Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toxick
Oct 20, 2008
The Touch gets updates in September, along with the rest of the iPod line. It kind of sucks, but at least in the time between the release of new iPhones and new Touches, Apple has time to fix hardware/software problems the iPhones have, which (in theory) makes for smoother Touch releases, since they share 95% of the same hardware/software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
How prone is the iPod Touch to slowdown due to fragmentation and such. Is it recommended to restore it every so often to avoid slow down?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Uberskooper posted:

How prone is the iPod Touch to slowdown due to fragmentation and such. Is it recommended to restore it every so often to avoid slow down?

I've never heard of anything like that. Some of the more demanding applications will recommend you reboot before using them in order to make sure as much of your RAM is free as possible, but that's about it.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Is there anyway to add songs to a certain playlist from the actual Ipod Touch?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Uberskooper posted:

Fragmentation is a non-issue with solid-state storage.

King of Spit posted:

Is there anyway to add songs to a certain playlist from the actual Ipod Touch?

Besides creating an On-the-Go playlist, no.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
Quick Q. Does Apple still give a 10% off iPods day of when you turn in an iPod for recycling?

edit: found it! yes they do.

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 29, 2009

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

StopMakingSense posted:

Quick Q. Does Apple still give a 10% off iPods day of when you turn in an iPod for recycling?

edit: found it! yes they do.

What if I buy an iTouch and turn in an iPod?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Philip J. Fry posted:

What if I buy an iTouch and turn in an iPod?

Well, the Touch is called an "iPod Touch" by Apple, so I would assume it's considered an iPod.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Well, the Touch is called an "iPod Touch" by Apple, so I would assume it's considered an iPod.

Haha valid point.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Floopik posted:

Neat little trick for quick passwords in Safari: Download hClipboard on Cydia, go to Notes, type out your passwords and copy them. Now you can call them up and paste them instantly by hitting the 'globe' button anywhere you have a keyboard. The main issue with this is security, but I doubt anybody you give your iPod to to play around with is going to be interested in any of your passworded sites.
Thanks for this!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What am I doing wrong that my touch ends up with the battery dead every day when I am not using it?

Is there some way to force it not to wake up unless I really want it to?

I would shut it down completely, but rebooting takes too long to use it when I want to.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

kapalama posted:

What am I doing wrong that my touch ends up with the battery dead every day when I am not using it?

Is there some way to force it not to wake up unless I really want it to?

I would shut it down completely, but rebooting takes too long to use it when I want to.

Are you leaving an application running when the display goes to sleep?
Depending on the application that can kill the battery even though the iPod screen is off.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

confusion2005 posted:

Are you leaving an application running when the display goes to sleep?
Depending on the application that can kill the battery even though the iPod screen is off.

This would explain it then. I just pull it out to calculate exchange rates, and then throw it back in the bag.

I should just go back to the 'desktop' or whatever they call the program picker screen then?

(WiFi is always off because I can never, ever actually connect to any wifi signal ever.)

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

kapalama posted:

This would explain it then. I just pull it out to calculate exchange rates, and then throw it back in the bag.

I should just go back to the 'desktop' or whatever they call the program picker screen then?

(WiFi is always off because I can never, ever actually connect to any wifi signal ever.)

Also is Bluetooth on?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

confusion2005 posted:

Also is Bluetooth on?
Currently, there is no bluetooth in Touches.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

xamphear posted:

2nd Gen and Nike+ would disagree with you.

Technically bluetooth. :colbert:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

DarkSol posted:

2nd Gen and Nike+ would disagree with you.

Technically bluetooth. :colbert:
I meant in terms of accessible features. That's why I said "currently." A chip he can't use isn't going to be draining his battery.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

xamphear posted:

I meant in terms of accessible features. That's why I said "currently." A chip he can't use isn't going to be draining his battery.

