Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

Grater posted:

After all that I'm pretty sure I could have wrangled a better deal but I was satisfied.

You only get to use that joke once, I hope it was worth it. Welcome to the Wrangler club. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
^^I was wondering when someone would catch that. :)

Grater fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 9, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
:mad:

I like to slap the idiot who engineered the front bumper on the JK. I had to replace a friends front plastic cladding, and instead of taking the 4 outer trim bolts and nutserts out and popping the plastic off and putting on the new bumper, you have to remove the air drat with it's plastic on plastic screws, disconnect the fog light harness, unbolt the tow hooks/bumper mounts and shims, remove lights, etc.

The way the plastic is molded you can't just bolt it onto the truck, because the tow hooks are in the way. Since the tow hooks and the bumper mounting brackets are the same you pretty much have to disassemble everything.

At least next time we touch it, it'll be to install a nice solid aftermarket bumper. gently caress that plastic cladding bullshit.

It could be worse, at least I had access to both sides of most of the bolts, unlike on Ford trucks or SUV's.

I'm spoiled by older trucks I swear.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Hey why would anybody ever want to remove a bumper unless the truck is totaled or if it's done by a body shop, right?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I took my rear seat out along with the rails the seat mounts to. Now I have a goddamn loud rear end annoying squeak.

I can only imagine that those rails provided some sort of support to that area of the body.

First I will try washers under the bolts and see if that changes anything, then if it doesn't I'll rig up a similar sized hunk of flat metal and bolt that in the seat rails place.

I couldn't SEE anything but the squeak is coming from the body itself.

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

The only reason to watch...
I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee and I need to recharge my AC before I go to Florida next week. Which port do I use, I found three of them one with a green cap, and two with a black cap. Also what all would I need to do this on the cheap?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Got my Rough Country 2.5" (pucks along with Shock extension/relo brackets) lift yesterday (only 2 days to ship!) and I have my Rubi Ultd springs/shocks ready to go. Other folks who have used this combo are averaging 3.5"-4" when complete.

Never done a lift before so.... Am I going to have to worry about drive line geometry or any other 'gotchas' I have to keep in mind? Sway bars? Track bars?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
From the HOLY gently caress FILES:
http://blog.streetfire.net/2009/06/wrangler-with-a-twin-turbo-viper-motor.aspx

V10 Twin Turbo Wrangler.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I took my rear seat out along with the rails the seat mounts to. Now I have a goddamn loud rear end annoying squeak.

I've taken mine out and didn't have this problem. They don't provide support to anything as far as I can tell.

quote:

Never done a lift before so.... Am I going to have to worry about drive line geometry or any other 'gotchas' I have to keep in mind? Sway bars? Track bars?

I don't know much about what happens with the JK when you get to 2.5", but with the TJ at that point you're usually looking at, depending on exactly how the lift settles:

- Adjustable track bar, either front or rear depending on how the axles center - when you raise the frame up from the axle with a suspension lift, the track bar's throw shortens and it begins to force the axle to one side. Before you install the lift, you want to locate the axle's center point. Do this however you can: maybe put up a straightedge against the tire and measure it against the wheelwell, or any other way you can figure out. If either of the axles shift more than a half inch, you probably need an adjustable track bar on that axle to get it back to center. Several companies also make a track bar relocating bracket that bolt onto the axle-side track bar mount, raising the track bar up several inches and returning it to stock geometry. These are usually a whole lot cheaper than an adjustable bar.
- Transfer case drop or CV-style rear driveshaft that uses U-joints. 2.5" is about where vibrations start to happen in the very short rear driveshaft. If you don't have any vibrations that aren't solved after an alignment, don't worry. Otherwise, you'll need to either lessen the driveline angle, or install the CV-style shaft that has a dual U-joint carrier on the transfer case end. I looked up the stock JK driveshaft and it is a typical weak tulip-style CV joint. Even if you don't have driveline angle problems with it, I'd suggest that you replace it at some point with a stronger driveshaft that uses U-joints.
- Sway bar end links. Better check another Jeep forum for this info. The TJ had a problem with the stock sway bar links starting to bind up and fail after around 3" of lift - they were a weak little ball joint with a small range of travel. The usual fix is to just replace them with aftermarket disconnectable links that have a greater range of available joint travel, as well as allowing you to disconnect the sway bar for greater flex. I know the JK Rubicon has electronic disconnecting swaybars, but I'm pretty sure that they're only an option on lower models.

Good luck getting the pucks onto the spring buckets.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 11, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

incredibull posted:

Hey why would anybody ever want to remove a bumper unless the truck is totaled or if it's done by a body shop, right?

Why would anyone have plastic on a bumper to begin with :bahgawd:

I'm sure there's a reason, they probably wanted to make sure the cladding doesn't fly off in a collision if it's held on by 4 nutserts. The way it is now if the 4 nuts come out, the bumper cladding will still hang in place.

I was going to suggest it was a service conspiracy in order to pad hours on something that's mundane, but with a lift and tools, you can still do the job under an hour and that's the minimum a dealer will charge anyways so that can't be it.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

V10 Twin Turbo Wrangler.

