

Click here for the full 1679x1027 image.

you're in trouble mister :colbert:

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
how do i make a musical rectangle like Danger?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm gonna agree with the guy who said you don't understand music till you've seen Aphex twin live. poo poo was like O_O

Also in case anyone cares Audiomidi.com has a $5 version of the reverb plugin Breverb, it's a little crippled vs. the full version but for $5 it seems like a pretty sweet deal: http://www.audiomidi.com/Breverb-audioMIDI-Edition-P12240.aspx

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

look man just because you're wrong and listen to a poo poo artist who over compresses his tracks doesn't mean you need to be a gay baby about it. and i wouldnt really say name dropping well known electronica artists like aphex twin or squarepusher is me trying to be smarter or more sophisticated, it was pretty obvious i was just pointing out that people can and do go out to gigs etc where that type of music is played. mayhaps one should stop being a homosexual child goon sire?!

what the gently caress are you even talking about? my point was that you cant judge a song on what it looks like in a wav editor, and most electronic songs that are recorded and meant to be played loudly, look exactly like a squashed square in a wav editor. i dont give a gently caress about aphx or squarepusher that poo poo is boring sometimes and what does them playing shows have anything to do with compression?

your post is about the gooniest ive read in ML so great job on that. dont get to bent out of a shape when someone disagrees with you on the INTERNETS!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Stux posted:

look man just because you're wrong and listen to a poo poo artist who over compresses his tracks doesn't mean you need to be a gay baby about it. and i wouldnt really say name dropping well known electronica artists like aphex twin or squarepusher is me trying to be smarter or more sophisticated, it was pretty obvious i was just pointing out that people can and do go out to gigs etc where that type of music is played. mayhaps one should stop being a homosexual child goon sire?!

FYI you wouldn't have all this nice dance music without the gay homosexuals, show a little respect.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

h_double posted:

FYI you wouldn't have all this nice dance music without the gay homosexuals, show a little respect.

word. Gay people are probably 50% the reason electronic music exists. The other 40% are some german weirdos and then 10% from shy black kids in Detroit.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
There would be electronic music if there weren't any gays, there would also be rock and roll if there wasn't Elvis. It would just be a little different.

If anything the whole "gay house" movement kind of made electronic music bland and uninteresting. Just simple pftcha pftcha pftcha pftcha boom boom-repeat that anybody could dance to, and almost anybody can make.

But I'm more interested in psychedelic wobbles and space engine shpongles and dmt trip music, so take that for what it's worth.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
wow this thread has really turned into a shitfest

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Lmao gay people had nothing to do with making house bland and uninteresting, which is a lame criticism in and of itself because house as a genre is as broad and vague as indie rock. Gay people were, however, responsible for a lot of house's beginnings as a genre and of course we'd have bleep bloop music without gays but as far as I understand gay people had a lot to do with creating and shaping house music as a genre and a feeling.

And I forgot what thread this was, can we kill this derail now please

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Elder posted:

I'm looking for a pitch shifting VST plugin that doesn't cause a bunch of latency. Does this exist, for free or otherwise?

My post got lost in the mess, but I'm still looking for this :)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RizieN posted:

There would be electronic music if there weren't any gays, there would also be rock and roll if there wasn't Elvis. It would just be a little different.

If anything the whole "gay house" movement kind of made electronic music bland and uninteresting. Just simple pftcha pftcha pftcha pftcha boom boom-repeat that anybody could dance to, and almost anybody can make.

But I'm more interested in psychedelic wobbles and space engine shpongles and dmt trip music, so take that for what it's worth.

Well sure, electronic music had been around for decades before the whole club/party music phenomenon came into being. You had composers like Stockhausen and Raymond Scott, synth artists in the 60s/70s like Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre, the early industrial/experimental scene, etc.

The gay house scene in the early 80s was hugely influential on the culture of dance music though -- the idea of DJs blending songs together into a continuous mix, and looping and sampling and remixing tracks, that mostly came out of the Chicago house scene, which is very tightly connected with the evolution of Detroit techno. And Detroit techno was a catalyst for acid house and raves, and pretty much everything else exploded from there (though the phenomena of remixes and DJ culture also owe a lot to Jamaican dub producers and dancehall selectors in the 70s).

