Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Godzilla07 posted:

Get the Nokia E63. The camera is bad but it's a good phone otherwise. You don't have to pay for a data plan and you have Wi-Fi so you could access the Internet (within Wi-Fi.) It's $150 on Amazon right now.

Thanks, looks like a good recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

Phone/Service Recommendation:

# Country/Provider: USA/no preference

# Current contract status: none

# Budget (phone/plan): Unknown (I do not have a fixed limitation on budget, but I would like to get a decent deal for the features I require)

# Features I know I want:
Voice clarity, POP3 email, Instant Messaging (Yahoo/AIM), SSH client.
- I will make/receive very few phone calls.
- I will need to have the phone check Yahoo IM/AIM at all times, and notify me of new messages.
- I will need the phone to check three POP3 email accounts at all times, and notify me of new messages, if possible.

(I have no need for cameras, MP3, video, GPS, web browsing, editing documents, etc.
This will be a voice/email/IM business phone)

Either a G1 or iPhone. (live notifications for iPhone IM apps will be active as of June / July. The G1 has this today) Most of those other features you listed that you don't want are included on all new phones anyway--'cept maybe if you go super budget and just get an old Sidekick, in which case you'll have crappier voice call quality cause you won't have 3G.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The screen on my crappy free Sony Ericsson phone finally died for good today, which means I need a new phone!

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Contract Status: Part of a family plan. Good deal through parent's employer so I'll be sticking with the contract. I believe it's been 2 years since I got a new phone though, so hopefully I can get a discount?

Features: qwerty keyboard would be great to have, and a decent camera. I currently just have voice minutes and unlimited texts as part of the contract, and with a laptop and ipod touch I don't really need great web browsing, email, GPS, music etc etc on the phone. I guess having the option to use the web would be a plus, but it's not really a dealbreaker. Pretty sure I'd have to increase the monthly payment to support that anyways, which I'm not really looking to do.

So- good phone for texting/pictures, hopefully not too much more than the basic "free" phones that I could replace my old one with. Any suggestions?

Edit- One last thing that I'll add: If the phone could be wi-fi capable that would be handy.

Edit2- Okay after looking around the web a little today, some that seem to fit the bill would be the Samsung Impression, LG Xenon, or maybe a Rant or Vu. The HTC Fuze looks nice too, but at work I can't actually check how much it would cost me given the current plan. Would I need to pay for a data plan to use it, even if I just used wi-fi connections?

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 3, 2009

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
My entirely adequate Nokia 2610 got washed, and while it still kind of works, it's draining the battery really fast and the speaker quality is shot. So I'm looking for new. The only thing I'm looking for above the features of the current phone is international use (specifically Europe).

* Country/Provider:

US, been with Cingular then ATT since 2001 without any real gripes.

* Current contract status:

Past 2 year agreement, I can leave ATT if I want. I think.

* Budget (phone/plan):

My current plan is ~45/mo, and I won't go much higher than that. But I also wouldn't have a problem with occasional charges for web use or somesuch. I hardly ever text anymore, so I have no plan for that and I'm not looking for one. I don't expect emailing from the phone.

For the phone, cheaper is better. That said, I have no real ceiling if someone convinces me that whatever phone is worth it. Still I won't drop $800 on that unlocked blackberry I saw at Bestbuy last week.

* Features I know I want:

- Battery life, battery life, battery life. Before washing, the measly Nokia 2610 would go a week without recharging with light use.
- Looking for international/Europe capability.
- MP3 player would be nice, but no big deal either way.
- Don't care for camera, but phones without seem harder and harder to find.
- Don't like flip phones, but not religious about it.

I looked at ATT's web site, and it's a total jungle out there. So any recommendation would help a lot.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well my w755 is crapping out on me (outer glass broke, pressure on weird spots is making screen glitch and freak out) and Ive been scouring ebay for verizon phones and Im having a hard time finding something that would last.

* Country/Provider:
Verizon, USA

2 year

* Budget (phone/plan):
About 50-60 bucks for a used phone.
Anything thats CDMA and will work on verizon. Bluetooth is a must.

Ive been looking at:
Samsung A930
Motorola K1m KRZR
Another motorola w755
Possibly a wifi smart phone like a samsung SCH-i730 if I can do it without getting a weird plan.

These seem like some of the nicer phones ebay has to offer in my price range, but I havent really had to buy a phone in quite a while so I dont know whats out there. Any suggestions?

