Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

If I had actual polaroids, I wouldn't be having these issues! And if I had a camera, I'd shoot it all practically. No time to rent one, either -- the challenge here is I'm trying to do all this without any actual reference.

But! Knowing the paper needs work does help, I'll get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I have a polaroid here, I'll put up a scan in a minute.

edit: Front and back, download here: https://www.yfinder.de/polaroid.png

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 6, 2009

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Travakian posted:

If I had actual polaroids, I wouldn't be having these issues! And if I had a camera, I'd shoot it all practically. No time to rent one, either -- the challenge here is I'm trying to do all this without any actual reference.

But! Knowing the paper needs work does help, I'll get on that.

You do realize that nobody ever does work that's supposed to be photorealistic without reference, right? That's a fool's errand.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ErIog posted:

You do realize that nobody ever does work that's supposed to be photorealistic without reference, right? That's a fool's errand.

I know; it's a pipe dream. It was going to be pure 2.5d, but the entire project changed at the last minute, leaving me, for lack of a better word, hosed.

They understand it won't be perfect, but I had might as well get it as good as I can.

wayfinder posted:

I have a polaroid here, I'll put up a scan in a minute.

Thanks a tonne, mate. Nabbed the texture, using that instead.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

ErIog posted:

As unfortunate as it is, it's true. I love drawing stuff from memory because it's much more freeform than being restricted to reference. However, use enough reference for specific things and eventually you may not need to.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Here's the current version of it. I understand the whole 'you can't make something look real without looking at something real first' bit -- but looking at this image, can anyone give any constructive criticism?

I know the shadow between the top one and the lower seems to be awkward -- it's actually floating above it. This is a still from a sequence in which they're falling.

Edit: Looking at it, it looks as if the UVs on the paper are messed up. Texture seems stretched in some places, normal in others. Huh.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
In the photo of the real polaroid you can see the pattern isn't a bunch of random lines, it's kind of like a thin cardboard that has a repeating tiny diamond shaped pattern. Looking at polaroids in real life it looks as if it's just grainy/has a noise bump on it.

Also, the table specular needs to be softened and brought back a bit

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Everything seems too shiny & bumpy too. Those at such extremes just scream "CG".

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The VFX studio I work at in Vancouver has an OK OT policy.

I'm contracted on a 8-10 hour day. Anything more than that its time and a half per hour. And any weekend hours are time and a half.

They also try to avoid insane crunches as much as possible. On my current project we have been on a crunch for the last 6 weeks of a 12 month show. So not too bad at all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone help me with V-ray? I worked out how to make a screen and have an emissive material, but now I can't seem to make it fit how I want. When 'tile' is enabled, everything is far too big and it looks retarded. When I disable tile, which I assumed would make it work, nothing is visible. The surface becomes black.
Any help would be massively appreciated as I need to hand it in soon. It started off so well too :(

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
After not touching a 3d program since january I'm starting to pull out of my Slump. I was severely burned out with my job and with 3d. But I'm fired up again and ready to make stuff.

I just started using Z-Brush on Wednesday. And after hearing about Telltales new Monkey Island games I had to do a Lechuck. Well, my version of LeChuck anyways.

Pretty cool program! I wish I used it much sooner. I still have a ton to figure out though, five days isn't enough to get it all worked out.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Well, my version of LeChuck anyways.

This is just so much better than their loving poo poo 3D efforts will ever be.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

Can anyone help me with V-ray? I worked out how to make a screen and have an emissive material, but now I can't seem to make it fit how I want. When 'tile' is enabled, everything is far too big and it looks retarded. When I disable tile, which I assumed would make it work, nothing is visible. The surface becomes black.
Any help would be massively appreciated as I need to hand it in soon. It started off so well too :(

Has nothing to do with Vray, what you need my friend is UVW mapping. Just apply it from the modifier list, if it doesnt look right, click "fit" in the modifier panel of the UVW modifier.

SGT. Squeaks posted:

<lechuck>

That does not only look brilliant, but also very nice and good.

International Log fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 8, 2009

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

International Log posted:

Has nothing to do with Vray, what you need my friend is UVW mapping. Just apply it from the modifier list, if it doesnt look right, click "fit" in the modifier panel of the UVW modifier.

Hmmm, in the UVW mapping box all I have is repeat, offset and rotation.
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place like a moron :(
I'm using rhino by the way.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

Hmmm, in the UVW mapping box all I have is repeat, offset and rotation.
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place like a moron :(
I'm using rhino by the way.

