Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

TL posted:

I really want to like Timewarp, but a lot of what they do seems to be stuff I've already seen on Mythbusters. And after the truck on the rocket sled from earlier this season, I can't think of anything cooler to see in high speed.

And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but was this past week Buster's first appearance of the season? I missed the guy.

HBO Presents: Timewarp would be pretty cool. Imagine what they could do? High speed ejaculation, a world first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
They should bring back the Farwest Leader on Deadliest Catch, that was one of my favorite boats with the skinny captain dude and his wife.

Two of the best old boats were the ones that had the captains wives along to cook.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So how long ago was the prison escape segment filmed because Kari didn't seem pregnant at all, and they had old Buster, while Adam and Jamie were using cheap, new Buster.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

TL posted:

I really want to like Timewarp, but a lot of what they do seems to be stuff I've already seen on Mythbusters.

Kari not being on Time Warp makes it a bit more watchable.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009

BlueArmyMan posted:

I miss the Maverick with Rick and Donna. I do not miss the Maverick with Blake.

I wish they would

A. Get rid of the Wizard (I loving hate the captain of the Wizard, he's a douche)
B. Bring back the Maverick
C. Show more Time Bandit.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

I wish they would

A. Get rid of the Wizard (I loving hate the captain of the Wizard, he's a douche)

Keith can be an rear end in a top hat usually, but nothing beats the unintentional hilarity of him seriously chewing out Monty for letting him sleep through the walrus herd.

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends
I like to imagine myself on one of these boats as a deck hand:

Northwestern: Hard Hell Work with good pay
Cornelia Marie: Average work with an okay time
Time Bandit: Light work with a great time
Wizard: most likely to die due to Captain

The question is, which one of these are you most likely to wake up with a fish in your rear end?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tomcat1944 posted:

The question is, which one of these are you most likely to wake up with a fish in your rear end?

Definitely the Time Bandit.

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?
Is anyone else watching Whale Wars? Holy crap these guys are freaking nutso. I hate dangerously stupid people like this, but I just can't stop watching.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Optimistic Puma posted:

Is anyone else watching Whale Wars? Holy crap these guys are freaking nutso. I hate dangerously stupid people like this, but I just can't stop watching.

Those guys are going to get shot up one of these days and I won't feel the slightest bit sorry for them.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

ToastyPotato posted:

So how long ago was the prison escape segment filmed because Kari didn't seem pregnant at all, and they had old Buster, while Adam and Jamie were using cheap, new Buster.

A pretty good gauge for mythbusters timelines is to look at how fat and dumpy adam has let himself get.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

Tomcat1944 posted:

didn't Cornelia Marie make the most money though? At first I thought I would be all about Northwestern, but for equal pay I would go on the Cornelia Marie...Much easier to dissappear into the background and not get yelled at because the family is too busy yelling at each other.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MrDingleDangle posted:

didn't Cornelia Marie make the most money though? At first I thought I would be all about Northwestern, but for equal pay I would go on the Cornelia Marie...Much easier to dissappear into the background and not get yelled at because the family is too busy yelling at each other.

Haha that's exactly my thought. Also CM never seems to do 50 hour grinds and yet they get the same pay the NW gets. Downside is a lovely boat.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ToastyPotato posted:

Haha that's exactly my thought. Also CM never seems to do 50 hour grinds and yet they get the same pay the NW gets. Downside is a lovely boat.

On the other hand, there's probably a nice betting pool going among the deckhands over what'll break down next.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Doronin posted:

Having actually owned large boats (commercial fishing and offshore oil service boats), you run those inspections when are able to get the people out to do them. You have to have a welder (or two), an electrician and a drat good diesel engine mechanic to get those things going. Typically they are done some time right before the Coast Guard is due to arrive to do their own inspection and grant your boat its certificate.
This would make more sense to me if all the boats were based out of Alaska, where I'm sure there is a shortage of quality labor. However, most of the boats sail out of Seattle or Portland, where I have a hard time believing that it's so difficult to find someone to do the work at a more convenient time.

That being said, knowing (from TV, obviously) some of these captains pretty well, I'm not surprised that they're not more proactive about things like preventative maintenance.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

nmfree posted:

This would make more sense to me if all the boats were based out of Alaska, where I'm sure there is a shortage of quality labor. However, most of the boats sail out of Seattle or Portland, where I have a hard time believing that it's so difficult to find someone to do the work at a more convenient time.

That being said, knowing (from TV, obviously) some of these captains pretty well, I'm not surprised that they're not more proactive about things like preventative maintenance.

It's really all relative to where you are. When it comes to labor to fix the boats, you have to take into account that they have lots of other boats to tend to and all their usual clients are calling to schedule service at roughly the same time. This makes for a lot of 15-16 hour work days for these people. Plus, the majority of boat captains/owners I have ever dealt with typically have one or two guys they actually trust to work on their vessel. Every boat on the ocean has its own little quirks and design features, so you try to stick with electricians/welders/mechanics that have a history with your boat so you can just turn them loose to do their thing without having to field a million questions about every little detail. When my family was running boats, we had only one mechanic we would let touch the engines and we were willing to pay extra if it meant convincing him to put someone else off for an extra day. Every single one of our colleagues between Corpus Christi, TX and Mobile, AL., was the same way with the people they trusted to work on their boats. Mechanics, however, tend to be the ones that captains/owners are the most finicky about.