I read a quote a while ago about how basketball and jazz were the two things that white people and black people both "owned" on equal terms, and I immediately thought about how house music (and its offshoots) are like an even more awesomely multi-dimensional melting pot.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

stun runner posted:

And I forgot what thread this was, can we kill this derail now please

The culture and history of music are an important part of being a musician or DJ. I for one welcome a little friendly sidetrack from 8 more pages of "which MIDI controller and DAW should I buy?" but whatev.

Elder, what's your hardware/latency situation like in general? I can use the Autotune VST (or Guitar Rig's pitch shifter) in realtime without any problems. Though if you want to use pitch shift to transpose a whole track, you might be better off doing it in non-realtime to take best advantage of dithering algorythms and what not.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

h_double posted:

Elder, what's your hardware/latency situation like in general? I can use the Autotune VST (or Guitar Rig's pitch shifter) in realtime without any problems. Though if you want to use pitch shift to transpose a whole track, you might be better off doing it in non-realtime to take best advantage of dithering algorythms and what not.

Latency at the moment is very good, under 5ms IIRC. I need a realtime pitch shifter because it's for live performance use, and I tried out a couple but they all resulted in noticeable latency. I haven't tried Autotune though, that seems like a good option since it is designed for live use, thanks.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Is there any sort of keyboard-playable sampler that transposes samples up and down, but doesn't lengthen or shorten the measure I've sampled, or does it require too much computation to be doable in a playable "real-time" sampler?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mannex posted:

Is there any sort of keyboard-playable sampler that transposes samples up and down, but doesn't lengthen or shorten the measure I've sampled, or does it require too much computation to be doable in a playable "real-time" sampler?

I'm pretty sure you can do this in Live, either with Sampler or with clever hacking of racks.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I can't think of a way offhand to do it in Ableton Sampler or racks, but you could (in Live) create a warped clip, trigger it with a MIDI note, and then assign a controller knob to transpose it up and down. This isn't quite "keyboard playable" and it's monophonic, but on the other hand it's really easy to set up without having to hand-build each individual patch.

breaks
May 12, 2001

You might also be interested in the various additive/resynth plugins, I think Alchemy and Morphine are the ones most worthy of attention at the moment.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oredun posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about? my point was that you cant judge a song on what it looks like in a wav editor, and most electronic songs that are recorded and meant to be played loudly, look exactly like a squashed square in a wav editor. i dont give a gently caress about aphx or squarepusher that poo poo is boring sometimes and what does them playing shows have anything to do with compression?

your post is about the gooniest ive read in ML so great job on that. dont get to bent out of a shape when someone disagrees with you on the INTERNETS!

but they are poo poo that is meant to be played loudly and is at huge open air festivals and their poo poo isnt close to squashed and sounds excellent on record and live so...? only bad producers create stuff like the pictures quake and quake and posted, overcompressed and devoid of dynamics. also i wasnt judging the song on just that, i was judging it on the fact he posted danger as someone i guess he likes who makes overcompressed crap and is terrible at life and also music irl and should probably kill heself an then trying to justify the bad producing on he own track.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wow..

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mannex posted:

Kontakt 3 set to "Time Machine" or "Time Machine 2" mode will do the job I think...

cuppy tea fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 4, 2009

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Elder posted:

My post got lost in the mess, but I'm still looking for this :)

if you have ableton you can use grain delay and unclick sync and make it delay .1ms then play around with the pitch and frequency. sometimes, well usually, it sounds horrible but every now and then its a great build effect or something. its at least worth a shot if you have live.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

oredun posted:

if you have ableton you can use grain delay and unclick sync and make it delay .1ms then play around with the pitch and frequency. sometimes, well usually, it sounds horrible but every now and then its a great build effect or something. its at least worth a shot if you have live.

Very interesting, I am using Live so I will try this out. Thanks.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

RizieN posted:

Hahaha, your post only reveals how little you know about music! :D

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
How little i know about the history of loving techno.

