Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

tylertfb posted:

If I'm a Lich I don't kill myself on purpose, hoping to reform in my Phylactery unless I know exactly where it is and who has it in their possession. There is really no reason to take that large of a risk just to speed up the process of finding the thing.

Especially if, for the first part of the process, you're a little metacarpal flopping around that someone can scoop up in a jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

tripwood posted:

He just has to kill himself and he'll regenerate right where the phylactery is. No need to find it! I don't know how long it takes for him to reform though..

He could, but that would give him a 2/3 change of having to spend 1d10 days immersed in sewage until he regenerates, which I doubt an egotistical sorcerer like him wants to do.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

Especially if, for the first part of the process, you're a little metacarpal flopping around that someone can scoop up in a jar.

The head comes first I believe. Or at least I think I remember Red Cloak having to haul it around last time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Given that he has Still Spell, he can probably cast spells as soon as he's got enough matter regenerated to think, so it's unlikely that he'd be out of commission in any serious way any longer than it took for his head to pop.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
I'd say he can't use any abilities until his 1d10 days are up, since last time he regenerated he was much more polite and interested in what Redcloak had to say.

Dookie-In-The-Pants
May 7, 2008

You don't have to tell me
this is a bad joke.....
you CAN just ignore it.
I think it's a nice detail that Redcloak's right eye in the statue took a bounce from the phylactery so soon after his real eye was stabbed out by O-Chul.

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't tell you I have an obsession with destruction. I've made explosives before for everyday use, I will level city blocks just for the thrill.
New Comic!

I'm not really into DnD, do you guys know if this narrows down the MitD's species?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

No idea; but, Xykon had his hand rammed down O-Chul's throat for that wicked burning action. Hardcore.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

terminal mehmet posted:

No idea; but, Xykon had his hand rammed down O-Chul's throat for that wicked burning action. Hardcore.

Not just that, but it looks like he jammed his finger into V's eye. Hard to tell if he meant that or not.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Idran posted:

Not just that, but it looks like he jammed his finger into V's eye. Hard to tell if he meant that or not.

Looks like his nose.

Also: Baby Tarrasques can't do that, can they?

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Kuroshi posted:

Looks like his nose.

Tarrasques are pretty much raw physical fightery types. They can't do anything magical.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
A Meteor Swarm down the throat would sting like gently caress.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I laughed harder than I should've at "Who just stole my kills?".

And yes, NM, it does narrow down the MitD's species. Rich has said it's a real DnD monster. Judging by the way this went down, I'd say it's likely that the monster used either Wish, Miracle, Limited Wish or Teleport. I don't think you can cast Teleport as a spell straight-up without teleporting yourself, too, so I'm leaning toward one of the Wishes or Miracle. Do any creatures cast Wish as a spell or spell-like ability? I'm not so good on the monsters; I tend to read more than I play, now-a-days.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
More importantly, he seems to have teleported them even with the cloister effect. Psionics, maybe? Or maybe they haven't actually crossed out of the cloistered zone.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LightWarden posted:

More importantly, he seems to have teleported them even with the cloister effect. Psionics, maybe? Or maybe they haven't actually crossed out of the cloistered zone.

Can't Wish or Miracle ignore even epic-level magic? I was under the impression that they were basically giant "Get out of poo poo free" cards for any party with a wizard/cleric in it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Um, wow. All Teleport spells are Touch, so that's either a Wish spell, or one of a number of psionic powers.

There are a bunch of epic spellcaster/psion monsters in the SRD alone, but none of them seem like a fit. I have no idea.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Neito posted:

I don't think you can cast Teleport as a spell straight-up without teleporting yourself, too

In any case, it's a Touch spell, and that applies to all other "teleporty" spells too, like Greater Teleport, Ethereal Jaunt, Plane Shift, etc.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Some kind of Djinni?

VV Atropal Scion? Dunno if they can do that, though they have spellcasting ability. Strong stuff.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 10, 2009

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kuroshi posted:

Looks like his nose.

Tarresques can't even speak.

Earlier in the thread people were speculating that the MitD was some sort of undead God fetus. Was that ever ruled out?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

Some kind of Djinni?

That doesn't really fit with what we've seen so far, though. Djinni tend to be tricksters, don't they?

Plus, a Djinni only seems to be able to use its wish-granting power for someone who captures it. At least from how I'm reading the rules regarding them.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Efreet? Wish-ability, odd to find in a jungle. Of course, isn't part of the requirement that it usually doesn't speak?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Neito posted:

dO any creatures cast Wish as a spell or spell-like ability?

A few. Genies spring to mind, obviously, as do a number of the high-end outsiders. Off the top of my head, Solars can cast it three times a day. Solar seems wrong for the MitD, though.

Neito posted:

Can't Wish or Miracle ignore even epic-level magic? I was under the impression that they were basically giant "Get out of poo poo free" cards for any party with a wizard/cleric in it.

Nope. Wish and Miracle are wildly, wildly flexible, but not overwhelmingly powerful--basically, they cap out at roughly the level of effect of any level seven spell, or any of a short list of bonus effects that aren't worth the five thousand exp the spell costs. They certainly aren't epic, or even close to it. I remember on the character optimization boards someone made a character who's gimmick was that he could cast Wish at will, any number of times--it as regarded as a fairly weak build in straight up combat, because the saves topped out at DC 23, and couldn't duplicate any of the real soul-crushing spells (like Xykon's favorite, Energy Drain). The Wish could gently caress around out of combat to an unparalled degree.