A wifi smart phone would be nice too, from the sounds of it if it has wifi I dont need to go to any weird data plans. Or am I wrong about that?

PS: I HATE cdma, I really miss my GSM t-mobile, the freedom of any unlocked phone was very nice.

EDIT: I would like to mention duability is really needed, I work unloading freight and I frequently have large heavy objects leaning against my legs where my pockets are (fridges, grills and whatnot)

ExtremeODD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 6, 2009

Munky_Magic
Jul 3, 2004
I've recently obtained a lot of eBooks and just find that I don't get much enjoyment from reading them on my laptop. I really want to be able to read them before I go to bed.

I was considering buying a Nokia N810, but I'm wary about a few issues they have, such as processing speeds and general laggyness.

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone has purchased on of these before, and if so, are they quick enough to handle PDFs quickly, and without lag? Also, although it wouldn't be a crucial reason for purchasing it, it would be great to be able to surf the net (using Wireless), and be able to watch Google Videos or Youtube videos.

If anyone has any other suggestions for internet tablets I would be interested in hearing them. At this stage it seems like the N810 has all the features I'm looking for. Mainly I really just want something that is nice and rather portable, with a large screen and the ability to do some light internet browsing.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

# Country/Provider: USA/TMobile

# Current contract status: On my brother's family plan. It won't end for a few months, but I need to switch phones now, even if the number changes.

# Budget (phone/plan): Probably around 400$, but that's flexible.

# Features I know I want: First off, I want to switch to AT&T. I need my phone to work inside my house, and TMobile has never done that. Friends with AT&T have no problems inside my house.

I'd like to be able to use AIM/MSN, browser, music, video, etc. I won't be using that many minutes nor that many texts. Thus, I was looking at the iPhone. What would be the cheapest way of me switching providers and starting up a new account with AT&T?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah I mean what the hell, I'm bored, I'll half-assedly tackle a few of these.

Suprfli6, your "fits the bill" models are kinda all over the place. Are you looking for a touchscreen slabphone, or do you want physical keys? If you want physical keys, do you have a preference toward a thinner phone with a smaller screen and a keyboard or a thicker phone with a larger screen and slide-out keyboard? There's nothing but good things to say about the Nokia E71; it's the world's thinnest QWERTY-bar phone and packs a huge battery, an okay-ish 3.2 megapixel cam, GPS, a smartphone OS, and extraordinarily high customer satisfaction ratings. The screen is on the smaller and lower-rez end (same as a BlackBerry Curve's screen, for instance), so it won't be wonderful for web browsing, but it's not the worst thing in the world either.

If you go this route, you want the unlocked/unbranded version of the phone, the E71-2. AT&T sells it as the E71x, but in addition to being loaded with lovely AT&T branding all throughout the OS, their version will cost you +$30/month to add a data plan to if you ever want to go that route down the line. The unlocked E71-2 will cost you about $320 from Amazon or Newegg, and if your family has a messaging bundle already, you'll have the option to add 3G data to it for +$10/month -- a great deal, and you can use special software written for Nokia's OS to tether the data connection to a laptop so long as you understand that it's technically a ToS violation -- though you'll never get caught if you keep the data consumption to basic e-mail/IM/web browsing and if you don't march into an AT&T store and tell them you're doing it. :)

If you're interested in a touchscreen "slab" form factor and think you can handle a smaller screen, look at the unlocked version of the HTC Touch Diamond (approx. $380 from MobileCityOnline). It's compact, super high-rez, runs an OS that's more capable than (but less stable than) Nokia's OS, and it works with or without the +$10 data plan. Be cautioned that the larger-screened HTC Touch HD is available for import (approx $650) and is a much nicer phone (5MP camera, standard 3.5mm headphone jack, larger screen, newer HTC software installed by default), but the current version does not offer support for AT&T's 3G data network so you wouldn't have that flexibility if you became interested in slapping data on there at some point. If these phone prices seem high, don't worry too much; just get an iPhone 3G 8GB refurb with your contract renewal, sell it immediately to recover a pile of cash, drop the iPhone data plan from your account as soon as it's added, and spend that money to get something unlocked. When you buy poo poo from AT&T, you're screwing yourself out of adding reasonably-priced data down the line if that becomes a priority, and you're subjecting yourself to lovely carrier software on your phone at the same time.

