Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I wonder what Xykons strength score is, he tosses people around and kills with his bare hands more then spells so what is the deal with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

Olanphonia posted:

So, I guess the monster is finally coming out of the box? Or he could just shuffle around inside the box and do whatever it is Xykon wants him to do.

Hey, it worked for Snake in the Metal-Gear games.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
I think being a lich automatically turns your hands into natural weapons, which he sorta of referenced by telling V he has magic AND the ability to crush her windpipe.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

bison wings posted:

I think being a lich automatically turns your hands into natural weapons, which he sorta of referenced by telling V he has magic AND the ability to crush her windpipe.

Becoming a Lich also gives you crazy bonuses to pretty much all of your stats. Taking into account that he's level 30, once beat someone to death with an improvised weapon, and can lift giant slabs of stone, his STR is probably 20, or higher.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

NutShellBill posted:

Becoming a Lich also gives you crazy bonuses to pretty much all of your stats. Taking into account that he's level 30, once beat someone to death with an improvised weapon, and can lift giant slabs of stone, his STR is probably 20, or higher.

Liches get +2 Int/Wis/Cha and get paralyzing touch, but no other natural weapons. In that he's epic and a +5 book and +6 to all stats item are really cheap (and we can be pretty certain he's been fiddling with some epic item creation, too, since he has an item that makes him immune to fire), he probably does have a 20+ strength anyway.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
That is some Epic-level threatening of Redcloak, too. Awesome.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

NutShellBill posted:

...once beat someone to death with an improvised weapon...

When did he do that as a lich? I remember him doing that as a human in Start of Darkness.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Kuroshi posted:

When did he do that as a lich? I remember him doing that as a human in Start of Darkness.

He killed Roy's dad's mentor as a human in SoD , and when you think about it, that trophy couldn't have been much more than a d4 weapon, probably less. It definitely suggests that even in his advanced years, Xykon had around 10 STR, maybe more, even with the penalties for aging.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Olanphonia posted:

So, I guess the monster is finally coming out of the box? Or he could just shuffle around inside the box and do whatever it is Xykon wants him to do.
They have a Hello Cthulhu umbrella that casts magical darkness over the monster, so I doubt that even if he's not confined to the box anymore, we still won't see him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sefer posted:

Liches get +2 Int/Wis/Cha and get paralyzing touch, but no other natural weapons. In that he's epic and a +5 book and +6 to all stats item are really cheap (and we can be pretty certain he's been fiddling with some epic item creation, too, since he has an item that makes him immune to fire), he probably does have a 20+ strength anyway.
All undead get a generic Slam attack based on size, though.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

A tiny little observation.

Tsukiko's shoes are colored the same as her eyes.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So the sum total of V's accomplishments this arc are:
-Losing his soul for, oh, let's say 3 hours to three demons whenever the hell they feel like it.
-Letting loose two epic-level evil ghosts.
-Getting Xykon off his rear end and back in world-conquering mode.
-Freeing O-chul (okay, 1 out of 4 isn't bad).

Nice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

404GoonNotFound posted:

-Losing his soul for, oh, let's say 3 hours to three demons whenever the hell they feel like it.

Nice.

Three. Three epic-level ghosts.

Though the IFCC did say they'd go round Haerta back up. I assume they'd do the same for the other two.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nice.

Killing of a very large % of black dragons. Teleporting the azurites to a haven. Getting the band back together.

Unless this arc only counts as when he left the party. In which case the 2 is correct for the spirits as #3 was loosed prior to that.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
He didn't get the band back together, they did that on their own

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

Three. Three epic-level ghosts.

Though the IFCC did say they'd go round Haerta back up. I assume they'd do the same for the other two.

Oh yeah, I assumed he just got sucked back to the lower planes when V failed the Will roll, compared to the other two getting intentionally severed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Whuh? He failed a Will roll here, too. You know, after getting bashed by a giant rock.

What he did: He killed off a huge number of black dragons, saved the Azure Citizens' collective arse, he managed to get Xykon's phylactery to disappear and he saved O'Chul at the cost of an hour and a half or so of evil soul-possession and getting Xykon himself pretty pissed off.

He also helped create something of a wedge in the Xykon/Redcloak relationship.

Whether it's worth it is one thing, but it most certainly was not a wasted effort.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Question: Is "rear end in a top hat" the strongest word we've seen yet in OotS? Rich does not seem to be one for swearing, or things close to that.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Neito posted:

Question: Is "rear end in a top hat" the strongest word we've seen yet in OotS? Rich does not seem to be one for swearing, or things close to that.