Oh. Rhino. :raise:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
UV mapping in rhino sucks dick. However it's been about 3 years since I used it, so I cant even remember how it works (only that it doesnt work well)

The forest/lakeside animation is rendered!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looHo8econg
Still processing so the quality is a bit sketchy. Also didnt turn out anywhere near as good as I wanted it but for a couple of days work it's all I could do. :(

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2009

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

International Log posted:

Oh. Rhino. :raise:

Hooray it is fixed!
For some reason, if you cut a large surface into smaller surfaces, rhino remembers the large one and puts the texture across that as well. So you'll only see part of it, but it's taking into account the part that you have made into something else.
Seems sorta a stupid system and I can't really see the point but at least it's sorted now.
Here is a basic progress picture:

Click here for the full 1222x805 image.

cubicle gangster posted:

The forest/lakeside animation is rendered!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looHo8econg
Still processing so the quality is a bit sketchy. Also didnt turn out anywhere near as good as I wanted it but for a couple of days work it's all I could do. :(

drat, this is amazing. When it's zoomed almost fully out it looks basically real.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

I never follow up on this thread as much as I should, but I have a question for you guys.

I work for a city government and the city wide policy is to not buy subscriptions for software. Up until this point, we've been using 3DS Max with Vray and we were just forced to upgrade to 2010 when 2008 stopped working and needed to be re-installed because our license apparently expires after 1 year. Needless to say, my boss is not very happy about Autodesk's policy and has asked me to look into alternative software for the future because as a municipality we really can't afford to upgrade every year and a subscription is almost the same cost as an upgrade.

I'm primarily a Maya user but I suspect that since they're an Autodesk product as well, they probably have the same policy on licenses. I was going to look into Cinema 4d, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest other programs to research.

We primarily use Max for virtual set designs. Occasionally special products will require 3D, but usually not more than twice a year. Sets are only created for new shows and for redesigns every couple of years, although I do have to troubleshoot and tweak occasionally. I haven't had a reason to do character animation since working here (which is probably good because Max's animation controls are way different than Maya's) Any suggestions?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Working on something through zbrush, should I stop what i'm doing, go to a lower level of subdivisions, export in max, redo the topology as I think might be better, than bring back in zbrush, do the face and details and then do the mapping in max again?

I've got workflow issues as this is pretty much the first time I try doing something of ''worth'' with zbrush

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^^
I think you are looking for something like THIS

(watch the video)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Working on something through zbrush, should I stop what i'm doing, go to a lower level of subdivisions, export in max, redo the topology as I think might be better, than bring back in zbrush, do the face and details and then do the mapping in max again?

I've got workflow issues as this is pretty much the first time I try doing something of ''worth'' with zbrush

I think first I need to figure out what you're trying to make. Right now it doesn't look like you've sculpted much detail at all.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Make the big changes in the lower subdivision levels, then go to the higher to add the detail. It looks like your in too high of a level. I go to the lower levels and use the move tool to get things just the way I want it. Then a higher level and use the clay tool to add and remove form, then I use the standard brush with a brush modifier of 30 to add sharper edges. I've been using it about a week so I still have lots to figure out, but so far that seems to work pretty well.

Just finished this up today! I posted a version of this model a long time ago. It was a smoother polygon version I made in XSI. I just had to see what I could do with Z-Brush, and here it is!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
A simple cartoony character, in the likes of earthworm Jim, There aren't much details yet because I don't know if I should make a good topology before making more details or not. when should I make the eye orbits? and so on.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Use the smooth tool a lot. That will relax the topology and make it more even. Sometimes I sculpt things 2 or 3 times before it's final. Constant sculpting, smoothing, sculpting, smoothing, etc. I always add the dimples for the eye sockets early on. And as you progress the model progress those.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

chellesandcheese posted:

Any suggestions?

'Sup fellow city government worker. I've been using Lightwave for all of my 3d stuff at work. It's worked out pretty well. They don't force upgrades on you, and your software comes with a usb dongle. From the way I understand it you can install it on any number of computers, but then just use the dongles to actually run the programs. That way it's like a book, only one person can read at a time.

My computer & software came from a special non-renewing fund that was provided when they created my position and I got hired on, so there is nothing in the budget for upgrades as of yet.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Another quickie! I'm trying to use Z-Brush at least once a day. Here is something I cooked up today. It's kind of 'Shadowesque'. But I wasn't really thinking about the shadow when I made it.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Hinchu posted:

'Sup fellow city government worker. I've been using Lightwave for all of my 3d stuff at work. It's worked out pretty well. They don't force upgrades on you, and your software comes with a usb dongle. From the way I understand it you can install it on any number of computers, but then just use the dongles to actually run the programs. That way it's like a book, only one person can read at a time.

