Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

tef posted:

this for new cobol title

Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zootm
Aug 8, 2006

We used to be better friends.

tef posted:

this for new cobol title

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

tef posted:

*this for new cobol title

thesaddestpirate
Mar 19, 2005

tef posted:

this for new cobol title

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

tef posted:

for(cobol_title){ new(this); }

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

tef posted:

[cobol setTitle:self];

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I try to not look at the ORM code someone wrote for the homegrown PHP framework we use at my job. I could stop there... A co-worker just IMed me this gem:
code:
if ($keyword = isset($attribs['__select_keyword']) ? $attribs['__select_keyword'] : NULL) 
{
    $query = "SELECT $keyword * FROM " . $db_name;
}
I guess someone had just learned about the ternary operator.

Pooball
Sep 21, 2005
Warm and squishy.

geetee posted:

I try to not look at the ORM code someone wrote for the homegrown PHP framework we use at my job. I could stop there... A co-worker just IMed me this gem:
code:
if ($keyword = isset($attribs['__select_keyword']) ? $attribs['__select_keyword'] : NULL) 
{
}
I guess someone had just learned about the ternary operator.

I don't see how this could be done any better. It probably started out as "if ($keyword = $attribs['__select_keyword'])" and got changed to avoid an undefined variable warning.

There's no way to do this without repeating the $attribs, and the code keeps the repetition to a single line.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pooball posted:

I don't see how this could be done any better.

Factor out the isset check
code:
if ($keyword = get_if_isset($attribs['__select_keyword'])) 
{
}
and write get_if_isset once, instead of abusing the poo poo out of the ternary operator?

Fehler
Dec 14, 2004

But then you'd get a warning if $attribs['__select_keyword'] is not defined. I guess you could do get_if_isset($attribs, '__select_keyword'), but that's not that nice either.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
A certain API's string class was the cause of a rather unfun bug to chase down tonight. Like some master spy it infiltrated the very workforce of the file parser's data massaging and failsafe routines. Then it used its art of misdirection to shift blame far downfield, where the explosions were actually taking place.

Here's some of the functions at random. Pretty standard stuff:

replace(a,b) // swaps instances of a with b
toUpper() // TAKE A GUESS
insert(a,b) // insert b at position a
arg(a,...) // replace "%0", "%1" etc with each supplied arg (think printf-style)
trimmed() // remove leading and tailing whitespace
append(a) // append a to string

The ones in bold make the changes to 'this' and return a reference to itself. The ones without bold return a new object (by value) with the old one unchanged.

Now just imagine a bug due to this lurking in a file format parser, with endless lines of strings being chained through function after function, reused and reassigned and chained through something else all over.

Pooball
Sep 21, 2005
Warm and squishy.

Fehler posted:

But then you'd get a warning if $attribs['__select_keyword'] is not defined. I guess you could do get_if_isset($attribs, '__select_keyword'), but that's not that nice either.

You can do it with references, ie.
function get_if_set(&$x) { if (isset($x)) { return $x; } else { return null; } }

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Bhaal posted:

The ones in bold make the changes to 'this' and return a reference to itself. The ones without bold return a new object (by value) with the old one unchanged.

This has been coming up recently in the python thread. Nice to see it catching someone out

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Well, $keyword is never used again, so I think this would be a little more straight forward:

code:
if ( isset($attribs['__select_keyword']) ) 
{
    $query = "SELECT {$attribs['__select_keyword']} * FROM {$db_name}";
}
or

code:
if ( isset($attribs['__select_keyword']) ) 
{
    $keyword = $attribs['__select_keyword'];
    $query = "SELECT {$keyword} * FROM {$db_name}";
}
or

code:
$keyword = isset($attribs['__select_keyword']) ? $attribs['__select_keyword'] : NULL
if ($keyword) 
{
    $query = "SELECT {$keyword} * FROM {$db_name}";
}
Maybe I'm being overzealous with this short piece of code, but I loving despise using the ternary operator inside a conditional statement. In fact, I'm really not a fan of assignment in a conditional statement most of the time either.

