Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

stun runner posted:

Does anyone ITT use Ampeg SVX for bass modeling on a computer? I'm having trouble getting sounds that aren't super muddy.

I've fooled around with it a bit but unfortunately had somewhat of the same problem as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
It's weird because it has a lot of good reviews and there are plenty of good-sounding clips of it on the 'net but everything I come up with sounds really kind of bad. Maybe I should be asking Agreed in his thread.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
No experience with that program but got some experience with SVTs... What settings do you have on it?

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pantsfish posted:

I'm going to go ahead and resurrect this thread in the name of finding me some more songs to learn by ear. I just figured out all of Dinosaur Jr. - In a Jar (and I'm pretty proud of myself), so if anyone familiar with that tune can name me something similar I would appreciate it. In general I'm looking for something with some variety and complexity without being retarded difficult or lacking in structure.

Thanks guys :) And thanks again to Scarf for recommending Lakland products. I feel like the bass alone made me better.

Lou Barlow's band Sebadoh is full of Dino J-esque basslines. I say pick up the album "III" and play along - if you can do In A Jar you probably won't have much trouble.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I didn't even see this thread when I just made this post in the guitar thread. I guess it won't hurt to copy and paste it here.

Phillyt posted:

As someone who wants to get into bass guitar but doesn't have a lot of space, how can I use my computer and computer speakers as an "amp". I know a variety of products exist that let me record but is there a way to set up my computer so that I can plug my bass guitar or regular guitar into a box or something and play around with different effects and amp sounds without having to record it? I have seen those Line 6 Pod Studio's and some M-Audio FireWire stuff. If it makes any difference, I have a Mac.

Also, an unrelated question but is there a really highly recommended beginner bass guitar? I was looking at this guitar: Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Bass Guitar. People have said it's easy to play and is very balanced in sound so I can play a variety of musical styles.

Thanks for the help Musician's Lounge :).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Phillyt posted:

I didn't even see this thread when I just made this post in the guitar thread. I guess it won't hurt to copy and paste it here.

In regards to the Epi Les Paul... Where did you hear it was versatile? I've had some experience with it and it's pretty much like most other Gibson/Epiphone basses: Kind of muddy and well suited for rock. Granted you can play pretty much anything you want with it, but I wouldn't really call it versatile.

The quality is decent for that price-point. But for someone who wants to play a wide variety of music, I'd recommend some type of Jazz bass. Either a Squier VM Jazz or a Rondo. Or a used Mexican Fender Jazz.

Cortel
Sep 9, 2008
Oh cool, someone rez'd this thread! I'm just getting into playing bass and I really like it. I found someone to show me how to play a bit and he taught me Sunshine of Your Love (which was actually pretty easy) and then Money (which was quite a bit harder).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I suppose Money might be a bit trickier due to it being in 7/4.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I struggled with Money a lot when I was just starting out and had a load of trouble with the octave jump cos it took a long time for my little finger to start working properly (also tiny hands), so I put it aside until I got that problem sorted, picked it up a few months later and it came pretty quickly.

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen
Hey guys, I have a gift certificate to musician's friend and I am looking to purchase a bass for about $300 or less.... I play mainly rock music if that means anything (Punk, Classic Rock, metal), but might want to learn a little bit of slap for the novelty of it. Here's a list of basses available:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/4-string-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+306313&Ns=P_Price|0&rpp=60

I was looking at the Vintage Squiers, the Peaveys, and the Epiphone SG and Thunderbird models. Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Heatmonger posted:

Hey guys, I have a gift certificate to musician's friend and I am looking to purchase a bass for about $300 or less.... I play mainly rock music if that means anything (Punk, Classic Rock, metal), but might want to learn a little bit of slap for the novelty of it. Here's a list of basses available:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/4-string-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+306313&Ns=P_Price|0&rpp=60

I was looking at the Vintage Squiers, the Peaveys, and the Epiphone SG and Thunderbird models. Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks!

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or P-bass will be your best bet imo. Or if you get a bit more cash together, the Classic Vibe Squiers have been getting great reviews as well.