My computer & software came from a special non-renewing fund that was provided when they created my position and I got hired on, so there is nothing in the budget for upgrades as of yet.

Yeah, I thought about looking into Lightwave as well. I used it for one semester in community college 6 or 7 years ago, before transfering to SCAD and I honestly don't remember much about it except I remember thinking Maya's interface was much easier to get used to. Oh and that it had seperate modeling and animation programs. I'll check it out as well. Thanks!

I've been pretty lucky here because we're incredibly well funded. We've got 4 full-time videographers/editors, a full time photographer, myself, a three person web team, and several content/writing and support people. Cable franchises pay for camera upgrades every few years, but software has to be budgeted. Everyone just got upgraded to their respective CS4 (design premium or production premium) and I got Max 2010 but with the economy being what it is, we have no budget for upgrades next fiscal year and probably not much for the year after that. And we certainly can't afford to keep dropping $2600 every year for a Max upgrade. As it is, I'm going to have to keep my fingers crossed that Max 2010 doesn't break on me after a year and a half like 2008 did. As long as we don't need to re-install it, we can keep using it.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If all you're doing is modeling and rendering I'd say give Modo a shot. I think a new version, 401, or something is coming out soon and it looks pretty impressive. I hear pretty good things about it being an efficient modeler too, but I haven't tried it yet.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A lot of people have switched over to modo for modelling. I've never used it but a lot of people have been impressed by it an switched all their modelling tasks to it

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The one major downfall apparently is it's all destructive modeling. There's no layers/modifier stacks/etc to go back to if need be.

I'm not usually using those anyways, as I haven't really dived into non-organic subd modeling yet.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

chellesandcheese posted:

Yeah, I thought about looking into Lightwave as well.

The interface is kind of quirky. I think the default setup is awkward. I really like the way I have my workflow set up on it. I've tweaked it a whole lot since I've been using it.

Basically I have 4 levels of accessing tools in Lightwave that works pretty will. I have a bunch of buttons on my mouse that I've programmed to do different common things, like select geometry, expand/shrink selections, select loops, hide/show geometry, and a few others. I have actually stacked different tools on the buttons by holding different modifiers down to do different things. After a bit of modeling it becomes very natural.

I then set up my shortcuts. The basic changes I made were to set my selection modes (point, polygon, edge) to the z x c buttons. That way it's all in reach. Then I just reassign all of my most commonly used tools from there.

The next level is I hijack the ctrl-shift menus. If you ctrl-shift click anywhere it pulls up a special menu that you can change the items on. I have a bunch of commonly accessed things there, like saving, loading models, action center modes, and specialized selection tools, so I don't have to go digging in menus.

Then I reorganized the menu so that each one is more pertinent to a specific task, duplicating some menu items. That might sound like a lot but it makes for a fairly rapid developing environment in my experience.

The biggest drawbacks with Lightwave I think are that some of the more standard features of other apps are only newly implemented. Edges aren't supported by all of the tools (although you can get around it by converting selections to points), and nodes are new to textures now. It's still a pretty solid app though, and can get the job done. I just love how much you can customize everything to your liking.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Ahhhh internet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QBP3QBNv4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My that certainly is something.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Holy poo poo that is amazing hahaha.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

HAHA!! I wonder if he had to present that to his digital sculpture class. That is something else.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
He's adorable!!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I can not unsee that facial expression...

It reminds me of one of the fist modeling projects I had to do at VFS a few years back. It was modeling a unicorn. One guy in my class decided that rather than a traditional horn he would put a huge cock on his unicorn's head. I'll have to try and see if I have images floating around somewhere.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would pay good money to see the face of whoever he sends his demo reel to.

gently caress, I hope that is his demo reel - just sends out that animation and an a3 glossy print of it.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Holy poo poo I took that same course from the same goddamn university. I'm still on the prof's e-mail list and get sent something occasionally. I kid you not, everyone smoked hash in the halls on breaks in between and before class. It was the weirdest course ever.

...That seems about right too.

I made an A in the course even though I only went to about a 1 in 10 classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Heintje posted:

Ahhhh internet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QBP3QBNv4

The best part is that it feels more professional than lots of other animation reels I've seen.