Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Simkin posted:

Pics Video or it didn't happen

It's not exactly a difficult thing to do, just depends on how much of a jerk you are willing to look like. And I'm willing to look like a big one.

Today I noticed cords showing on my VFR's rear tire. Put it up on the center stand, took four lugs off and got a new tire mounted and balanced (it only took cycle gear 20 minutes) and slapped it back on. It totally made up for the day it took to take the wheel off the Buell and the day it took to put it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the muffler off. even shimmed out to the side it was melting the tire. son of a gently caress.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Took the rotozip to my airbox and replaced what I cut with a couple of pod filters :c00l: . I can access my jets A LOT easier now

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Took the rotozip to my airbox and replaced what I cut with a couple of pod filters :c00l: . I can access my jets A LOT easier now

Which is a good thing as you will be rejetting it every week trying to get it to run right. :v:

Just finished packing the bike, off on a 3 day trip in western Norway's finest terrain. Catch you later! :cool:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
As a reminder, this is what we started with:

I've been a bit busy...

First, I installed a rear shock from a 2005 Bandit 12. This raised the bike ~2" and makes it a bit more comfortable. Then, I put on a stock rear fender. It looks better than a fender eliminator in my opinion. Additionally, it gives the taillight a place to mount other than the rear fairings.

I also put on the V&H 4-1 exhaust the bike originally came with. I figure it saves some weight and I'm over my obsession with dual exhausts.

Since my front fairings were in such awful shape, I installed a Buell headlight/flyscreen setup. Now the front of my bike looks like a wacky alien.

I also installed a Trailtech Vapor gauge and the upper triple from a Katana 750, which raises the bars about 1" or so.

Currently, I'm waiting on a longer clutch cable and longer SS brake lines before I'm comfortable taking it out. The clutch cable is a necessity - with the bars fully turned to the right, the clutch was completely disengaged. When I went to adjust the cable, the adjuster broke off :(. I also have a set of Napoleon bar end mirrors to install, but in order to do that I've got to grind out the nut welded to the inside end of the bars...

So here's the question - should I put the rear fairings back on or leave it as is? Also, $1 prize to the first person able to guess what I used for the brackets to mount the gauge.

laymil fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 8, 2009

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Which is a good thing as you will be rejetting it every week trying to get it to run right. :v:

Don't worry, I have a K&N Air/Fuel ratio on order so it'll run right soon

Also put on a balla (ebay special) new clutch cover

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

laymil posted:

Also, $1 prize to the first person able to guess what I used for the brackets to mount the gauge.
blanking plates from a computers expansion slots?

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 8, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

laymil posted:

So here's the question - should I put the rear fairings back on or leave it as is? Also, $1 prize to the first person able to guess what I used for the brackets to mount the gauge.

I'd put them back on... they do protect some important stuff. Did you have your seat redone?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

echomadman posted:

blanking plates from a computers expansion slots?

You win. Let me know your paypal since I don't make empty promises :).

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I'd put them back on... they do protect some important stuff. Did you have your seat redone?

I did not have the seat recovered, but the previous owner once removed had it recovered in what I was told was "boat leather." It seems to hold up to the weather relatively well.

laymil fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 9, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

laymil posted:

You win. Let me know your paypal since I don't make empty promises :).

haha, my buddies "temporary" (2 years since we made it now, still going strong) checker-plate flyscreen on his fazer is held on with those. it was all i had for a ghetto rig up after he smashed the fairings in a crash and needed something to keep water off his clocks.
my pc still has 2 open slots at the back.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I installed a state of the art GPS!

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

hey guys this thing uses SATELLITES and RADIO WAVES! It's old and big, but it was also cheap and waterproof. Plus I really liked 2004 :colbert:

RAM mounts are the best thing, and yes the bike needs a wash.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The old Pilot Road on the front was getting worn, so I decided to try out a Shinko 009 Raven on the EX500. Man, this thing is slick right now. I lost traction just pulling out of the driveway, then again on a crosswalk while nearly upright.
The different geometry feels funky too, guess it'll take a bit to get used to.
Also bought a pair of Fieldsheer Attack gloves on closeout, it's a bit too chilly in the morning for my JR Phoenix gloves and way too warm for the Tour Master winter gloves that are a pain in the rear end to pull on/off if your hand's even a little sweaty.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Lets see last Friday I:

- Looked in the air box
- Took off the front brake caliper and discovered I have plenty of meat on my pads
- Drained the float bowls
- Sucked on the air intake to refill the carbs with gas
- Drained my battery in a vain effort to start the bike.

