Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

Burn, Galactica! You're finished, Adama!

Izzy Mandelbaum posted:

Ugghhhh there's been talks of Saw 8 and Saw 9. I really wonder how many they're gonna put out. I stopped caring after watching the second one.

I haven't really disliked any of the Saw movies so far, but I think they started getting weaker after the third one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
well when the main character is dead, it makes writing something of a challege.

They really should retire that francise and try something new.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

max4me posted:

Prequels, man. Prequels.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

LeechCode5 posted:

I haven't really disliked any of the Saw movies so far, but I think they started getting weaker after the third one.

...once they killed off the engineer!

I loved Saw II simply because you can tell that the special effects team had a complete loving blast making it. They really haven't recaptured that obvious glee since, which is too bad; it made SII fun to watch, and everything afterward has been a snooze fest.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
So apparently it's official and Kevin Williamson is going forward with a "reboot" of the Scream franchise, including talking to Courtney Cox and David Arquette about coming back in some way. I think Wes Craven has said he'd be willing to be involved if he liked the script.

I find this to be a supremely stupid idea.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

UncleMonkey posted:

I find this to be a supremely stupid idea.

Yeah, I can't help but think that any reboot of Scream would miss the point entirely. Plus, why are people rebooting series from the 90s?

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly
If anyone is interested in the Friday the 13th reissue Blu-ray and DVD's that were released Dread Central has reviews here: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32022/friday-13th-reissue-review-blow-out

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

knifehitz posted:

If anyone is interested in the Friday the 13th reissue Blu-ray and DVD's that were released Dread Central has reviews here: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32022/friday-13th-reissue-review-blow-out

The reviews for the new Parts 4, 5, and 6 DVDs sounded fairly positive. I sadly somehow lost all my old bare-bones F13 DVDs last time I moved, so I'm glad they've been coming out with new editions that have at least SOME special features. Thanks for that link.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think that any reboot of Scream would miss the point entirely. Plus, why are people rebooting series from the 90s?

I think it could work. As Scream was a satire on the slasher film, a Scream reboot should be a satire on remakes. Especially considering the amount of horror remakes and reboots we're seeing now.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

LeechCode5 posted:

The reviews for the new Parts 4, 5, and 6 DVDs sounded fairly positive. I sadly somehow lost all my old bare-bones F13 DVDs last time I moved, so I'm glad they've been coming out with new editions that have at least SOME special features. Thanks for that link.

I'm going to wait for 4, 5, and 6 to come out on Blu-Ray (I hope). They are my favorites. I never get why 5 has such a bum rap, I always loved it. It's just fun to watch, tons of kills and it doesn't take itself to seriously. Bonus points for "awesome boobage" too.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

knifehitz posted:

I'm going to wait for 4, 5, and 6 to come out on Blu-Ray (I hope). They are my favorites. I never get why 5 has such a bum rap, I always loved it. It's just fun to watch, tons of kills and it doesn't take itself to seriously. Bonus points for "awesome boobage" too.

I really like part 5 as well. It's like an episode of Scooby Doo.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

max4me posted:

Not necessarily in the horror genre. People would probably line up for ghost Jigsaw or zombie Jigsaw or demon Jigsaw or whatever.

max4me posted:

They really should retire that francise and try something new.

From an artistic perspective -- yes, but from a business perspective, they can probably still pump out these films at an alarming rate and still make money.

And there's no real need to get into a debate over which factor is more important to the studio.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think it could work. As Scream was a satire on the slasher film, a Scream reboot should be a satire on remakes. Especially considering the amount of horror remakes and reboots we're seeing now.
It's currently listed on IMDb as Scream 4, but it would be hilarious if this is the case and they call it Stab.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

InfiniteZero posted:

From an artistic perspective -- yes, but from a business perspective, they can probably still pump out these films at an alarming rate and still make money.

And there's no real need to get into a debate over which factor is more important to the studio.

Well these movies are cheap to make play to a niche market and can be shoveled out annually. I know the Halloween movies were suppose to an annual thing. But gently caress they got run into the ground. Now its a repeat of that.

half the power of the first saw was just the last reveal and the awesome musical score, that was about it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

knifehitz posted:

One of the biggest problems of 5 was that it got back to that stupid POV/only see the killer's hands bullshit, when we had finally gotten away from it in 4. Kills from the POV angle just look dumb for the most part, and most of the kills in 5 were POV because they were 'hiding the identity of the killer' or whatever. People dislike it emotionally because of Roy, too, but I think the dumb kills are the biggest issue.

