Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
I'm really hoping GOG picks up Strife, an end-of-engine-life FPS-RPG style game which used the Doom engine. It didn't get much notice 'cause of the engine's age at the game's release (among other reasons if you believe Wikipedia), but the game itself was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Klenath posted:

I'm really hoping GOG picks up Strife, an end-of-engine-life FPS-RPG style game which used the Doom engine. It didn't get much notice 'cause of the engine's age at the game's release (among other reasons if you believe Wikipedia), but the game itself was fantastic.

Suggest it on the site :)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They just implemented a personal wishlist feature. Now I can get rid of that text file in My Documents. Also the Gothics are on sale.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

In honor of DNF I just bought DN3D Atomic and I am very pleased with my purchase. The whole 2.5D skewed perspective takes some getting used to.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New promo:

quote:

Castles + Castles 2 for only $4.49
Conquest of the New World for only $4.49
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising for only $4.49
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business for only $4.49
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 for only $4.49
Sacrifice for only $4.49
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II for only $7.49
Perimeter for only $7.49

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

And a new game: Neighbours from Hell compilation for $9.99.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Charlie Mopps posted:

Castles + Castles 2 for only $4.49

Castles 2: Siege and Conquest on Mac was on my of my favourite games as a kid. I probably put more hours into this than Super Mario World. The PC version is identical in terms of gameplay from what I can tell, but the interface and graphics are not as polished.

The GoG description is lacking so I'll try and convince you this is worth $4.50.

You collect resources from territories and use them to build an army, conduct diplomacy, trade, perform story actions, and build castles.

The way actions are performed is a little strange. You have a certain number of points in 3 categories which basically amount to: Collection/Building, Combat/Sabotage/Unit Recruitment, Diplomacy/Scouting. You then assign a certain number of points to a task, so if I have 6 points in the first category I might put 3 on collecting wood and 3 on gold, and with 4 in the combat territory I might put them all on the task of attacking a neighbouring territory.

Story: Every once in a while a random story event will pop up, asking you to make a decision. You will often have to decide between spending resources or units or not. It's stuff like sending away units to fight bandits or funding an expedition for holy relics. The rewards can be in resources, units, "happiness", etc. There are story arcs that require severral decisions over the course of the game. This story stuff is in addition to regular play involving other people sabotaging your territories and sending diplomats.

Castles: You design your own castle from scratch or choose from existing templates. This can be really fun. The screenshots on GoG show the various stages, from floorplan, to construction, to siege.

Pope: The goal is to get The Pope to recognize you as heir to the throne before a certain date. You can also attack The Pope's territories and get excommunicated and make everyone hate you.

So yeah, you can spend $4.50 on worse things than this game. Highly recommended if you can get over the graphics and want something to play semi-casually. It's basically like PopCap's version of Total War.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 9, 2009

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Charlie Mopps posted:

And a new game: Neighbours from Hell compilation for $9.99.

That looks a lot like the old Home Alone games on consoles. Which, weirdly enough, were sort of enjoyable for me. Anyone tried this?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Snowmanatee posted:

Castles 2
Well, even though I have never heard of Castles before, your post just made me buy it ... Is Castles 1 worth playing or should I just start with Castles 2?

EDIT: Please tell me someone's porting Castles 2 to the Nintendo DS! This would be the perfect game!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 9, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
You know, the more I look at the prices on the revised Apogee/3D Realms store, they're mostly $5.99 with two games at $9.99, they both have revised installers and DOSBox wrappers, and GoG has an Apogee catalogue started already...

...so, why aren't the other games on GoG? Developer/Publisher disagreements is the only thing I can think of.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Charles Martel posted:

You know, the more I look at the prices on the revised Apogee/3D Realms store, they're mostly $5.99 with two games at $9.99, they both have revised installers and DOSBox wrappers, and GoG has an Apogee catalogue started already...

...so, why aren't the other games on GoG? Developer/Publisher disagreements is the only thing I can think of.

They don't want to cut it three ways instead of two?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So there's a buzz going around on a new game (games?) coming out tomorrow. Here's what I've found so far:

GOG's Twitter Feed posted:

New deal coming tomorrow! Prepare to sleuth!

Who here loves 90s games with FMV?

Interesting. Well, tomorrow's new game announcement may be interesting to some of you. Nobody's mentioned it yet, though :)

GOG's Facebook Page posted:

Fans of film noir: be sure to visit GOG.com tomorrow!

Hmmm...90's FMV...film noir. I was going to guess Max Payne, but that came out in 2001.

Discuss.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
grim fandango? discworld?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm guessing Noir: A Shadowy Thriller

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

grim fandango?

Not FMV.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

Hmmm...90's FMV...film noir. I was going to guess Max Payne, but that came out in 2001.

Discuss.

There's no way it won't be Tex Murphy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_a_Killing_Moon

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fallom posted:

I know of Tex Murphy, but I've never played the games and always wanted to. That would be cool.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I played "Tex Murphy: Overseer" back then and totally enjoyed it, especially because it had this noir-trash-movie charme. Still, the interactive 3D parts were really immersive and scary as hell for my young self.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If they can guarantee that the Tex Murphy game(s) works on Vista x64, I'm taking out my wallet ASAP. I have such fond memories of Under a Killing Moon, and it was quite a unique game in a sea of lovely FMV games in the 90s.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fallom posted:

That would be awesome, I always wanted to play that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wonder if GOG will ever get some Lucasarts adventure games?

