Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I've only dabbled in doppling
There better be a line about anteaters.

Also, the Tron iRiff is actually quite funny. Also the Superman IV iRiff is genius, really fantastic. Speed, Die Hard (the RiffRaff version) and Minority Report are pretty good too. RiffRaff Theatre and the Disciples of Golan are about the only decent iRiffers I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Plavski posted:

There better be a line about anteaters.

Also, the Tron iRiff is actually quite funny. Also the Superman IV iRiff is genius, really fantastic. Speed, Die Hard (the RiffRaff version) and Minority Report are pretty good too. RiffRaff Theatre and the Disciples of Golan are about the only decent iRiffers I've found.

It's insane that there was a riff of Superman IV before III. iRiff or otherwise. Superman III is the most absurd movie I have ever seen.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Emmitt Nervend posted:

It's insane that there was a riff of Superman IV before III. iRiff or otherwise. Superman III is the most absurd movie I have ever seen.
IV is more awful really. Seriously, IV is just a giant turd burger wrapped in a crap bun served on a plate of poo poo. It's loving woeful, and the Riff is made so much better because of it. They hate the movie, they really really do and it's great!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Casablanca riff is hilarious. Recommended.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Captain Charisma posted:

SQUIGGLY LINES ARE YOU INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE?!

It'll be fun for approximately 3.7 seconds!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Because they are making fun of Perry Farrell, who is NOT in Muse. Why would they bring up someone who has nothing to do with anything going on in the movie? It just doesn't make sense.
Actually, that's kinda what they've done for 20 years or so.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Plavski posted:

Really? I wouldn't have expected it to be, Casablanca just seems like such a genuinely good movie, I wouldn't think there would be much room to make fun of it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Really? I wouldn't have expected it to be, Casablanca just seems like such a genuinely good movie, I wouldn't think there would be much room to make fun of it.
It surprised me too. But Casablanca is good for reasons other than the movie itself really. I mean, the plot makes no sense at all, the characters are flat and pretty drat boring except for the two leads and the frenchie and it's got midgets standing next to cardboard planes!

Casablanca is a great movie, yes, but it's also enraptured by its own wonderfulness. Seeing the excellent job they did on this means that potentially one of my favourite movies of all time, Citizen Kane might get a good going over. It too is overblown, long winded and highly mockable - Orson trashing the room is hilarious out of context.

Though if they touch The Third Man there'll be hell to pay.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Plavski posted:

That loving droning zither score... :argh: There's a lot that's riffable about that flick.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Plavski posted:

Nothing short of The Passion of the Christ or Schindler's List are off limits according to an interview I heard with Mike.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Schindler's list would be a bit much, yeah

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nothing short of The Passion of the Christ or Schindler's List are off limits according to an interview I heard with Mike.

The Last Temptation of Christ and Life is Beautiful, here we come!

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Captain Charisma posted:

The Last Temptation of Christ and Life is Beautiful, here we come!

I actually found The Last Temptation of Christ to be a really devout, beautiful film. Then again, I once argued to a bunch of fundies that Dogma is 100% more of a genuine and heartfelt religious movie than The Passion of the Christ. And it is. :colbert:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Simpsons has more heartfelt religion than The Passion of the Christ.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
Is it too soon to do Flight 93?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

Color me surprised. I'll check it out now.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

bonestructure posted:

That loving droning zither score... :argh: There's a lot that's riffable about that flick.
Damnit, don't you think I know this? But the idea of someone riffing my beloved Third Man, it's just too much for the soul to take.

Balloon?

Balloon?

Balloon?

And guys, didn't you forget? They've already done a movie about the Holocaust atrocities. Tell me which one it is for ten whole points.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 8, 2009

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Plavski posted:

And guys, didn't you forget? They've already done a movie about the Holocaust atrocities. Tell me which one it is for ten whole points.

What is X-Men 1?

Thank you movie, let's not go back there again.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
Hey you can't use the holocaust in your cheesy superhero movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Casablanca riff is pretty good.

I'm not really getting the whole "one of the best movies ever made" vibe from the movie, though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Casablanca riff is pretty good.

I'm not really getting the whole "one of the best movies ever made" vibe from the movie, though.
You can't ever get that vibe when listening to a Riff.

Try watching it with the Roger Ebert commentary, then you start seeing the greatness.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

Try watching it with the Roger Ebert commentary, then you start seeing the greatness.

I can watch a Riffed movie and detach the movie from the riffing. Casablanca is stuffed to the rafters with stiff actors spouting dry meaningless dialogue in unemotional ways.

Yawn.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can watch a Riffed movie and detach the movie from the riffing. Casablanca is stuffed to the rafters with stiff actors spouting dry meaningless dialogue in unemotional ways.

As sacrilegious as it may be to say so, I agree with you. I've never cared for Casablanca and it's not a question of the movie being in black & white or anything like that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Der Shovel posted:

As sacrilegious as it may be to say so, I agree with you. I've never cared for Casablanca and it's not a question of the movie being in black & white or anything like that.