Avoid the Impression/Xenon/Rant/Vu, because those phones are all dogshit. Good luck!

hey santa baby, you should definitely take a look at the Nokia N85, selling on Amazon for $280 shipped (after rebate) right now. Same advice as what I told the last guy: get an iPhone 3G 8GB refurb with your contract if you're up for AT&T renewal, drop the iPhone data immediately, and sell the phone on SA-Mart to recover cash. The N85 has a standard 3.5 headphone jack, an 8GB microSD card included in the box, decent music player software, and critically-praised audio fidelity from the headphone jack -- it will make a very good MP3 player for you. It also has GPS and a gorgeous (but not physically huge) OLED screen that sips battery. As long as you're not running the WiFi or GPS constantly you're going to get fabulous battery life for the phone, and if you are using those features just plan to recharge more frequently. The phone will work awesome in Europe, and yeah it's got a (quite excellent) camera on it that you can just consider a gratis inclusion since you're not shopping for one but it meets the rest of your criteria so nicely. Since the phone is not AT&T-branded, you can add 3G data to it for +$15/month if the mood ever strikes you. Good luck!

ExtremeODD, I don't even know where to start with you. You're paying an obnoxiously high phone bill but can somehow only spare 60 bucks for the device itself, and you're using the most restrictive carrier for some reason instead of AT&T or T-Mobile (or Sprint if you need Verizon's "network" and just wanted to pay less for it). Maybe someone who's a bigger Verizon fan can help you out -- good luck.

Munky_Magic, the N810 isn't a cellphone so you might have better luck in SH/SC. However, Nokia is building the N900 which is almost exactly the same device, only in cellphone form. If you're looking for convergence and love the N810, start there. If not, you're in the wrong forum. :)

RoryGilmore, sounds like you already figured your situation out and there's not much that can be done to stop you. Setup an AT&T account with an iPhone (or wait until July 10 when the new iPhone is allegedly coming out so you don't sink a bunch of cash into outgoing tech), and call T-Mobile to bitch relentlessly about how your phone doesn't work for poo poo in your house and they should let you out of contract for free. There's a good chance that they won't do it because they're soul-sucking dickholes, but it's certainly worth a try. If they won't do it, pay the ETF and wash your hands of them. Beware that they're going to try to sell you on their special router that offloads your wireless traffic to your home internet connection when you're in your house, and then hands your phone off to the towers when you leave. It's pretty cool stuff and works with a few decent BlackBerrys, but a BlackBerry isn't an iPhone and there's really no reason to reward a carrier that couldn't take care of you or provide the phone you really wanted in the first place with more of your money.

Be sure to see if your employer qualifies you for a monthly AT&T service discount. Good luck!

kbar fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 6, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Thanks so much! :)

edit: This might sound dumb, but would it be possible to get an unlocked one first? Or I need an account with AT&T in order to go that route? (I was told I needed an account/phone first in order to do that, but I'm not sure it's true, so I'm just making sure). Just trying to find the cheapest way to do this

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 6, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Unlocked iPhones are expensive as poo poo and are traditionally bad investments, since folks at HowardForums are reporting that AT&T will "sniff" the unlocked iPhone on the account and force you onto the +$30/month data plan for them anyway.

Unlocking an iPhone is extremely easy right now using QuickPwn (google it). You plug the poo poo in, run the software, and it performs a SIM unlock and a jailbreak all in one fell swoop.

Your best bet from a value standpoint would be to get the $99 refurb iPhone 3G 8GB that AT&T is selling with contract. That way, you've invested very little money (a new one would cost $199+contract, and a new 16GB would cost $299+contract) for now, and you can sell it for a decent amount of money if you decide you'd like to get the new iPhone allegedly launching this summer.

You would mainly want to do the jailbreak to the phone so that you can run cool unauthorized software (you can factory restore it in the event you need to take it in for warranty work), and you would want the phone SIM unlocked so that you can get a little more money out of it when you sell it (this allows T-Mobile customers or any other GSM customer in the world to use the phone easily with their carrier).

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

AT&T seems to be out of the refurbished :( If they're not back in stock soon, I'll probably just wait a week or two to for the announcement to see if the new phone is coming out by mid-July as per the rumor. If not, I'll just grab the new one with contract I guess.

Thanks so much for your help, saved me loads of hassle.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Ah weird, so they are. We just ordered four of them yesterday, heh.