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

flatluigi posted:

I wonder if GOG will ever get some Lucasarts adventure games?

I don't think I've ever seen a LucasArts game on a digital download service.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Snowmanatee posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a LucasArts game on a digital download service.

I guess there's a first for everything. Not to mention GoG at least has permission to give out BASS. I doubt they did this without at least first getting the okay from someone at LucasArts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overwined posted:

I guess there's a first for everything. Not to mention GoG at least has permission to give out BASS. I doubt they did this without at least first getting the okay from someone at LucasArts.

Considering that Beneath a Steel Sky wasn't made or published by LucasArts, they probably didn't have any say in the matter.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Considering that Beneath a Steel Sky wasn't made or published by LucasArts, they probably didn't have any say in the matter.

Really? My bad, I assumed that because ScummVM ran it that it was a LucasArts project.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Charles Martel posted:

So there's a buzz going around on a new game (games?) coming out tomorrow. Here's what I've found so far:

Discuss.

X-Files? Not really noir but 100% FMV.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I would kill for a Vista compatible Pandora Directive. I've managed to get Under a Killing Moon working in Vista, but not the sequel.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Overwined posted:

Really? My bad, I assumed that because ScummVM ran it that it was a LucasArts project.

I think most of the games SummVM runs aren't from LucasArts

http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

It is indeed Under a killing moon. for 9.99.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Oh man, I still have the original discs for that game. Pretty beefy requirements though: a 386 DX-25mhz, 4mb ram, and 15mb disk space. If you have the specs though, you should definitely check it out. It's a surrealist paradise.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Charlie Mopps posted:

It is indeed Under a killing moon. for 9.99.

It's also Tex Murphy 1 and 2 for 5.99. Overseer and Pandora Directive are coming soon at 9.99 each.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hell yeah. I'm psyched.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's also Tex Murphy 1 and 2 for 5.99. Overseer and Pandora Directive are coming soon at 9.99 each.
You're meant to play these first, right? Are they good or should I start with Under A Killing Moon?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

guppy posted:

Hell yeah. I'm psyched.
You're meant to play these first, right? Are they good or should I start with Under A Killing Moon?

I'm fairly sure the order is:

Mean Streets
Martian Memorandum
Under A Killing Moon
The Pandora Directive
Overseer

Heard good things about the series, but never played them myself. So, classic adventure goons: Should I grab the 1/2 pack?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

The Tex Murphy games? Mormons in spaaaaaaaaace?? YES!

What a great way to wake up. These are without a doubt the best of the interactive movie craze of the '90s. One of my favourite Christmas morning memories is eating chocolate oranges while playing The Pandora Directive and watching my dad shovel the sidewalk outside :cool:

Dominic White posted:

Heard good things about the series, but never played them myself. So, classic adventure goons: Should I grab the 1/2 pack?
Honestly, the games are independent enough that you don't need to necessarily play them in order. Also, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum hadn't aged well when I played them in the late '90s; I can only imagine how they'd play now. I would put them in the "for fans of the series only" category myself. So, I'd say start with UaKM, and if you enjoy the style of the game and have some time to kill before Pandora Directive and Overseer, by all means, go back and try the earlier ones.

edit: it just occured to me that the fact alone that players won't need to swap discs every five minutes makes this news all the more awesome. :dance:

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 16, 2009

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Has nostalgia blinded everyone or are these games actually fun? I kind of enjoyed Gabriel Knight 2 but hated 7th Guest and Phantasmagoria. UaKM sounds like it might be worth picking up?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes they actually are fun. Decent puzzles, a great cast of characters and a fairly easy to use interface.

Play Under a Killing Moon before Pandora Directive (once it comes out.) Those 2 are fairly connected.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Wow, Fallom totally called it. :)

Updating the OP now. ...aaand we're all up to date!

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 16, 2009

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Sweet Christ on a loving cracker I love gog. I wanted to play Under a Killing Moon so badly after seeing it in PC gamer back in the day, but my PC wasn't good enough. I still had to cut stuff out of the boot disk to free ram to play Doom. I am so excited and will buy the next two the second they come out. Incidentally, my sticker campaign around Hong Kong should start soon, so if you're visiting Kwun Tong in the near future, keep a lookout for my handywork.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

gently caress YES.

I borrowed UaKM from a classmate in my sophomore year of high school, started playing it, got to disc 2 and then the school year ended and I had to give it back. :( Finally I will get to finish it!

I actually put four CD-ROMs in my tower for that game because it LET YOU have all four discs mounted at once for really smooth loading :cool:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Soooooooo...When are they getting Blood? :v:

Also, wow, I didn't know they had Shadow Warrior. I may have to pick that up in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

GrandpaPants posted:

I remember going to a friend's house back in about 1991, and he had just gotten Mean Streets for his Commodore 64. It made us totally re-evaluate just what the machine was capable of.

I still don't know how the gently caress they got so much digitized stuff on a few single sided double density disks.