Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

MattWPBS posted:

Also, what's the letter writing ref?

It's a reference to me being a PC crybaby and having a problem with Government Warning and writing a letter to MRR about it. I am totally embarrassed about it now, and I would rather not go much more into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
My thursday and friday are going to KICK rear end

Thursday, June 4th, 7pm
Sick Fix
Control
Boiling Over
No Minion

Friday, June 5th, 7pm
Let Me Run
We're All Broken
Sundowners
the Ghostwrite

Also, 108 is still so loving good.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
MRR letter writing never goes well, John Caution penned one about Rabies failing at being provocative. The guy from Punks Before Profits always writes contrived bs about how much is owed to him. Old friend but jesus he sure is demanding.

I grabbed the Infame LP from Destino Final in Austin and its great.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Inepsy EP: far better or far worse than City/Weapons? C/W is still my favorite but I do like RNR Babylon and No Speed Limit a lot.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
My band just got done recording our first demo, and we've uploaded two new tracks to myspace. Any feedback on the tracks would be really cool.

http://www.myspace.com/lightsleeperband

For fans of HWM/Latterman/Alexis/Lawrence Arms I guess.

Thanks!

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Just thought I would let everyone know that the new Comadre and Daniel Striped Tiger albums are amazing.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Just thought I would let everyone know that the new Comadre and Daniel Striped Tiger albums are amazing.

I really need to keep more up to date on new releases, need to check those out faaaast.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Cathab posted:

My band just got done recording our first demo, and we've uploaded two new tracks to myspace. Any feedback on the tracks would be really cool.

Thanks!

Wow dude! I like this poo poo. I clicked your link and kept meandering through the internet listening and much to my surprise when I clicked back to read about you guys I realised that you're a loving Brisbane band. You guys definitely have your craft worked out. I might have to go to your 7th of August show. Can definitely hear the Hot Water Music influence!

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

MacDougall posted:

Wow dude! I like this poo poo. I clicked your link and kept meandering through the internet listening and much to my surprise when I clicked back to read about you guys I realised that you're a loving Brisbane band. You guys definitely have your craft worked out. I might have to go to your 7th of August show. Can definitely hear the Hot Water Music influence!

Haha wow, thanks very much man. Come say hello if you end up at the show!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Cathab posted:

Thanks!

It is good, but you guys should really re-upload the original song you had up there! It was my favorite of the three for sure. Keep it up though, i like it.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Did anyone pick up the Andrew Jackson Jihad/Cobra Skulls split? Worth getting?

Also gently caress YES! Clitfest is gonna be in LA this year!!!

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
That was the other thing I meant to mention - lovely Limits album is out now.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Also all the people talking about Leftover Crack made me pick up a couple of their albums last night. Thank you 'cause this poo poo owns. If you know more bands that sound like this besides Chocking Victim obviously, please let me know.

FrozenDiarrhea
Mar 30, 2005

Can I Say
No Cash sounds similar. Not so much ska though. If you like Stza then you might want to try Star loving Hipsters too.

Any heard the new Shook Ones album? If so, what do you think?

FrozenDiarrhea fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 9, 2009

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

FrozenDiarrhea posted:

No Cash sounds similar. Not so much ska though. If you like Stza then you might want to try Star loving Hipsters too.

Any heard the new Shook Ones album? If so, what do you think?

I never heard of the Shook Ones before this post, and checked them out. I like it. Sounds sorta like a cross between dillinger four, small brown bike, and kid dynamite.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Triangulum posted:

Also all the people talking about Leftover Crack made me pick up a couple of their albums last night. Thank you 'cause this poo poo owns. If you know more bands that sound like this besides Chocking Victim obviously, please let me know.

Morning Glory and INDK are both cool, better than LoC in my opinion.
Less Stza is an improvement.

Seconding No Cash as well.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

I liked the new Comadre but it's not as good as the old stuff. There's no sing-a-long (scream-a-long?) like Burn the Scene or Hit Me Up On Your Celly Cell.

albear fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 10, 2009

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sweet I'll check those bands out. Thanks dudes.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I was down with the Crack Rock Steady bands and their imitators in high school but their fans are just really, really obnoxious.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
How so?