My bad! :shobon:

Lobster Maneuver
Jan 4, 2005

All heart and all thumbs
  • Country/Provider:
    USA/Verizon, although I'm willing to change providers.

• Current contract status:
    Family plan, but as above I am willing to change.

• Budget (phone/plan):
    Phone can be any cost within reason, but I would prefer not to be on a data plan.

• Features I know I want:
    Wireless internet
    Some way of playing MP3s, preferably with microSD card input or something similar.
    E-mail and Google calendar support

I'm going off to grad school. Since campus is going to be inundated with wireless internet, I'd like to save on costs by not getting a data plan and getting a phone that can use wifi. Thing is, I don't know what phones have wireless capability, and I can't seem to find a good resource by googling. I've been using an iPod Touch for the last year, and it's done everything I could want, except make phone calls, so I'm just looking for something that can combine the Touch with my phone. It seems like this would obviously steer me towards an iPhone, but I'd like to ask you guys if there are any cheaper or Verizon-friendly options that I'm overlooking.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

kalibar posted:

Yeah I mean what the hell, I'm bored, I'll half-assedly tackle a few of these.

ExtremeODD, I don't even know where to start with you. You're paying an obnoxiously high phone bill but can somehow only spare 60 bucks for the device itself, and you're using the most restrictive carrier for some reason instead of AT&T or T-Mobile (or Sprint if you need Verizon's "network" and just wanted to pay less for it). Maybe someone who's a bigger Verizon fan can help you out -- good luck.

Well I guess I should of mentioned Im in Sioux Falls, SD. All they have out here is verizon, alltel, sprint and a few others, however the only one that could port my number from tmobile (detroit metro phone number) was verizon. I wasnt given much time to switch either, tmobile was pissed I was roaming for the most of 2 years. Also pricing out sprint in this area a 2 line plan thats the same as what I have is the same price. I did decide to go with the samsung, plenty of hotspots around here and I can block all verizon data.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lobster Maneuver posted:

a phone that can use wifi

For AT&T and T-Mobile, hit up GSMarena.com, and use their phone finder. Set WLAN to required. Enjoy your paradox of choice. (Note: You should probably set other options in the phone finder for other features you want to use. Once you get it below 70 it becomes a lot easier on you, since that's its $MAX_RESULTS.)

For Sprint or Verizon, you'll have to do a lot of your own legwork, since you can't just check a 'WiFi' box on their phone searches. At least they tell you when you look at the details....

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 7, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Lobster Maneuver posted:

• Country/Provider:
    USA/Verizon, although I'm willing to change providers.

• Current contract status:
    Family plan, but as above I am willing to change.

• Budget (phone/plan):
    Phone can be any cost within reason, but I would prefer not to be on a data plan.

• Features I know I want:
    Wireless internet
    Some way of playing MP3s, preferably with microSD card input or something similar.
    E-mail and Google calendar support

I'm going off to grad school. Since campus is going to be inundated with wireless internet, I'd like to save on costs by not getting a data plan and getting a phone that can use wifi. Thing is, I don't know what phones have wireless capability, and I can't seem to find a good resource by googling. I've been using an iPod Touch for the last year, and it's done everything I could want, except make phone calls, so I'm just looking for something that can combine the Touch with my phone. It seems like this would obviously steer me towards an iPhone, but I'd like to ask you guys if there are any cheaper or Verizon-friendly options that I'm overlooking.

Verizon's Wi-Fi phones require you to get data. Go with a EPRP plan from Sprint, more details in the Sprint thread about EPRP and grab a Pre. You won't have microSD support but you have the luxury of a good OS, one that isn't WM. The EPRP plan is $60 a month for unlimited texts, unlimited data and around 600 minutes from what I recall.

E: The Pre has a 3.5mm jack so you don't have to fiddle around with HTC's silly ExtUSB port for music if you got a Touch Pro instead of the Pre.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 7, 2009

Esteemed Colleague
Apr 12, 2008

I was, I am, I shall be.
# Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

# Current contract status: T-Mo to Go, but I'm not married to it if I have a reason to change

# Budget (phone/plan): As little as humanly possible, I am a cheap cheap bastard

- I need pay-as-you-go since I never actually make calls.
- I'm pretty much always in a wi-fi network and I want to use wi-fi to browse and IRC from my phone.
- I like to goof around with random applications.

