Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
305 is out!

It looks like the merger of the ethereal and physical planes of existence, Berserk has completely switched gears from from "medieval story with vaguely demonic supernatural elements" to "hosed up fantasy"--I cracked up when that Hydra started eating those unicorns.

I mean I guess it's been on track to do that ever since lil' witch showed up, but still. Unicorns! There's no turning back now. Also, this probably explains why Griffith is afraid of mages---I can only imagine that this development is going to make Schierke (and eventually Farnese) a whole hell of a lot more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Awesome.
Miura has sure been making it easy for the translators recently. I wonder what the merge did to Guts there? Also will this mean that Guts' mark won't really have any effect now since all the demons etc are already in the physical plane? And how will this work with Schierke travelling to the astral plane whenever she uses magic?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Who were those people on the boat? I don't recall what part they played in the story...

Seriously though, nice to see Guts again finally. And June 26th! Keep it up Miura, please.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I've been reading this series off and on for the last 10 years. Over the last few months I've been slowly catching up on what I missed after my most recent near two year break. All caught up as of this week, and here I find today is the first day I have ever paid attention enough to read the news of a newly translated episode, the day of. I am pleased that my level of Berserk devotion has risen to new heights.

Oh, and I finally bought a Dreamcast just last week... for the Berserk game of course.

With this new world fantasy becomes reality turn of events, that elf island is most likely hosed now. I suppose there could be some magical barrier of sorts. An elf sanctuary residing in multiple planes of existence isn't too far of a stretch at this point, but I have a feeling that the end of the sea journey won't be pretty.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
2 chapters a month for 2 months in a row, it's madness :psyduck:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hot drat, I guess Miura's been catching up on his Greek mythology.

I don't care what it takes plot-wise, give me a Guts vs. Hydra fight. Preferably complete with burning the stumps of its severed heads off to stop them regenerating.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Holy poo poo at plot developments.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hydras, unicorns and harpies. Hell yeah

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
"Something big happened in Berserk."
"That's impossible, nothing ever happens anymore."
"Then how do you explain the dead unicorns?"

bondster
May 6, 2007

So since All the fantasy stuff is now part of the world, will we be seeing a Guts vs. Kraken fight soon?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

bondster posted:

So since All the fantasy stuff is now part of the world, will we be seeing a Guts vs. Kraken fight soon?

It means we'll be seeing Guts fighting EVERYTHING now. Like literally, Guts is going to probably have to walk from one side of everything to the other side sword first because the world is one giant monster den now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Did the fantasmic juice cure Guts of his burns? (spoiler for guts this chapter)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Demtor posted:

I've been reading this series off and on for the last 10 years. Over the last few months I've been slowly catching up on what I missed after my most recent near two year break. All caught up as of this week, and here I find today is the first day I have ever paid attention enough to read the news of a newly translated episode, the day of. I am pleased that my level of Berserk devotion has risen to new heights.

Oh, and I finally bought a Dreamcast just last week... for the Berserk game of course.

With this new world fantasy becomes reality turn of events, that elf island is most likely hosed now. I suppose there could be some magical barrier of sorts. An elf sanctuary residing in multiple planes of existence isn't too far of a stretch at this point, but I have a feeling that the end of the sea journey won't be pretty.

Or they become much more powerful, and aren't so friendly anymore.

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Zorak posted:

It means we'll be seeing Guts fighting EVERYTHING now. Like literally, Guts is going to probably have to walk from one side of everything to the other side sword first because the world is one giant monster den now.

So this. So very, very this.

Burn the hydra stumps my rear end. This is Guts. He will, upon finding that chopping off the heads isn't working, chop off the body

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Demtor posted:

I still can't recall if I ever beat that game. One of the later levels is this horrific sequence of running towards the camera while instant kill chases you down. It's miserable. It might be that I never beat it higher than normal if there are multiple difficulties though.

narfanator posted:

Burn the hydra stumps my rear end. This is Guts. He will, upon finding that chopping off the heads isn't working, chop off the body

So he's turned into Chuck Norris? I like this.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I love the farmers. They're all
"...is that a loving unicorn, Tim?"
"I think so, Phil. Is that a goddamned hydra eating unicorns?"
"Yeah, seems that way."

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Does this big 'light dome' event remind anyone of Malazan Book of the Fallen? Something similar happened there in one of the latest books (Bonehunters I think), where a bunch of Bridgeburners got transfigured by a big dome of light.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Kinda makes me wonder where the series can go from here. I wish it were back to the days of solo Guts.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
This so has to be the start of the series's endgame.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Scoobi posted:

Did the fantasmic juice cure Guts of his burns? (spoiler for guts this chapter)

Looks like it. I wonder if his demon dog persona will become real at some point.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.

Fiannaiocht posted:

Looks like it. I wonder if his demon dog persona will become real at some point.

I doubt that, it's not an astral being so the worlds merging has no real effect on what it does to Guts. It's internal to him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way, has it ever been stated if the Skeleton Knight is actually a skeleton or if that's just the form his berserker armor takes?