Also am I retarded or does it seem like all the summer festivals seem to be on the east coast or midwest? I'm in Southern California and it seems like slim pickings over here. I'm going to Clitfest and probably Warped but if there are some on the west coast I'm missing please enlighten me.

E: Oh my god Niņo Zombi owns

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 11, 2009

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Going to see Pour Habit(http://www.myspace.com/pourhabit) tonight. My brother is friends with the vocalist, so it will be cool to chill with them and possibly meet No Use For A Name(they are headlining). Check out their myspace, they got signed by Fat Wreck Chords recently and I think they are going to get pretty big, they continue to get more and more well-known. They are pretty good, check em out.

luckdragon
Dec 5, 2008

Pres posted:

If no-ones heard of them, thew new ghost of a thousand album came out today and it's amazing.

https://www.myspace.com/theghostofathousand

i'd be supporting them next month if my band hadn't split up :(

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Triangulum posted:

How so?

Also am I retarded or does it seem like all the summer festivals seem to be on the east coast or midwest? I'm in Southern California and it seems like slim pickings over here. I'm going to Clitfest and probably Warped but if there are some on the west coast I'm missing please enlighten me.

E: Oh my god Niņo Zombi owns

yeah but being in southern california arent there just shows constantly? or is this just a misconception from someone who lives in barren phoenix?

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
Southern California has shows, but they're usually at pretty lame venues. Not a whole lot in the cheap all-ages situation down there.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I just posted the order for my band's (Legitimate Business) new CD in SA-Mart. Hopefully some of you have 12 bucks to spare so I can send you a copy! Click my band's name there if you want to hear the new single "First World Problems".

Buy it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3152223

Or here:

We're doing a record release show in Asbury Park in July, followed by dates in Philly, DC, CT, and Long Island. Hopefully some of you can make it out if you're into it!

Brendo
Apr 7, 2009

Primitive
If anyone hasn't heard it yet the new Magrudergrind album is out and its REALLY good.

Also, Weekend Nacho's new album is out and is also awesome.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Triangulum posted:

How so?

Their shows are just constantly full of irritating drunk 16 year old kids who think they're punk as gently caress.
Its not like any punk band is really without that kind of fan, but LoC and related bands just seem to bring it out in the worst way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Their shows are just constantly full of irritating drunk 16 year old kids who think they're punk as gently caress.
Its not like any punk band is really without that kind of fan, but LoC and related bands just seem to bring it out in the worst way

The whole anarcho-punk thing doesn't help plus Stza is just a tool

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Iron Lung posted:

yeah but being in southern california arent there just shows constantly? or is this just a misconception from someone who lives in barren phoenix?

Yeah there are a lot of shows, especially in LA. But gerfatty's right, the venues are often lovely expensive and have bad sound to boot (House of Blues SD I'm looking at you douches). In San Diego we've got a couple good cheap all ages places like the Che Cafe and Soma. Soma is really infested with annoying high school kids though, the kind that just want to hug their girlfriends while they watch some ska. Only place I've been where kids will just completely flip their poo poo if you run into them :psyduck: It's a loving concert dude.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Triangulum posted:

Yeah there are a lot of shows, especially in LA. But gerfatty's right, the venues are often lovely expensive and have bad sound to boot (House of Blues SD I'm looking at you douches). In San Diego we've got a couple good cheap all ages places like the Che Cafe and Soma. Soma is really infested with annoying high school kids though, the kind that just want to hug their girlfriends while they watch some ska. Only place I've been where kids will just completely flip their poo poo if you run into them :psyduck: It's a loving concert dude.

When I was seeing this girl that lived in La Jolla we would go to Soma whenever I was down to visit and you pretty much nailed it. The venue is pretty nice though and has a show practically everyday from what I remember, so it's not bad if you're into that whole scene.

