Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

breaks posted:

Ableton Live is great for variations on a theme of DJing clips, but doesn't really do much interesting otherwise. That may well change with the whole Live+Apc40+Max platform, but that battlestation is not yet fully armed and operational.
I respectfully disagree with you. There's a new device in Live 8 called "Looper" that, quite simply, rocks. Check out this video to see what it can do. I think that the Looper device does exactly what AndysADinosaur is looking for. : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Looper is nice and all but it doesn't really do anything that loopers haven't already been doing for a long time. That was pretty much my point; if you are not doing clip djing than Live doesn't do much for you that you can't get done just as well with something else. If you can deal with a bit of a learning curve you can just download Zone Mobius, which is free, there is no need to spend $450 on Ableton to do that. And the learning curve is not really there because it's more difficult, they are both trivial to use in basic operation once you map a pedal, it's just that the manual is poorly written.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Altoidss posted:

Quick derail from the slapfight but does anyone have any tips for beatmatching/timestretching samples and a capellas in Logic it's very frustrating

If I don't know the BPM of the sample in advance usually by the time I get it in time it's been warped enough to sound like poo poo

Cut a 4 bar loop from the sample and then have this section highlighted, then loop 4 bars in logic, doesnt matter which bpm. Then hit cmd+t and click globally. You have now changed logics BPM to that of the sample.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Clouds.mp3
Some weird halfstep, 150 bpm, slightly 8-bit thing I did.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/RIP%20%28Stranger%20Song%20Remix%29.mp3
Tried to remix an old Jungle tune into a dubstep thing, and just keep the breaks in it. Didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, and I'm not sure where to go from here, but I want to know what you guys think.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

breaks posted:

My advice for any live electronic setup is that you have a firm idea of exactly how you want to perform before making large purchases. Ableton Live is great for variations on a theme of DJing clips, but doesn't really do much interesting otherwise.

Live isn't the do-everything magic bullet that a lot of people make it out to be, but it's surprisingly deep in places. Especially since the addition of racks and chains, you can build some pretty complex and interesting things. You can set up chains to act as branching logical operators, in the form of "if the incoming MIDI note/velocity is in range X, then apply effect stack Y". I've seen people use this to build everything from custom filters, to racks which algorhythmically generate music from scratch (using the Random + Scale effects etc.)

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54296 is a pretty interesting thread; a bunch of the links are dead but there are still a lot of good ideas to be had. http://abletonlivedj.com also has a few cool things in the files section.

breaks posted:

Anyway; buy used/cheap/small and be prepared to resell and experiment until you have a clear vision of how you are going to operate, then that's the time to spend lots of money/effort making it happen.

That's pretty good advice although I was never any good at the "resell" part -- I'm a pack rat but that pays off from time to time.

But yeah, electronic music is a hugely broad field, and the fact that softsynths and DAWs have become so prevalent makes it easy to lose sight of that -- they're tremendously convenient and accessible, but remember the important thing is what sounds good and interesting, not what's "convenient" or "powerful".

h_double fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 5, 2009

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Greetings electro-goons. Can anyone point me in the direction of a free (or cheap) VST that does the whole dubby tape echo thing (where the loop kinda "degrades" and distorts as it repeats)? Or, is there some way of chaining together other effects to recreate this sort of sound (I'm using Cubase Studio 5).

Many thanks.

Also, whoever said earlier that Squarepusher is music for geeks to listen and smoke up to need to go see him live. Religious experience.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Don't forget that I use live 8 suite with vsts, the entire setup of my band. 3 keyboards, 2 rack-mount effects units, a 808 sampler, guitar and bass, and a vocoder switching between vocoding any thing in the band with my voice, plus midi foot pedals all around. With this and the ability to route anything as complex as any large console. I can have a board that cost three times more virtually, and with something like tracks3, waves, or urs suite I can simulate all the poo poo I want to live. For a fraction of the cost and no risk moving poo poo around and break fragile poo poo. No sound guy required.

poo poo I can ring modulate my whole band whenever I want.

How do you do this and setup in 15 min?

Live changed my idea of what I could do entirely.

Now I use D-beam to control harmonies of samples I create on the fly, while playing guitar and keyboards effortlessly.

Ableton isn't the magic bullet but it's pretty cool once you spend about 3 grand on poo poo after a computer in software, or just use the tons of free vsts around that are great.

What else does this exact thing?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

colonp posted:

ReaDelay does something like that (Resolution slider).

I put these in Steinberg/VSTPlugins with the others, and when I try to load it Cubase it just hangs the whole program and I have to kill it. :smith:

edit: Should probably have mentioned they don't seem to have proper names in the plugin dropdown in Cubase, just the names of the files with the .dll. Is there something else I have to do to install them?

edit #2: Huh, it "just worked" the second time. Sorry to bother you all.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 8, 2009

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

chippy posted:

Greetings electro-goons. Can anyone point me in the direction of a free (or cheap) VST that does the whole dubby tape echo thing (where the loop kinda "degrades" and distorts as it repeats)? Or, is there some way of chaining together other effects to recreate this sort of sound (I'm using Cubase Studio 5).
There are lots. Search kvraudio for free delay plugins and ctrl-f the results for "tape".