EDIT: It was implied back at the witch's house that he had some connection with it if I remember right.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Berserker armor that Guts/Gutsu/Gatts/whatever wears originally looked Skull Knight-ish. I believe it was stated, or at least implied, that The King of that ancient civilization wore a skull based armor, and that the skull knight wore the berserker armor until his entire body was eaten away. I don't think his current armor is his skeleton or the berserker armor, but I think it is symbilogical of his past.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ryuujin posted:

The Berserker armor that Guts/Gutsu/Gatts/whatever wears originally looked Skull Knight-ish. I believe it was stated, or at least implied, that The King of that ancient civilization wore a skull based armor, and that the skull knight wore the berserker armor until his entire body was eaten away. I don't think his current armor is his skeleton or the berserker armor, but I think it is symbilogical of his past.

He doesn't wear the Berserker armor, since the one Guts is wearing used to be Skull Knight's.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I think it was a case of the berserker armor ate him, but he couldn't die because of fate/curse kind of like guts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does he poop?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Cbouncerrun posted:

Does he poop?

I would assume not, otherwise he would poop behelits and then he's have to eat his behelit poop so that he always has a reserve of behelits in his stomach to coat his sword with so that he can slash through dimensions and turn Apostles into light-jizz at any given time. But I really do not know Skull Knight biology, so I am just speculating here HTH

Edit: Or zorak may be right. Follow-up question: Does his horse poop?

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 15, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cbouncerrun posted:

Does he poop?

Yeah, he poops.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

Does he poop?

He takes lively poops, but wait he is probably already dead :yohoho:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I think it was a case of the berserker armor ate him, but he couldn't die because of fate/curse kind of like guts.

I thought Guts's distinguishing characteristic was that he wasn't bound or affected by fate, and that was how he survived the Eclipse in the first place.

(EDIT: Aside from being, y'know, Guts. And that whole chopping off of the arm process.)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Wow, I picked the right time to catch up on this. That was awesome.

I wonder if things are changed completely now, or if we just get fantasy monsters on top of everything else. I'm also hoping that the main characters are rearranged during all this. Get Isidoro out of there at least.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

Wow, I picked the right time to catch up on this. That was awesome.

I wonder if things are changed completely now, or if we just get fantasy monsters on top of everything else. I'm also hoping that the main characters are rearranged during all this. Get Isidoro out of there at least.

Isidoro rules why would you want to get rid of him :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

To each his own, but personally I'd say because he's a useless, redundant, and more annoying version of Puck.

I could probably be convinced to change my mind if Miura actually spent some time developing this set of characters the way he did the Hawks, though. Right now they just don't stand out in my mind at all, except for maybe Schierke, who still suffers from being like twelve years old.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Zorak posted:

I agree. He now has a fire knife and is awesome!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Cbouncerrun posted:

Does he poop?

He poops tortured souls.

It's been some years since I read the previous volumes now--good pacing, you perfectionist bastard--, but I don't recall him having a super-badass sword made of behelits previously. Anyway, he found a use for those, so what's left for him to poop?

insaine
Aug 29, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

He poops tortured souls.

It's been some years since I read the previous volumes now--good pacing, you perfectionist bastard--, but I don't recall him having a super-badass sword made of behelits previously. Anyway, he found a use for those, so what's left for him to poop?

The first time that his sword was revealed to us was in the troll cave, after guts got really hosed up by Slans physical manifestation, skully used the sword (Blade of resonance or something) to teleport out of there if I recall

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought Guts's distinguishing characteristic was that he wasn't bound or affected by fate, and that was how he survived the Eclipse in the first place.

(EDIT: Aside from being, y'know, Guts. And that whole chopping off of the arm process.)

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree. Guts was clearly bound by fate. Is was binding him. So he stabbed the thing enacting fate. And then he found another thing enacting fate, and killed that, too. Rinse, repeat.

This is not, and has never been, a story about a guy who is special because alone among men, he is untouched by fate. It's not even a story about a guy who takes his fate by the balls and stabs it into tatters. Guts had a fate. It ran into the indomitable wall of his will power and got distracting watching Guts kill everything.

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember many, many people being astounded by how little Guts seemed to care about "fate", most notably the various whiny Apostles.

Then again, it's common in Anime/Manga for the villians go on about fate, and be totally wrong.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So, I'm playing the PS2 game but it gets old really fast, does it get any better once I leave the snow levels?

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

narfanator posted:

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember many, many people being astounded by how little Guts seemed to care about "fate", most notably the various whiny Apostles.

Then again, it's common in Anime/Manga for the villians go on about fate, and be totally wrong.

I have to agree with you. Guts is marked by fate to die (the brand) yet he simply refuses to do so, despite the pain and suffering it brings him.

The villains here have all been correct about fate, whenever they speak about it. I don't think they will be proven wrong when guts finaly kills them, because it was never his fate to kill them, he just did it because he diden't want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Um, I just noticed:

What happened to the patch of white hair on Guts? It seems to be gone when the white light hits him.

If so, I wonder if the light is going to also remove the brand/restore his arm or eye or something.

Or actually, you know, heal Casca for once. If Griffith is the one that caused her to go nuts, it would be interesting if he's also the one that heals her.