I'm mostly mad that there is zero enforcement of coding standards here, so every 10 lines looks completely different.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
It can be further reduced to this. Yes, it should work. I think. Erk, been too long.
code:
if(isset($attribs['__select_keyword']))

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
code:
my $dt = DateTime->now;
$dt = $dt->subtract(days => 1);
my %months;

$months{1} = '31';
$months{2} = '28';
$months{3} = '31';
$months{4} = '30';
$months{5} = '31';
$months{6} = '30';
$months{7} = '31';
$months{8} = '81';
$months{9} = '30';
$months{10} = '31';
$months{11} = '30';
$months{12} = '31';

my $is_leap  = $dt->is_leap_year;
if ($is_leap) {
  $months{2} = '29';
}
Yes, let's create some DateTime objects which can do date math, and then roll our own. Yes, August has 81 days. Yes, let's do all this complicated poo poo just to generate a date range to pass into a database... which has its own date functions for this sort of thing.

:ughh:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

McGlockenshire posted:

It can be further reduced to this. Yes, it should work. I think. Erk, been too long.
code:
if(isset($attribs['__select_keyword']))

The best trolls are the ones that aren't obvious. gently caress your brace stripping ways :mad:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

geetee posted:

The best trolls are the ones that aren't obvious. gently caress your brace stripping ways :mad:

It's the closest I can get to Perl's "expression if/unless expression" syntax. PHP! :bahgawd:

Intel Penguin
Sep 14, 2007
hooray
I like this thread but I'd just like to point out that orphaned variables are not by any means a coding horror.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
PHP is, though.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Found this in a Perl script today
code:
if (false) { ... }
Of course there was no use::strict in the file.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Lexical Unit posted:

Found this in a Perl script today
code:
if (false) { ... }
Of course there was no use::strict in the file.

I should hope there wasn't

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah because it wouldn't run if it had it :v:

Edit: I see what you mean: s/::/ /

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 12, 2009

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Maybe someone was too lazy to comment out the entire if structure.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

That was surely their intention, but w/o use strict the bare text false becomes a string literal which evaluates to true :banjo:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Lexical Unit posted:

That was surely their intention, but w/o use strict the bare text false becomes a string literal which evaluates to true :banjo:

more evidence of this:

Shaggar posted:

any language that starts with p is terrible.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Lexical Unit posted:

Seriously? :doh:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Mercator posted:

Seriously? :doh:

I don't think I've ever seen more obvious proof that Larry Wall is just trolling the entire programming language community with Perl. There's no other explanation for the poo poo that goes on there.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
This* is why warnings and strict should have defaulted to on since like 1995

*among many other things

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Nope, sorry, don't wanna break backwards-compatibility with all of the high-quality software that depends on barewords

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Otto Skorzeny posted:

*among many other things

Ummmmm gently caress you buddy? Barewords are a great way of cutting out a few keystrokes in Perl Golf.

implicit
Jun 26, 2005
code:
subtreeExecuteWin32Op( Win32OpRestoreWin32WindowPosRectAndClearInternalWindowPosRectAuthorityLock );
Win32OpRestoreWin32WindowPosRectAndClearInternalWindowPosRectAuthorityLock was the only member of an enum that was only ever used as the argument to subtreeExecuteWin32Op() (which itself did not actually do any useful work, but that is an entirely different story)

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

implicit posted:

code:
subtreeExecuteWin32Op( Win32OpRestoreWin32WindowPosRectAndClearInternalWindowPosRectAuthorityLock );
Win32OpRestoreWin32WindowPosRectAndClearInternalWindowPosRectAuthorityLock was the only member of an enum that was only ever used as the argument to subtreeExecuteWin32Op() (which itself did not actually do any useful work, but that is an entirely different story)

Wow, very descriptive variable names! It's like you don't even need comments, it just explains itself :)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I recently started at the IT department at a school district. As I am the SQL "expert" (read: I have seen SQL before), I was tasked with exporting the data from the student records system we were moving away from into the templates provided for us by our new student records system vendor.

