Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brucie Banner
Jun 18, 2008

by Fistgrrl

longview posted:

I've just gotten a hold of 3 enlargers from a local school, all are Durst, I think 2 were M-305s and the third was a higher number, which could do medium format with the proper lens and holder but had plastic holders.

Apologies for crappy cell-phone picture

But they seem to lack the proper lamps, examination of the sockets inside them makes it looks like they use regular 75W tungsten lamps, could this be correct?

One of the M-305s had a 12V 100W halogen lamp installed + a fairly complex filter system with 3 knobs for each colour, but no focusing screen or transformer to drive it.

Also what kind of paper + developer is good for a newbie who'll probably need to make a whole lot of prints without going bankrupt?

I learned how to make prints on Ilford matte multigrade RC (resin-coated) IV. It was reasonably cheap and you can display it under a lot of different light and it developed fairly quickly compared to a thicker paper where you had to wait a while for it to develop, which if you're new might be good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The lamp isn't quite a regular lamp on enlargers. I took a look at mine, the Omega uses a different bulb than the Durst, the Durst uses a 211 75w 120v. Couldn't hurt to plug one in and try it though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Oh hi, I'm currently watching your action. Small world, eh?

I have no idea what it's going to go for since I've never heard of it being done, figured I'd just start it at 99 cents and see where it winds up. If you're interested in it, the guy at Midstate Camera Repair will do the mod (plus any necessary repairs, in this one's case a little bit of plastic had fallen in the advance mechanism) for $65. Not bad if you pick up a busted one for $20, although he was unable to fix the shutter mechanism on another one I sent him (did't charge me for it though).

Reichstag posted:

Zorki 10

drat, that is unusually attractive for a Russian camera. Shame about the full manual only though :(

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have no idea what it's going to go for since I've never heard of it being done, figured I'd just start it at 99 cents and see where it winds up. If you're interested in it, the guy at Midstate Camera Repair will do the mod (plus any necessary repairs, in this one's case a little bit of plastic had fallen in the advance mechanism) for $65. Not bad if you pick up a busted one for $20, although he was unable to fix the shutter mechanism on another one I sent him (did't charge me for it though).

drat, that is unusually attractive for a Russian camera. Shame about the full manual only though :(

Well if I don't win an auction ending today I'll probably be bidding on yours. Considering the unmodded ones are selling for upwards of 80 dollars you'll probably make a pretty penny whoever wins.

Glad to hear that there's a company doing the mod, I love pushing Tri-X to 1600.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Well if I don't win an auction ending today I'll probably be bidding on yours. Considering the unmodded ones are selling for upwards of 80 dollars you'll probably make a pretty penny whoever wins.

Glad to hear that there's a company doing the mod, I love pushing Tri-X to 1600.

Yeah, I got my old one (the one that eventually developed the unfixable shutter issue) for $25 maybe 2 years ago, surprised how much they've gone up. They're really nice cameras though, I've been having second thoughts about selling that one all week.

Edit: also relisted the Bronica, just decided to do it auction style.

Brucie Banner
Jun 18, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, I got my old one (the one that eventually developed the unfixable shutter issue) for $25 maybe 2 years ago, surprised how much they've gone up. They're really nice cameras though, I've been having second thoughts about selling that one all week.

For 1.29? I'd buy it now at that price... even without a waistlevel.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Would be keen on that, you wouldn't ship to New Zealand by any chance?

On a different note, I just had my first ever roll of Velvia 100 scanned, it really does get crazy saturated if you underexpose it by accident.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Mello Clello posted:

On a different note, I just had my first ever roll of Velvia 100 scanned, it really does get crazy saturated if you underexpose it by accident.

This is why film is awesome. Saturation level can be controlled by under/overexposing (in a manner that is not lovely)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mello Clello posted:

I've got a few rolls of Reala 100 to take to be developed. Should be interesting to compare. I would have tried Velvia but I wanted the extra elbow room for exposure since it would be for vacation photos and I wouldn't be going back any time soon for do-overs.

I just wish there were more places that did colour 120 film around here. Are there any places in Vancouver other than G. King Photo that do 120? More specifically, any that are further out from the city core?

I've also got a bunch of rolls of 35mm Kodak Ektar 100 to have done too. Can't wait since it's all neat stuff like mountains, badlands, lakes and other neat stuff.