In other news Brand New is touring small rock clubs in July and I picked up some tickets for the San Francisco date. Oh my god it's going to be amazing.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 11, 2009

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

-Atom- posted:

When I was seeing this girl that lived in La Jolla we would go to Soma whenever I was down to visit and you pretty much nailed it. The venue is pretty nice though and has a show practically everyday from what I remember, so it's not bad if you're into that whole scene.

In other news Brand New is touring small rock clubs in July and I picked up some tickets for the San Francisco date. Oh my god it's going to be amazing.

I got in a fight with a dude who was probably about 16-17 years old at Soma because I accidently elbowed his girl in the face while skanking. Absolutely loving retarded. But the venue is really cool other than the kids and they have tons of shows, so you can't bitch too much.

I wish they would stop having the local ska concerts on the sidestage though. It always sells out and then yo ugotta wait in line which always sucks.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Hey Triangulum, Riot Fest is going to be on the West Coast this year (November). Not sure if it'll be the same line-up as Chicago but it should still be good. Not sure how far south it'll be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Triangulum posted:

I got in a fight with a dude who was probably about 16-17 years old at Soma because I accidently elbowed his girl in the face while skanking. Absolutely loving retarded. But the venue is really cool other than the kids and they have tons of shows, so you can't bitch too much.

I wish they would stop having the local ska concerts on the sidestage though. It always sells out and then yo ugotta wait in line which always sucks.

man that's gay as hell

One of my best friends met his girlfriend when he accidentally punched her in the face at a Toasters show

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Awesome, thanks Ferrule.

Dickeye posted:

man that's gay as hell

One of my best friends met his girlfriend when he accidentally punched her in the face at a Toasters show

:3: That's adorable. Strangely enough the Toasters were playing at that show I got in a fight at.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
A buddy of mine go so frustrated with one of those dudes "protecting their girlfriend" he threw him over the ledge of a sectioned crowd. Only about a 5 foot drop onto people that probably thought he was trying to crowd surf, but funny as poo poo nonetheless.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

gerfatty posted:

A buddy of mine go so frustrated with one of those dudes "protecting their girlfriend" he threw him over the ledge of a sectioned crowd. Only about a 5 foot drop onto people that probably thought he was trying to crowd surf, but funny as poo poo nonetheless.

Ahaha your friend owns. I hate those "protect the girl!" fuckers. They can barely "protect" them anyways in most cases and just act like little bitches instead. I mean poo poo, I'm 5'3 and 115 lbs and if I can kick your boyfriend's rear end then there's a problem.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Triangulum posted:

I know a girl who consistently stands at the side of pits, I've seen her be knocked unconscious 2 shows in a row and come out with a nearly broken nose after getting a heel to the face before. Does her boyfriend get all defensive? No, he just calls her an idiot for standing there and laughs.

quote:

As someone who has been disconnected from a scene for 2 years now I can promise you that hanging out in the line and loving about with friends is one of the biggest things you will miss if you ever get disconnected.

Kelley Geuscaulk
Jun 5, 2009

Triangulum posted:

Soma sucks balls ever since they moved to Midway area and the owner is a little bitch (but that's another story). Che is awesome but pretty small. In Mira Mesa there's an all ages venue called Epicenter. And there is The Jumping Turtle in North County that's all ages as well but I've never been there. Another cool place in SD (not all ages) is Brick by Brick and also Dreamsteet for the bar music scene. They get a lot of metal and poo poo like that.

Don't go to LA that much but they got Chain Reaction. Just saw Disembodied there and I really liked it. Sound could have been a little better. In Pomona they got the Showcase, which is also all ages. Showcase is a really cool venue. Saw Unbroken/Undertow/Threadbare there a few weekends ago and was very impressed.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Dickeye posted:

The whole anarcho-punk thing doesn't help plus Stza is just a tool

Huh? I don't think you know what anarcho is. But yeah, the suburban crusties are the worst part about that collective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Huh? I don't think you know what anarcho is. But yeah, the suburban crusties are the worst part about that collective.

The term "anarcho", at least in my hometown, had changed from its actual meaning to something more derogatory i.e. suburban crusties. We knew it wasn't what the term actually meant, but it was just funny to watch the stupid crusties think we were giving them a compliment.