Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
More carb fun with oddball Hondas!

My Nighthawk's original carbs were damaged, so I replaced them with an Ebay set. Guess how they're jetted? :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is it wrong I want to punch a friend in the face because he's stunting on the open street on a beautiful r6.

specifically doing this

Click here for the full 565x604 image.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

KidDynamite posted:

Is it wrong I want to punch a friend in the face because he's stunting on the open street on a beautiful r6.

specifically doing this

No, in fact, you should punch him twice.

At least tell him to go find some farm roads or an empty industrial park and wear some loving safety gear while he's at it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

KidDynamite posted:

specifically doing this

just curious, how old is your friend?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

KidDynamite posted:

You could punch him, but more importantly you should videotape him so that his eventual shame will be documented on Youtube to warn others against being a douche on a bike.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

aventari posted:

just curious, how old is your friend?

21 or 22. I wasn't there he just posted this poo poo on facebook and I flipped on him on there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remind him how fun it will be to slam into that row of cars, and not only ruin his bike, but have to pay for the car damage on top of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

all those are good suggestions but "that won't happen to me, I'm good :smug:"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Linedance posted:

Basically this. He does ridiculous poo poo on bmx bikes so he has like no fear in his brain. I don't know what I can do besides punching him in the face.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, you might as well profit from his asshattery. Start up a dead pool

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Some Other Forum[/quote posted:

I understand what you went through I also had a similar situation happen to me, I laid my bike down and more people came out of the wood work bashing me.

You live you learn. I know of two people who died that stayed on thier bike and braked the "right" way. They had total control of the bike right until they hit the car.

:psyduck:

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
So the GF and I went to see the Star Trek movie today. The first time they show Kirk on his future-bike she leans over and says "squid".

It appears my prejudices are contagious.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What I didn't get about the bike in Star Trek was the hubless wheels; I guess just one more thing to try to make it look "futuristic."

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Bah, misread.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Chris Knight posted:

What I didn't get about the bike in Star Trek was the hubless wheels; I guess just one more thing to try to make it look "futuristic."

the future!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

aventari posted:

the future!

:science:

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Oh, Honda, always coming up with worthless concept bikes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

where? what? huh?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ranathari posted:

Oh, Honda, always coming up with worthless concept bikes.

It was supposed to be a V4 supersport :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those wheelesque things better be loving hovergenerators

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Those wheelesque things better be loving hovergenerators

They're turbines, and it actually travels sideways down the road! :science:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oakey posted:

So the GF and I went to see the Star Trek movie today. The first time they show Kirk on his future-bike she leans over and says "squid".

It appears my prejudices are contagious.

Haha! I must admit I muttered the exact same thing. :haw::hf::haw:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

What's weird is the cop chasing in the beginning had a hovercycle and 10 years later he was riding around on wheels, I told my date "It looks like motorcycle technology has regressed".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

What's weird is the robot cop chasing in the beginning had a hovercycle and 10 years later he was riding around on wheels, I told my date "It looks like motorcycle technology has regressed".

Only Robocops get hovercycles

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

:science:

Those things start at $5800. And they don't even make them for VFRs.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Retarded Pimp posted:

What's weird is the cop chasing in the beginning had a hovercycle and 10 years later he was riding around on wheels, I told my date "It looks like motorcycle technology has regressed".

Do you really think some troublemaker farmboy could afford the equivalent of a brand new copbike? Kirk's is obviously some old ratbike.

Dilbert.
Feb 20, 2006
two thumbs uuughhlp

Linedance posted:

It usually ends with "Oh man, I dunno what happened, the bike did this and that and it totally wasn't my fault", right? What else have you guys heard?

Also:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Prelude Gundam posted:

It usually ends with "Oh man, I dunno what happened, the bike did this and that and it totally wasn't my fault", right? What else have you guys heard?

"I totally didn't see that rock/car/pothole/divot", "Got totally distracted by a bee, a hawt girl, a rock, another biker, metaphysical moment, out of body experience."

The usual stuff, really.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best is "i just pushed it too far" or "I had to lay 'er down"

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
"It just got away from me - I think the tyres are worn/need to be scrubbed in."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

"I had to lay 'er down"

This. Nobody ever has to lay 'er down, she done laid you down son. :colbert:

Still haven't got my pics sorted, many panoramas to stich and words to type. I'll get cracking on the pics after work today. Meanwhile here are some teasers.