I really like WatKat, although it's a little gimmicky:

quote:

WatKat is a digital “clone” of a Wem Watkins “Custom” Copicat. It sounds very lo-fi, noisy, irregular. When you turn it off and leave the tape loaded, the tape bends in proximity of the capstan, and this turns into a periodic pitch fall during echo playback; plus, it gets hot and the background hum gets worse in time... you should turn it off every now and then; the tape is never completely erased, and the capstan motor flutters... and it gets worse if you touch it while it's spinning; heads tend to get dirty very soon, infact you should clean them often.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Dicky B posted:

There are lots. Search kvraudio for free delay plugins and ctrl-f the results for "tape".

I really like WatKat, although it's a little gimmicky:

Thanks for this looks awesome just downloaded, installing now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Gonna try a few of these out, thankyou muchly.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

chippy posted:

Buy this, it's only $40 and awesome: http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/product.php?pid=AD006

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Every time I launch Logic it asks me to locate all the sample files I'm using in Ultrabeat. It's really annoying. How do I fix this??

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

chippy posted:

Greetings electro-goons. Can anyone point me in the direction of a free (or cheap) VST that does the whole dubby tape echo thing (where the loop kinda "degrades" and distorts as it repeats)?

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml has a bunch of free dubby plugins you would probably enjoy checking out.

If you don't mind dropping a bit of cash, the OhmBoyz delay is just fantastic.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I love this thread. Thanks guys.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

A MIRACLE posted:

Every time I launch Logic it asks me to locate all the sample files I'm using in Ultrabeat. It's really annoying. How do I fix this??

Are they in the right place?

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
I made a new track last night

I'm pretty satisfied with it, but the vocals might be a little too repetitive... I dunno. Also the bass drum might be a bit loud so tell me what you think

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I ran your ice cream thru my pa. Kick drum sounds nice. Maybe a touch of a sin wave at 60hz or so depending on the songs key. Layered with the kick. I like the samples. Maybe play the samples during the mixing at the start when your build drums. I think a cut up of ice cream would be tight at the start. Like maybe set the sample off and catch the end of "cream" with a delay and tweak the feedback and time to get it squealing.

I like it. Really like the lead you got with a tad of portamento on it as well.

Sounds mixed decently to me better than most around here.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
edit: found a way aroudn it, oh well

remix of passion pit - sleepy head

mezzir fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 11, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm taking an electronic music class via my university in the fall, and until then I wanted to learn how the gently caress to use a controller.I put off getting a keyboard since they're more expensive and I'm going to get piano lessons eventually, so I might as well put it off until then.

I've decided I wanted to learn a drum control, since for the kind of music I'm interested that would be kind of vital. The thing I'm torn on right now is should I get a PadKontrol or a MDP 24? I have the MDP now, but I'm within the return period and still tempted. The PadKontrol seems like it would be more useful for instruments that aren't drums, but just from spending a few minutes in the Reason demo I can easily see how the knobs and sliders on the MDP would be amazingly useful, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

And does anyone know if a Kaoss Pad 3 can mimic a Kaossilator?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I've had the PadKontrol, and it doesn't feel as solid and the pads are stiffer and smaller than those on the MPD. The X-Y control pad is not a good replacement for sliders and knobs.

Reading http://www.korg.co.uk/products/dance_dj/kp3/dj_kp3.asp I deduce that the KP3 has some synth presets - but whether you can record them as sequences like on the Kaossilator, I don't know.

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin

Piuro posted:

And does anyone know if a Kaoss Pad 3 can mimic a Kaossilator?

It does have several synth patches; one axis controls the pitch (chromatic scale) and the other is some other parameter (cutoff, etc). It's pretty difficult to actually play anything with it (though you can control it with a MIDI keyboard I think), but you can either loop your pad motions with a button or sample the output to one of the 4 banks if you want to save or play over something.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them
Click here to listen to our hour1.mp3

A quick first take, from blank slate to this state over the course of the morning. Trying to get the synth bassline less muddy for the next 'take' but it was the first element, so I want to be gentle with it. Also, I think I'll likely lay off the 'touch' a bit more in future takes.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

evilocity posted:

Also, I think I'll likely lay off the 'touch' a bit more in future takes.

Yeah, that does get a little repetitive. Have you considered adding a second word/phrase? To add some variation, you could also cut the samples up at times, or do some other cheesy glitch stuff like tape stop and retrigger :)
The hi-hats sounded a little weird/out-of-time to me, as well. I enjoyed your track overall, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the oscillators/detune/filter settings for the lead in Insomnia?