Jazz will give you more versatility. P-bass is def. more rock suited though. But the Jazz can get an approximate P tone if you EQ it right.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Heatmonger posted:

Owning an Epiphone SG, I can tell you it doesn't slap very well. Others might correct me on this, but it's basically just not a sound that works well with humbuckers. Due to these same pickups, as well, your sound will be mostly restricted to rock.

You can still slap with it, or do non-rock, of course, it just won't sound as good as something with J pickups. I'm sure someone else can give you more info on those, as I'm just fine with my SG for now. :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Owning an Epiphone SG, I can tell you it doesn't slap very well. Others might correct me on this, but it's basically just not a sound that works well with humbuckers. Due to these same pickups, as well, your sound will be mostly restricted to rock.

You can still slap with it, or do non-rock, of course, it just won't sound as good as something with J pickups. I'm sure someone else can give you more info on those, as I'm just fine with my SG for now. :)

It's not the humbucker. Hell, EBMM Stingrays are the quintessential slap-machines and all they have is a humbucker. It's the position of the pickup that makes the most difference, imo.

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen

Jan posted:

Wow, you guys are quick. I'm not really married to the idea of slap, I just thought it might be nice to throw into the mix now and again. I typically play with a pick but I'm looking to diversify a bit.

Scarf posted:

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or P-bass will be your best bet imo. Or if you get a bit more cash together, the Classic Vibe Squiers have been getting great reviews as well.

Jazz will give you more versatility. P-bass is def. more rock suited though. But the Jazz can get an approximate P tone if you EQ it right.

I've heard good things about these and read some great reviews on websites, but it's still hard for me to get past the Squier name.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Heatmonger posted:

I've heard good things about these and read some great reviews on websites, but it's still hard for me to get past the Squier name.

Trust me... I used to be the most adamant Anti-Squier person out there. But they've really stepped things up (along with Fender itself as well) in terms of quality.

I'm not going to try and argue that I'd rather play a Squier over my Lakland, but if I only had that kind of budget, a Squier VM or CV would be what I'd go for.

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks
Excuse these lame questions in advance, I pretty much know what to expect asking this in a Bass thread but would like some elaboration.

How "fun" is bass for you? When you play by yourself, do you really get into it and like how everything sounds and enjoy playing different stuff? Or is it more like, you enjoy being a good bass player and a reliable one for the guitar players...

Is bass something I can enjoy playing and learning new things about and new songs and bass lines?

What do YOU find fun about playing bass? That's really all I want to know.

I'm considering picking it up because my sister has one lying around the house un-used but for infrequent lessons she gives (she has played stand up bass for like 7 or 8 years).

I tried playing guitar but gave up too easily because I was young, and now I have an itch to pick up an instrument to learn in my freetime.

Okay last question in way too long of a post, are books and videos (online or otherwise) sufficient to learn the basics of bass and at least start feeling like you're playing it decently?

Heatmonger
Dec 1, 2007

Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen

Jan posted:

So how does it actually do for rock? I was looking pretty hard at an Epiphone Thunderbird earlier.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

bitches aint poo poo posted:

Excuse these lame questions in advance, I pretty much know what to expect asking this in a Bass thread but would like some elaboration.

How "fun" is bass for you? When you play by yourself, do you really get into it and like how everything sounds and enjoy playing different stuff? Or is it more like, you enjoy being a good bass player and a reliable one for the guitar players...

Is bass something I can enjoy playing and learning new things about and new songs and bass lines?

I'm considering picking it up because my sister has one lying around the house un-used but for infrequent lessons she gives (she has played stand up bass for like 7 or 8 years).

I tried playing guitar but gave up too easily because I was young, and now I have an itch to pick up an instrument to learn in my freetime.

Okay last question in way too long of a post, are books and videos (online or otherwise) sufficient to learn the basics of bass and at least start feeling like you're playing it decently?

I played guitar on and off for about 4 years before finally just dropping it all together because I'd always find myself hitting the same walls and just plain not carrying enough to push on through.

Within about an hour of playing my first bass I knew I'd be playing it for the rest of my life! The frequencies I was playing just kind of resonated with me; I could just pluck one note at the 9th fret and marvel at the buzz that would ring out. Its extremely responsive to your play style; I could just chug away at one note for like an hour and have fun just finding little ways to flair it up.