As for the Pacific northwest fishing crew, I would suspect that they probably are the same way. Especially considering the majority of their vessels are older and more than a few have been converted over from their original purpose to facilitate fishing. Old boats and fingerprints have one similar feature, it's nearly impossible to find any two that are just alike.

Oh, and when comes to preventative maintenance, that's almost unrealistic with commercial vessels. I can't recall how much... "jury rigging" we did just to put a patch on a problem to squeeze another few weeks out of the boat before we were forced to call out for service. That's why these captains wind up with insanely massive repair costs when they do finally get the boat worked on because while they were patching up one problem, something else was going all to hell right under their nose.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I'd understand more if these boats didn't have 6 months of downtime every year. I mean, Phil especially should finish a season and then have them look the boat over before going down to Washington or wherever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fire Storm posted:

I'd understand more if these boats didn't have 6 months of downtime every year. I mean, Phil especially should finish a season and then have them look the boat over before going down to Washington or wherever.

They don't. They fish for other poo poo when not crabbing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tell me they make way less money though. Because crabbing alone seems to net deckhands 50-100k a year...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think it's mostly different people. But the boats don't just sit there unused, that would be a huge waste of money.

Wikipedia says that during the off season it's not fishing so much as playing fish taxi between other fishing boats and processors. I could swear one of the boats on the show mentioned fishing for cod several times though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think the NW mentioned it before. I wonder how likely it would be for deckhands to just fish in different places for most of the year. That would pull serious money, and the seasons seems to be really short so you'd still have more time at home than the average full time worker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

I think it's mostly different people. But the boats don't just sit there unused, that would be a huge waste of money.

Wikipedia says that during the off season it's not fishing so much as playing fish taxi between other fishing boats and processors. I could swear one of the boats on the show mentioned fishing for cod several times though.

The Northwestern has been shown fishing for cod before the crab season starts a time or two.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Gyges posted:

The Northwestern has been shown fishing for cod before the crab season starts a time or two.

Yeah, but that's Sig. Even if he fished for Cod, he isn't fishing 365. Hell, there's even a at least a few weeks between king and opelio that they can use for repairs and schedule a mechanic to do a once over on the boat.

Also, isn't the ship a little specialized to use for much else than pot-based fishing or just as a fish hauler?

crikey IRL
Aug 15, 2004

BlueArmyMan posted:

Keith can be an rear end in a top hat usually, but nothing beats the unintentional hilarity of him seriously chewing out Monty for letting him sleep through the walrus herd.

I hated Keith at first, but now I consider him equal as entertaining as Phil (my favorite captain). He is just sooo overreacting and emotional, and you can tell that THAT is who he really is it just cracks me up.

Judging by the previews of tomorrows episode, I predict a level 10 Keith break down.

As for Pitchmen, when i saw the previews I thought it would be the worst show ever, now i am strangley addicted to it. Also, as a salesman myself, I really respect Billy. I thought he was an obnoxious rear end in a top hat for the first few episodes, but then as the season has progressed you realize he isnt a complete arsehole, and really wants to market products he knows people will want and will sell. I also liked his cheesy family show in the last episode, poor little guy has a heart after all.

Also, the editing of Deadliest Catch pisses me off from time to time, but with Phil back and the Wizard drama about to hit the fan i'm pumped for the opilio season. King season is a joke anyways, opilio is where its at.

Also, has anyone noticed Keith tends to have more greenhorns (ergo, partial shares, less money out of his pocket) than most other boats? Last season there was Moi, then his replacement, who keith said was awesome, but i havent seen him this season. I like his style, other than the over emotionalism, I also like how they brought on the one crew member simply because he had his own crew quota which = more crab for them.

I went crabbing to day in the gulf of mexico, the largest crab I caught was about 4 inches across. The bastard bit me on the foot and it hurt way more than I expected. I cant imagine getting bit by a King crab, no one ever seems to.

Also so long Gammran of the C.M., he was level headed, where as the new engineer seems like a total spaz.

Oh, and I sent an email to Josh or Jacob from the Cornelia, and they legitimately responded, it wasn't just a canned response. I told them I was going to law school with a focus on environmental law and they were like "get your rear end up to Oregon or Alaska, we can always use more people fighting on our side". That was last season and really cool.

But, truth be told, other than Phil, the entire Time Bandit crew is my favorite. Jon and Andy's quotes from movies and quibbling reminds me so much of me and my brother it is ridiculous. I also loved a few episodes ago when they went to some lovely place in mexico and one crew member was like "this is paradise on Earth *munches on some parasite filled seafood*"

They should do away with the crab count though. Maybe im just a greedy bastard but all I care about is how much money they spend on repairs and how much the crew ends up making.

Time Warp was awesome for the first few episodes this season but the last 2 have sort of disappointed me. Still cool to watch on TiVo though.