That's it. I don't care about the camera or anything else. I will not be embarassed by old or Chinese hardware. I just want to browse and IRC over wi-fi, dick around with applications, and -- once in a great while -- make a call.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
# Country/Provider:
US/Verizon

# Current contract status:
Active/low end business plan

# Budget (phone/plan):
Under $100, but I am not opposed to hearing about higher priced phones in case work is feeling generous

Timed profiles

My current work phone is a motoralla vu204

Next to my personal iphone, my all time favorite phone, is a Nokia 6010. I know that Nokia and CDMA doesn't usually go together, but I wouldn't mind buying an older compatible phone off ebay either, if it is at all possible to use it (I have a feeling this isn't very easy with CDMA since they don't have sim cards).

Basically, on the 6010, you can set the phone to be silent for a certain length of time, and then after that time, the phone returns to its normal volume. I want a Verizon phone with this same feature, even if it is at personal expense, although I am poor so that limits my options somewhat.

I need this because I supervise people that absolutely do not respect the hours that I sleep at all, especially on the weekends, which for some reason they insist at calling me at 8:00 AM, even though I work at night, and they work at night too. I have threatened diciplinary action, and it gets them to stop for a week or two, but then it starts again, and I'm not really much of a hardass and the last thing I want to do is write someone up for calling me, but I'm gonna have to simply for my sanity if technology can't help me.

I do need to be available after around 11:00 AM, though, so just turning my phone off or setting it silent indefinitely are not good solutions, since, I as much of the day as I can get away with.

That is really just about it. All I care about is that I can kind of hear the person on the other end of the phone and send an occasional text message (like once a month occasional). I don't need internet or camera, or even long battery life. Bluetooth would be nice, but not required.

I have had very good experiences with Nokia, mixed experiences with motorolla and lousy experiences with samsung, but samsung it was the lowest of the low model so I would give them another shot. Actually I'd be willing to give just about any brand a shot if it had the feature I want.

Rick fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 7, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Esteemed Colleague, there is no better choice for you than picking up a second-hand iPhone 2G off of eBay/HoFo/SA-Mart. Expect to spend about $250-300, but that buys you access to the iPhone's App Store with the best application library in cellphones today, Wi-Fi capabilities, arguably the best web browser on a cellphone in pocket Safari, and the thing will play music for you too.

Don't worry about whether or not it's unlocked, since you can unlock it yourself trivially using QuickPwn. You'll need to do this so that you can use your T-Mobile SIM card with it. Good luck!

Rick, you're probably going to need to step it up to a smartphone or to a GSM carrier for that feature (unless a Verizon-lover that's intimately familiar with their dumbphones can comment here) which means stepping into the filthy jungle of Windows Mobile (think sluggish PDA with "phone.exe" installed). HTC Touch Pro is "approximately" your best bet here since it can run robust call management software like Spb Phone Suite with filtering capabilities and auto-vibrate/silent/normal profile switching. Tragically for you, Verizon's version of the Touch Pro is gimped at a hardware level (reduced amount of RAM) vs. Sprint's, their CDMA counterpart. Verzion carries some other lovely Windows Mobile phones, but really, a gimped version of the Touch Pro is a better choice than those. Unfortunately, I believe they're going to try to push a horrendously-priced data plan on you whether you like it or not.

I hate to come off too crudely or Verizon-hatey about this, but I have to be honest here. If you guys want anything beyond "it makes calls" and/or optionally-overpriced PalmOS/Windows Mobile choices, you need to stop giving Verizon Wireless your money. I realize that it's not an option a lot of the time if your company has a business account with them, but if that's the case then all you can do is go to a Verizon store and have one of their associates walk you through their junk phones, and buy something with the understanding that you're getting a limited product so that your company can maintain their agreement with Verizon.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Lobster Maneuver, you're going to have to change providers for what you're looking for, yeah. Based on the information you've given us I would say that Godzilla07's suggestion of a Palm Pre and Sprint EPRP is probably overkill -- unless of course you could convince your whole family to switch to an EPRP family plan and 4-5 Pres (or however many family members you have). Paying 1/4 or 1/5 the cost of an EPRP family plan will leave you with a very modest phone bill, and the full suite of services -- a decent amount of minutes, unlimited SMS, and unlimited 3G data for your new Pre.