HPL fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 11, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

HPL posted:

I just wish there were more places that did colour 120 film around here. Are there any places in Vancouver other than G. King Photo that do 120? More specifically, any that are further out from the city core?

Uh, yeah man there are tonnes. How far away from the city core do you mean? I guess since you mentioned G. King specifically you probably mean South/East Vancouver or the suburbs, in which case I can't help you. In fact, I don't know why I wrote this post. I'm from Vancouver. Vancouver.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mello Clello posted:

It looks like I should be able to fit it all in to a medium Flat Rate box, so it'd be about US$40 (uninsured) to anywhere overseas. I'm not sure what NZ's stance on duty is now; apparently Australia closed their "gift" loophole last year. I could undervalue it on the customs form but then you'd be screwed if anything happened to it. (For whatever it's worth I've never had a problem doing it in the past)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Twenties Superstar posted:

Uh, yeah man there are tonnes. How far away from the city core do you mean? I guess since you mentioned G. King specifically you probably mean South/East Vancouver or the suburbs, in which case I can't help you. In fact, I don't know why I wrote this post. I'm from Vancouver. Vancouver.

I know there are lots of places in Vancouver Vancouver, but I mean somewhere a little further to the east so I don't have to drive at least half an hour or so each way through crazy traffic and pay a bazillion dollars for parking. I just went with G. King because I've heard nothing but good things about them and they charge decent prices.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

HPL posted:

I know there are lots of places in Vancouver Vancouver, but I mean somewhere a little further to the east so I don't have to drive at least half an hour or so each way through crazy traffic and pay a bazillion dollars for parking. I just went with G. King because I've heard nothing but good things about them and they charge decent prices.

"The Lab" at Main and Second is probably the easternmost pro photo lab in town, alas. If you want to do less driving I think you get the send-away service at a walmart or london drugs. It would take longer, but take less of your time.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
The Lab is more expensive than G. King or your ABC's but they do really good quality professional service and will basically do anything you ask. London Drugs is your best bet for convenience but it is marginally more expensive (a matter of cents) and will take about a week to get your film back and the print and scan quality (if you are concerned with that) can be hit or miss especially with slide.

edit: On the other hand London Drugs will make a towel with your photo on it if you ask them to.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Twenties Superstar posted:

The Lab is more expensive than G. King or your ABC's but they do really good quality professional service and will basically do anything you ask. London Drugs is your best bet for convenience but it is marginally more expensive (a matter of cents) and will take about a week to get your film back and the print and scan quality (if you are concerned with that) can be hit or miss especially with slide.

All I want is plain old C-41 processing for 120 and 135, done well. London Drugs is crazy for black and white processing though($10 a roll plus extra for stuff like push developing). G. King charges about half that and seeing as they pride themselves on their work, probably do a better job. To be honest, I'm not a huge huge fan of London Drugs since they charge a little more than Superstore but use pretty much the same Noritsu machines anyway. For my more pedestrian 35mm colour work, Superstore is fine for me.

I'm out in the Tri-Cities area, so it's kind of a pain to get to the Vancouver labs since they're usually not open very convenient hours if at all on weekends and weekdays means hacking and slashing my way back home through rush hour traffic.

I'll definitely check out The Lab some time though.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
My nearest London Drugs has Fuji Frontiers, but won't do 120 in-store. I generally just use them for 35mm C-41 when I am too lazy to make it out to the one shoppers' in town that will still process film, anything else I'm either doing in my bathroom or taking to somewhere "more professional".

I really ought to make it out to superstore just to pick up some cheap film...

Oh and finally, The Lab is super cool and everything, but they won't push process b/w stuff more than a stop, its kind of funny.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunno posted:

I really ought to make it out to superstore just to pick up some cheap film...

Oh and finally, The Lab is super cool and everything, but they won't push process b/w stuff more than a stop, its kind of funny.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm kind of picky about how I want my B&W stuff processed, so it's all home developed on that front.

President's Choice film isn't bad for the price. Give it a shot. You won't find Fuji Superia for much cheaper anywhere else. I wish they made ISO 100 film, but oh well. Try their film developing too. It's like $3 a roll if you do it "negatives only" and scan them yourself.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
So I just received a Pentax ME Super, and I am a complete photography noob. Are there any other ME Super owners here? Or does someone know of any links/resources for this model I could use to check if the camera is in working condition?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

betamax posted:

So I just received a Pentax ME Super, and I am a complete photography noob. Are there any other ME Super owners here? Or does someone know of any links/resources for this model I could use to check if the camera is in working condition?