But you can still toggle bluetooth on or off.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
My touch got stolen, really loving outstanding. I hate people. Is there anything I can / should do through Itunes so that whoever has it can't download new aps etc via my expense?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

King of Spit posted:

My touch got stolen, really loving outstanding. I hate people. Is there anything I can / should do through Itunes so that whoever has it can't download new aps etc via my expense?
Change your iTunes store password just in case, but any new purchases will require it so you probably have nothing to worry about.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
So TomTom just made an announcement that they will release an App for the iPhone. But I wonder if this will be available for the iPod Touch...I have a Nokia bluetooth GPS receiver, and it would be great to use it with an application on the iPod instead of my normal Nokia phone.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

xamphear posted:

drat, i keep forgetting to make sure whether i'm in the touch or iPhone thread :embarrassed:

King of Spit posted:

If you had the new iPhone 3.0 OS installed (and Mobile Me), then you could remotely locate it or remotely erase it :cool:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

confusion2005 posted:

drat, i keep forgetting to make sure whether i'm in the touch or iPhone thread :embarrassed:
If it was next week you'd be right, so take heart.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I wanted to take a moment to again recommend https://www.switcheasy.com to anyone looking for a case for their iPod Touch. I picked up a NeoTouch for my 2nd gen a couple of months ago and absolutely love the case. Recently however I noticed that the silicon slip cover had begun to tear around the volume rocker and when I originally tried installing the silicon the first cover I used tore in the corner. You're probably wondering why I'd recommend them after both of the silicon covers that came with the case tore; well today I received another entire new NeoTouch as a replacement. I had contacted them about getting the silicon portions replaced since the case is under warranty thinking they would just send me a few more covers and was really surprised when the package I was expecting from them today contained an entire brand new NeoTouch case, that's a $30 value!

Awesome service, very friendly staff, and overall a great product that they do stand behind.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Is there any way to transcode videos from my PC to my iPod2G live? As in, it doesn't need to convert the entire file beforehand, it will just start and transcode as I watch it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grimes posted:

Is there any way to transcode videos from my PC to my iPod2G live? As in, it doesn't need to convert the entire file beforehand, it will just start and transcode as I watch it.

You can run an Orb server on your PC, and use the Orb app on the Touch.

Evil Kaneval
Sep 28, 2001

Jumping books since 1938

Protip posted:

I wanted to take a moment to again recommend https://www.switcheasy.com to anyone looking for a case for their iPod Touch. I picked up a NeoTouch for my 2nd gen a couple of months ago and absolutely love the case. Recently however I noticed that the silicon slip cover had begun to tear around the volume rocker and when I originally tried installing the silicon the first cover I used tore in the corner. You're probably wondering why I'd recommend them after both of the silicon covers that came with the case tore; well today I received another entire new NeoTouch as a replacement. I had contacted them about getting the silicon portions replaced since the case is under warranty thinking they would just send me a few more covers and was really surprised when the package I was expecting from them today contained an entire brand new NeoTouch case, that's a $30 value!

Awesome service, very friendly staff, and overall a great product that they do stand behind.

I use this case as well and it's definitely decent. I did have problems getting the case all the way on without the silicon cover getting all bunched up in spots. I had to actually trim parts of the silicon cover that were hanging out in spots off to get it looking halfway decent. Once I did that it's been smooth sailing. Maybe I'm just a huge idiot when it comes to putting these things on though.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Evil Kaneval posted:

I use this case as well and it's definitely decent. I did have problems getting the case all the way on without the silicon cover getting all bunched up in spots. I had to actually trim parts of the silicon cover that were hanging out in spots off to get it looking halfway decent. Once I did that it's been smooth sailing. Maybe I'm just a huge idiot when it comes to putting these things on though.

It's definitely not the world's easiest skin to install. I had the same issues with you with my first skin, but when trying to second one I somehow figured out the magic way to do it and it easily snapped on/together with no bunching up of the silicon skin. The best advice I could give anyone who gets the NeoTouch is to take your time with it.

On a side note I also have a BestSkinEver applied underneath my NeoTouch and on the screen for added protection, the combination works great.

Weed Consciousness
Jun 4, 2009

Muad'Dib
Grimey Drawer
What's the lag between new iPhones and new Touches? As someone who's never wanted a Touch, I'd never bothered to pay attention, but I'm picking a Mac Pro this summer, and scoring a Touch with that promo they got going.

I'm positively sure that the promo deal is there so they can clear out their stock of current-gen Touches before they roll out new ones to match the new iPhones, so there's no chance I'll be landing one for free, but just interested.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Weed Consciousness posted:

What's the lag between new iPhones and new Touches? As someone who's never wanted a Touch, I'd never bothered to pay attention, but I'm picking a Mac Pro this summer, and scoring a Touch with that promo they got going.