And then yesterday I:
- Called a mechanic
- Called a tow truck

hahahahah

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Had to re-do them about 3 times because I kept messing up. Handlebars are such a simple swap but there's so many things to screw up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We washed the woman's "brand new" 84 V30 Magna. That's a rad little ride. We found a pretty good score on one with 15k mi last weekend. I took it home 60 or so miles up Interstate 5. It gets up pretty good if you let it and it corners real nice for a "cruiser".

Can barely hear it though, not used to that. I like a nice *blat* over my shoulder.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drilled partway into the bolt. It's not all the way through, clearance is just fuckin' having its way with me. I need longer bits or a bit extender. And longer EZ outs.

e: Also I learned that it's never safe to assume that just because every other bolt you've dealt with on the bike is coarse thread, this one is too.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 10, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FINALLY got a new chain and sprocket for ye olde Bandit. The parts counter guy warned me that going to a front sprocket without the goofy Suzuki rubber baffle on it might make the chain louder, but I havent noticed anything.

I hand-filed the old chain rivets off because I am a man. A man who doesnt own a grinder.

For anyone looking for a chain breaker, this thing works like a charm, and its only $9 to boot.

Now I have the rear-end torn apart because I am replacing the stock rear shock with one from a 2008 GSXR-1000, should be a nice upgrade.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Checked valve clearances. Everything was okay. Pulled the carbs. (Again.) Swapped out the #120 Keyster main jets for the SC-specific 118's. Popped the caps to see if any of the CV pistons were sticking. Looked everything over with a more discerning eye than I did when I assembled them, and noticed things like this:

Click here for the full 1712x1082 image.

Worst one shown for dramatic effect, but all 4 were hosed. Dug out the piston/needle assemblies from the original carbs, cleaned them, then swapped them around amongst the carbs until I found the best fit for each one.

Lunch break, I'll report back later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

Checked valve clearances. Everything was okay. Pulled the carbs. (Again.) Swapped out the #120 Keyster main jets for the SC-specific 118's. Popped the caps to see if any of the CV pistons were sticking. Looked everything over with a more discerning eye than I did when I assembled them, and noticed things like this:

Click here for the full 1712x1082 image.

Worst one shown for dramatic effect, but all 4 were hosed. Dug out the piston/needle assemblies from the original carbs, cleaned them, then swapped them around amongst the carbs until I found the best fit for each one.

Lunch break, I'll report back later.

What would even cause that sort of wear? Weird.

Phat_Albert posted:

FINALLY got a new chain and sprocket for ye olde Bandit. The parts counter guy warned me that going to a front sprocket without the goofy Suzuki rubber baffle on it might make the chain louder, but I havent noticed anything.

I hand-filed the old chain rivets off because I am a man. A man who doesnt own a grinder.

For anyone looking for a chain breaker, this thing works like a charm, and its only $9 to boot.

Now I have the rear-end torn apart because I am replacing the stock rear shock with one from a 2008 GSXR-1000, should be a nice upgrade.

You don't even own a dremel with a grinding wheel? For shame!

(Everyone makes fun of me because I grind the pins off with a grinding wheel :mad: )

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

What would even cause that sort of wear? Weird.

I think it's because the needle rattles around in the jet when riding.

I just got a home from my trip. 1217 km, 3 days, the best scenery and roads of western Norway and a full flash card of pics. I've got about 500 panoramas to stich, and right now I have some beer to drink, so expect megareport tomorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I think it's because the needle rattles around in the jet when riding.

I just got a home from my trip. 1217 km, 3 days, the best scenery and roads of western Norway and a full flash card of pics. I've got about 500 panoramas to stich, and right now I have some beer to drink, so expect megareport tomorrow.

Awesome, love megareports.

Wouldn't it rattling around in the jet cause more grooving and less pitting though? It looks like something has taken chunks out of it, not like it's been bashing up against a jet...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Update:

Fired right up, idled OK at ~1100 rpm. Not buttery-smooth, but it doesn't sound like it's about to die, either. Pilots are set at 1-1/2 turns out, that's where they'll stay for now (if it ain't broke...). There's still a noticeable (but not frightening) stutter between 5500 and 7500, especially in 5th, but not as bad as it was. The biggest difference? It actually redlines now! 75 in 3rd gear? Yes, please.