As far as in relation to the guitar player - a friend of mine started with the guitar right around the time I started on the bass, and I find more often than not he'll play along with me as opposed to me complimenting him. The bass just kind of dominates in a personal setting; unlike your car stereo which will lose just about all the bass, in real life it will just slay the listener, it's AWESOME just cranking it up and shaking the house.

I spent my first 6 months learning primarily from books - Bass Fitness and 30 Day Bass Workout were integral to my learning process (Bass Fitness in particular). When I really got into playing songs I found that my dexterity and speed were improved drastically by just doing some basic exercises for 20-30 minutes a day in between noodling.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax

Just personal annecdotes here. I think bass is fun to learn because it's much more immediate than guitar, there's a much faster sense of progress (though it does tend to plateau whereas with guitar there's a much more constant progression, or a chance for one at least.) If you can convince your sister to teach you the basics you'd probably be able to get good reasonably quickly.

Another element I really enjoy is that it's a far more sociable instrument, once you get a reasonable level of skill you'll be far more motivated to go out and find a band to play in (and bands are generally more keen on a bass player, rather than a failed guitarist) because a huge part of the fun is locking in with a drummer.

You don't get quite as many terrible bedroom bassists as you do bedroom guitarists largely because of this in my opinion.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay
I just picked up a bass for the first time about a week ago('89 Peavey Foundation S, I'm in love with it) and it's already more fun than guitar ever was loving around with it for a couple years. There is nothing like cranking the amp up and shaking the walls. It doesn't even matter if you're playing anythng, as has been said. Just plucking the same note and letting it resonate over and over again is awesome. It's also really improved my sense of rhythm already. I never really "felt" music before, but playing along to the bassline in a song just makes it seem so easy and natural. I doubt I'll ever touch another insrument.

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks
Thanks for the replies guys, one more question.

What online resources (free) do you or did you use to learn bass? Were there any particularly good sites that taught beginning level bass? I ask because I don't have this summer to go see an actual teacher, although my sister will always be around and is a great resource. I will mostly be teaching myself though. I know there are a ton of programs (I would pay for a good recommended bass program) for guitar, but I can't seem to find any for bass.

Any other resources?

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/default.asp is probably the best resource you can find for your money (besides a good teacher). Once again I recommend Bass Fitness and 30 Day Bass Workout. If you're in for the long haul then EADG4 (bass textbook) is almost a must; it's extremely dense and confusing at first, but you're unlikely to ever find a better theory book out there.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thanks for the replies guys, one more question.

What online resources (free) do you or did you use to learn bass? Were there any particularly good sites that taught beginning level bass? I ask because I don't have this summer to go see an actual teacher, although my sister will always be around and is a great resource. I will mostly be teaching myself though. I know there are a ton of programs (I would pay for a good recommended bass program) for guitar, but I can't seem to find any for bass.

Any other resources?

http://wheatsbassbook.org/

Bass is incredibly fun for me. It just depends on how suited you are to grooving. I played guitar for close 12 years before I picked up bass, and it just seemed so much more of a 'natural' instrument for me. Suited my style and what I wanted to do so much more.

Most people are either rhythmically driven or melody driven in their music. I'm the former...

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks
Is rhythm something you can learn? I have never been involved in anything musically except for 5th grade which doesn't count, so I have never really been challenged to keep a beat or rhythm. I'm hoping it's something I can learn to do.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Is rhythm something you can learn? I have never been involved in anything musically except for 5th grade which doesn't count, so I have never really been challenged to keep a beat or rhythm. I'm hoping it's something I can learn to do.

Rhythm, yes. It can be learned. Groove, however, is arguably something you're born with. At least in my opinion.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Is there any practice bass amp for the beginner that is recommended around here? I was looking at these three in ascending price:
Peavey MAX 126 Bass Practice Amp - $69.99
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Practice Amp - $99.99
Marshall MB15 Bass Combo Amp - $139.99

I really haven't been able to find a highly recommended cheap practice amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Phillyt posted:

Is there any practice bass amp for the beginner that is recommended around here? I was looking at these three in ascending price:
Peavey MAX 126 Bass Practice Amp - $69.99
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Practice Amp - $99.99
Marshall MB15 Bass Combo Amp - $139.99

I really haven't been able to find a highly recommended cheap practice amp.

It'll cost you probably $200 or so, but you may want to check out a Roland Micro Bass Cube amp.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Bass-RX-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=483095

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Scarf posted:

It'll cost you probably $200 or so, but you may want to check out a Roland Micro Bass Cube amp.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Bass-RX-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=483095

What's so special about this one?

Edit: It's more expensive than my actual bass guitar :(. I'm probably going to go with the $99 Peavey.

Phillyt fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 17, 2009

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Bass is all about grooving with the flow of the song and with the drummer, guitarists and whomever. Doing that is what I love best about playing bass. Locking in with a drummer is also a real good feeling.

I played along with songs, read Wheat's Bass Book, and tried to jam with my friends when I was learning how to play bass. Now I've picked up some book to learn from after 2 and a half years, that also helps alot, should have done it sooner!

bitches aint shit
Jul 4, 2007
but hoes and tricks

Doomy posted:

Bass is all about grooving with the flow of the song and with the drummer, guitarists and whomever. Doing that is what I love best about playing bass. Locking in with a drummer is also a real good feeling.

I played along with songs, read Wheat's Bass Book, and tried to jam with my friends when I was learning how to play bass. Now I've picked up some book to learn from after 2 and a half years, that also helps alot, should have done it sooner!

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice. It sounds like you have never had a teacher or anything, is this true?

If so, how has it been teaching yourself from books/websites? So far I actually enjoy it, I can do stuff on my own time at my own pace. Also, I've only been practicing for about a week or so now but it's longer than I have ever felt interested in trying an instrument and I'm really enjoying it.

Do you have any recommendations on books to purchase? Right now I'm alternating between Wheat's and StudyBass.com for the exercises and very basics.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

No I've never had a teacher, just patient (very patient!) friends willing to show me things here and there. Plus absolutely tons of time jamming. Once you can do anything at all I highly recommend playing with people, because you start to get a feel for harmonies between bass and guitars, and a feeling for the beat and rythym with drums. Puts all that theory you read to practice, and it makes it fun to actually learn what's going on. Gives you an incentive to keep up those exercises. Oh yea, https://www.metronomeonline.com is important, very very important! Or at least a drum machine! http://www.cyberfretbass.com/jam-zone/index.php has some basic drum loops.

There's plenty of information out there, StudyBass.com is one thing I used too.

One book I'd take a look at is Bass Guitar for Dummies by Patrick Pfeiffer. It comes with CD with all the examples from the book. It has examples of a lot of different types of music like rock, blues, jazz, funk, r&b, other international things like bossa nova and afro-cuban. I've had it since last December, and I've worked my way through maybe a third of it. Even has basic maintanance how-to, so you can figure how to set up your own instrument to your liking as you develop a sense of what you like and what you don't. I highly recommend it because it's straightforward, and it's really meant for someone who knows nothing but has a desire to learn.

Doomy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 18, 2009

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Seeing as how we're all always learning how to play a little better, and because buying things is the most important part of being a bass player, I thought I'd share the latest addition to my stable--- another GS112 to give me a great portable ministack.

Current DC rig: Aguilar AG500SC, Aggie GS112, Aggie GS112NT, and then obviously the rack tuner and power conditioner.

I can't recommend Aguilar stuff enough. Disregard the mess of posters and shoe boxes around it, as well as the fact that it's a cheap camera phone pic.

Now to be able to play well enough to deserve the rig. Ah, the catch.

Indi86 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 18, 2009

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Scarf posted:

These amplifiers are brilliant, amazing, and astounding. I would recommend one to anyone out there. Also, I just discovered this thread, and if anyone has any dealer-ish questions, I worked in a shop (not a loving megastore, a legit shop where we did our own repairs and everything) for a few years and was pretty deep in it.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Soopafly posted:

These amplifiers are brilliant, amazing, and astounding. I would recommend one to anyone out there. Also, I just discovered this thread, and if anyone has any dealer-ish questions, I worked in a shop (not a loving megastore, a legit shop where we did our own repairs and everything) for a few years and was pretty deep in it.