It had the most boobs, and the most kills I think, and that fantastically stupid/funny axe kill at the beginning, and I like it because it's so silly, but compared to basically all of the others except 1/2, the kills suck.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Does anyone know anything about the Friday the 13th (2009) release later today? I saw commercials for the Extended Killer Cut, and was curious what more was gonna get added. It doesn't really matter for me, I'm going to most likely blind buy the most expensive Blu-Ray version anyways. But others might be curious.

edit: this review seems pretty comprehensive: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/blu-ray-review-friday-the-13th3/

try the new taco place fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 16, 2009

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just picked up the Friday DVD. No commentary? These fuckers are going to make me double dip in a few years :(

I also saw separate Uncut and 3D versions of Friday 3. Are these worth it? I don't want to re-purchase anything I already have from the 2004 box set. I think the only Friday I would re-buy for an uncut version would be part 7.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess this is a horror.
Local film fest just posted it's lineup and Chan-Wook (Oldboy) Park's Thirst is on it.

Anyone seen it yet?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Frontalot posted:

It's currently listed on IMDb as Scream 4, but it would be hilarious if this is the case and they call it Stab.

Starring Tori Spelling in a remake of Scream 1.

Hope she puts some weight on.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

Boinks posted:

I also saw separate Uncut and 3D versions of Friday 3. Are these worth it?

From what Dread Central said the Blu-Ray in 3d is way better than the DVD. Apparantly the 3d on the DVD is major headache material. I can't say as I haven't seen either, but I will probably get the blu-ray in 3d even though I have the box set.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/friday-13th-part-3-3d-blu-ray

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Pet Rock Band posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Friday the 13th (2009) release later today? I saw commercials for the Extended Killer Cut, and was curious what more was gonna get added. It doesn't really matter for me, I'm going to most likely blind buy the most expensive Blu-Ray version anyways. But others might be curious.
Without reading the review, and having seen both the theatrical cut and the killer cut, I honestly couldn't tell you what was inserted. The difference is that negligible. I don't even think there's more violence. My guess would be more interaction between the teens.

EDIT: Having read it, he's probably right. It's still very strange that a modern horror movie would be released with an R-rated director's cut. If anything deserves to be unrated, a Friday the 13th film does (incidentally, when will I ever get to see the theatrical version of bag-against-a-tree?).

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 17, 2009

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

A lot of the differences between the theatrical and "killer" cut are pretty minor, and some of them were kinda pointless, but here's what I noticed changed (spoilered just in case for those who don't want to know until they see it):

* You get a slightly better view of young Jason during the opening credits/Mrs. Voorhees bit.

* The dude who gets his leg caught in the beartrap's death is very slightly altered. In the theatrical he looks up to see Jason already running at him, in the killer cut he looks up and Jason is standing still near the campfire. I think the the theatrical version of this bit was actually better, now Jason almost seems to teleport.

* An added bit with Clay and Jenna first getting to Camp Crystal Lake, with Jenna mentioning she hates camping.

* An added bit with Jason sharpening his machete, and having a redundant and pointless flashback of his mother getting beheaded from the beginning of the movie, and then kicking some poo poo around.

* Biggest change in the movie: Whitney escaping from Jason's lair and almost reaching Trent's house, then getting recaptured by Jason.

* I'm not sure about any of the other kills, but Trent's is a bit bloodier and longer than in the theatrical cut.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
The Friday the 13th Blu-Ray release has a nine-minute preview of the much-anticipated Trick 'r Treat that is finally coming out this Halloween (in select theaters and on DVD).

Somebody uploaded the clip and it looks just as awesome as first thought. By that I mean it looks corny, cheesy and has quite the fun Halloween spirit.

It's about goddamn time.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Great news about the sequel to the Friday the 13th Remake: they want to set it in winter, in the snow, and they read a lot of comments about people wanting more creative kills and have told the writers to go wild.

I can't wait to see this--next year, I assume.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Secks posted:

The Friday the 13th Blu-Ray release has a nine-minute preview of the much-anticipated Trick 'r Treat that is finally coming out this Halloween (in select theaters and on DVD).
How long have we been waiting for this now? Three years? Goddamn, it's about time.

timeandtide posted:

Great news about the sequel to the Friday the 13th Remake: they want to set it in winter, in the snow, and they read a lot of comments about people wanting more creative kills and have told the writers to go wild.

I can't wait to see this--next year, I assume.
In the snow? Goddamn, that would be awesome!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I've been waiting for a good winter themed slasher for awhile :awesome:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

The Duke posted:

I've been waiting for a good winter themed slasher for awhile :awesome:

Check Out Cold Prey 1 and 2.

In other news the trailer for The Stepfather hit internet today and it looks terrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLpZQ7B_CY&feature=player_embedded

The only somewhat cool looking part is the end but the PG-13 rating assures you nothing is going to happen.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

What does everyone think of The Stepfather poster, though: http://www.ioncinema.com/movie/id/4680/the_stepfather

And I'm not sure if taking a serious approach to a movie like this sort of movie is a good idea--the above poster/etc. would suggest a movie that's more self-aware or maybe a very hosed up comedy (I guess you could make a decent satire out of The Stepfather's plot, something that messes with the notion of the traditional nuclear family and suburbia).

And are there any opinions on The Orphan? We were talking about it in the lovely Movies thread.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

timeandtide posted:

And are there any opinions on The Orphan? We were talking about it in the lovely Movies thread.

Doesn't really look like a slasher but to be honest it really looks like it could go either way. I don't think it looks terribly poo poo but it doesn't look good either. I hate the fact it gives away that there is a twist because now I'll be looking for it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Slasherfan posted:

Doesn't really look like a slasher but to be honest it really looks like it could go either way. I don't think it looks terribly poo poo but it doesn't look good either. I hate the fact it gives away that there is a twist because now I'll be looking for it.

If the twist is the one discussed in that thread, it sounds completely hilarious, and I can't believe that anyone could guess something that stupid.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

timeandtide posted:

What does everyone think of The Stepfather poster, though: http://www.ioncinema.com/movie/id/4680/the_stepfather

And I'm not sure if taking a serious approach to a movie like this sort of movie is a good idea--the above poster/etc. would suggest a movie that's more self-aware or maybe a very hosed up comedy (I guess you could make a decent satire out of The Stepfather's plot, something that messes with the notion of the traditional nuclear family and suburbia).

I don't think the original has the kind of cultural awareness to warrant a comedic take. It's a pretty solid premise for suspense because of how creepy it is when you mom is screwing a killer under your family roof.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
It's looking like Halloween 2 and Final Destination 4 are oping on the same day, just wondering which one you guys will be seeings. I'd vote FD4, love the first 3, the trailer is cool and it's 3-D, shame the title sucks (The Final Destination?!?!?).
I hated the first Halloween remake, the trailer for part 2 is terrible, just saw a TV spot that looked like it had deleted scenes from House Of 1000 Corpses in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg9d16y3atA
I'll end up seeing both but Final Destination 4 is my top piority at the moment.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

How can the secret behind his madness be revealed in this one when the first one already showed that he's evil cos he was an ugly hick kid. I'm putting Final Destination well before it because even if Final Destination some how manages to be crap it'll at least be in 3D and fun. Plus it should have the trailer for Piranha 3D in front of it.

The Stepfather trailer looks bad but is the original Stepfather worth tracking down for crazy Terry O Quinn action?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

The Stepfather trailer looks bad but is the original Stepfather worth tracking down for crazy Terry O Quinn action?
Yes. It's one of the creepiest, crawliest thrillers of the 1980s. I wouldn't go so far as to call it horror (certainly not as much as its sequels) but it's pretty disturbing.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Slasherfan posted:

The twist is the 'orphan' is actually a psycho adult woman with dwarfism pretending to be a child

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Frontalot posted:

Yes. It's one of the creepiest, crawliest thrillers of the 1980s. I wouldn't go so far as to call it horror (certainly not as much as its sequels) but it's pretty disturbing.

The sequels are pretty trashy but not entirely unwatchable as well.

The Stepfather kicked off the "what if ___, who you trust, is going to kill you" movies (which eventually mainstreamed with movies like "Hand that Rocks the Cradle"). Terry is very creepy but it's still very much 80s B movie in a lot of other ways.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

The Remote Viewer posted:

The twist is the 'orphan' is actually a psycho adult woman with dwarfism pretending to be a child

But...but...That's not how dwarfism works. What the gently caress?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Ape Agitator posted:

The sequels are pretty trashy but not entirely unwatchable as well.
Having seen the sequels I can say The Stepfather III is one of the greatest films of all time.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Frontalot posted:

Having seen the sequels I can say The Stepfather III is one of the greatest films of all time.

And why is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

timeandtide posted:

And why is this?
The camera. The loving pastel camera.