Enlighten me and prove me wrong if you're oh so wise. Cause h_double did, and his post could lead to an actual interesting discussion, whereas your post is worthless and dick waving.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
This isnt the thread for it, post tips on how to make my laptop sound like tiesto or gtfo

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
i have a new overcompressed song with no dynamics

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

trill rear end posted:

i have a new overcompressed song with no dynamics

i kinda liked this

you should garnish it some more before it is unleashed however. a rhythmic bridge part wouldnt hurt. you lose some momentum in the middle of the song because whats there is so sparse and doesnt keep interest for long enough. other than that this could be sweet with some spit and elbowgrease

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Quick derail from the slapfight but does anyone have any tips for beatmatching/timestretching samples and a capellas in Logic it's very frustrating

If I don't know the BPM of the sample in advance usually by the time I get it in time it's been warped enough to sound like poo poo

AndysADinosaur
Dec 26, 2006
truth?
So, I'm considering my next big purchase. I have a Korg R3 right now, and I've really taken the time to learn it and tailor it to my own musical style. I'm frustrated at this point, though, because I've got all my custom settings and instruments and no way to make a multi-instrument song.

It seems like most everybody in here uses a laptop set-up, but I'm not sure that's my bag. I think I'd like to be able to make my music totally live. I basically use my R3 as an organ; I don't usually pre-program sequences, but I do really enjoy playing/manipulating the arpeggiator live.

Now, with all that in mind, I think a loop pedal might be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have experience using live looping with electronic music?

I'm considering, maybe, something like the BOSS RC-50 or the Korg Kaoss Pad 3, both of which have midi-synced looping. (although, the KP3 can only do 7 second loops). Is this a horrible idea? Could I do something equivalent in Ableton or any of the software programs? Should I just buy a new laptop?

AndysADinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 5, 2009

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

AndysADinosaur posted:

Could I do something equivalent in Ableton or any of the software programs? Should I just buy a new laptop?
Absolutely! You'd be amazed at what's possible with Ableton Live these days. You can probably do things you haven't even thought possible. I suggest you check out this video. I'd be happy to answer any questions in the Ableton Live thread I started for that purpose, and I encourage you to check out the free demo available from the Ableton website.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Altoidss posted:

Quick derail from the slapfight but does anyone have any tips for beatmatching/timestretching samples and a capellas in Logic it's very frustrating

If I don't know the BPM of the sample in advance usually by the time I get it in time it's been warped enough to sound like poo poo

listen to the non-a capella tune and try to find words that fall on beats is the only thing I've found useful. Ableton has a tap function but I've never used it, but that could work, let the vocals play while tapping the beat from your head. I use lots of a capellas but i like when theyre hosed up, but I know what you mean.

Apr 24, 2008

Mannex posted:

This is pretty cool.

Cheers Mannex

breaks
May 12, 2001

AndysADinosaur posted:

Now, with all that in mind, I think a loop pedal might be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have experience using live looping with electronic music?

Loopers are more associated with guitars, voice, electro-acoustic stuff, anything but synths really. There's no reason you can't use them with a synth, but most people go for midi or audio clips instead. The main reasons are first that most people doing electronic stuff live are operating in more of a conductor/DJ role. The second one is that there is a lot more subtlety and nuance in a guitar or vocal performance than there is in your typical synth performance. It's often just not worth the trouble of capturing a live version, the time is better spent doing something else.

My advice for any live electronic setup is that you have a firm idea of exactly how you want to perform before making large purchases. Ableton Live is great for variations on a theme of DJing clips, but doesn't really do much interesting otherwise. That may well change with the whole Live+Apc40+Max platform, but that battlestation is not yet fully armed and operational.

Anyway; buy used/cheap/small and be prepared to resell and experiment until you have a clear vision of how you are going to operate, then that's the time to spend lots of money/effort making it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
I know this is somewhat out of the way of the topic but it sort of fits. Is anyone familiar with JG Thirlwell and/or PIG (Raymond Watts)? I know the two make use of synths a lot but where does the orchestral poo poo come in with these guys? Is it manipulated samples or do they hire studio musicians? Sample-wise where do you even start with something like that?

And I guess while I'm asking about that I want to also ask how do industrial bands go about recording bit parts like background synth noises and whatnot? Do they just run sequencers or what? (I'm mainly thinking KMFDM here)

• Locked thread