If you're actually willing to switch providers, have your family pull your last 3 or 4 Verizon Wireless bills and find out how many total minutes you are consuming on your line, on a monthly basis: anytime, mobile to mobile, nights and weekends, all of them. If it's fewer than 300 or so, T-Mobile To Go would make sense for you because it's contractless with no accecss fees, the minutes cost 10 cents apiece (slightly less if you find the refill cards on sale), texts cost 10c to send and 5c to receive, and you can use any cool unlocked cellphone on the planet.

If T-Mo To Go fits your patterns, follow the iPhone advice I gave Esteemed Colleague in the post above this one.

If T-Mo To Go does not fit your usage patterns, see if you can find a couple friends (or again, see if your family is willing to port to a new carrier) to split a T-Mobile or AT&T family plan setup with. Even though you said data isn't a priority, I'll always recommend AT&T since it gives you the flexibility to add data for +$15/+$10 per month (depending on whether or not you have a messaging bundle) at any point down the line. However if you do not need data and you're set on the iPhone, T-Mobile is a better choice because of their marginally lower voice and SMS charges and because they won't try to charge you a fat data package for bringing an iPhone to the party.

Good luck!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah, that's the basic problem. They gave my boss a free blackberry, he loves it, so the rest of us are stuck. I can't even find a phone with a feature that was on an entry level phone 4 years ago.

Thanks anyway though.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The ridiculous part is that T-Mobile and AT&T carry the best BlackBerry on the market right now, the Curve 8900 (AT&T also has the Bold, nicer than anything in Verizon's lineup). It's too bad you can't pitch a reasonable case to your boss, since, you know, your carrier is actually affecting the quality of your life.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

kalibar posted:

hey santa baby, you should definitely take a look at the Nokia N85, selling on Amazon for $280 shipped (after rebate) right now.

Thanks for this. I'll read up on the N85 and probably go with it. The amazon writeup looks promising. The iphone swaparound is probably more hassle than I'm willing to put up with though. All the same, I appreciate the suggestion.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

hey santa baby posted:

Thanks for this. I'll read up on the N85 and probably go with it. The amazon writeup looks promising. The iphone swaparound is probably more hassle than I'm willing to put up with though. All the same, I appreciate the suggestion.
Yeah, I just mentioned flipping a phone since you said you were out of contract. Standard practice (annoyingly) when buying a phone that your carrier doesn't sell is to get a discounted phone with contract from your carrier and sell it to recover some of the cost of your unlocked phone. The iPhone 3G sells second-hand for good money, hence the recommendation.

You don't have to renew your contract if you buy an N85 (or any phone) from Amazon to actually use, but it's in your best interest to do so if you have no intention of leaving AT&T. Might as well collect a $199 iPhone to scoop up $450 from eBay and pocket $250, right?

Esteemed Colleague
Apr 12, 2008

I was, I am, I shall be.

kalibar posted:

Esteemed Colleague, there is no better choice for you than picking up a second-hand iPhone 2G off of eBay/HoFo/SA-Mart. Expect to spend about $250-300,

Sorry, I should have made clear that I'm much too cheap to spend hundreds on what, to me, is just a toy. I'm thinking more along the lines of something I can grab for like $50 used -- a buddy wants to give me his old Curve 8320 for $25.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Then you should take it. Curve 8320 sells used for $150-175, so your buddy is taking a bath on that.

Nice things cost money, and even if it's a toy, a 2G iPhone for less than 300 bucks without signing a contract is an exceptional deal for what you'd be getting. I'm not totally sure if you can use Wi-Fi on a BlackBerry without having a data plan or if the artificial RIM restriction will prevent you from it, so you'll want to check into that first. In either event, the web browser on the iPhone is many miles beyond the BlackBerry's browser and Opera Mini which will be your only choices on the Curve.

A used iPhone that's essentially an iPod Touch doubling as your prepaid cellphone is one of the closest things to a free lunch you can get. You mentioned Wi-Fi, web browsing, using IRC, and "goofing around with applications," and I can tell you that you'll be doing approximately none of those things at 50 bucks.

Esteemed Colleague
Apr 12, 2008

I was, I am, I shall be.

kalibar posted:

:words:
Thank you!

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
Country/Provider:
  • USA
  • T-Mobile

Current contract status:
  • Expired Family plan without contractual obligation
  • Not willing to change service or enter new contract

Budget (phone/plan):
  • $25-100
  • I want an unlocked phone that's readily available online or plentiful secondhand.

