Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
luv deze boyz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Any good downloadable OS X clients to connect to KGS? The java applet only goes so far.

edit: I am dootdoot on KGS by the way

Plastic Snake fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

As a fellow mac user (we seem to be few in this group) I haven't found one. Also my java app is all crazy and if I get the newest one it won't work and gives me a java script error saying it's missing the .jnlp file (I really need to try to fix this). I don't know where I got it but I have some old .jar file that works though.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think there are any other clients for KGS unfortunately, I think the guys that run it don't like the idea of other clients connecting to their servers so they keep the protocol secret.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
KGS only has the proprietary client, one of the draws of IGS is that you can pick from several clients

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Any advice on some books to get? KGS thinks I'm 13k at the moment. I'm looking at the books sold by The London Chess Centre (ukgamesshop.com) and considering
  • The Best Play - Feng Yun
  • Tesuji
  • Attack and Defence
  • Graded Go Problems 3/4
  • Get Strong at Joseki/Invading
but I can't decide which to get, and I probably shouldn't buy everything I'm vaguely interested in.

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Any advice on some books to get? KGS thinks I'm 13k at the moment. I'm looking at the books sold by The London Chess Centre (ukgamesshop.com) and considering
  • Tesuji
  • Attack and Defence
  • Graded Go Problems 3/4
but I can't decide which to get, and I probably shouldn't buy everything I'm vaguely interested in.

Talk about irony, I actually visited that shop not too long ago when I visited London.

Which book to get is hard to say though: Attack and Defense is often quite highly praised, but doing various types of problems is the fastest way to improve your ranking. If you're just interested in improving your ranking the graded go problems or tesuji will probably help the most.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Attack and defense is really good and you'll keep coming back to it. The Get Strong series are supposed to be pretty decent but I haven't read them.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

• Tesuji
  • Attack and Defence
  • Graded Go Problems 3/4

I'm 11k and I own Tetsuji and Attack and Defense (though I haven't finished either D: but I can suggest owning both from what I have read).

I recently got one of the Get Strong books and was kind of surprised it's mainly a problem book and not a theory book.

Jennifer is right that solving problems will help you improve, specially your reading. But I'd suggest buying theory books now and doing the test sets on goproblems for free.

The book I would suggest that you don't have listed is Opening Theory Made Easy by Hideo Otake. It's a great read about Fuseki, but in the process it really explains the basics of good shape, thickness, and principles used in Attack and Defense (which I now understand better than I did before).

Rolfus
Jan 14, 2008
Ah, go! A few years ago I shared an apartment with this dude that had a go whatsitcalled with wooden bowls and glass stones -the works! I hadn't heard of go at that time, but he persuaded me into playing a game, and I think I was so confused by the end of it that I'm still suffering from the effects, my brain may never recover :( This may be why I'm reluctant to getting into it again even though this thread has tempted me into reading about go and playing against bots on a 9x9. Still at the beginning stage of the random stone-placement level.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Well it turns out I'm really bad at taking my time to decide so I ordered books already, I got Tesuji as a textbook and the Life and Death and Tesuji problem books from the Mastering the Basics series - 1001 and 501 problems respectively.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Rolfus posted:

dude that had a go whatsitcalled with wooden bowls and glass stones

"Board" is the technical term

If you have a few people around to tell you what to focus on at the very start you progress past the stage of utter confusion real quick - stop on by ITGO sometime, we love new fish friends

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Well it turns out I'm really bad at taking my time to decide so I ordered books already, I got Tesuji as a textbook and the Life and Death and Tesuji problem books from the Mastering the Basics series - 1001 and 501 problems respectively.

'Tesuji' and 'Attack and Defense' are kings of books, they tell you a bunch of stuff that would otherwise take forfuckingever to figure out otherwise

'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go' is a good book to keep you from quitting, which is another common malady in new players.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

'Tesuji' and 'Attack and Defense' are kings of books, they tell you a bunch of stuff that would otherwise take forfuckingever to figure out otherwise

'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go' is a good book to keep you from quitting, which is another common malady in new players.

Hels, what is 'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go'? I've never heard of it before just now. Is it about real basic stuff that people mess up? Because I could use that, I'm sure. Tell me your secrets.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

Hels, what is 'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go'? I've never heard of it before just now. Is it about real basic stuff that people mess up? Because I could use that, I'm sure. Tell me your secrets.

http://www.kiseido.com/Begin2.htm#K28

"This book explains the fundamentals of go that every beginning player should study. It covers connectivity, good and bad shape, the way stones should `move', the difference between territory and spheres of influence, how to use thickness and walls, how to train yourself to read out variations, where to start looking in a life-and-death problem, and the right way to study josekis."