Any tips on color tuning appreciated.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

This. Nobody ever has to lay 'er down, she done laid you down son. :colbert:

Well if you can think of a better way to slide under a giant robot to shoot it in the nuts, I'd like to hear it! :colbert:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's my observation that a big thumper engine with FI has a hard time running smooth at constant throttle. The KTM just does not like going at a constant boring speed. The solution?

A) Rev the piss out of it
B) Constantly accellerate

I think I'm fine with this.

Also, dirtbikers, is there a trick to gripping a violently decellerating dirt bike with your body? Sport bikes are easy enough to grip the tank and use the seat to plant you in place so you don't apply pressure on the bars when stopping but I was noticing during my track day that under really hard braking I was putting more force into the bars than I really wanted to. It's possible to squeeze the bike a bit with your knees but it's not nearly as effective with a skinny slippery surface such as the KTM's meager plastics.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

It's my observation that a big thumper engine with FI has a hard time running smooth at constant throttle. The KTM just does not like going at a constant boring speed. The solution?

A) Rev the piss out of it
B) Constantly accellerate

I think I'm fine with this.

Also, dirtbikers, is there a trick to gripping a violently decellerating dirt bike with your body? Sport bikes are easy enough to grip the tank and use the seat to plant you in place so you don't apply pressure on the bars when stopping but I was noticing during my track day that under really hard braking I was putting more force into the bars than I really wanted to. It's possible to squeeze the bike a bit with your knees but it's not nearly as effective with a skinny slippery surface such as the KTM's meager plastics.

my 650 Pegaso has a bit of an issue with a constant ~4000 rpm. It crops up at certain speeds, but just a little variation in revs clears it right up. I also found out just recently that it loves to sing at 5500+ and there's a lot more power up there than I thought, once you crouch down out of the wind.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Linedance posted:

it loves to sing at 5500+

This is certainly true. Redline is 7800 RPM and at about 5k the thing just takes off. If your in 1st and accellerating hard, violent wheelie. 2nd? wheelie. 3rd? If your sitting forward the front will just chatter. Sitting back? Wheelie.

Love it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Any tips on color tuning appreciated.

Most of the time you don't really need to do much. Those shots look pretty good already. What kind of camera did you use?

If anything, a simple thing to do is bump up the saturation just a little bit to make the pictures "pop" a little more. Only a little bit though, it can quickly go from a little bland > wow! > comically overblown.

If you have an editor with the feature, you can also selectively bring up certain color levels to make those colors stand out in the image more, without bringing the saturation of everything up. For instance, upping the green level a little over everything else would make the grass just a little more lush looking. Honestly it turns into personal preference at that point, as far as what you want to stand out in the image. Most of the time, a modern camera will be close enough to accurate just left to its own devices, in terms of overall white balance and color.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

This is certainly true. Redline is 7800 RPM and at about 5k the thing just takes off. If your in 1st and accellerating hard, violent wheelie. 2nd? wheelie. 3rd? If your sitting forward the front will just chatter. Sitting back? Wheelie.

Love it.

I've got about 1000rpm less headroom, and though I did get it to lift the wheel a bit once or twice, there was nothing violent about it. It might catwalk all day though, if I knew what I was doing!
I'd love to try out a KTM, the guy who sold me my Peg had upgraded to a 990 SM.

re: colour tuning

One thing I have noticed with a point&shoot, is where auto white balance is usually fine for sunny days, setting it to the "cloudy" setting when it's overcast does wonders for the colour and helps things from looking washed out.
(edit- I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I always forget about it because it's buried in a menu on my camera.)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 12, 2009

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the tips guys. I went with secret option C, "meh screw it, too many pics to process, too little time". But now that you've mentioned it, there's definitely too much blue in almost all of my pics. So easy to see when you know, so completely beyond me without particular talent and no training. Good to know for the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Crossposted from the free magazine megathread in coupons, Free Sport Rider subscription.

quote:

Free One-year (12-issue) Subscription to Sport Rider.
Offer good for the first 10,000 respondents.

https://www.roadgear.com/index.php?page=SportRiderOffer

EDIT: Dead now :(

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 15, 2009