*eagerly awaits Ola's trip report*

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Discovered that the right side mount for my gauge cluster is either broken or wasn't attached correctly by the shop that last worked on the bike. The front fairing was wedged against it, instead of underneath it like it should be. When I popped it back into position, the gauge cluster flopped around a little bit. I'll be taking it apart later this afternoon to see what's up.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
Went for a ride and found that the bike sounds funny and doesn't have the power it should. Thought about the very recent valve adjustment job I did and how I tried to cheat a little by not removing the cams, but by removing the adjuster and loosening the cams, rocking them up to clear the shims instead while trying to keep the mechanical timing intact. Figured I failed and now have to time the engine properly. Swore.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yanked off the subframe. Hooray escalation!

e: Mother pus bucket, this is going to make the drillthru a pain. For you non-KLRistas, the drillthru puts a larger hole through the subframe attachment points I've been yarking about for a week, and you use a single, larger, extremely strong bolt. The problem: it's through that roundbar going through the main frame tube. There'll be about a 25 thou wall through the narrow diameter, and that's if I hit it perfectly, and I'm no loving drill Jedi.

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 12, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Today I found out the rain + new tire + going over railroad tracks = fishtailing VFR.

I was already going slow (but accelerating from a stop) and the back end just came out real violently considering the rain. It stepped out one way, then snapped back the other way. I don't know how I didn't fall, but I just kept my feet on the pegs and I don't think I even eased off the throttle very much. Of course, I then rode away nonchalantly so everyone at the intersection thinks I do this all the time. I've ridden in the rain before but never was it that slippery. :sweatdrop:

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Swapping a GSXR shock into my Bandit did one thing: make me realize how mushy the front end is :(

Pretty soon its going to be Busa front-end time, I can tell already.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Got up at 0400, drove 150km to south west Sweden (from east Denmark), made sure all bits and pieces were tightened, washed it, removed unneeded bits and taped up all lights, got it approved at the track mechanic's... And then raced it for 7 hours, weeeee! First trackday for this bike. What a blast!

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I rattle-can painted the milk crate I strap to the back of my bike brown to match the tank and plastics. I also added a blast of reflective topcoat so the drat thing turns into a giant reflector when hit with headlights.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I dropped mine. Guy in a truck took a left hand turn a little too close for comfort as I was pulling up to a stop sign at a "T" intersection. My dumb rear end grabbed a handful of front brake and locked it up. Came to an immediate and abrupt stop and I went to stab my feet to the ground.

Found out that if your left foot is on the ground and your right foot is on the edge of the peg you can step down hard enough to upset the belence of your bike and tip over on to the right side.

End result was one scratch on the OMG sized can, light scuffing on the case and one smashed front right side turn signal. Didn't even put a mark on the radiator thankfully...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cleaned this:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Out of this:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

drat MICE!!!

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I hate mice. Make sure none of your wiring is chewed up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I rode mine. Tomorrow, may well be a 500+ mile day.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

EvilDonald posted:

I hate mice. Make sure none of your wiring is chewed up.

Everything looks OK, but I'll double check. I bought this bike a month ago and I've just now gotten around to opening the air box. There was a bolt that just turned, so I hadn't opened it until now. As far as I can tell, the only thing wrong with it is the high beam is out, but I am sure it's just the bulb.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
we moved the ignition on my buddys fireblade streetfighter down from the top yoke to inside the frame today. it allows the clocks to sit way back and will make fitting a small flyscreen (next weekends task) a lot easier.

[IMG]http://img.waffleimages.com/b969d61e4c5d189eee657c9ae59126a0c701d3ee/P1010247 (Medium).JPG#via=salr][/IMG]

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Put a new tire on the front of my VFR. That makes both tires new and ready for my advanced rider course tomorrow. I'll report back if it's worth anything.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Fixed the petcock and rode all day. I also spotted a 1987 DR650 for sale at the side of the road which is exactly the bike I was thinking of buying to continue my decades of lovely old Japanese bikes thing I have going.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
fixed the coolant line with a 50c bolt and some teflon tape. or at least I hope I fixed it.

idle readjustment and coolant adding tomorrow

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlueBayou posted:

fixed the coolant line with a 50c bolt and some teflon tape. or at least I hope I fixed it.

idle readjustment and coolant adding tomorrow

Make sure you adjust when its warmed up! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Assembled the linkage on the Goldwing carbs, then installed them and fired the beast up after a 2.5 month downtime. I probably should have filled the bowls with fuel first, so it took a while to catch; it ran like a champ after that. An old, fat, punch drunk champ. But a huge improvement over what it was like when I got it nevertheless.

[edit]
Here's the epoxy repair I made to the mixture screw tower, that I discussed earlier:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73245657@N00/tags/mixturerepair

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 14, 2009