I kept thinking, "Did Bogart have a stroke?"

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Well it regularly rivals Citizen Kane for the top spot on every critics favourite film roundup, is 2nd in the AFI's 'Top 100 Films of All Time' list and won three Oscars on release. So maybe you're just wrong :smugbert:

However, while I personally like the film, I wouldn't have it in my top 10 as the plot is ridiculous. I much prefer the remake anyway.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

Well it regularly rivals Citizen Kane for the top spot on every critics favourite film roundup, is 2nd in the AFI's 'Top 100 Films of All Time' list and won three Oscars on release. So maybe you're just wrong :smugbert:

Oh that's right, the Oscars mean so much.

Entertainment is subjective, so let's agree to disagree.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh that's right, the Oscars mean so much.

Entertainment is subjective, so let's agree to disagree.
That post has me preferring Barb Wire to Casablanca. Why did you think any of part it was said in seriousness?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

That post has me preferring Barb Wire to Casablanca. Why did you think any of part it was said in seriousness?

My bad. It's early and I'm not awake.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Plavski posted:

Well it regularly rivals Citizen Kane for the top spot on every critics favourite film roundup, is 2nd in the AFI's 'Top 100 Films of All Time' list and won three Oscars on release.

Titanic and Chicago won Oscars too and they're both poo poo. Plus I'm of the opinion that the AFI is one of the more irritatingly nostalgic organisations out there. They think "Some like it hot" is the best comedy ever made and that's just loving wrong.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Der Shovel posted:

Titanic and Chicago won Oscars too and they're both poo poo. Plus I'm of the opinion that the AFI is one of the more irritatingly nostalgic organisations out there. They think "Some like it hot" is the best comedy ever made and that's just loving wrong.

In defense of older movies, I liked It Happened One Night, which pops up on those lists, too. At least Gable and Colbert had some charisma.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

What do you know?

Two men dressed as women is THE FUNNIEST THING MANKIND HAS EVER COMMITTED TO CELLULOID. Sorry Woody Allen, sorry Monty Python, sorry Peter Sellers, you just don't cut the mustard.

If only there'd been more than just Terry Jones dressed as a woman in the Life of Brian, maybe things would've been different.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

Case in point: When watching the Jurassic Park riff, I thought halfway through or so, "Man is it just the riff pointing things out or does this movie actually suck dick?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Captain Charisma posted:

Case in point: When watching the Jurassic Park riff, I thought halfway through or so, "Man is it just the riff pointing things out or does this movie actually suck dick?"

Maybe it's just me, then. I've watched riffed movies I actually like and my opinion of the movie was not changed. I'm still waiting for a riff of Blade Runner.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mister Kingdom posted:

In defense of older movies, I liked It Happened One Night, which pops up on those lists, too. At least Gable and Colbert had some charisma.

Oh yeah, I like a lot of old movies myself, but I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't keep blindly praising old movies just because they're old.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Isn't most of that AFI poo poo about how much those movies have inspired other filmmakers and yadayadayada? Revolutionary for it's time and whatnot...

Also I'm definitely affected by the RiffTrax guys when watching a movie I love, or that I at least know is very good. Star Wars: A New Hope really started to look ridiculous after watching it with the RiffTrax.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Yup, A New Hope, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Spiderman 2, The Matrix, The Dark Knight, Iron Man... to name but 7, are movies I previously really liked but now post-Riff I don't have much affection for.

I don't feel bad though, I feel like a scientist, grateful to be finally proved wrong after all these years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

Yup, A New Hope, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Spiderman 2, The Matrix, The Dark Knight, Iron Man... to name but 7, are movies I previously really liked but now post-Riff I don't have much affection for.

I don't feel bad though, I feel like a scientist, grateful to be finally proved wrong after all these years.

There's a certain level of badness I can overlook in those movies, so I can laugh along with the riffers.

Transformers would have been better without Shia Lebouf.

Cloverfield would have been much better had the cameras not been recording anything.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, Transformers. I had only seen it once in theaters and I liked it, but the Rifftrax was a goddamn revelation. I had been told the movie was bad, but jesus that movie is loving terrible. It's not just Shia LeBouf, it's the script, it's Megan Fox, it's John Turturro, it's the mom and dad, it's every goddamn scene with humans.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Plavski posted:

The Wachowskis ruined Matrix for me years ago. I loving LOVED the original back when it came out (just like every other nerd) and then the sequels happened. Now I can't even watch the original anymore. gently caress those guys.

The rest, I don't mind so much. I mean it's probably my inner reviewer that's making me aware of the silliness in those movies, but I like them anyway for the good that exists beside the silly bits. I can fully enjoy them as movies and laugh at the silly bits as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Cloverfield would have been much better had the cameras not been recording anything.

Cloverfield can only be fully appreciated with time and a pause button. It's only them you can enjoy the chewed femur.

• Locked thread