Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Doctor Who.

I am just getting into it, and I've been trying to watch as much as possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

butros posted:

god dammit i'm halfway through season 3 and though i was safe to look at a spoiler about season 1.

gently caress.
It's not really a spoiler that will ruin anything for you. Don't worry - it's not as bad a spoiler as you think.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Just finished the second season of Life on Hulu. Fantastic show; first season was about 50% crap and 50% diamonds but season two was pure gold.

And is it just me, or is Garret Dillahunt shooting to become TV's new angel of death for shows canceled before their time? Life, Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles, The 4400, Deadwood... how long do you have to go before you pass Ted McGinley?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ufarn posted:

It's not really a spoiler that will ruin anything for you. Don't worry - it's not as bad a spoiler as you think.

Additionally, the show spoils it themselves about five episodes before it actually happens - they ran a taped message from Martin Sheen explaining the situation to the viewers, and how the show would handle it.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Slimy Hog posted:

Doctor Who.

I am just getting into it, and I've been trying to watch as much as possible!

Come join us over in thread! (No seriously don't you'll be thoroughly put off). A question, though, is that the revival series or the classic one?

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch Friday Night Lights. Get Season 1, skip 2, and go straight to 3. It's one of the best dramas

Season 2 had its moments (Saracen in the tub for one). But they somehow made Minka Kelly aggravating.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I think I might try watching The Unit again. The first time I tried watching it I only got 5 minutes in before turning it off.

I was just going to rewatch Sleeper Cell again, something that I simply can't recommend enough because it is absolutely fantastic television, but I've already seen it all the way through 3 times so I think I'm going to wait a while longer.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Just finished Veronica Mars after about a month of solid binging.

I really liked it, but the last episode didn't live up to expectations and left too many loose threads that needed to be tied up. I understand that they didn't have much warning but it seemed to me like they left a ton open as a gamble to try and get renewal.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I've got a load of free time this summer, so I've decided to watch some cable dramas I've missed out on over the years. I just got caught up with Big Love, and found it thoroughly enjoyable overall. It floundered a little throughout season 2 and for parts of season 3, but the last 4 or 5 episodes were some of the most compelling hours of television I've watched. I think the score contributed to this in a lot of ways. They had a good thing going with Mark Mothersbaugh in season 1, but the guy that took over in season 2 tried to imitate him too much and it felt clunky and out of place most of the time. He started doing his own thing in season 3, focusing much more on orchestral elements to match the increasing intensity and it was just the perfect fit.

I've got about 5 or 6 shows that I'd like to get through, and I think I'll give Deadwood a go next. One of my professors absolutely raves about it, and he tends to know his stuff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just binged through Reaper, giving it a second chance after I catched some of the later episodes of Season 1 on TV (the pilot being weak and the first ten-or-so episodes being bland compared to the following episodes which are great).

It's partly attributable to the fact that you don't have to suffer through the atrociously written Andi-Sam drama, after they hook up - for good. Great writing otherwise, though.

Bad time to pick of a series, the imminent cancellation considered. :smith:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Haven't watched any Adult Swim in over a year I think, but I'm currently on my third run through Frisky Dingo. It's got a lot of the Williams Street stoner absurdism of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, but for some reason it feels like 30% less dumb. (Maybe it's just Killface's British accent.) And the Arrested Development-esque densely layered snowballing jokes make repeat viewings more rewarding. I thought the final five episodes were missing a little something but it's a shame this will never get a proper ending.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Just blew threw Season 2 of Dexter in a weekend. Soooo much better than Season 1! The level of tension in some of the episodes was off the chart. Amazing.

And if the actor who played Doakes had any ability whatsoever, the scenes between he and Dexter in S2 could have been some of the best on TV. But even with that subpar actor they were amazing.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Ishamael posted:

And if the actor who played Doakes had any ability whatsoever, the scenes between he and Dexter in S2 could have been some of the best on TV. But even with that subpar actor they were amazing.

He is the best actor of our time, motherfucker :colbert:

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
Ive only started watching Chuck 3 days ago after reviews from this thread. I finished the whole series yesterday really sad that there wasn't anymore to watch. Now I will probably move on to something else like Entourage, but I really can't seem to get into anything because Chuck was probably the best show I have ever seen.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm slowly working my way through all 15 seasons of ER. Pray for me.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Speaking of Entourage, I watched the pilot of that, and it seemed interesting but moved way too fast for me to get a sense of who anybody was. Should I watch it again more closely or keep going and pick it up?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Speaking of Entourage, I watched the pilot of that, and it seemed interesting but moved way too fast for me to get a sense of who anybody was. Should I watch it again more closely or keep going and pick it up?

It's not really a... complicated series that you'll need to rewatch to understand. The pretty boy actor gets laid, his older brother acts like a vain pussy, the fat guy smokes weed, his agent acts like a dick and the short guy acts like a dick without the agent's charisma. That's every episode of Entourage.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Keep going and it'll pick up. Entourage has been one of the most entertaining shows I've watched.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone ever seen numb3rs? Is that any good?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

A Violence Gang posted:

It's not really a... complicated series that you'll need to rewatch to understand. The pretty boy actor gets laid, his older brother acts like a vain pussy, the fat guy smokes weed, his agent acts like a dick and the short guy acts like a dick without the agent's charisma. That's every episode of Entourage.

Oh ok, cool. I picked that much up, just didn't know if there was something I'd missed on account of the pace. Didn't catch anyone's name, etc. I'll keep watching, thanks.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Oh ok, cool. I picked that much up, just didn't know if there was something I'd missed on account of the pace. Didn't catch anyone's name, etc. I'll keep watching, thanks.