How hard is that swap to do... I wonder.

Is there a lot of computerized controls with the Viper engines? ECM and the works? I wonder what t-case/transmission he's using, as that will be one mean differential and axle cracking machine.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 11, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

BigKOfJustice posted:

Why would anyone have plastic on a bumper to begin with :bahgawd:

These are the same people that made the 2WD Wrangler. :911:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

These are the same people that made the 2WD Wrangler. :911:

That blew my mind when I found out... I never knew they made 2wd for sale to the public until I saw a new 4dr like that.

WTF?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd buy one if it was a good bit cheaper than a 4x4. Living in Florida and cruising the around the beaches there's no need for 4wd. There's a lot of them in FL. Most Wranglers never go off pavement anyway.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

leica posted:

I'd buy one if it was a good bit cheaper than a 4x4. Living in Florida and cruising the around the beaches there's no need for 4wd. There's a lot of them in FL. Most Wranglers never go off pavement anyway.

Yeah, exactly. Probably a solid 30% of Wrangler buyers will never NEED 4wd. Note that you don't NEED 4wd for snow in most areas of the country, there are plows, it doesn't get that deep (and frankly, without lockers you will only get slightly farther with 4WD than 2WD in deep snow.)

Don't forget the DJ. It was available to the general public, through special order.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

DILLIGAF posted:

Got my Rough Country 2.5" (pucks along with Shock extension/relo brackets) lift yesterday (only 2 days to ship!) and I have my Rubi Ultd springs/shocks ready to go. Other folks who have used this combo are averaging 3.5"-4" when complete.

In addition to what incredibull said, what you're looking for on your driveline is a slip-yoke eliminator (SYE). I don't know if the JKs need/use them but YJs and TJs do. It basically bolts onto your transfer case output and allows you to attach a U-joint carrier instead of having the splined driveshaft end slip in and out of the yoke.

Not only does it help eliminate vibrations, but if you ever break something you can take the rear driveshaft out and not have to worry about pissing t-case fluid everywhere, so you can just drive home with the front wheels.

Also that V10 YJ is just plain awesome.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I can only imagine that those rails provided some sort of support to that area of the body.

First I will try washers under the bolts and see if that changes anything, then if it doesn't I'll rig up a similar sized hunk of flat metal and bolt that in the seat rails place.

I couldn't SEE anything but the squeak is coming from the body itself.

You want the low pressure port. I've got a 2000 cherokee and for me it's virtually on the compressor on the input side. It has a black cap.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
BEEP BEEP

:(

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

ph4lcon posted:

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee and I need to recharge my AC before I go to Florida next week. Which port do I use, I found three of them one with a green cap, and two with a black cap. Also what all would I need to do this on the cheap?

Usually green caps are evap system, black is A/C. I don't know if that is universal, but it has been on the few cars I've owned with A/C.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
In looking for rear bumper/tire carriers the kind I like the most have "non rated" hitches. Now these bumpers have nearly twice as many mounting points and frame tie ins, why the "non rated" hitch?

I ask because I won't tow boats or poo poo like that but may tow a small trailer now and then. Would that be acceptable with one of these non rated hitches?

N/M I found something I think I am going to go with that is rated, and will have the same ability.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 12, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Most aftermarket bumpers aren't rated due to liability reasons which is why they are usually just called 'recovery points'. No one's going to make a Class III hitch rated for 5000 lbs and say "Yeah, you can use this on a TJ" just because the mounts are identical. I've noticed all of the stuff worth buying comes from the small-time fab guys anyway; they'd be crazy to put any sort of towing numbers out there on their stuff.

A small trailer should be fine if it has enough mounting points or ties in high enough into the frame. When I had my YJ, I used to tow around two full size jet skis just about every weekend during the summer.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ph4lcon posted:

The compressor has two hoses coming out of it, a skinny hose (high pressure) and a fat hose (low pressure) that connects to a tank near your firewall. On my 98 Cherokee the port you're looking for is on the fat hose itself right before it connects to the tank, but even if it isn't, it will be on something connected to the fat hose. Don't touch the port on the skinny hose and you'll be fine.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

If any of you are in the Charlotte area, there is a Meet & Greet at Keffer Jeep @ 12 tomorrow. Supposed to be vendor displays, free food etc.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I just ordered my spring spacers to raise the front, quick mirrors for no tickets and a rear bumper. Next I need to figure out if I want 4 new dunlops or 3 new wrangler mts and use my never used spare.

I cant wait for my poo poo to be there like this when I get home. (ignore internet memeage)

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Front and rear bumpers came in today, and I can't get the stock ones off. Not PB Buster, nor breaker-bar, nor torch-heating. I'm convinced the bolts are now a permanent part of the frame. Going to let a shop tomorrow crank them off.

ColdCaustic
Apr 18, 2003
¡ÚÒ¦×û¡Û
Love Jeeps. Owned several XJs and ZJs. Currently a stockish 99 XJ.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
ATTENTION ATTENTION.