As for Myth busters, my old rear end grandpa who is ex-EOD and pretty much a gun nut, to say the least, watches the show and likes it while simultaneously talking immense poo poo about any episode involving guns. I told him he sounded like a pissed off fan on a forum and he simply replied "What the gently caress is a forum? Do I need a modem to get on one of them?"

This is also from a man who said 8 years ago that his "modem" told him it was time to die lol. 6 months ago his GI tract exploded, he lives in isolation, nearest hospital over an hour away. Rather than call 911 he drove him self to the hospital and everyone there was amazed he made it there, not only because of the pain, but because of the health risk. He is doing much better now. He is also working on his next home built cannon. I like him :)

crikey IRL fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 9, 2009

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What the hell, another random new boat?

Did that little happen on the main boats this year?

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

IRQ posted:

What the hell, another random new boat?

Did that little happen on the main boats this year?

And it's not just a new boat... hey guys, new boat thats already hauled 150k pounds of crab!

edit: They couldn't find some boss for this end montage? This is awful.

Helado fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 10, 2009

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
^^ It makes you wonder if it's uneventful enough on the other boats they added someone else in to keep it watchable

EDIT: or the way they are slamming those pots around.. someone gets hosed up

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I actually like the new boat it's about time they added one with a captain that wasn't a total bore to listen to talk.

Something that has always bothered me with the cornelia marie is it's whole deck system seems crazy primitive compared to the other boats. The crab are dumped into a knee level trough thing and then you get to drag all the crab around in totes accross the deck? I know they're one of the biggest boats and it would be harder to come up with a decent delivery system for all the different tanks like the northwestern and its conveyor belts but jesus christ.

And apparently this seasons after the catch is done with Ben Bailey from cash cab instead of Mike Rowe which is completely different and bizarre.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just saw a commercial for the new Discovery show Swamp Loggers, bringing the number of logging shows up to 3 or so. Where the hell did all this demand for watching trees fall in a forest come from?

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
that was the worst ending montage I think I have ever seen. And we didn't even hear how bad the other two guys were.

quote:

Something that has always bothered me with the cornelia marie is it's whole deck system seems crazy primitive compared to the other boats. The crab are dumped into a knee level trough thing and then you get to drag all the crab around in totes accross the deck? I know they're one of the biggest boats and it would be harder to come up with a decent delivery system for all the different tanks like the northwestern and its conveyor belts but jesus christ.

yeah it is really horrible the way they do it, but they make the most money so i guess its ok

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

MrDingleDangle posted:

that was the worst ending montage I think I have ever seen. And we didn't even hear how bad the other two guys were.
Yeah, that kinda pissed me off about this episode. They made it seem like they were going to focus on the injuries of the Wizard, but 5 minutes in the beginning, 5 at the end.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Gyges posted:

I just saw a commercial for the new Discovery show Swamp Loggers, bringing the number of logging shows up to 3 or so. Where the hell did all this demand for watching trees fall in a forest come from?
Three on Discovery alone (American Loggers, Extreme Loggers and Swamp Loggers) History Channel and TLC also have logging shows (Ax Men and Heli-Loggers).

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

I wish they would

B. Bring back the Maverick
C. Show more Time Bandit.

B. I do remember creative editing led to Blake looking like a jerk and not wanting to retturn, the whole story is here: http://www.fv-eveningstar.com/thoughts.html. Since Discovery wanted him as captain, and he couldn't make Season 3's opie fishing, no Maverick since then. Blake now runs the F/V Tradition, which fishes different crab during Opie season. Why the Maverick isn't back escapes me, I don't think they fish those seasons anymore.

C.Amen. The scene in Mexico was the highlight of the season.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

the-jam posted:

Three on Discovery alone (American Loggers, Extreme Loggers and Swamp Loggers) History Channel and TLC also have logging shows (Ax Men and Heli-Loggers).

This is like when American Chopper was a surprise hit and they made a bunch of shows about shops, except every show wasn't about motorcycles.

Speaking of American Chopper, I just realized, for the first time in years, that it is still on the air. Amazing. I guess it's better than the modern day carnival freakshow they have going on over at TLC with the shows about midgets and abnormal fertility. I want a series about bearded ladies next.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

the-jam posted:

I'm waiting for American Loggers: Behind the Scenes which is just one hour of a tree growing.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Curve the bullet? How loving bored are the myth busters to do this?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, well if it was indeed the most requested myth on the fansite, they pretty much had to do it to get them to shut the hell up.

I liked the sonic boom myth though. Thought it was cool to see how it affected the stuff on the ground in the close flybys.

One Armed Man
Nov 4, 2007
Notice the lack of a hyphen.
so, a sonic boom is a cone? I always thought that it was a singlular burst that propogated in all directions but forward. I spent that whole episode thinking that they were doing it wrong. Curving bullets was such a joke, but that paper thing was genius.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

The whole bullet-curving thing was giving me Mr Wizard flashbacks. They could've "busted" that one with a tennis ball and some PVC.

Please god tell me someone else remembers Mr Wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I would get up every morning at 6 AM to watch Mr. Wizard on Nickelodeon.

It made me really sad when he died a few years back. :(

• Locked thread