I recently bought an acoustic bass, and the 5th and 8th frets have some nasty buzz when I'm using a pick. Should I bring this into a shop or is there a safe/easy home remedy to deal with it?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Soopafly posted:

Well do you recommend spending more on my amp than my guitar? I plan on getting the Ibanez GSR200 which is 199.99 at GuitarCenter and those amps are in the $200's.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

UkraineGirls posted:

I recently bought an acoustic bass, and the 5th and 8th frets have some nasty buzz when I'm using a pick. Should I bring this into a shop or is there a safe/easy home remedy to deal with it?

The frets are probably uneven. You can use the method below to check if they are uneven. However, you don't have to do anything crazy to fix it like it says. The best / cheapest method is to get something like a dowel rod (round chunk of wood, about the width of a drumstick) and a hammer. Put the rod on the fret that is too high and causing the buzz, and hit the rod with a hammer. (VERY GENTLY) Repeat until the fret is even. To prevent loving anything else up, make sure that the neck is stabilized, and put a brace right under the spot you are hammering. (like the really lovely text graphic shows, left is headstock, right is body)

____!
<---------(-----)
____^____________

Phillyt posted:

Well do you recommend spending more on my amp than my guitar? I plan on getting the Ibanez GSR200 which is 199.99 at GuitarCenter and those amps are in the $200's.

First off, I wouldn't recommend GuitarCenter. Local businesses will charge a little more, but will service you for free most of the time, and they do a setup on all instruments to make sure there isn't any fret buzz out of the factory, which GuitarCenter doesn't. However, if you're really strapped for cash, and don't want to deal with nice, knowledgeable people, then it's okay.

As for the price, it depends on what you're going to use the amp for. If you're just going to be playing by yourself in your own house, and you don't need effects or anything fancy, then just go cheap and used. If you want cool effects and need some extra oomph, then the cube will work well. If you want to play with other people, you're going to need a lot more than just the cube. I recommend just looking at your budget, and then setting aside an afternoon to just go play at a store and find out which ones work best for your needs. (Also, local stores are better than guitar center because there aren't a million loving people playing Enter Sandman at the same goddamn time)

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Soopafly posted:

First off, I wouldn't recommend GuitarCenter. Local businesses will charge a little more, but will service you for free most of the time, and they do a setup on all instruments to make sure there isn't any fret buzz out of the factory, which GuitarCenter doesn't. However, if you're really strapped for cash, and don't want to deal with nice, knowledgeable people, then it's okay.

As for the price, it depends on what you're going to use the amp for. If you're just going to be playing by yourself in your own house, and you don't need effects or anything fancy, then just go cheap and used. If you want cool effects and need some extra oomph, then the cube will work well. If you want to play with other people, you're going to need a lot more than just the cube. I recommend just looking at your budget, and then setting aside an afternoon to just go play at a store and find out which ones work best for your needs. (Also, local stores are better than guitar center because there aren't a million loving people playing Enter Sandman at the same goddamn time)

I appreciate the advice. There is a local shop here and I'll go over to them when I have the money ready. However, my problem is that I don't know anything about playing the bass or even what I really need in terms of an amp. I just want something that sounds decent, is inexpensive and allows me to practice in my room.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay
I don't know how stupid it is to buy a used instrument/equipment with no knowledge, but I got a pretty sweet older bass and a like new Fender Rumble 100 for less than $400 total by going used and I haven't had any problems. I'd at least check out what's available in your area in wanted ads/craiglist. With the economy so lovely people are unloading some crazy stuff for next to nothing. I saw a $10,000 rig on craigslist for $2,500 and it looked completely legit.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
Personally I think that when you're just starting out (if that is the case with yourself) then as long as the amp works you can get away with getting the cheapest one available to you.

Infact even now that I'm better and have "proper" gear I never buy an expensive pratice amp, I just save that money for my main amp or my bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah, once you start playing with guitars and drums and whatever, I don't see anything wrong with using an amp that costs more than your bass.

One of those roland cubes would be good though, because it has the effects so you can gently caress around with them without having to buy a stand alone pedal or a multi effects.