Off the top of my head (and from skimming some of the Azure City invasion arc earlier today) he's said "bitch" more than once.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Neito posted:

Hell, drat, bitch, goddamn, rear end, and now rear end in a top hat have all made an appearance.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

V. Illych L. posted:

Whether it's worth it is one thing, but it most certainly was not a wasted effort.

Except all the good things he did was quite by accident. None of it was his intention and I wouldn't even credit him with O'Chuls escape. O'Chul escaped himself by befriending the MitD.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
For anyone thinking Redcloak was getting too comfortable being Supreme Leader of Azure City and sharing Big Bad limelight with Xykon after the siege, this strip is hella reassertment of just who the master is.

Also, where do we think (MitD?) has teleported V and O-Chul? Back to Azure City to get the show on the road or somewhere else for more personal reflection? I'd love to see O-Chul just lambast V over his choices for the past few strips.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

O-Chul has become one of my favorite characters in the strip. He's badass, but he's also the perfect embodiment of what a Paladin should be. Noble, loyal, self-sacrificing for the greater good, and living those things in order to convert evil to the side of good.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Nilbop posted:

Also, where do we think (MitD?) has teleported V and O-Chul? Back to Azure City to get the show on the road or somewhere else for more personal reflection? I'd love to see O-Chul just lambast V over his choices for the past few strips.

I'm hoping that MiTD's `teleport' was something that sends the target to where he wants to go rather than to where the caster wants to send them; that way V will hopefully land somewhere near the rest of the group and we can see an end to this arc. Having a split party has overstayed its welcome and I'd like to see some progress towards the gates.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

ConfusedUs posted:

O-Chul has become one of my favorite characters in the strip. He's badass, but he's also the perfect embodiment of what a Paladin should be: not a dumbass.

That's how I feel about it. While my DnD knowledge is pretty restricted to games and the like, Paladins have always come across as fighters with a bit of magic on the side. However they have to act like holier than thou retards who have blind devotion to a cause and can never waver because they'll lose their powers.

Mr Deliciousman
Apr 29, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, if I am not mistaken, we are one resurrection away from having the band back together.

brb, going to spraypaint O-CHUL LIVES on some walls or something.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Don't die, O-Chul! :dance:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wow, that's pretty much the best possible outcome. Nice work, MitD!

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
O-Chul is diplomatic to the last.

My god is he a well-done paladin. :h:

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Truly classy move on O-Chul's part. I really wouldn't have expected it. Great writing.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

How DID Haley and Elan get there? The Paladins are supposed to be somewhere in the elven frontier right now, while the OotS was in Greysky. And V left each of them there one scene ago. And nobody except V knew where she left the Azurites. And nobody in OotS can teleport at the moment.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

V teleported them to the fleet.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
If Durkon has more than one Wind Walk prepared, he could cast it on himself and four others since he's greater than 12th level, which is enough to get Haley, Elan, Belkar and either raised Roy or Celia (or possibly both if he's 15th level, since Elan is probably 14th or higher judging by the fact that he's got Mass Cure Light Wounds, which is a 5th level spell).

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mr Deliciousman posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, if I am not mistaken, we are one resurrection away from having the band back together.

Note that Durkon is off panel. The res is probably done by now.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Taerkar posted:

V teleported them to the fleet.

:doh: I guess I glossed over that fact as I was scrambling to check the cast page when Haley stole that diamond from her own past.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Note that Durkon is off panel. The res is probably done by now.

Only three minutes passed, tops. Ten minutes is along time in rounds and Haley and Elan are just now reaching Hinjo with news that V has gone to kill Xykon.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

LightWarden posted:

If Durkon has more than one Wind Walk prepared, he could cast it on himself and four others since he's greater than 12th level, which is enough to get Haley, Elan, Belkar and either raised Roy or Celia (or possibly both if he's 15th level, since Elan is probably 14th or higher judging by the fact that he's got Mass Cure Light Wounds, which is a 5th level spell).

Celia doesn't need a spell to fly, so I think he could get everyone underway, including V (if he's not 15th level already he likely will be once the quest xp for reuniting the party gets handed out).

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

DoctorTristan posted:

Celia doesn't need a spell to fly, so I think he could get everyone underway, including V (if he's not 15th level already he likely will be once the quest xp for reuniting the party gets handed out).
Yeah but can she keep up?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

Only three minutes passed, tops. Ten minutes is along time in rounds and Haley and Elan are just now reaching Hinjo with news that V has gone to kill Xykon.

You have got to be kidding me. Just reading all that dialogue in Xykon's throne room out loud takes at least 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

sfwarlock posted:

You have got to be kidding me. Just reading all that dialogue in Xykon's throne room out loud takes at least 10 minutes.

Talking is a free action.