I keep ending up with acid.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

Computer Jones posted:

Yeah, that does get a little repetitive. Have you considered adding a second word/phrase? To add some variation, you could also cut the samples up at times, or do some other cheesy glitch stuff like tape stop and retrigger :)
The hi-hats sounded a little weird/out-of-time to me, as well. I enjoyed your track overall, though.

Thanks a ton! didn't glitch up the samp because it seemed a bit too cheese, but I did add another clip and stopped leaning on the original clip so heavily. Also tightened up the synplant bass, played with the hats and added another drum crescendo.

Click here to listen to our hour3.mp3

evilocity fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 15, 2009

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Kai was taken posted:

That's a chorded pizzicato sample drenched in reverb. No oscillators necessary :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Kai was taken posted:

It's a pizzicato sample; resynthesizing it is not easy. See http://www.synthmania.com/jd-990.htm - "Pizza Hut". The basis seems to be a square/triangle wave with a short slapback delay and a chorus.

edit ^^^^^ damnit

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've got no new music, but just thought i'd give a heads up -

Audiomulch 2 is out! http://www.audiomulch.com/
It's a node based effects/synth program, basically. Max/msp with no programming and pre-made building blocks instead. I love it, it's pretty much essential for me.
It's got a 60 day unrestricted demo, so you may aswell give it a shot.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Oh hey, i might as well post this here, since audiomulch might be exactly what I'm looking for. What's a good program for live effecting/performance of prerecorded beats? I know, I know, Ableton, but I really don't need all the options Live offers, I just want a way to make playing backing tracks interesting, while playing live synth on top.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Volvagia posted:

Oh hey, i might as well post this here, since audiomulch might be exactly what I'm looking for. What's a good program for live effecting/performance of prerecorded beats? I know, I know, Ableton, but I really don't need all the options Live offers, I just want a way to make playing backing tracks interesting, while playing live synth on top.

um, ableton live? you can get it for free if you get lite or LE or whatever. theres really nothing else that plays backing tracks with efx as easily as live does.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Apparently someone hasnt heard of mainstage :smug:

Also you dont really need live for something that simple. I recently did a performance using logic pro with reaktor rewired in with only a korg nanokontrol and the inbuilt midi keyboard on logic. You could do similar things in any DAW you want.

edit: I realise I made that sound really complicated...

Stux fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 15, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Fog posted:

That's a chorded pizzicato sample drenched in reverb. No oscillators necessary :)

Luckily, I have such a thing. I thought it sounded like pizz strings, but for some reason I was thinking it was purely synthetic.

I'll hack it with a synth and see what I come up with, too.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

Apparently someone hasnt heard of mainstage :smug:

Also you dont really need live for something that simple. I recently did a performance using logic pro with reaktor rewired in with only a korg nanokontrol and the inbuilt midi keyboard on logic. You could do similar things in any DAW you want.

edit: I realise I made that sound really complicated...

i like how something that "simple" requires logic pro AND reactor, instead of just one (possibly)free program. if we're going for ease of use and cost im pretty sure live dominates in those areas.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oredun posted:

i like how something that "simple" requires logic pro AND reactor, instead of just one (possibly)free program. if we're going for ease of use and cost im pretty sure live dominates in those areas.

i only used reaktor because i needed vectory, otherwise it would be easily done with just logic, which is cheaper than live and also comes with mainstage which is a very good live tool, i prefer it to live and i think NIN use it as well.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I am in friggin love with Intua Beatmaker. Who knew an MPC simulator for an iPhone could be so fun?

I just wish I had it on the bus to NYC last weekend. :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I've got that, but only really used it on vacation, long flights and train rides and things. really fun though, wonder how long til we see live performances with iPhones...

actually, come to think of it, a guy I met in a bar makes music with his Nintendo DS, i have no idea what it controls/does, but I went one of his shows and he had like 2 midi keyboards, a mac, and his DS, and it looked like he was taking a break from the beats to play some nintendo, haha

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
Will need to check out that beatmaker but I have Bloom on my iPhone and it's awesome, I'll befinitely be using it for making some tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

RizieN posted:

I've got that, but only really used it on vacation, long flights and train rides and things. really fun though, wonder how long til we see live performances with iPhones...

Already happening. This dude rocked an iPhone at Wembley, and Jordan Rudess has been playing one live lately. Not to mention all of the folks using the various OSC controllers out there as Lemur-replacements. It's pretty wild.

RizieN posted:

actually, come to think of it, a guy I met in a bar makes music with his Nintendo DS, i have no idea what it controls/does, but I went one of his shows and he had like 2 midi keyboards, a mac, and his DS, and it looked like he was taking a break from the beats to play some nintendo, haha

Probably Nitrotraker or LSDJ. Though could be the Pixelh8 synth too, or one of a bajillion other things (Nanoloop etc). I'm really digging mobile production software at the moment.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 18, 2009

• Locked thread