Everyone eventually comes into their own and proves their purpose... although I'm still not sure why they need Turtle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dassiell posted:

I tried to get into it, but the fact that the guy could use maths to solve EVERYTHING just got really silly, like the time he took account of the locations of all the drive-by shootings in a city and used MATHS to work out where/when the next shooting was going to happen.

Specialbear
Jan 6, 2007
Not that type of special

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

EXACT same situation with me. I watched an episode 2 years ago, and was lost at all the characters. I binged through the rest about a month ago....it really comes together quickly and then it's a lot of fun, albeit formulaic.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Ishamael posted:

Just blew threw Season 2 of Dexter in a weekend. Soooo much better than Season 1! The level of tension in some of the episodes was off the chart. Amazing.

I personally thought Season 1 was a little bit better than Season 2, but the Doakes-Dexter interactions in Season 2 are loving awesome. (Season 2 spoilers)It's too bad they killed him off at the end, I really don't know if the show could pull off another great antagonist like Doakes.

Season 3 was pretty good, a lot of people had problems with the fact that Dexter and the main killer of the season don't really interact outside of like 2 episodes, but I thought Jimmy Smitts was loving great.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Dassiell posted:

Seasons three through five are on instant netflix, and the first two could be had cheap. I love the show.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
The last four weeks I've seen all the Daria episodes followed by My so-called life.

I never really watched Daria that much when it was new - came to Denmark a few years later and apparently they never aired the last season - but due to the General Discussion 90's nostalgia thread I gave it a spin, and drat was it worth my time. - Luckily considering I went through it all in about two weeks. - It ended perfectly without getting stale, and with its few running threads neatly tied up.

Afterward I was reading Daria comments on imdb.com and read one mentioning "My so-called life" from 94 (one season only), so I gave it a go.
I can certainly understand how it was something special back then if 90210 was what preceded it. What a shift. Even today it's a good show, and that's with me not re watching it in a nostalgic view, or seeing it with the angle of someone that experienced it as a pioneer (for both of these I would have had to have seen it back then, or for the latter at least not have seen other TV-shows of that sort before).
Did they really need to make such a cliff hanger. I hate when the TV/movie industry does this. You can easily make natural sequels without them as long as you don't seal everything. Just make a normal episode ending god drat it. Should be a rule of thumb.

I should probably start seeing something manly now. Preferably with blood and gore. :black101: Naeh... I'm gonna go with Twin Peaks. Only seen the pilot, but it seems interesting. Although I don't know what to make of it yet.

I'll listen to some metal like Slayer and Children of Bodom. That should even things out. gently caress YEAH!

Jarl fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 9, 2009

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Lost 3 weeks ago I started season 1, as of now I'm halfway through season 5. A lot of my feelings can be found in the Lost thread, but the bottomline is I really do like the show, even with its faults. And Sayyid is awesome

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Bones. Watched Season 1 3 discs at a time through Netflix, got Season 2 Disc 1 on a Friday and ended up going to a Blockbuster (first time in years) to rent discs 2-6 on Saturday. Just finished Season 2 last night. I don't really go in for cop shows/procedurals but I really like the characters

\/Second that! Jekyll was pretty awesome.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 11, 2009

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Jekyll, holy poo poo, by far the most impressive show I've seen in a while and I watch quite a lot of shows.

Infernus
Nov 17, 2007
Don't just stare at it, eat it
Just finished the first season of The Wire, and holy poo poo I loved every second of it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm a little over halfway through the first season of the Tudors. I kept putting it off because every review I read of it said basically the same thing. That it was non-stop sex with no plot. I'm pleasantly surprised to find out that those reviews aren't really accurate at all. Sure there's sex but there's quite a bit more plot that follows the events of that time period. So far I'm enjoying it a lot and I hear season 2 is even better so I'm excited about that as well.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Rapsey posted:

Jekyll, holy poo poo, by far the most impressive show I've seen in a while and I watch quite a lot of shows.

Welp, I'm finally convinced to watch it. It's written by one of my favourite writers anyway.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Infernus posted:

Just finished the first season of The Wire, and holy poo poo I loved every second of it.

I marathoned this show 6 months back loved the whole thing though personally I felt season 5 was the weakest, most seem to think Season 2 is.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
I'm going through The Shield via Netflix. It certainly is a binge as when I start watching a DVD I go through all 4 episodes in one sitting. Currently, I'm half way through season 2.

Knowing how it all ends isn't spoiling the enjoyment of these episodes, either. I watched the series on and off, but probably only saw a dozen or so episodes when it first aired.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
I just finished terminator tscc. Just found out it's been canceled. gently caress my life, folks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ShortRoundMcfly posted:

I just finished terminator tscc. Just found out it's been canceled. gently caress my life, folks.

It's you. You're the one. If you'd watched it when it was airing, it wouldn't be canceled.

Much like all you Firefly latecomers.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

It's you. You're the one. If you'd watched it when it was airing, it wouldn't be canceled.

Much like all you Firefly latecomers.

Can't put all the blame for Firefly on us - it's not like FOX made it easy to watch.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
About to watch the last ep of season 1 of Burn Notice and I absolutely love it. I didn't think it was possible for me to love Bruce Campbell more than I did before, but my god, I love Sam so much. Fiona can be annoying, but she's tolerable as long as she's being a badass and not a lovesick puppy. Such a fun show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jedi posted:

Can't put all the blame for Firefly on us - it's not like FOX made it easy to watch.

Whedon: OK I've written a first episode that introduces all of the characters, explains their motivations and sets the scene for the entire series.
FOX: OK, we'll play that one last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I sat and watched all of The United States of Tara. That is an amazing, amazing show. Hopefully it doesn't pull a Weeds and take a big nose dive later on. I just love how everything plays out, and how it's not totally generic and predictable.

And the gay son is just so cute. :3: