Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Because there aren't any tables or numbers in this comic.

Dear god, that last panel cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

HKR posted:

How is it all of you fail at reading comprehension but know 3.5 like the back of your hand?

Because I had forgotten the exact issue with Roy's request of the Oracle?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nosy_G posted:

Wasn't the point of the whole thing with the Oracle trying to convince Roy to ask him where the lich was going next that Xykon was currently AT one of the two gates that Roy mentioned in his question?

No, its because Xykon was heading towards the third gate, in Azure City, and Roy specifically precluded it from his question by accident. We're lucky the Oracle of the Stick was captured by Miko and brought there because if they weren't... well I guess nothing would have changed but still.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

HKR posted:

How is it all of you fail at reading comprehension but know 3.5 like the back of your hand?

read the LOST threads sometime and you'll be amazed at how many goons straight up suck at watching TV

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

bison wings posted:

read the LOST threads sometime and you'll be amazed at how many goons straight up suck at watching TV

No I did that with The Office thread and I'm not going to do it again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pseudosavior posted:

Dear god, that last panel cracked me up.

Me too. I love Explosive Runes. It's near the top of my list of "awesome, but useless in most situations" spells.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nosy_G posted:

Wasn't the point of the whole thing with the Oracle trying to convince Roy to ask him where the lich was going next that Xykon was currently AT one of the two gates that Roy mentioned in his question?

How the hell did you come up with that?

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread, what with the alignment argument, Gender argument, Phylactery argument . . . and then people like this are around.

How about you read the comic, then come back to discuss it?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Pyre_89 posted:

How about you read the comic, then come back to discuss it?

He was asking how somebody came up with a wrong theory, that seems like a fair question. Xykon wasn't at one of the other gates when Roy asked his question, he was on his way to Azure City (or in the library with Serini's diary, or at a hobgoblin settlement)

To clear up,
There are 3 gates- one in Azure City, Girard's gate and Kraagor's gate.
It seemed unlikely Xykon would go to Azure City, since it's a large city full of Paladins (while the other two are in a desert and ice cap), so Roy only asked the Oracle whether Xykon would first go to Girard's gate or Kraagor's gate.
The Oracle answered that Xykon is going to Giarard's gate first (out of those two options). So Xykon will at some point go to Girard's gate and can't die here.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

My mistake. I was confusing one of the gates with Xykon's "back-up fortress" as mentioned here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Affi posted:

I think he could but you'd only be able to read the first one before the others were destroyed by that explosion I guess. And even if it weren't so then I guess you'd stop reading after the first one exploded in your face so just hope you're not a fast reader.

I didn't think about that. drat.

What if you cast it in a room full of mirrors, y'know, like in Enter the Dragon, so the target accidentally sees all the runes at once and gets hit by a chain of explosions and flying glass? And the mirrors have had cyanide splashed all over them?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Halloween Jack posted:

What if you cast it in a room full of mirrors, y'know, like in Enter the Dragon, so the target accidentally sees all the runes at once and gets hit by a chain of explosions and flying glass? And the mirrors have had cyanide splashed all over them?
Find the nearest dragon, I guess. He could probably use a clever trapmaker for his lair and you know the dude pays well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CapnAndy posted:

Find the nearest dragon, I guess. He could probably use a clever trapmaker for his lair and you know the dude pays well.

Or, you know, kills you as soon as you're done installing it.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

CapnAndy posted:

Provided he doesn't pull an Ivan the Terrible and have you killed / blinded after creating the trap.

^^ DAMNIT! I would have been faster, but I had to confirm the Ivan the Terrible reference.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Honestly being a master trapsmith is the worst thing you can devote your life to because you're basically just begging to betrayed and killed.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Noonsaliwah posted:

He was asking how somebody came up with a wrong theory, that seems like a fair question. Xykon wasn't at one of the other gates when Roy asked his question, he was on his way to Azure City (or in the library with Serini's diary, or at a hobgoblin settlement)

To clear up,
There are 3 gates- one in Azure City, Girard's gate and Kraagor's gate.
It seemed unlikely Xykon would go to Azure City, since it's a large city full of Paladins (while the other two are in a desert and ice cap), so Roy only asked the Oracle whether Xykon would first go to Girard's gate or Kraagor's gate.
The Oracle answered that Xykon is going to Giarard's gate first (out of those two options). So Xykon will at some point go to Girard's gate and can't die here.

That's some Hitchhiker's Guide poo poo right there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pope Guilty posted:

Or, you know, kills you as soon as you're done installing it.

Kramer posted:

Provided he doesn't pull an Ivan the Terrible and have you killed / blinded after creating the trap.
See, this is precisely the attitude that leads to so many dragons getting killed in their own lairs.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
If you're a master trapsmith, you just tell your client you'll send them the passwords to get past the traps in the mail, after payment.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ograbme posted:

If you're a master trapsmith, you just tell your client you'll send them the passwords to get past the traps in the mail, after payment.

The best trapsmiths always disguise themselves with parallel illusions. This is so paranoid employers won't easily pursue them after they finish, and so the less scrupulous adventurers can't go after their family.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

drat, this could be a hell of a campaign. A crew of master trapsmiths, going from job to job, where the adventure is to turn the lair into the very best deathrap you can possibly make it (or they'll pay for), get paid, and get out alive again. I'd absolutely play that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CapnAndy posted:

drat, this could be a hell of a campaign. A crew of master trapsmiths, going from job to job, where the adventure is to turn the lair into the very best deathrap you can possibly make it (or they'll pay for), get paid, and get out alive again. I'd absolutely play that.

Getting paid could always be an issue, but getting out is as easy as ensuring each member of your team has a couple of scrolls of Plane Shift and the capacity to use them. Considering the best group of trapsmiths you could assemble would be Artificers, Rogues, Factotums, prestige-class-Trapsmiths, and actual, factual primary spellcasters, that's not too hard.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
from the panel it looks like it's heading to either the ocean or the sewage plant. Not as good as being in with the snarl, but I'll take it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Well hell, now that nobody can get to his phylactery due to the difficulty of locating it, it might not be a bad idea for him to get himself killed so he can reform at his phylactery and go from there.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
He or Redcloak can always use Discern Location to find where it is. If either V or Durkon can cast 8th level spells they could find it too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DoctorTristan posted:

He or Redcloak can always use Discern Location to find where it is. If either V or Durkon can cast 8th level spells they could find it too.

Isn't the phylactery cloistered like Haley and Belkar?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Gyges posted:

Isn't the phylactery cloistered like Haley and Belkar?

Thought that only applies to living creatures?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
He said that he's got so many abjurations on it that even he doesn't remember what half of them do. Some sort of protection from scrying is a pretty reasonable safeguard, since he'd probably assume that it'd be where he left it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

bison wings posted:

from the panel it looks like it's heading to either the ocean or the sewage plant. Not as good as being in with the snarl, but I'll take it.

Yeah, that's what Elrond thought about the One Ring after Isildur bought it, and look what happened there.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hopefully that blue telepath Redcloak dredged up to read O-Chul's mind has a Seer friend, because probably nothing short of Hypercognition or Metafaculty is probably gonna find that thing for them.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Grimwall posted:

Damnit, this just makes him harder to destroy than before; it's not like a lich cares if it wakes up at the bottom of the ocean. I was hoping that SOME good would come of this side trip.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Has no-one else noticed that the physical site of the most destructive power in this campaign just happens to look like a big hairy pussy?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I couldn't help it but I shouted out "YES!" at both the near miss and at Xykon being pissed off at the end of the strip.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

CK07 posted:

Has no-one else noticed that the physical site of the most destructive power in this campaign just happens to look like a big hairy pussy?

So does every crack in reality ever depicted in any visual medium. It's a given that it's a giant glowing vagina. Just like all aliens are moist/slimy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sefer posted:

I was hoping that SOME good would come of this side trip.
It has allowed V to rescue O-Chul and probably make some sort of daring escape (and fight Tsukiko?) It also seems likely to in some way move the plot away from Azure City (thank God.) Speaking of which, am I the only one who thought that the last 150 or so strips were really starting to be dragged out with no plot advancement until just a month or so ago?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
He just has to kill himself and he'll regenerate right where the phylactery is. No need to find it! I don't know how long it takes for him to reform though..

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

tripwood posted:

He just has to kill himself and he'll regenerate right where the phylactery is. No need to find it! I don't know how long it takes for him to reform though..
Perhaps, but sending hobgoblins (or hobgoblin zombie mariners in a submarine of hobgoblin corpses) would probably be more to his liking.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Affi posted:

I couldn't help it but I shouted out "YES!" at both the near miss and at Xykon being pissed off at the end of the strip.
I'm a sucker for comics that end in panels with just Xykon and his facial expressions.

Edit: Like this one..

Nosy_G fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 9, 2009

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

tripwood posted:

If I'm a Lich I don't kill myself on purpose, hoping to reform in my Phylactery unless I know exactly where it is and who has it in their possession. There is really no reason to take that large of a risk just to speed up the process of finding the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Cliff Racer posted:

It has allowed V to rescue O-Chul and probably make some sort of daring escape (and fight Tsukiko?) It also seems likely to in some way move the plot away from Azure City (thank God.) Speaking of which, am I the only one who thought that the last 150 or so strips were really starting to be dragged out with no plot advancement until just a month or so ago?

The Roy-Golem and Thief Guild malarky really didn't do anything for me up until Sexy Shoeless God of War, and the armada/island was hit and miss, but since Belkar got his mojo back and V got some game it's been hitting a lot more .... baseball ... analogies.

I'm Irish okay?