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

I wanted a usable description of the book. Like, if it was a good read. I looked it up on Sensei's Library/amazon, thank you very much.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Found this review on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BE5F2CEEC0407B08

I found it helpful. The guy explains things clearly, simply, and, most importantly for me, doesn't go a mile a minute.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pillow Face posted:

Found this review on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BE5F2CEEC0407B08

I found it helpful. The guy explains things clearly, simply, and, most importantly for me, doesn't go a mile a minute.

Very interesting. I know in a theoretical way that destroying aji is bad, but it's probably a big leak of mine. I think I'll try to see stuff like that in the future.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Lessons in Fundamentals is basically a course syllabus of how to play go, and it's a lot lighter reading than most of the literature out there. The main virtue of it is that it's one of the only books a >15k can make any sense of, but it's a good read at whatever rank.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

So would I be the gayest motherfucker in the world if I got a go avatar for SA? :3:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

So would I be the gayest motherfucker in the world if I got a go avatar for SA? :3:

Depends on the avatar. Post some test pics.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

Get a black and white picture of Go Seigen or Kitani or someone then post in D&D as though he were a famous politician

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Get a black and white picture of Go Seigen or Kitani or someone then post in D&D as though he were a famous politician

Sepia

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
are there any famous black go players

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

are there any famous black go players

They always seem to lose by about 6.5 points :(

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

http://gosensations.com/index.php?id=2&new_id=522&rand=980#comments

I think this is the first article on here where Hutoshi isn't getting his poo poo pushed in. My heart grew three sizes watching black mete out stern punishment upon that 9 dan.

In other news, congratulations to Logite in his title match vs. Yagumo 8-dan. Logite didn't win, but he did succeed in sending about a hundred observers into seizures with his unique style.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I was roundly mocked for mentioning Dragon Go Server on KGS last night but I thought I'd post a link here anyway for anyone that doesn't know about it.
It's kind of like playing a game by email, in that you have months to finish a game if you want to, but my games so far have taken at most two weeks. I like it because I can make a move every once in a while when I'm at work, and be playing a bunch of games at once.

Edit: Also I have a shiny internet phone and DGS works really well on its browser.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Bizarro Buddha posted:

I was roundly mocked for mentioning Dragon Go Server on KGS last night but I thought I'd post a link here anyway for anyone that doesn't know about it.
It's kind of like playing a game by email, in that you have months to finish a game if you want to, but my games so far have taken at most two weeks. I like it because I can make a move every once in a while when I'm at work, and be playing a bunch of games at once.

Edit: Also I have a shiny internet phone and DGS works really well on its browser.

I signed up for it ;p Gimme a shout when you want to start a game.

Under 15 posted:

In other news, congratulations to Logite in his title match vs. Yagumo 8-dan. Logite didn't win, but he did succeed in sending about a hundred observers into seizures with his unique style.

Haha. That's just awesome.

Mez fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 15, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

It seems like it would be kind of stange as a high kyu to play on a site like that. You can improve dramatically in a week when you're learning early on so your game would really change over that time. Sounds interesting... however I'm currntly stuck where I am and don't even have time play and learn...which I guess means this site would be good for me...

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
mez I sent you an invite on DGS, you should accept it

Mez
Jun 23, 2008
DGS makes me giggle: "90 days + 1 day per move and 10 extra periods"

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

what is the point of playing a game over a month's time if you are a tiny baby and can't read more than about one or two moves ahead

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I can sometimes read further ahead than that :shobon:

The main reason I play on DGS is that I can play at work, personally.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Where do you play in Philly? Also, your 7d is really suspect in my mind. I've met him before, he used to take lessons from Feng Yun (might still) but last time I had played him he was 1d-3d or so. Granted this was a few years ago, but he never plays and says he burned out on go but claims to be a 7d.

There's the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is located near the intersction of Cheltenham Ave. and 5th. It actually moved and is now located in the basement of a building a few doors down, but it's a really strong club. All older Korean guys who don't speak English well, but it's fun because you don't really need to be able to communicate besides your rank.

I work in Blue Bell and live in Doylestown near to Jon the "7d" (although don't repeat any of what I've written here because he'd know who I am). I doubt I could do your lunch thing because it would be next to impossible to make it down to Philly, play a game, and get back to work on my hour lunch break.