The easiest way is to buy a cheap roll of film, run it through and have it processed and see if everything came out okay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
On a lark I just bought a Bronica ETR-Si with 220 back and 75mm lens for $101 off eBay. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I've been wanting a modular SLR MF, but the cheapest thing I've been able to find was a Kiev and that was three times this one's price.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Wow, that's a great deal, I'm pretty jealous right now.

For trade:
4x 36exp rolls of Kodachrome 64, Expiration date 11/97. Bought them on ebay last year, never got around to shooting them, never will it looks like. I'll consider trading for any 35mm or 120 film, C-41 or B/W.

oh, email me at barrelbreak@gmail

edit: Pending to Shiggen

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 12, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

On a lark I just bought a Bronica ETR-Si with 220 back and 75mm lens for $101 off eBay. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I've been wanting a modular SLR MF, but the cheapest thing I've been able to find was a Kiev and that was three times this one's price.

Download the manual from the Michael Butkus site, don't be like me and load the first roll of film backwards. Doing that results in significant underexposures. You may or may not have much luck loading 120 film in the 220 back, but the film inserts interchange between the shells and are relatively inexpensive. My Bronica has a couple of wierd quirks but was cheap enough to ignore them, I got a 150mm and a 75mm lens with camera, prism finder and speed grip for $135.
If you can find a waist level finder for less than what you paid for the camera, buy it. Don't bother with a metered prism as they can't be trusted.
When you use it, you'll feel like a real photographer. Skinny underfed digital users will hide their puny P&S's in shame. DSLR toting photophags will act try to look down on you but will be secretly envious, and the cute art student girl with the raspberry beret (the kind you find in a second hand store) will follow you around like a love smitten duckling. I absolutely guarantee all of this or my name isn't Bob.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Check your email, Reichstag. :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

pwn posted:

Check your email, Reichstag. :)

Emailed you back.
As the info is pertinent to anyone else interested, let me c+p it here:
I've stored it in the freezer for the past year, but I have no idea how it was stored previously, and I haven't had any of it developed, so I can't say if it's still good. The boxes are sealed, for what it's worth.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I bought an SQ-Ai kit on a whim last month, selling it on eBay now. I'd definitely recommend picking up a Speedgrip (on the SQ system it's the Speedgrip-S), it makes advancing film a lot more convenient. The metering prism on mine seemed pretty accurate but I say that with the caveat that I never even developed anything that I ran through the camera.

Kiev's aren't that bad, you just have to wait for a used one to pop up rather than buying one brand new from Ukraine. I paid $130 for a complete Kiev 60 setup (80mm lens, TTL prism, body) although it turned out to be broken and I returned it. They can use both the cheap, decent Russian lenses as well as the nice Zeiss Pentacon-6 mount glass. The system's almost worth it alone for the $200 30mm Arasat fisheye.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gnomad posted:

Download the manual from the Michael Butkus site, don't be like me and load the first roll of film backwards. Doing that results in significant underexposures. You may or may not have much luck loading 120 film in the 220 back, but the film inserts interchange between the shells and are relatively inexpensive. My Bronica has a couple of wierd quirks but was cheap enough to ignore them, I got a 150mm and a 75mm lens with camera, prism finder and speed grip for $135.
If you can find a waist level finder for less than what you paid for the camera, buy it. Don't bother with a metered prism as they can't be trusted.

Yeah, I downloaded the manual already and ordered 5 rolls of 220 film. I wasn't aware I could run 120 film through it. I really want a waist level finder since I have no idea how I'm supposed to hold this at eye level without a grip. It's lacking a darkslide, is that a problem if I don't plan on switching backs out midroll?

quote:

When you use it, you'll feel like a real photographer. Skinny underfed digital users will hide their puny P&S's in shame. DSLR toting photophags will act try to look down on you but will be secretly envious, and the cute art student girl with the raspberry beret (the kind you find in a second hand store) will follow you around like a love smitten duckling. I absolutely guarantee all of this or my name isn't Bob.

Oh man, I remember back in the day when I could get girls to pay attention to me just by pulling out a fancy camera and there was always a cute friend with aspirations to be a model who'd pose for me.