Features I know I want:
  • Durability, something I can throw around a little without breaking
  • Battery life, I'd like to leave the charger at home when I'm away on weekends.
  • Thin design
  • Simple uncluttered interface
  • Good reception and call volume

Basically, I just a want a simple reliable phone for calls and texting. I'm currently looking at the SLVR L7 and KRZR K1.

jromano fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 9, 2009

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am an American with Verizon and I share my phone plan with my family. This coming August I will be flying to Germany and I will be staying there for a year. What is my best option to get a cheap decent phone plan? At the moment I have Verizon and I am eligible to get a new phone so I can possibly get a world phone but the problem is the rates through Verizon are extremely expensive to make calls and to text in Germany.

I was thinking of renting a phone or getting a pay as you go phone in Germany. I just want something that has good reception (I will be in Berlin most of the time, but plan to travel all over Europe). I also want a plan that is very text friendly. I probably only make one call a day, but I send probably 40-50 text messages a day.

In the end will it be cheaper to get my Verizon plan extended or getting a German phone?

PrinceofLowLight
Mar 31, 2006
# Country/Provider: USA, currently using TMobile. No carrier preference

# Current contract status: Not locked in, eligible for upgrade

# Budget (phone/plan): Would like something under 200, but could probably do 300. Plan would ideally be around what I'm paying now (70)

# Features I know I want: Needs QWERTY keyboard, web surfing. Should make a good MP3 player.

Basically, my iPod no longer plays out of the right channel now, and my Sidekick 3 is on its last legs (barely flips open.) I never minded carrying around two devices before, but I'd rather not have to replace them both.

Ideally, I'd get an Android phone that doubled as an MP3 player. The G1 doesn't seem all that well suited to the task, since it lacks the 3.5mm jack. Anyone think the new Androids will be released soon?

The iPhone 3G S is tempting, since I'd only be waiting ten days and it (obviously) can do both. However, always having to go through apple for apps seems like a drag. Also, data plan is more expensive.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
# Country/Provider:
US/ AT & T

# Current contract status:
Renewed, have the option for a new phone

# Budget (phone/plan):
Nothing crazy, but no real limit

Ease of use, reliability. Sexiness. It has to look cool. Preferably not a flip phone.

Everyone tells me 'GET AN IPHONE' but to be honest, I have an iPod Touch that I got for Christmas and I'd feel like a piece of poo poo buying something that does everything the Touch does and then some, and then selling it on Craigslist or something.

I was reading up on the HTC Fuze and that seems pretty cool. Honestly I don't need much from a phone. I have a KRZR which has served me decently for the past two years. However, it's now nigh unchargeable for some reason and has serious reliability issues. But it was a good phone for the time.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
* Country/Provider:

USA / ATT

1st gen IPhone + Samsung A737 (wife)

* Budget (phone/plan):

Budget is not a huge issue. I'd like to move to the HTC Android phones. One Magic and one Dream.

I need the ability to have the HTC Magic setup as a world phone, swapping the SIM cards as I travel (China and USA).

Should/can I import unlocked versions of each phone and sign them up on TMobile? Can I get a good plan by using my own phones? I've not done this type of thing before. I'd rather not have to buy a second phone just for usage on the road.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

mune posted:

I'm not quite sure what I want yet.

You're thinking smartphone. Start thinking unlocked smartphone. It's one of the few Big drat Advantages AT&T has.

While this does put the onus on you to make sure you get 3G that's compatible with the US (Hint: look for UMTS or HSDPA in 850/1900), and to handle any warranty issues yourself or with the manufacturer instead of the carrier, and it does have at least a 200 dollar premium over what the carrier sells for, it also means that your phone's IMEI cluster wouldn't be in the system under 'Charge this poor sod 30 bucks for data' - saving you ~$360 over two years, for a net gain of ~$160.

On top of this, you can use prepaid cellular overseas without having an Old Trek brawl with customer support, since you don't need them to unlock it, and AT&T won't have shat up the interface or filesystem to monetize it. And, in the event you decide to defect to T-Mobile, you don't have to replace your phone right away. (Though you'd eventually want to, because T-Mobile uses 1700+2100 for HSDPA, and finding a phone with all four bands is, I think, still pretty much impossible (or at least would leave a whole hell of a lot to be desired).)

Check GSMarena's list of smartphones that work on AT&T Fast 3G, and come back with a clearer idea of what you want.