The database is Postgres, the front end is Java, and it's common for the system to crash during report card season, not to mention the general all round terrible performance.

So I look in, and see a billion instances of the following:

code:
          Table "public.sections_in_blocks"
     Column      |         Type          | Modifiers
-----------------+-----------------------+-----------
 section_name    | character varying(20) | not null
 course_name     | character varying(40) | not null
 course_id       | character varying(20) | not null
 course_credits  | character varying(20) | not null
 course_gender   | character varying(1)  | not null
 block_name      | character varying(40) | not null
 semester_number | integer               | not null
 pattern_name    | character varying(40) | not null
Indexes:
    "sections_in_blocks_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (section_name, course_name, course_id, course_credits, course
_gender, block_name, pattern_name, semester_number)
    "sections_in_blocks_blocks_idx" btree (block_name, semester_number, pattern_name)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "$1" FOREIGN KEY (section_name, course_name, course_id, course_credits, course_gender) REFERENCES sections
(section_name, course_name, course_id, course_credits, course_gender) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE
    "$2" FOREIGN KEY (block_name, semester_number, pattern_name) REFERENCES blocks(name, semester_number, patt
ern_name) ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE
Apparently someone discovered that you have to do way less joins if you include all the data in every table. And o hay, with ON ... CASCADE you can change the course name in sections_in_blocks, where it references sections, where it references courses! Relational databases are fun!

So, every year, at every school is in its own seperate database (school A 2007-08 is a different DB than school A 2008-09). I can work with that, because we are submitting the templates on a school by school basis.

Alright, so I need to export the contacts for each student (parents, emergency, etc). Alright, so there is this nice student_contacts table, which has all the contact info I need, and nicely references the students table. Well this should be easy!

code:
WRONG
Turns out, that if I want sparsly populated and incorrect (but still updated somehow to this day) contact info, then I should be pulling from the student_contacts table. If I want the actual correct information, I should pull from the central database that has a table of district wide users which includes teachers, staff, administrators, students, and student contacts. :suicide:

Apparently this district-wide database was the original database. Then, they decided to move away from that to their database-per-school-per-year structure. Not all the way though, just kind of. Queries still needed to be run district wide, and it's much easier to run a query when you're running it against 1 database instead of 140.

Also, I was told not to bother with exporting old marks/grades. "They're not stored correctly. Some of them date back to the early 1900's for some reason." I guess I have a bit of sympathy for the guys trying to maintain a 100-year-old database. I imagine the upgrade to finally using transistors was a tough migration.

EDIT: Also I hilariously forgot that the dates are split up into seperate fields (month, day, year). They are stored as strings. The month field is zero-indexed, so January is month 0, and december is month 11. The day field is not.

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 15, 2009

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
code:
// Split up b/c compiler is issuing warnings when functions get too long
This is in the "unit test" suite :gonk:

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

Flobbster posted:

I don't think I've ever seen more obvious proof that Larry Wall is just trolling the entire programming language community with Perl. There's no other explanation for the poo poo that goes on there.
I completely agree, but this was the proof for me:
code:
bryan@Laptop-2 ~ $ perl -e 'print 3*undef; print "\n"'
As you can see Larry Wall is trolling all of mathematics, as well. Actually, the fact that perl used to default to dynamic scoping in the past was what clued me in.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
sort {$a+=$b} @list;

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Even with my incredibly feeble understanding of programming, I find myself rolling my eyes at some of the stuff you guys are posting.

It baffles me how the people responsible made it into the work place.

This thread also provides a great source of "DON'T DO THIS" for a someone learning their first language.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

*among many other things

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
http://codytaylor.org/?p=14122