Cliff Racer posted:

Earlier in the thread people were speculating that the MitD was some sort of undead God fetus. Was that ever ruled out?

An Atropol? Reality isn't warping around it, draining the lives out of any foolish enough to venture near and turning the corpses of its victims into unstoppable undead juggernauts of slaughter. Also, whatever it is, it gets hungry, so it isn't an abomination against life. Sooo---probably not.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 10, 2009

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mortanis posted:

Of course, isn't part of the requirement that it usually doesn't speak?

Yeah. Several people have said that the MitD speaking was stated to be unusual in Start of Darkness, a book I unfortunately don't have.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nope. Wish and Miracle are wildly, wildly flexible, but not overwhelmingly powerful--basically, they cap out at roughly the level of effect of any level seven spell, or any of a short list of bonus effects that aren't worth the five thousand exp the spell costs. They certainly aren't epic, or even close to it.

I see. I actually haven't read too much in to alternate rules like Epic-level magic, so I was under the impression that they could do pretty much anything.

I'd still say that a Wish is the most likely of spells. However, psionics have been established as working in this universe, and IIRC they're not effected by magic that much, but see previous statement about alternate rules.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

I'd still say that a Wish is the most likely of spells. However, psionics have been established as working in this universe, and IIRC they're not effected by magic that much, but see previous statement about alternate rules.

Actually the main rule is they are - anything that effects magic effects psionics equally and vice versa. I'd assume that's how this world works unless we've seen evidence otherwise. The alternate rule is that the two are distinct except for a few specific exceptions.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Idran posted:

Actually the main rule is they are - anything that effects magic effects psionics equally and vice versa. I'd assume that's how this world works unless we've seen evidence otherwise. The alternate rule is that the two are distinct except for a few specific exceptions.

:suicide: this is what I get for half-remembering psionics rules I read once.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
MitD has also used something like a souped up version of the psionic power stomp (or an earthquake supernatural ability that just happens to be triggered by stomping the ground); I don't know if that helps since my SRD searches aren't turning up likely monsters with stomp or earthquake powers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's possible that the exchange in the first panel of this strip just took on some new significance...

LightWarden posted:

Isn't cloister irrelevant when you're doing things from the inside? Here, panel 5. You can cast magical transportation from inside to outside.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 10, 2009

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I imagine Burlew hitting the upload button on his FTP client and laughing at the impending speculation.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

MikeJF posted:

It's possible that the exchange in the first panel of this strip just took on some new significance...

"I don't get why you're all so certain this was the MitD's doing." Was what I was going to say until I reread that strip.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Ashenai posted:

Um, wow. All Teleport spells are Touch, so that's either a Wish spell, or one of a number of psionic powers.

There are a bunch of epic spellcaster/psion monsters in the SRD alone, but none of them seem like a fit. I have no idea.

I'd just look for anything with the spell like ability for wishes or miracles, as size or form of creatures can be changed relatively easily. Ditto about psionics, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Noia posted:

"I don't get why you're all so certain this was the MitD's doing." Was what I was going to say until I reread that strip.

...did you not notice the change in eye glow and the capitalization on 'escape'?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Pope Guilty posted:

I imagine Burlew hitting the upload button on his FTP client and laughing at the impending speculation.

Strip #662: "I wouldn't have expected that behavior from a monster whose name is a strict subset of the first three words in 'Hamlet'!"

If I were Burlew, I'd have so much trouble resisting the urge to just gently caress with people.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
This certainly improves the chances of it being a Solar.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ashenai posted:

This is really puzzling me. The combination of low intelligence and powerful psionics/spell-like abilities is odd enough, but on top of that it has obscene physical strength and damage reduction (it punched Miko straight through a solid stone wall without even trying).

Maybe it's a tarrasque using a soul splice to a powerful psion? :hurr:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

DoctorTristan posted:

This is really puzzling me. The combination of low intelligence and powerful psionics/spell-like abilities is odd enough, but on top of that it has obscene physical strength and damage reduction (it punched Miko straight through a solid stone wall without even trying).

I'm not convinced it actually has great physical strength. The incident with Miko could have easily been some sort of psychokinetic blast, for example.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Low intellect doesn't necessarily equate to inferior psionic manifesting; Wilders manifest by Charisma, and Psychic Warriors by Wisdom. If he manifests like either of those, and I'd guess Wilder out of the two, he could be dumb as a brick and still be a decent manifester.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't forget that it may not have low intelligence, it may just be phenomenally naive, the result of being kept in a cage its whole life. It picked up Go "very quickly", which is a game known for strategic thinking, and the little time it has spent with O-chul has greatly increased its awareness of the consequences of actions.

I really hope this results in O-chul joining the Order of the Stick. He's a cool guy, I want him to stick around, and he could pursue his goals by staying with them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Having a competent, non-insane Paladin would be a nice counter balance to Belkar's new competent, rational evilness.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
O-Chul has goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cabbit posted:

Having a competent, non-insane Paladin would be a nice counter balance to Belkar's new competent, rational evilness.

He would lose his paladinhood, wouldn't he? I mean, the whole "willfully consorting with evil beings" thing.
Granted, Miko could never scan Belkar to verify if he was evil, but she wasn't consorting with him as much as she was dragging him around like a prisoner.

If anything, O-chul could probably rationalize it as "if I don't consort with this evil being then all of reality will be literally unraveled". Maybe the Twelve Gods are lenient like that.