(Granted, if you do go with an iPhone, you may as well get it through AT&T and jailbreak that sucker later, since dealing with AT&T is better than dealing with eBay.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 10, 2009

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

:words:

Wow. That's awesome. Thanks so much for being so helpful! I looked at the phones and it seems like the HTC Touch Diamond is one of the highest rated and has what I want.

If I wanted to unlock it, I'd have to go through eBay or something like that, right? Not buy it at an AT & T store. And I'm assuming unlocking's a simple process.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Well, the goal is to buy it unlocked; take AT&T out of the loop entirely until the moment you throw your SIM card into your new phone and make calls or data or whatever with it.

v v v That's the idea. Enjoy.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 11, 2009

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, the goal is to buy it unlocked; take AT&T out of the loop entirely until the moment you throw your SIM card into your new phone and make calls or data or whatever with it.

Well, I found it on Buy.com unlocked: http://www.buy.com/prod/htc-touch-diamond-unlocked-phone/q/loc/12435/209114403.html

It seems like the right phone for me. As long as getting it to work with my phone isn't too big a deal I'll probably place the order tomorrow. Thank you so much for being so helpful. It's hard for me to find a phone I like.

So since it's unlocked I'll get all the benefits of 3G without having to pay the extra data plan? Awesome.

VVVVV Thanks again. You guys have been awesome.

mune fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 11, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Touch Diamond is cheaper through MCO: http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=23369

Also, $393 on Amazon if you don't like import phone shops or whatever.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Country/Provider: USA;New Mexico/Alltel - so I guess Verizon now, no complaints.

Current contract status: Out of Contract. I have no brand loyalties.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: $400 or less for two phones. Plan: $80 or less a month. Between the two us we rarely go over 700 minutes and neither of us texts.

We both currently have LG LGAX275SV, they're phones, they work, although mine is dying.

Features I know I want:

1. The first phone is for my wife. She wants a phone to hold phone numbers and to make calls with, thats it. Texting,data,etc are all unimportant to her.

2. While I lust after an unlocked smart phone, I don't know that I really need one (I have an ipod touch for email, etc). I don't use the camera on the phone I have and I currently only use my phone for phone calls. I'd like something that can be synced to a Microsoft exchange server and that has a qwerty keyboard.

Additionally I'd like to avoid being under contract and It'd be great to have GSM phones.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Country/Provider: USA;New Mexico/Alltel - so I guess Verizon now, no complaints.

Current contract status: Out of Contract. I have no brand loyalties.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: $400 or less for two phones. Plan: $80 or less a month. Between the two us we rarely go over 700 minutes and neither of us texts.

We both currently have LG LGAX275SV, they're phones, they work, although mine is dying.

Features I know I want:

1. The first phone is for my wife. She wants a phone to hold phone numbers and to make calls with, thats it. Texting,data,etc are all unimportant to her.

2. While I lust after an unlocked smart phone, I don't know that I really need one (I have an ipod touch for email, etc). I don't use the camera on the phone I have and I currently only use my phone for phone calls. I'd like something that can be synced to a Microsoft exchange server and that has a qwerty keyboard.

Additionally I'd like to avoid being under contract and It'd be great to have GSM phones.

If you want GSM, you're going to want to switch to AT&T for decent coverage and any hope of 3G in NM.

As for phones, just buy your wife an unlocked cheapie, like a Sony Ericsson w200 or something. For you, if you want a QWERTY phone that can connect to Exchange, you'll probably end up with a Windows Mobile based smartphone. You could probably find a used Blackjack or BJ2 for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

Touch Diamond is cheaper through MCO: http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=23369

Also, $393 on Amazon if you don't like import phone shops or whatever.

I'd love to hear your total cost of ownership opinion now for the various carriers w/ the touch pro (locked & unlocked) vs the contract on the iphone 3g on AT&T.

Way i figure it, with the $99 3g iphone w/ 2yr contract unit available now, the difference stands at around $67 more expensive in 2 yrs over the unlocked Touch Pro on AT&T. Other carriers i'm not so sure ( you know way more about sprint plans than I do.)

I think the various handsets have a lot to offer, but I can state that the iphone app and dev support, a 40,000,000 device install base (between itouch and the phone) leave it to be a really fun option. And if you've played w/ jailbreaking yet, there's a lot of great flexible things people do w/ the unofficial platform that don't feel restricted at all.