I play on KGS as Scatter, I'm probably 1d-2d or so.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was getting into go a year or two ago and then I sorta fell out of it when I didn't have anyone to play with in person and online matches were taking too long. No classes now though, so I may have to check this SA KGS club out!

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Kenning posted:

I was getting into go a year or two ago and then I sorta fell out of it when I didn't have anyone to play with in person and online matches were taking too long. No classes now though, so I may have to check this SA KGS club out!

Just start your own games, I usually play with 15-20 minute clocks so games never last more than an hour.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon posted:

Where do you play in Philly? Also, your 7d is really suspect in my mind. I've met him before, he used to take lessons from Feng Yun (might still) but last time I had played him he was 1d-3d or so. Granted this was a few years ago, but he never plays and says he burned out on go but claims to be a 7d.
I work in Blue Bell and live in Doylestown near to Jon the "7d" (although don't repeat any of what I've written here because he'd know who I am). I doubt I could do your lunch thing because it would be next to impossible to make it down to Philly, play a game, and get back to work on my hour lunch break.

Ah, yes. This sounds like him. Although, he did mention he's gained a couple levels within the past couple of years, but that would only put him at 3-5d at best. I don't know him that well, so I'm not able to judge either way, although it was suspicious that I beat him in a 13x13. He made me pay for it dearly later in a 19x19, though. He's kind of a weird dude, yeah? Very, um, ADTRW.

My buddies and I play either at Starbucks, JFK Plaza, or the Comcast food court, depending on the day. We've been meaning to have a go happy hour after work. It would be neat if we had one that the three of us (me, you, qxan) could all play at. My crew is not very good, low double-digit kyu on a good day, but we're good company, and maybe you and qxan might pair up well?

quote:

There's the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is located near the intersction of Cheltenham Ave. and 5th. It actually moved and is now located in the basement of a building a few doors down, but it's a really strong club. All older Korean guys who don't speak English well, but it's fun because you don't really need to be able to communicate besides your rank.

Thanks for the info on the club. It's pretty much too far for me to get to, but I might check it out one day. Do you have any info on when they meet or if they have some sort of contact/website/newsletter?

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 19, 2009

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If I'm able ever to make it down to Philly during the week for lunch I'll definitely try. I don't see it being possible because I get an hour lunch break and I work an inside sales job at a software company in Norristown, but who knows?

If you ever organize an after work thing I can definitely try. I get off at 5 but driving into the city in rush hour would be miserable and I'd probably miss the meeting anyway.

The Philadelphia Baduk Association website is here. It has the updated address. The club is more of a community hang out, the area has a large Korean population and it's open everyday from 2pm-11pm or so. People don't actually show up until after work though because, well, they're at work.

Yeah, the kid is a little off. His other name on KGS used to be Kakashisan so ADTRW all the way (granted I enjoy me some animes too). What's he doing down in Philly? Working for the law firm his parents work for?

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon posted:

If you ever organize an after work thing I can definitely try. I get off at 5 but driving into the city in rush hour would be miserable and I'd probably miss the meeting anyway.

The Philadelphia Baduk Association website is here. It has the updated address. The club is more of a community hang out, the area has a large Korean population and it's open everyday from 2pm-11pm or so. People don't actually show up until after work though because, well, they're at work.

Yeah, the kid is a little off. His other name on KGS used to be Kakashisan so ADTRW all the way (granted I enjoy me some animes too). What's he doing down in Philly? Working for the law firm his parents work for?

Oh, right, I forgot about rush hour. Oh well. Thanks for the PBA info. I just looked at the site. The location makes it look like some sort of underground gambling ring or some poo poo, haha.

What the guy does for a living is a complete mystery to me. I didn't even know that his parents work at a law firm. He said that he didn't have a real job, that he gives lessons, is writing a book on Go, and is going to art school to draw anime or something. Although, I'm not particularly inclined to believe any of it at this point. The relationship actually got a little weird recently when we offered to buy him lunch in exchange for the go help he's been giving, and he asked instead for money. I don't know, all this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, me and my buddies might just mysteriously get very busy during lunchtimes.

I enjoy the accasional anime, too, but there's certainly a difference between people who enjoy some anime and people who are ADTRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Lyon posted:

Oh hey, I'm also from Philly and had no idea we had a Go club. I'll have to check this out sometime.