Alas, it doesn't last. I mostly just take pictures of my kids and dog these days.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my film back from G. King. I like that they give you your negatives on one continuous strip in a sleeve so you can cut it to however many frames per strip you want or leave it in a roll.

I've only scanned the first few frames of the Reala, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

HPL posted:

Got my film back from G. King. I like that they give you your negatives on one continuous strip in a sleeve so you can cut it to however many frames per strip you want or leave it in a roll.
Huh. I just assumed all labs would do this if you asked.

Do a lot of labs set the unsharp mask on their scanners? Mine does, and I can't complain with the results. :q:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

pwn posted:

Huh. I just assumed all labs would do this if you asked.

Do a lot of labs set the unsharp mask on their scanners? Mine does, and I can't complain with the results. :q:

Most consumer labs cut 35mm film into 4 frame strips. This is the first time I've used a pro lab.

I'm scanning the negatives at home.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

HPL posted:

Most consumer labs cut 35mm film into 4 frame strips. This is the first time I've used a pro lab.

I'm scanning the negatives at home.

You can just ask for "no cut" when you drop off. I've gotten continuous strips from both shoppers' drugmart and my local london drugs.

Edit: they really wont' be surprised, especially if it's a develop-only order, they know what's up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, finally got off my rear end and ordered a 5-reel developing tank. Got tired of shooting three or four rolls of film at a concert and having to juggle two tanks at once. Plus it does two or three rolls of 120 at once too, which is nice. I just hope it fits in my changing bag.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

HPL posted:

Well, finally got off my rear end and ordered a 5-reel developing tank. Got tired of shooting three or four rolls of film at a concert and having to juggle two tanks at once. Plus it does two or three rolls of 120 at once too, which is nice. I just hope it fits in my changing bag.

The idea of having a 5-roll queue to scan disgusts me. I spent most of last week shooting a music festival and thankfully only did 6 rolls of b/w, the last 2 are drying right now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunno posted:

The idea of having a 5-roll queue to scan disgusts me. I spent most of last week shooting a music festival and thankfully only did 6 rolls of b/w, the last 2 are drying right now.

It actually doesn't take that long to scan concert shots because I scan them as 6-shot strips instead of 12 individual photos (the scanning software usually can't find the photo edges of dark photos) so there's less starting and stopping of the scanning. I'm working my way through my vacation photos and it's very painful because doing 12 individual photos in colour with ICE takes forever and a half.

What I do is work on each strip as it gets scanned so there's kind of a parallel workflow thing going on where I scan and post process at the same time.

I don't actually shoot 5 rolls that often, usually two or three, but still it's better to work with one tank for 3 rolls than two. When I'm working with two tanks at once, mistakes happen. The multi 120 thing was very appealing too.

Also, I tried a few portrait shots with CyberSyncs, 285HVs and my Rolleiflex. It was neat being able to actually see the flashes lighting up the subject through the viewfinder. Focusing in low light with the WLF was a bitch though.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 15, 2009

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
All right goons- through a connection at my job I've come across the opportunity to shoot with some old Hasselblads and other medium format cameras that are way out of my price range. Any film recommendations for color? I'm totally new to shooting color film, though I've done black and white before and am going to try and get my hands on just regular Ilford FP4 or whatever they'll have at the camera store around here.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Depends on what you're wanting to shoot and in what light.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
I just realized what a lame post that was- I normally shoot ISO 400 and look for overcast outdoor scenes, but I've been shooting digital at night for the past few months so I'm really out of it as far as day-time shooting, so I think that'll be good to get back into the swing of it.

edit: the Portra 400NC looks great! Thank you. I only hope my scanner will do until I get in class next semester and can use theirs.

Leyendecker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 15, 2009

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What about some Portra 400NC?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I want to get a film scanner. The canon canoscan 8800, and the epson v500 have been mentioned lately in this thread. They are both in my price range. Any pros/cons between these two? Otherwise I think I will go with the canon.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Stregone posted:

I want to get a film scanner. The canon canoscan 8800, and the epson v500 have been mentioned lately in this thread. They are both in my price range. Any pros/cons between these two? Otherwise I think I will go with the canon.
I foolishly wanted a more expensive scanner to proof some film and some dude at B&H told me to get the v500. He was a cool dude, man. I am happy with my purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I bought an Epson Perfection 2450 off Craigslist for eighty bucks and, with Vuescan, is basically as good a film scanner as any.