If you are wanting to buy some jeep parts this weekend is a good time to try and get some poo poo from 4wd.com.

Use the coupon code of SAVEBIG and get up to 20% off everything sitewide. There's also double rebates on some wheels and tires, and I think a lot of poo poo also has free UPS ground shipping.

I finally ordered poo poo i was waiting to find on sale and with the discount and free shipping I made out pretty loving well.

This offer ends Monday June 15th at Midnight PST.

GET YER GODDAMN PARTS.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 13, 2009

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

ATTENTION ATTENTION.

If you are wanting to buy some jeep parts this weekend is a good time to try and get some poo poo from 4wd.com.

Use the coupon code of SAVEBIG and get up to 20% off everything sitewide. There's also double rebates on some wheels and tires, and I think a lot of poo poo also has free UPS ground shipping.

I finally ordered poo poo i was waiting to find on sale and with the discount and free shipping I made out pretty loving well.

This offer ends Monday June 15th at Midnight PST.

GET YER GODDAMN PARTS.

Cool... I was heading over to their local store after the M&G today, going to pickup some extended bump stops.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

chocmilkrush posted:

Just got some 31" tires and wheels.

Here are some crappy camera phone pics:

Any rubbing issues? I am wanting to put some 31's on my 96 V8 ZJ but it will be a long time before I have the spare cash for a lift.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

leica posted:

Tell that to the RWD XTerra that couldn't get itself off a grass incline (parked nose down) at a park I was at in Tampa yesterday. If my RWD BMW can get off the same hill parked the same way, that's just sad. Also doesn't 2WD tank your resale value relative to 4WD?

traction control what up

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
For driving on or near beaches: As a FL resident who's driven in soft sand I must say I wouldn't take anything 2WD near sand. That's how I got one vehicle stuck and another one almost stuck trying to pull my Cherokee out of some mud.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Any recommendations on side-mirror mounts for a YJ? I'd like to stay legal if I take the doors off this summer. :)

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

ATTENTION ATTENTION.

If I get recommendations to the above, I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Finally got my top off for the first time today. I would have done it sooner but I didn't get my soft top until last week and the weather hasn't been nice enough to put it on yet.

I picked up a Bestop Trektop, I'm about to install it, I'll let you all know how it goes.

EDIT: Added link: http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=75

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Install of the TrekTop is all done. Aside from some slightly vague instructions it went well. I have only driven around the block with it but so far it's decent. I'll know more in the next few days.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Went to the Meet & Greet at Keffer Dodge/Jeep. Nice to put some faces with the names I have been interacting with on the web.

I have uploaded 60+ pictures here:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/preacherspulpit/Jeep/Keffer/?start=all

I thought I would share a couple of cool older Jeeps.

And this old willys

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

evilnissan posted:

Any rubbing issues? I am wanting to put some 31's on my 96 V8 ZJ but it will be a long time before I have the spare cash for a lift.

I have the upcountry package giving it a 1" factory lift and I sawz-alled some of the inside of the front bumper to get rid of the rubbing. You might not have as good of luck but you can get some 3/4"-2" budget boost coil spacers to lift your jeep for only a few bucks to fit the tires. You could probably get away with just 3/4" spacers.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?kw=coil+spacers+zj&submit=Go
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1
http://www.extremegearoffroad.com/store/home.php?cat=340

There is a chart from ZJ FAQs section of jeepforums at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134378

I would upload the chart but waffleimages does not seem to be working right now.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Sasquatch! posted:

Any recommendations on side-mirror mounts for a YJ? I'd like to stay legal if I take the doors off this summer. :)

If I get recommendations to the above, I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

I'm going with

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4993

But with a YJ, I had black aftermarket hinges that have the 4 holes for CJ style mirrors. I ran those and took the mirrors of the full steel doors.

You can also drill the holes and mount the cj style mirrors. NC only requires a driver side exterior mirror and that's all I used, I hate the CJ style passenger mirror.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question: I'm thinking of throwing a new set of wheels and tires on my Jeep here soon. I've been thinking about the Crager soft 8s (since their cheap). Whats the difference between 17"x8" and 17"x9's?? Will one accept a bigger tire than the other??

edit: Its an 08 JK.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

spiralbrain posted:

Question: I'm thinking of throwing a new set of wheels and tires on my Jeep here soon. I've been thinking about the Crager soft 8s (since their cheap). Whats the difference between 17"x8" and 17"x9's?? Will one accept a bigger tire than the other??

The number after the x (17x8/9) tells you how wide the wheel is. The wider the wheel, the wider the tire you can put on there. I think the widest you can safely go on an 8" wide is like 12.5"?

I am sure someone will correct me about the max size if I am way off base.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

spiralbrain posted:

The general idea is that you don't want your tire to be more than 4 inches wider than the wheel. However, a lot of people on jeepforums prefer the 8" wide tires over going to 10" for off roading on their 12.5" wide tires.

For you, you should probably go for the 8" wide wheel if your tire is around 10" wide. You don't want the wheel to be as wide as the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Makes sense. Thanks.