I'm positively sure that the promo deal is there so they can clear out their stock of current-gen Touches before they roll out new ones to match the new iPhones, so there's no chance I'll be landing one for free, but just interested.

Both Touch models have been announced in September.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I was resynching my iPhone with my iTunes today after reformatting and it asked me to authorize so I don't lose all my apps.

Sounds great! I put in my credentials and I get an unknown error 8001. Oh boy!

What do I do now? I've done this about 8 times.

EDIT: I had to log into the iTunes store first. That was dumb.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 10, 2009

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Okay I got an Ipod the other day (freakin awesome) but I am going to be getting a new college laptop soon. Whats gunna happen with my music and crap? Im guessing, I'll just have to download new music(transfer old comp music to new) and sync it up with the laptop?
Id love to be able to use both of em but I guess ipods don't allow that? I'm not using music bought from itunes either.

e: does synching it up with a new comp remove other stuff like, email/contacts/bookmarks?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Both Touch models have been announced in September.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean that the newer models will be announced in September?

Edit: I forgot to post my real question. I'll be buying an iPod Touch as an upgrade to my Dell Axim x51. Right now, I keep my PDA in its included slip case, which looks like this:

Are there any good slip cases for the iPod Touch?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 10, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Karthe posted:

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that the newer models will be announced in September?

No, not necessarily. I guess I could have phrased that better as "in the past, the Touch models have been announced in September".

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Karthe posted:

Are there any good slip cases for the iPod Touch?
There are more types and brands and styles of cases for the Touch/iPhone than any other consumer device I have ever seen. Google it, search amazon, or swing by your local electronics store to get a glimpse.

Malalol posted:

Okay I got an Ipod the other day (freakin awesome) but I am going to be getting a new college laptop soon. Whats gunna happen with my music and crap? Im guessing, I'll just have to download new music(transfer old comp music to new) and sync it up with the laptop?
Id love to be able to use both of em but I guess ipods don't allow that? I'm not using music bought from itunes either.

e: does synching it up with a new comp remove other stuff like, email/contacts/bookmarks?
You can have up to 5 devices linked to your iTunes account, so both PCs will be fine. Your contacts and stuff will be backed up to the PC the first time you sync it. Your library moving question is better directed at the iTunes thread in SHSC, but it should be very easy, especially if you use the "let itunes manage your library" option.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, not necessarily. I guess I could have phrased that better as "in the past, the Touch models have been announced in September".

It's basically a given that the touch will be updated this September, since the new iPhones have gotten a pretty substantial upgrade when it comes to graphics capabilities, and Apple likes to market the touch as a gaming device.

I'm wondering if the rumor about it getting the 3.2MP video camera is true. I'm also curious if the touch will end up getting that matte plastic case that Apple was testing for the iPhone 3G S but seemed to drop at the last minute. It would make sense since Apple seems to want to physically differentiate it a bit from the iPhone. Probably not that lucky though.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

For those looking for a case I highly recommend checking out the reviews at https://www.ilounge.com

They provide a pretty good run down of what's out there.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

toxick posted:

It's basically a given that the touch will be updated this September, since the new iPhones have gotten a pretty substantial upgrade when it comes to graphics capabilities, and Apple likes to market the touch as a gaming device.

I'm wondering if the rumor about it getting the 3.2MP video camera is true. I'm also curious if the touch will end up getting that matte plastic case that Apple was testing for the iPhone 3G S but seemed to drop at the last minute. It would make sense since Apple seems to want to physically differentiate it a bit from the iPhone. Probably not that lucky though.

Ugh... I hate the fact they might be putting a camera on the touch. I can't bring anything with a camera on it into my office. Oh well. :sigh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkSol posted:

Ugh... I hate the fact they might be putting a camera on the touch. I can't bring anything with a camera on it into my office. Oh well. :sigh:

Well... soon you'll be able to find cheap 32GB models as people try to get rid of them for the latest and greatest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Astro7x posted:

Well... soon you'll be able to find cheap 32GB models as people try to get rid of them for the latest and greatest thing.
Yep. I'll be ditching mine as soon as I can get a 64 gig model.

• Locked thread